When dreams come true... (long)

As long as you are jumpseating, it doesn't matter where you are in the plane, you are part of the crew and as such aren't permitted to drink.

In case both the captain and the FO had the fish :wink2:

In case both the captain and the FO had the fish :wink2:

It's been interesting how most captains go out of their way to include me in their various briefings (i.e. Approach briefing) when I'm in the jumpseat. I'm there to observe and learn so appreciate the effort.

. . . a night's rest in a crew lounge recliner....:yes::D...

Really? You couldn't spring for the $70 crew rate for a real bed? Way to perpetuate the cheap airline pilot stereotype.

And no, you are not allowed to play the new hire card, counselor!

:rofl:

Really? You couldn't spring for the $70 crew rate for a real bed? Way to perpetuate the cheap airline pilot stereotype.

And no, you are not allowed to play the new hire card, counselor!

:rofl:

Ha! There's something about $70 to use a bed for six hours. My inner-cheapskate came out.

He is saving that $70 for a litre or two of beer at the Houfbrauhouse I think

Wow, an attorney becomes a commercial pilot. If this becomes a trend then we may begin to see more of this:

attachment.php

Attachments

• LawPilot.jpg
    LawPilot.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
Disclaimer: I was totally put up to that ^
I was paid great sums of money by someone whose name shall not be revealed but rhymes with: Tim Winters

Bryan, that don't look like no CRJ! :no:

Um look again.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Law2Pilot.jpg
    Law2Pilot.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 178
Have had that one in my audio collection since the original iPod. Haha. Hilarious.

Disclaimer: I was totally put up to that ^
I was paid great sums of money by someone whose name shall not be revealed but rhymes with: Tim Winters

What? Blame me? No way I'm that creative. :whistle:

;)

(Really nice job BTW)

Last edited:
Getting this thread back on track....

I'm enjoying some paid vacation while they work on scheduling my IOE. I'm trying to jumpseat at least a couple of round trips each week to observe and keep my head in the game with the checklists, profiles, callouts, etc. I'm picking up my MSP parking pass tomorrow to make that process easier.

I've got differences training for the 700/900 later this month. I've done all the CBTs on the differences...they simplified a bunch of things from the 200. Probably the biggest difference is landing attitude since the 7 & 9 have leading edge slats so has a much higher deck angle on approach. Plus they're longer, so your gear is hanging farther below you during landing, leading to firmer arrivals on your first few landings. You also lose the forgiving trailing link gear make those firm arrivals all the more noticeable!

Anxious to get flying, although I'm enjoying being back with my students and getting them moving forward again...and being paid by my airline AND my students! :wink2:

Getting this thread back on track....

I'm enjoying some paid vacation while they work on scheduling my IOE. I'm trying to jumpseat at least a couple of round trips each week to observe and keep my head in the game with the checklists, profiles, callouts, etc. I'm picking up my MSP parking pass tomorrow to make that process easier.

I've got differences training for the 700/900 later this month. I've done all the CBTs on the differences...they simplified a bunch of things from the 200. Probably the biggest difference is landing attitude since the 7 & 9 have leading edge slats so has a much higher deck angle on approach. Plus they're longer, so your gear is hanging farther below you during landing, leading to firmer arrivals on your first few landings. You also lose the forgiving trailing link gear make those firm arrivals all the more noticeable!

Anxious to get flying, although I'm enjoying being back with my students and getting them moving forward again...and being paid by my airline AND my students! :wink2:
Jonesy, I have found setting up cockpit posters in my kitchen to be far superior to riding jump seat. Overhead panel is hanging out of microwave, front panel out of oven, pedestal on a trunk dragged from living room, as are two chairs on either side of trunk. Wife plays captain with checklists while I do flows. It works. Actually, my wife knows the flows as good as me.
Keep in mind after IOE you may go through long spells of no flying while you are on reserve.

Jonesy, I have found setting up cockpit posters in my kitchen to be far superior to riding jump seat. Overhead panel is hanging out of microwave, front panel out of oven, pedestal on a trunk dragged from living room, as are two chairs on either side of trunk. Wife plays captain with checklists while I do flows. It works. Actually, my wife knows the flows as good as me.
Keep in mind after IOE you may go through long spells of no flying while you are on reserve.

Yeah, I've done that too in my office. Plus I review my cheat sheets and practice a little every day. We're so short-handed in MiSP that there's virtually no reserve at this time. I'm sure that will change as they ramp up but hopefully my seniority will go up accordingly to minimize the reserve time.

Have had that one in my audio collection since the original iPod. Haha. Hilarious.

That's been around for years. I remember getting it eMailed to me almost 20 years ago.

That's been around for years. I remember getting it eMailed to me almost 20 years ago.

First iPod was released in late 2001. I didn't have one (had a Rio) until 2002 or so. So I didn't have it quite 20 years ago, but 13 at least. It may have been on a hard drive before that. :)

Update: While waiting for my "differences" training to start and IOE to get scheduled I've been riding jumpseats as often as possible to keep my head in the game. One by one my classmates have been getting their IOE scheduled so hopefully mine will start next week.

I'm currently in differences training in SLC. It's amazing the enhancements they made to the CRJ 700/900s, significantly improving and simplifying so many aspects of the aircraft. I hit the 700 sim this afternoon so am looking forward to checking out the different "feel" it has...and see how bad my landings are without the forgiving trailing link gear. Should be interesting.

I did notice the FAA's airman database now reflects my ATP and type rating so I expect to see the shiny new card this week if it hasn't already arrived in my absence.

Update: While waiting for my "differences" training to start and IOE to get scheduled I've been riding jumpseats as often as possible to keep my head in the game. One by one my classmates have been getting their IOE scheduled so hopefully mine will start next week.

I'm currently in differences training in SLC. It's amazing the enhancements they made to the CRJ 700/900s, significantly improving and simplifying so many aspects of the aircraft. I hit the 700 sim this afternoon so am looking forward to checking out the different "feel" it has...and see how bad my landings are without the forgiving trailing link gear. Should be interesting.

I did notice the FAA's airman database now reflects my ATP and type rating so I expect to see the shiny new card this week if it hasn't already arrived in my absence.

Have fun , the 700/900 fly like an entireley different plane...the slats make a huge difference in the approach and landing attitude.

Have fun , the 700/900 fly like an entireley different plane...the slats make a huge difference in the approach and landing attitude.

Yeah, it's a kick-butt airplane. I like it. But being out of the sim for a month added to the challenge. Some things came real easy, some others....not so much. By the time it was all said and done I had worked up a pretty good sweat. On a positive note, my sim partner who's flown the real deal for another airline, had quite a few "moments", too. Since he went first I was really freaking as I watched his errors! With all his experience I figured I would really be struggling. Not sure why he struggled on some of the things I felt were really straight forward. It was quite strange. I've never flown with him so don't know if it was a bad day or what?

Anyway...glad that's over! Now, to get to the real airplane before I forget everything! Can't wait.

One has slats and one doesn't?
No kidding... I know nothing (okay, very little) of aircraft type certification, but I thought slats would be an automatic dq for same type.

One has slats and one doesn't?
No kidding... I know nothing (okay, very little) of aircraft type certification, but I thought slats would be an automatic dq for same type.

I believe the shortest DC-9 version didnt have them either. The CRJ-2 is a Challenger 604 with a fuselage plug..the 700-900,and 1000 varients are basically a clean sheet design with much improved/automated yet common cockpit.

Yeah, it's a kick-butt airplane. I like it. But being out of the sim for a month added to the challenge. Some things came real easy, some others....not so much. By the time it was all said and done I had worked up a pretty good sweat. On a positive note, my sim partner who's flown the real deal for another airline, had quite a few "moments", too. Since he went first I was really freaking as I watched his errors! With all his experience I figured I would really be struggling. Not sure why he struggled on some of the things I felt were really straight forward. It was quite strange. I've never flown with him so don't know if it was a bad day or what?

Anyway...glad that's over! Now, to get to the real airplane before I forget everything! Can't wait.

Enjoy IOE, you will soon figure out what matters operationaly and whats fodder for reccurent Orals....ANYONE can have a bad day in the sim, Ive seen check-airman look like they were on a discovery flight...but over time the sim becomes less and less of a big deal.:wink2:

Last edited:
I believe the shortest DC-9 version didnt have them either. The CRJ-2 is a Challenger 604 with a fuselage plug..the 700-900,and 1000 varients are basically a clean sheet design with much improved/automated yet common cockpit.

Correct. DC-9-15 doesn't have slats, and was the first variant built. They approach very similar to a CRJ100/200, nose down. The -30 was the 2nd version built, and it brought slats the the party. The -40/50 are stretched from the -30. The -20 is a -15 fuselage with a -30 wing. All things aside, even though the -30 weighs more than the -15 empty, it generally has a slightly lower approach speed.

I've got no real preference between the -15 and the -30. They each fly different, but neither is bad.

In regards to a common type, the CRJ1000 is actually a different type rating, for some odd reason. IIRC, it has to do with the rudder control system, but don't quote me on that.

Jonesy, this may or may not pertain to you, but I finished up IOE in March, and was on reserve through April. I flew about three legs in all of April. In May I was awarded a line, and I am finally feeling like I have a good grasp on what's going on. My first few legs after IOE I felt like I was just occupying the seat. Running flows seems different and faster paced when it's for real.
At my company they say it takes about a year to feel completely cozy with everything.
My background is 20+ years of 135/91K type flying in jet aircraft.

Have fun and enjoy the ride!!

Well, the fuselage is the same with two additional plugs, but the wing is different. Then the systems improvements were significant. The environmental control system is a vast improvement over the 200. Amazing what a difference a few years experience with a design can do!

Enjoy IOE, you will soon figure out what matters operationaly and whats fodder for reccurent Orals....ANYONE can have a bad day in the sim, Ive seen check-airman look like they were on a discovery flight...but over time the sim becomes less and less of a big deal.:wink2:

Thanks for the encouragement. I know it will get easier once I'm on line and exercising all this learning multiple times a day. I'm anxious to get into the real thing and away from the "sim'isms"!

Jonesy, this may or may not pertain to you, but I finished up IOE in March, and was on reserve through April. I flew about three legs in all of April. In May I was awarded a line, and I am finally feeling like I have a good grasp on what's going on. My first few legs after IOE I felt like I was just occupying the seat. Running flows seems different and faster paced when it's for real.
At my company they say it takes about a year to feel completely cozy with everything.
My background is 20+ years of 135/91K type flying in jet aircraft.

Have fun and enjoy the ride!!

Congrats! The biggest I'd flown before this is a Duke and a 414, so going to 53,000 lbs is a pretty big leap. But it's been a fun ride so far. One of my study group guys just finished his IOE and is holding a line in June. That's pretty crazy. Crazy times in the airline industry.

For those interested, first IOE trip is on the schedule...starting this Sunday June 7. It's a four-day trip with 13 segments and 17 hours of flying time. I'm looking forward to get flying!

Attachments

• Schedule.jpg
    Schedule.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 70
For those interested, first IOE trip is on the schedule...starting this Sunday June 7. It's a four-day trip with 13 segments and 17 hours of flying time. I'm looking forward to get flying!

If you're getting paid to fly, is it really acceptable to fly with a ****-eating grin for all 13 segments?

Enjoy, Jonesy!

If you're getting paid to fly, is it really acceptable to fly with a ****-eating grin for all 13 segments?

Enjoy, Jonesy!

You can be assured there will be a huge grin on my face the first time I push those thrust levers forward!

You can be assured there will be a huge grin on my face the first time I push those thrust levers forward!

There's gotta be no better feeling. Have fun and let us know how it went. I'm living vicariously through you slightly. Same thing with my CFI who's flying Embraers all over the place. He's a young buck at 23 or so but I'm really happy for the kid. Happy for you too:yes:

I'm thrilled my first flight is into KBIS. Having learned to fly in ND I've flown into Bismarck countless times in all types of singles and a twin or two over the last 37 years, most recently last summer in a Bonanza while working in the oil patch. To go there next week in a CRJ is going to be a real rush.

Back