When dreams come true... (long)

That's a definite. I might be up for a dinner with you one evening as well. I work in Cincy

good luck with sims and with your Job at OO , best advice that has always stuck with me when playing in the sweat box is "slow is fast" , it's an accuracy contest not a speed contest. Hope you enjoy the CRJ, especially the 7/900s...they are a very fun to fly.

Last edited:
good luck with sims and with your Job at OO , best advice that has always stuck with me when playing in the sweat box is "slow is fast" , it's an accuracy contest not a speed contest. Hope you enjoy the CRJ, especially the 7/900s...they are a very fun to fly.

In the simulator, "Speed Kills". ;)

Are you still going to be there on Sat, May 2nd? You need to come to Tim's party if you are!

I'd love to but that will be my first weekend home in a month. My IOE (Initial Operating Experience....flying with a check airman captain) will be starting the following week, so no rest for the newbie airline guy.

Thanks for the tip. Last night was our first night in the box and it was eye-opening...these things are so dang fast!! How do they expect you to fly it AND make umpteen callouts and checklist items?!? :wink2::goofy::rofl:

Seriously, it was challenging but more fun than I imagined. I've been hitting my flows, checklists and callouts hard today to be even better prepared tonight, although he had good things to say about both of us...although my partner was the one that made us look good.

Jets rock!

that's too bad Jonesy, it would have been like having a celebrity at the fly-in. When you get your schedule figured out I am still good for a dinner sometime while you are here.

In the simulator, "Speed Kills". ;)

I believe that. They talked about "One sip" problems and "Two sip" problems....that is, how many sips of your coffee you take before taking action on the problem to be solved! :D

that's too bad Jonesy, it would have been like having a celebrity at the fly-in. When you get your schedule figured out I am still good for a dinner sometime while you are here.

We have a break in our sims Fri-Mon this week if any of those work. They'll just be study days and a man has to eat! I'll give you a tour of FlightSafety if you drive down!

Update: Passed my Procedures Validation Wednesday. Went pretty well despite getting balled up for a few minutes programming the FMS...simple stupid mistake I won't repeat! Thankfully that was a minor part of it.

So I was supposed to have five days off to study for the next phase and next two Validations while some of my other ground school classmates do their five days of Procedures. But one of them got called up by his military unit while en route to training, so had to delay his training which left another classmate without a sim partner. I was asked if I'd be interested in sitting in since I had planned to stick around anyway. More jet sim practice? Heck, yeah, I'll do it!!

So I've been getting a double dose of procedures training from a different perspective with a new instructor which has been great, and has allowed me to focus on aspects I'll need to be sharp on before my next phase resumes next Tuesday.

BTW, if I haven't said so before, jets rock!! Unbelievably fun to to fly!

Last edited:
Update: Passed my Procedures Validation Wednesday. Went pretty well despite getting balled up for a few minutes programming the FMS...simple stupid mistake I won't repeat! Thankfully that was a minor part of it.

So what did the plane do ? Land at Ellsworth instead of KRAP ? Overfly MSP by 200 miles :)

So what did the plane do ? Land at Ellsworth instead of KRAP ? Overfly MSP by 200 miles :)

None of the above...just took longer to program prior to taxi than it should have. I did a practice run through the next day and had it programmed in half the time. They are amazing boxes, but require some practice to use quickly and efficiently.

The autopilot is also amazing....silky smooth.

I somehow mised this since I haven't been on PoA much, but congrats! I'm glad to see you're having so much fun with this and that you've been able to make it happen.

If you get some free time in CVG let me know.

So I was supposed to have five days off to study for the next phase and next two Validations while some of my other ground school classmates do their five days of Procedures. But one of them got called up by his military unit while en route to training, so had to delay his training which left another classmate without a sim partner. I was asked if I'd be interested in sitting in since I had planned to stick around anyway. More jet sim practice? Heck, yeah, I'll do it!!

So I've been getting a double dose of procedures training from a different perspective with a new instructor which has been great, and has allowed me to focus on aspects I'll need to be sharp on before my next phase resumes next Tuesday.

That extra sim time will stand you in good stead.

Interesting thing is the Airbus simulator and the airplane almost fly identical.

That doesn't surprise me, considering the amount of computers involved in the thing, which are probably more accurately modeled in the sim than anything else.

The best part about the sim we use is, it's configured differently than any of our airplanes are (panel wise). Not that that's a big deal, since none of our planes are identical to each other.

Awesome! Keep us updated captain.

For what it's worth, airplanes fly way better than the box does.

That's what I can't wait to find out. I've only ridden the jump seat once and the motion in the sim seems pretty close to what I remember from that flight.

I somehow mised this since I haven't been on PoA much, but congrats! I'm glad to see you're having so much fun with this and that you've been able to make it happen.

If you get some free time in CVG let me know.

Sent PM...would enjoy connecting.

That extra sim time will stand you in good stead.

Two extra sessions (four hours each) made a big difference. Glad I had the opportunity. I gave up today's session and tomorrow's to another classmate that is struggling. I want him to get the same boost I did.

That doesn't surprise me, considering the amount of computers involved in the thing, which are probably more accurately modeled in the sim than anything else.

The best part about the sim we use is, it's configured differently than any of our airplanes are (panel wise). Not that that's a big deal, since none of our planes are identical to each other.

These sims are very accurate in replicating our planes. Only visible difference is the standby attitude indicator.

Two extra sessions (four hours each) made a big difference. Glad I had the opportunity. I gave up today's session and tomorrow's to another classmate that is struggling. I want him to get the same boost I did.

Good on you.

I would think with the advances in sim technology, plus the fact that the FBW native language, as well as the factory aerodynamic modelling is in digital format, would allow for extremely accurate sim modeling.

I would think with the advances in sim technology, plus the fact that the FBW native language, as well as the factory aerodynamic modelling is in digital format, would allow for extremely accurate sim modeling.

Sure, on new airplanes. Not everything every airline flies is a new airplane.

Sure, on new airplanes. Not everything every airline flies is a new airplane.

Exactly, and that accounts for the variety of experience. The only one I trained in for real was a BAe-3100, and the sim was squirlier than the plane, but not by much.

The instructors assure us it's very close to the real deal. The real airplane is just more fun!

But the value of being able to almost instantly repeat a blown maneuver without additional flying around is invaluable, especially when you're feeling all the corresponding G-forces and sounds. It's accurate right down to the seams in the taxiways.

The instructors assure us it's very close to the real deal. The real airplane is just more fun!

But the value of being able to almost instantly repeat a blown maneuver without additional flying around is invaluable, especially when you're feeling all the corresponding G-forces and sounds. It's accurate right down to the seams in the taxiways.

Now that you are in maneuvers training you'll get the V1 cuts and windshear. Do you guys get to do jet upset recovery?

Now that you are in maneuvers training you'll get the V1 cuts and windshear. Do you guys get to do jet upset recovery?

Yes, we do. There's been a spate of high altitude low speed events recently so it has become a special emphasis area. I've heard the upset recovery can get your attention. Any tips?

Yes, we do. There's been a spate of high altitude low speed events recently so it has become a special emphasis area. I've heard the upset recovery can get your attention. Any tips?

Jets can be a bit different. It's not a test, it's training. Your instructor will show you a few techniques. Over all it's informative and can be fun.

Home run! Good education, good attitude paid off! Sounds great and congratulations to you! You'll do well!

Jets can be a bit different. It's not a test, it's training. Your instructor will show you a few techniques. Over all it's informative and can be fun. Since you have an extensive GA background you'll do fine.

Home run! Good education, good attitude paid off! Sounds great and congratulations to you! You'll do well!

Thanks! It's been a rush all the way through. Still pinch myself from time to time. As I watch my classmates who hit sims two weeks ahead of me flash their newly minted ATP Certs with CRJ Type I just smile realizing that might be me in two weeks, assuming I don't choke. I'm keeping my pedal to the metal on the studying to reduce the chance of failure.

Jets can be a bit different. It's not a test, it's training. Your instructor will show you a few techniques. Over all it's informative and can be fun. Since you have an extensive GA background you'll do fine.

I'm looking forward to it. We have three days of maneuvers, then three days off to complete our KV, then two more days of maneuvers followed by the MV. Then the LOFT and ILOE. It's going to go fast!

Last edited:
One more step in this loooong process complete: passed my Maneuvers Validation (KV) event tonight. I'm happy with the overall performance. Only got sloppy on a missed approach off a VOR approach. Still not sure what got kitty-whumpus with the autopilot but I just flew the plane and recovered. Did a do-over and performed as expected! Maybe a "sim-ism"!

My Knowledge Validation (KV), is tomorrow....a two hour oral on SOP, limitations, systems and anything else he thinks I should know. Say a prayer!

Good Luck Loren! I'm loving this thread by the way. Living vicariously through your experience. I can't wait to read about your stories once you are out there flying the line each day!

Firstly, Loren, congratulations to you for your accomplishments and daring to step out of your world to pursue your dreams.

Bloody hell, what is this, a zero to hero launch to Mars? From the OP I gather the first interview was 12FEB yet here it is 28APR and there is STILL more to go before LOFT? Perhaps someone cares to clue me in why its taking so long.

So far Loren has exhibited a gracious attitude about the drawn out process but I would not be surprised if at least secretly he has become exasperated on some level. At this rate he'll age out before taking the line. Just maybe that is what they are looking for...so they can check off that box.

Nonetheless, I imagine Loren is enjoying the ride. Sort of like a IPC/HP/Hi Alt/Jet BFR for free.

Last edited:
Bloody hell, what is this, a zero to hero launch to Mars? From the OP I gather the first interview was 12FEB yet here it is 28APR and there is STILL more to go before LOFT? Perhaps someone cares to clue me in why its taking so long.

Air Carrier training has to follow an approved program. Unlike GA where an Instructor can say "Hey, we'll just give you a couple of times around the pattern and you're good to go", each and every pilot will get the same training regardless of previous experience. It's called "standardization".

Initial training requires classroom on company procedures and manuals, hazmat, emergency procedures, CRM, Threat and Error Management, etc. Usually this part takes a month or so (depending on how busy the training department is).

The simulator portion can have a footprint of about 5 weeks (Loren is doing AQP (Advance Qualifications Program).

So all in all I would say he's on track. After sim training and a check ride he will have IOE (Initial Operating Experience) where he will fly with an Instructor Captain and learn line procedures. This usually is about 25 hours ( a week or so). Then after all this he get's to go back to the classroom and sim for recurrent (not sure what his airlines program is for that).

Back