When dreams come true... (long)

Firstly, Loren, congratulations to you for your accomplishments and daring to step out of your world to pursue your dreams.

Bloody hell, what is this, a zero to hero launch to Mars? From the OP I gather the first interview was 12FEB yet here it is 28APR and there is STILL more to go before LOFT? Perhaps someone cares to clue me in why its taking so long.

So far Loren has exhibited a gracious attitude about the drawn out process but I would not be surprised if at least secretly he has become exasperated on some level. At this rate he'll age out before taking the line. Just maybe that is what they are looking for...so they can check off that box.

Nonetheless, I imagine Loren is enjoying the ride. Sort of like a IPC/HP/Hi Alt/Jet BFR for free.

it's not uncommon to wait 30-60 days waiting for IOE , after your check ride
..even at mainline ....I know several who have had to repeat a check ride since they couldn't consolidate within 100 days

I really enjoy reading your posts! Sounds like your are doing a great job. Good luck on the rest of the training!

I see nothing different in his experiences other than the normal training and evaluations of any other folks I've known who went 121.

It's a serious business and the carriers do take initial training and evals quite seriously.

It's not particularly long. It may seem long to us private pilots who take a single check ride and an every two year training, but remember he will be evaluated or taught in the sim every six months for the rest of his career.

A few weeks doing systems and simulators on a new type is completely normal in the pro world. Not to mention some significant time with a line instructor doing IOE before flying with someone from the standard pool of folks bidding lines.

I have really enjoyed reading this thread and congratulate you for making the dream come true!

I am in a very similar situation as you and have been seriously considering applying to either some regionals or perhaps a couple of the larger players. It is extremely tempting and reading about your experience makes it even more so.

Have fun and keep us all posted!

Abram Finkelstein
N48KY

Firstly, Loren, congratulations to you for your accomplishments and daring to step out of your world to pursue your dreams.

Bloody hell, what is this, a zero to hero launch to Mars? From the OP I gather the first interview was 12FEB yet here it is 28APR and there is STILL more to go before LOFT? Perhaps someone cares to clue me in why its taking so long.

So far Loren has exhibited a gracious attitude about the drawn out process but I would not be surprised if at least secretly he has become exasperated on some level. At this rate he'll age out before taking the line. Just maybe that is what they are looking for...so they can check off that box.

Nonetheless, I imagine Loren is enjoying the ride. Sort of like a IPC/HP/Hi Alt/Jet BFR for free.

Yes, it's been a long process....but there's a HUGE amount of information to acquire and procedures to learn. I had no idea how much was actually involved.

Part of the extra time has been my airlines attempt to keep EVERYONE moving forward by segmenting the training into 3-5 day stretches with 3-5 days off to allow other classmates access to the sims. There just aren't enough sims and instructors to push all the new hires through in a non-stop fashion.

But those gaps have helped me, giving me some time to reflect, practice and solidify the learning. The only time I felt it bit me was in maneuvers training. Just when we were getting the hang of some things we had a break and lost some ground. But it's all working out in the end.

So, I completed my second LOFT last night (at 2 a.m.!), shuttling 42 imaginary passengers from SFO to LAX gate to gate, and got signed off for my ride. But there wasn't an examiner available in Cincinnati tomorrow so I jumpseated to SLC today so I can do my checkride tomorrow.

I've got more I plan to share but at the moment I'm exhausted! Hope to share good news tomorrow. I still can't believe I'm here, and that's after living it for almost three months!

Air Carrier training has to follow an approved program. Unlike GA where an Instructor can say "Hey, we'll just give you a couple of times around the pattern and you're good to go", each and every pilot will get the same training regardless of previous experience. It's called "standardization".

Initial training requires classroom on company procedures and manuals, hazmat, emergency procedures, CRM, Threat and Error Management, etc. Usually this part takes a month or so (depending on how busy the training department is).

The simulator portion can have a footprint of about 5 weeks (Loren is doing AQP (Advance Qualifications Program).

So all in all I would say he's on track. After sim training and a check ride he will have IOE (Initial Operating Experience) where he will fly with an Instructor Captain and learn line procedures. This usually is about 25 hours ( a week or so). Then after all this he get's to go back to the classroom and sim for recurrent (not sure what his airlines program is for that).

Yep, you know the program. Our IOE is actually 40 hours. I also have two days of differences training the end of May (one day ground, one day sims) for the 700/900 aircraft. IOE will probably start in June. I plan to jumpseat several flights to keep my head in the game if there's a delay in IOE.

As for recurrent, we have quarterly online CBTs we need to complete (about ten this quarter) plus annual recurrent ground and sim training for FOs. CA are six months, I believe.

Yep, you know the program. Our IOE is actually 40 hours. I also have two days of differences training the end of May (one day ground, one day sims) for the 700/900 aircraft. IOE will probably start in June. I plan to jumpseat several flights to keep my head in the game if there's a delay in IOE.

As for recurrent, we have quarterly online CBTs we need to complete (about ten this quarter) plus annual recurrent ground and sim training for FOs. CA are six months, I believe.

40 hours seems steep for a CRJ. But, considering for a lot of the new hires, they've never done more than 200 knots, I guess I can see the point. I'm really really hoping to consolidate within the allotted time frame, I don't want to go back to the sweatbox any sooner than I have to

Yes, it's been a long process....but there's a HUGE amount of information to acquire and procedures to learn. I had no idea how much was actually involved.

Part of the extra time has been my airlines attempt to keep EVERYONE moving forward by segmenting the training into 3-5 day stretches with 3-5 days off to allow other classmates access to the sims. There just aren't enough sims and instructors to push all the new hires through in a non-stop fashion.

But those gaps have helped me, giving me some time to reflect, practice and solidify the learning. The only time I felt it bit me was in maneuvers training. Just when we were getting the hang of some things we had a break and lost some ground. But it's all working out in the end.

So, I completed my second LOFT last night (at 2 a.m.!), shuttling 42 imaginary passengers from SFO to LAX gate to gate, and got signed off for my ride. But there wasn't an examiner available in Cincinnati tomorrow so I jumpseated to SLC today so I can do my checkride tomorrow.

I've got more I plan to share but at the moment I'm exhausted! Hope to share good news tomorrow. I still can't believe I'm here, and that's after living it for almost three months!

Awesome, Loren. Keep them coming. I'm looking forward to the thread where we can post pictures of POA members standing next to FO Jonesy standing in the door of the flight deck. You know, kind of like those pictures that you take with a traveling gnome. :D

40 hours seems steep for a CRJ. But, considering for a lot of the new hires, they've never done more than 200 knots, I guess I can see the point. I'm really really hoping to consolidate within the allotted time frame, I don't want to go back to the sweatbox any sooner than I have to

I think the FAA requires 25 and SkyWest tends to be conservative. I, too, would prefer to spend the time in the plane rather than the rocking treehouse!

Awesome, Loren. Keep them coming. I'm looking forward to the thread where we can post pictures of POA members standing next to FO Jonesy standing in the door of the flight deck. You know, kind of like those pictures that you take with a traveling gnome. :D

Hey, I like the concept! Should I use "First Officer Jonesy" in my announcements? :dunno:

Delta wants 35 in OE - some of us then had to do 2x TOE trips also before getting the LCA training wheels removed. :D

Good luck on your check ride!
Our IOE (now called just OE) was 40 hours by company policy.
I believe consolidation is 120 days with possible extension to 150. The good part is that includes IOE.

Good luck on your check ride!
Our IOE (now called just OE) was 40 hours by company policy.
I believe consolidation is 120 days with possible extension to 150. The good part is that includes IOE.

Our consolidation times are the same.

Here's a thought. Once Loren gets a regular route we need to schedule a POA flight where a bunch of us end up on a leg with Loren flying. That would be a real hoot, and we can all make snide comments about his landing while walking off the plane!!!!

Delta wants 35 in OE - some of us then had to do 2x TOE trips also before getting the LCA training wheels removed. :D

Nothing wrong with more, I did I think 28 hours on IOE. I was sort of surprised we didn't have to do more than the 25 hours that the FAA says is the minimum. But hey, when it's freight, the things in the back don't really care.

Come on Loren! It's 8:30 and no update yet. You're killin' me man!

Sorry to keep you in suspense....see attached!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 102
It was possibly the easiest checkride I've done....even easier than MEI which I thought was pretty easy. Had a great captain seat-sitting which was a big help. I only muffed one thing on the LAX departure but sorted it out fairly quickly and had an uneventful flight to PHX with the ILS to rwy 8. After a quick turn I was Pilot Monitoring on flight from PHX to SLC. Very simple when all was said and done.

And I still don't completely believe I've just earned my ATP with CL-65 Type Rating with RVSM and CAT II qualifications....one week shy of my 58th birthday!

It's crazy. But I'm loving every second of it!

Here's a thought. Once Loren gets a regular route we need to schedule a POA flight where a bunch of us end up on a leg with Loren flying. That would be a real hoot, and we can all make snide comments about his landing while walking off the plane!!!!

Now THAT would be fun!

Note updated sig line...

.................. vvvvvvvvvvvv

Last edited:
It was possibly the easiest checkride I've done....even easier than MEI which I thought was pretty easy. Had a great captain seat-sitting which was a big help. I only muffed one thing on the LAX departure but sorted it out fairly quickly and had an uneventful flight to PHX with the ILS to rwy 8. After a quick turn I was Pilot Monitoring on flight from PHX to SLC. Very simple when all was said and done.

And I still don't completely believe I've just earned my ATP with CL-65 Type Rating with RVSM and CAT II qualifications....one week shy of my 58th birthday!

It's crazy. But I'm loving every second of it!

Good job! Have fun with it!

Good thing they dont make you retire 2 years from now.

Congratulations !!

Good thing they dont make you retire 2 years from now.

Congratulations !!

Yep, the age-65 change happening five years ago was one of the elements in the "perfect storm" of events that made this adventure possible. Now I have a shot at picking up 5-7,000 hours of turbine time before 65 so I am positioned to fly corporate jets for a few years as my "retirement" gig like a couple of friends are doing. :)

Hehe! Yes!

Talking to a seat-mate:

"Man, FO Jonesy must have been a Navy pilot. I think he was trying to snag the third wire on a pitching deck." (Followed with visual sign of disgust and implying that I could do it sooooo much better.)

:D

Back