When dreams come true... (long)

Well, it could be the LaQuinta :wink2:

Congrats again. Looks like this is getting real.

For those interested, first IOE trip is on the schedule...starting this Sunday June 7. It's a four-day trip with 13 segments and 17 hours of flying time. I'm looking forward to get flying!

That's what ya call takin' things one hour at a time.

Hey, I'm still pinching myself. Maybe when IOE is complete I'll actually start believing it's real. I'm happy to take the one hour at a time...I want lots of practice on all the flows, profiles, callouts, etc. That's trickier than the actual flying. Hopefully those newly acquired skills will consolidate and become second-nature quickly.

I'll be sure to post some first-day pics!

Dang Jonesy, If you were a new lawyer in '82, you and I are very near the same age.

I was a Huey back seat rider (crew chief/mechanic/stewardess/lifeguard/medic) back then. Got my PP-ASEL in '91 just for fun.

I'd love to just do scenic flights and tailwheel endorsements as a hobby when I quit my real job in a couple of years. You've given me hope!

Last edited:
Dang Jonesy, If you were a new lawyer in '82, you and I are very near the same age.

I was a Huey back seat rider (crew chief/mechanic/stewardess/lifeguard/medic) back then. Got my PP-ASEL in '91 just for fun.

I'd love to just do scenic flights and tailwheel endorsements as a hobby when I quit my real job in a couple of years. You've given me hope!

No reason you can't! I'm planning to fly my butt off in the CRJ for the next seven years, then maybe try for a corporate jet flying gig for a few years after I age out of 121 flying. After that, I'll retire in FL or AZ and teach soaring til I can no longer crawl into or out of a glider! :D

For those interested, first IOE trip is on the schedule...starting this Sunday June 7. It's a four-day trip with 13 segments and 17 hours of flying time. I'm looking forward to get flying!
Too bad I'm not working on the 7th. I'd make sure I'd fuel you up in BIS. Then watch as you do the preflight ;)

Bismarck... Yikes!! At least it's not January!!

I did most of my flight training at UND in Grand Forks. I never want to experience cold like that again.

Too bad I'm not working on the 7th. I'd make sure I'd fuel you up in BIS. Then watch as you do the preflight ;)

:thumbsup::thumbsup: I suspect there will be future opportunities. Just watch for the hefty FO with grey around the edges and a big grin on his face!

Bismarck... Yikes!! At least it's not January!!

I did most of my flight training at UND in Grand Forks. I never want to experience cold like that again.

Hey, Grand Forks made you tough! I did most of my advanced ratings there (though Part 61) while attending law school at UND....a long, long time ago. Orville and Wilbur hand-propped my trainer.

Hey, Grand Forks made you tough! I did most of my advanced ratings there (though Part 61) while attending law school at UND....a long, long time ago. Orville and Wilbur hand-propped my trainer.

And that was before global warming, so it was even colder :) .

Loren, I'm sorry if I missed it earlier in the thread, but we're you expected to know CRJ systems and such for the initial hiring interview?

Loren, I'm sorry if I missed it earlier in the thread, but we're you expected to know CRJ systems and such for the initial hiring interview?

No. For the interview they asked you to diagram the electrical system for an airplane you currently flew (preferably a twin but not necessarily required.) And they had you draw a turbine engine and explain its operations. They didn't expect any CRJ knowledge.

There are some on-line gouges detailing the interviews of multiple candidates and they were spot-on with what I experienced. They even alluded to it in the debrief. They said, "You obviously found the on-line gouges and were well-prepared." I think they'd count it against you if you hadn't found them....sort of a "due diligence" test!

Can't speak for Jonesy's interview, but I'm betting no. You are expected to know your current aircraft, whether that's an A380 or a C152.

No. For the interview they asked you to diagram the electrical system for an airplane you currently flew (preferably a twin but not necessarily required.) And they had you draw a turbine engine and explain its operations. They didn't expect any CRJ knowledge.

There are some on-line gouges detailing the interviews of multiple candidates and they were spot-on with what I experienced. They even alluded to it in the debrief. They said, "You obviously found the on-line gouges and were well-prepared." I think they'd count it against you if you hadn't found them....sort of a "due diligence" test!

Sorry... Didn't mean to post over you...

Can't speak for Jonesy's interview, but I'm betting no. You are expected to know your current aircraft, whether that's an A380 or a C152.

I'd tell them that I could diagram the systems on the SR-71, but then I'd have to kill you. Next question? :yikes::D

I'd tell them that I could diagram the systems on the SR-71, but then I'd have to kill you. Next question? :yikes::D
Lol!!! You could draw two gens, two batts, a main buss, and an emer buss. Put some sort of cross tie between them. They would never know the difference!!

Jonesy, can you say your call sign? Not sure which regional you are with but would like to be on the "hear"out for you. If you would rather not say, I get that completely...

:thumbsup::thumbsup: I suspect there will be future opportunities. Just watch for the hefty FO with grey around the edges and a big grin on his face!

I'll be looking for you in KRAP soon.

:D

Jonesy, can you say your call sign? Not sure which regional you are with but would like to be on the "hear"out for you. If you would rather not say, I get that completely...

I've never been a regional guy, and I certainly don't want to call out LDJones, but draw an electrical system and a turbine engine? There's really only one that I can think of that does that. What would be the opposite of GroundEast? :D

Great thread, BTW. The airline ranks are full of complainers and guys that'll never be happy. This is true whether you're at a regional or at Delta. Now, I'm fully aware of all the things that can be better at my airline, but at the end of the day it's a pretty cool effing job. Thanks Jonsey for my daily dose of perspective. :thumbsup:

Ahh... SkyWest ?? Think I've heard of them, though I admit I'm not up on all of them.

Anyway, I'm happy for Loren. I don't know him personally, but I'm happy for anyone living their dream..!!

Anyway, I'm happy for Loren. I don't know him personally, but I'm happy for anyone living their dream..!!

Me too. I'm not sure what it is about pilots, but there seems to be a huge group that isn't happy unless they're tearing others down. This thread has been nothing but positive, and I'm thankful for that. Kick some ass out there Jonsey, and I hope to hear you out on the line!

It will be a SkyWest call sign. :thumbsup:

We push at 1:25 pm this Sunday headed to BIS.

I've never been a regional guy, and I certainly don't want to call out LDJones, but draw an electrical system and a turbine engine? There's really only one that I can think of that does that. What would be the opposite of GroundEast? :D

Great thread, BTW. The airline ranks are full of complainers and guys that'll never be happy. This is true whether you're at a regional or at Delta. Now, I'm fully aware of all the things that can be better at my airline, but at the end of the day it's a pretty cool effing job. Thanks Jonsey for my daily dose of perspective. :thumbsup:

I've committed myself to not wasting a single moment kvetching or complaining about airline life. I've got seven years to relish every second flying some awesomely cool turbine airplanes! Anyone I hear complain I'll kindly suggest they go sit in a corporate cubicle for a month and see just how good life is on a flight deck. :yes:

Ahh... SkyWest ?? Think I've heard of them, though I admit I'm not up on all of them.

Honestly, I never had heard of them before someone mentioned them here on POA and said they were hiring. I googled them, then spent the next twenty minutes learning about them. I was really impressed by what I read. It was their incessant "We're hiring! Apply here!" links on almost every page that led me to submit my online application that evening...expecting to never get a response.

Almost four months to the day that I submitted that application I'll be launching into the wild blue yonder in a freakin' JET while wearing epaulettes and sporting a brand new ATP certificate in my pocket.

Does life get any better than THAT???!! :D :D :D

Last edited:

I hope we meet in person one day. I've had the privilege of meeting several POA folks and have been impressed by each and every one.

My former CFI recently got hired by a to remain nameless regional. He's retired air force and over 50 if I recall. Thousands of combat hours and almost a thousand in NVGs too. Interesting to see who the regionals are hiring.

Best of luck Loren!

My former CFI recently got hired by a to remain nameless regional. He's retired air force and over 50 if I recall. Thousands of combat hours and almost a thousand in NVGs too. Interesting to see who the regionals are hiring.

Best of luck Loren!

Thanks! I'm certainly not alone in the ranks of "mature" new hires! It may be one of the few areas of the economy where age discrimination is NOT being practiced today!

Last edited:
Two days of my first IOE trip complete. Two more to go. I'm paired with an awesome young check airman who is a patient, thorough teacher, plus he's fun to be around. Even on layovers he's patiently answering questions and offering tons of operational tips. I feel lucky to have been paired with him.

The actual flying is the easy part. It's all the ancillary preparatory work that goes into a 121 commercial flight that is keeping me hopping! Load manifests, ACARS, FMS programming, dispatch paperwork, etc. it's amazing.

But what a ride the CRJ is proving to be. I love flying it. In many ways it's easier to fly than the sim. Jets are simply amazing machined.

I've been doing most of the takeoffs and landings and so far haven't embarrassed myself...at least that I can tell! Being in the upper Midwest we've been dodging thunderstorms and dealing with the conditions that go with them. All good experience building.

Four more flights tomorrow so that'll be a busy day. But it gets a little easier with ever repetition.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    348.8 KB · Views: 94
Any trips to the big ORD in the future?

Not on either of my next two trips. But I'm sure eventually I will get there. I'm doing Detroit, Fort Wayne, Ok City and Atlanta on one of the upcoming trips.

Not on either of my next two trips. But I'm sure eventually I will get there. I'm doing Detroit, Fort Wayne, Ok City and Atlanta on one of the upcoming trips.

Detroit and Atlanta? Yeesh.... :-D

Two days of my first IOE trip complete. Two more to go. I'm paired with an awesome young check airman who is a patient, thorough teacher, plus he's fun to be around. Even on layovers he's patiently answering questions and offering tons of operational tips. I feel lucky to have been paired with him.

The actual flying is the easy part. It's all the ancillary preparatory work that goes into a 121 commercial flight that is keeping me hopping! Load manifests, ACARS, FMS programming, dispatch paperwork, etc. it's amazing.

But what a ride the CRJ is proving to be. I love flying it. In many ways it's easier to fly than the sim. Jets are simply amazing machined.

I've been doing most of the takeoffs and landings and so far haven't embarrassed myself...at least that I can tell! Being in the upper Midwest we've been dodging thunderstorms and dealing with the conditions that go with them. All good experience building.

Four more flights tomorrow so that'll be a busy day. But it gets a little easier with ever repetition.
Awesome picture! Good luck pn the rest of the trip.

Ah, so that's what dork bars look like when they actually transform into "Man, I wish I could be wearing those" bars!

Jonesy, at one point early on I suggested that your CJ "divert" :wink: to KOSH sometime during the 3rd week of July. I take that back. There is no way your liver would survive the number of us who would be buying you a beer once you landed.

Enjoy, and keep the pics coming from the pointy end of the aluminum tube.

Awesome, just awesome. I don't know you from Adam, but I am so happy for you.

Back