Why do many (most?) notable pilots have mustache?

Have never seen an obese pilot.
Swing by ONZ and I'll take you for a ride.

Used to work with a pilot that had to be over the 350 mark. I never offered to take him for a ride on account of what there was no way we could have been anywhere close to gross weight even with empty tanks in my ride.

Bob Hoover..........

St7ruv.jpg
Bob Hoover always sported a killer stashe

I’ve always thought mustaches are old school. Most guys who continue to wear one are lost in the 80’s and heavily date themselves because of it.

I don't need a 'stache to date me. Thin gray hair and wrinkles do that handily enough. Shaving off the moustache would not make me look any younger or contemporary. Old folks that try to look young often just look pathetic. Grow old gracefully, guys.

But we can go back and forth for many pages as there are many that would fall into either camp but in the end I do believe that the number without mustaches will be far greater than those with.

The list is skewed to the non-moustache side by the fact that some guys can't grow worthwhile facial hair.

Yeah they all be clean cut fighter pilots like...

07A57557-42D9-45DC-AA3C-266AC06527C1.jpeg

....oh wait.

Without a doubt

Dumbest

Thread

Ever

!!!!!
Challenge accepted...

...not really. I can’t compete with riding a blue doughnut on a 1500-mile solo cross country. Nor can I even think of a flying mission that would require a 400-knot plane that runs on 3 gph of cheap whiskey and carries 10 people plus golf clubs and would be a good first plane for someone who is just thinking about taking lessons. Sad to say that this thread is not the dumbest ever. I actually learned about the Army warrant officer mustache tradition from this thread, which puts it out of the running for dumbest ever.

Lean, but no 'stache. None of the dozen or so local pilots I know have any facial hair.

Stan, one of the young female co-workers walked by while I was reading at lunch and thought you were ANDERSON Cooper:confused::D

The best pilot of the 20th century, the late LTJG Nick 'Goose' Bradshaw, had a stache.

In San Diego, there's a bunch of T-shirts that read, "If I was PIC, Goose would still be alive!";)

Pilots were/are skinny because they can't afford to fly and eat. One or the other, but not both.
Professional pilots are skinny so they can stuff them into the midget sized cockpits of the planes they have to fly.
Why is it they can build a plane that will carry 300 or more passengers, but you can't be taller than Peter Dinklage and fit into a cockpit comfortably.
Maybe if they charged pilots to fly airliners they might get first class passenger sized seats?
Lears and most Pipers come to mind as being cramped. Also the 727 was a personal favorite of mine. I could damage almost every body part getting in and out of the cockpit.
Just my .02 cents.
When I was a docent at the Hiller Museum in Redwood City, CA, one of the other docents, a retired Pan Am mechanic, told me the pilot and co-pilot seats were cramped because those two people didn't generate revenue. Of course, w/o those two people, the plane wouldn't get very far.:)

Have never seen an obese pilot.
Really? I've seen plenty. I was grounded once waiting on my SI paperwork to go through. I was traveling commercial and I noticed several obese crew members as I waited for my flight. I thought to myself "captain cardiac here has a 1st class and I'm grounded, go figure".

Stan, one of the young female co-workers walked by while I was reading at lunch and thought you were ANDERSON Cooper:confused::D
Well, we do both have white hair (pre-maturely, of course).
I just wish I had his income. :D

This guy must be the best pilot ever.

upload_2018-11-5_20-2-58.png

I don’t have to worry about this as I can’t grow a stache or a beard for that matter. I can skip shaving for a month and look like what most guys do after two days.

The list is skewed to the non-moustache side by the fact that some guys can't grow worthwhile facial hair.

Hey! Leave me outa your argument! I can have a good five o'clock shadow by tomorrow afternoon. Of course, I shaved last night . . . . My hair is where it belongs (on my head and chest), not where it must be trimmed daily. :devil:

Make it stop, please. . .though it was good to Robin Olds and Ed Rasimus mentioned.

Here is a quick list of some famous or noteworthy aviators from various eras and facets of aviation and whether they had mustaches or not. The yes or no is based upon how they predominantly were and not whether they ever had one in some obscure photo.

Wilbur Wright – no
Orville Wright- yes
Glenn Curtis - yes
Charles Lindbergh – no
Eddie Rickenbacker - no
Jimmy Doolittle – no
Roscoe Turner - yes
Claire Chennault - no
Dick Bong -no
Tommy McGuire – yes
Pappy Boyington – yes
Joe Foss – no
Gabby Gabreski - no
Chuck Yeager - no
Bob Hoover- yes
Scott Crossfield - no
Paul Mantz - yes
Howard Hughes - yes
Art Scholl - yes
Neil Armstrong – no
Buzz Aldrin - no
Duke Cunningham – no
Robin Olds – yes
Tex Johnson – yes
Steve Hinton Sr. – no
Steve Hinton Jr. – no
Darryl Greenamyer – no
Clay Lacy - no
Paul Poberezny – no
Gene Soucy - no
Dick Rutan – no
Michael Goulian – no
Kirby Chambliss – no
Sean Tucker - no

And now for the ladies.
Amelia Earhart – no
Jackie Cochran – no
Bessie Coleman – no
Pancho Barnes – possibly
Patty Wagstaff - no
All other famous lady pilots - no

I could have used far more military pilots and astronauts to add to the no count but that would be piling on.

And by the way, all of the above are more noteworthy and contributed far more to aviation than Sully except to those most unfamiliar with aviation history.

Sully... seriously? That was your go to guy? LOL!!

But we can go back and forth for many pages as there are many that would fall into either camp but in the end I do believe that the number without mustaches will be far greater than those with.

Mac McClain-yes
Bill Destefani-Yes (not anymore)
Ron Hevle-yes
Skip Holm-yes
John Crocker-yes
John Penney-can’t recall
Bob Hannah-depends on when

Looks like Sully has removed his badassery badge. Is still a badass, and so is Jeff. Jeff has an awesome mustach too. Was that mentioned?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Back