Why do many (most?) notable pilots have mustache?

from the old, open cockpit days, ... flying at night in icing conditions, if your mustache froze, your wings probably were too....

I used to have a little more than a moustache... It had been a good bit longer than that- I started trimming it back little by little. I had let it grow untrimmed for 5 years. :)

Attachments

• beardedpilot.jpg
    beardedpilot.jpg
    345.8 KB · Views: 41
I used to have a little more than a moustache... It had been a good bit longer than that- I started trimming it back little by little. I had let it grow untrimmed for 5 years. :)
This is seriously amazing. You win at PoA!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

images
airplane-wing-forms-configuration2.gif

Thuds his first tour, Phantoms his second tour. He wrote two excellent books about each of those tours, great reads, plus helped on Gen Robin Olds book, “Fighter Pilot”.

Believe it was in one of Ed's books, pilots all had mustaches as a superstition for good luck, a junior pilot did not want to grow a mustache because it would look patchy , he shaved it off when on R&R and trying to meet some girls.. first mission back he gets shot down (safely ejects) and the commander chewed him out for not having a mustache.

provides a better fit for the emergency oxygen mask !

It's my observation. Not sure if most, but many, especially the ones that are/were known for whatever reason. The typical seasoned pilot is a man in his 50s wearing a mustache, a lean face and figure. :)
I believe Amelia Erhart was mustache-less :D

It hides the sweating upper lip when things go south...

Back