When dreams come true... (long)

What a great thread. Always great to see someone following a dream and a non-conventional path.

I need a hat, so I can take my hat off toward you.

Yes. The test this week was the Systems Validation portion.

AQP is a good program, it's more TTP (train to proficiency) based rather than "checking" based. Plus everything is in LOFT. Takes a lot of the jeopardy out of the process.

Biggest thing to get behind is running the FMS. Once it becomes second nature it will allow you to focus elsewhere. If you have an FMS simulator to play with it helps a lot.

After a pretty intense four weeks I'm happy to say I passed the CRJ ground school. It's been a long time since I studied that hard for that long! I am headed to the sims in two weeks. That will be almost four weeks total, with a few 1-3 day gaps along the way. Need to solidify my flows between now and then.

This has been a total rush. I'm looking forward to the hands-on portion next!

Jonesy, looking good. 99% of us would give anything to wear the things FORMERLY known as dork bars. :) Well done, counselor.

AQP is a good program, it's more TTP (train to proficiency) based rather than "checking" based. Plus everything is in LOFT. Takes a lot of the jeopardy out of the process.

Biggest thing to get behind is running the FMS. Once it becomes second nature it will allow you to focus elsewhere. If you have an FMS simulator to play with it helps a lot.

I agree on AQP. I've been impressed by the process so far.

I got reasonably comfortable with the FMS via their training sim app. I wish I could get my hands on one for my computer. I'm still pursuing that. It's an amazingly feature-rich box once you master it. Automatic holds, easy course offsets, step down fixes, etc. I'm looking forward to flying with it.

Last edited:
Jonesy, looking good. 99% of us would give anything to wear the things FORMERLY known as dork bars. :) Well done, counselor.

I had the same feeling about the shoulder boards and never thought I'd wear them since I'd ONLY consider them legit in the context of REAL professional flying, not some flight school accoutrement. But now that I'm here, I wear them proudly!

I had the same feeling about the shoulder boards and never thought I'd wear them since I'd ONLY consider them legit in the context of REAL professional flying, not some flight school accoutrement. But now that I'm here, I wear them proudly!

You earned 'em Jonesy. Congrats.

I gotta say, one of the unexpected "bonuses" of this whole adventure was enjoyed on my flight home Friday. The pics attached were at SLC when flying home. It took me about 30 seconds to clear TSA with no scanning! (The line of folks in the first image actually extended another 50' or so behind me where this was taken.)

Attachments

• KnownCrewmember.jpg
    KnownCrewmember.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 112
  • KnownCrewmemberBadge.jpg
    KnownCrewmemberBadge.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Jonsey, I don't know how in the world I have missed this thread till now. I had no idea till tonight the career path you were embarking on.

Although I have never met you I feel I know you and have been so impressed with the wonderful training you have given to so many. I remember once saying that you were single highhandedly supporting GA through your training efforts.

Please except my belated congratulations on your selection and progress. I am looking forward to the day Loren Jones is the First officer or Captain of one of my flights.

Good on you Sir,

Jonsey, I don't know how in the world I have missed this thread till now. I had no idea till tonight the career path you were embarking on.

Although I have never met you I feel I know you and have been so impressed with the wonderful training you have given to so many. I remember once saying that you were single highhandedly supporting GA through your training efforts.

Please except my belated congratulations on your selection and progress. I am looking forward to the day Loren Jones is the First officer or Captain of one of my flights.

Good on you Sir,

You're too kind. Thank you very much. I hope I get the chance to fly you somewhere!

BTW, I'll be just down the road from you at CVG. Maybe we can connect while I'm there. I'll show you around Flight Safety.

Last edited:
What a great thread. Always great to see someone following a dream and a non-conventional path.

I need a hat, so I can take my hat off toward you.

It's definitely the non-conventional path! But there were several like me in the class. And I'm proud to say all of us old farts passed on the first try. :yes:

Enjoy the sim! Once you get online and comfortable it's a great airplane to hand fly. I routinely hand flew it on one hour legs and even some longer ones. I always thought it was a like a big 172.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoy the sim! Once you get online and comfortable it's a great airplane to hand fly. I routinely hand flew it on one hour legs and even some longer ones. I always thought it was a like a big 172.

A Skyhawk with hot wings!

I gotta say, one of the unexpected "bonuses" of this whole adventure was enjoyed on my flight home Friday. The pics attached were at SLC when flying home. It took me about 30 seconds to clear TSA with no scanning! (The line of folks in the first image actually extended another 50' or so behind me where this was taken.)

Oh no. Are one of those union goons now? :)

Jonesy, I think you might have to declare an "emergency" and divert to, oh, I don't know, maybe KOSH in the last week in July. We'd love to see your ride!

I can't wait to feel the real deal! Feel free to share any tips or tricks.

Jonesy, I think you might have to declare an "emergency" and divert to, oh, I don't know, maybe KOSH in the last week in July. We'd love to see your ride!

I'll see what I can do. :wink2:

Somehow I missed this thread earlier, too. Congratulations on the career change. Looks like you're having fun.

You'll fly with captains who could be your kids :D

I'm on Skywest every other week, if I ever hear 'and first officer Loren' I'll try to say hi.

I'm on Skywest every other week, if I ever hear 'and first officer Loren' I'll try to say hi.

Please do!

During the interview the only question that even hinted at age-related was "How would you handle flying with a Captain significantly younger than you?" (asked by a young captain probably 20+ years my junior!)

My response was: "Some of the best flight instructors I've had were younger than me and I've learned much from every one of them. My perspective is if they're in the left seat they have a level experience in that role beyond mine from which I can learn and I always welcome the opportunity to learn. I'd respect the position because of what it represents, not the age of the occupant."

He was nodding as I was talking then said, "Good answer!!"

BTW, a couple of my classmates WERE the age of my son, and a couple even went to his same college!

On Wednesday of this week I decided to checkout life up front so I jumpseated on a flight from MSP-FAR and back. What a rush. Whetted my appetite to be there on a regular basis. Big turbines rock!

So I'm all packed and headed for CVG this morning for four weeks at Flight Safety. I am so pumped for this next phase of training. Watch for more updates.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    452.1 KB · Views: 101
On Wednesday of this week I decided to checkout life up front so I jumpseated on a flight from MSP-FAR and back. What a rush. Whetted my appetite to be there on a regular basis. Big turbines rock!

So I'm all packed and headed for CVG this morning for four weeks at Flight Safety. I am so pumped for this next phase of training. Watch for more updates.

How awesome!

Did the PF get nervous with an attorney looking over his shoulder? :)

Too much automation, too many screens, I wouldn't know what to do with all that. Autopilot and FD talk to each other, can't have that. Find a DC9 (or similar era) to ride up front in sometime, you'd be amazed how things changed up front over time.

Too much automation, too many screens, I wouldn't know what to do with all that. Autopilot and FD talk to each other, can't have that. Find a DC9 (or similar era) to ride up front in sometime, you'd be amazed how things changed up front over time.
DC-9 is a wonderful airplane.

Jonesy,
How much are they charging you for all this fun, travel and education?
I hope it is a ton.
You suck.

How awesome!

Did the PF get nervous with an attorney looking over his shoulder? :)

When he found out I was a lawyer some interesting conversation evolved! The crew was great and very welcoming. They're working their tails off so are anxious to get more pilots online. This is an amazing time for anyone with airline aspirations.

I've flown the DC-9 sim years ago. It is an amazing change to the CRJ.

Jonesy,
How much are they charging you for all this fun, travel and education?
I hope it is a ton.
You suck.

Hehe....they're paying me! Not much, but it's something. I chuckle every time I see a deposit hit my checking account.

When he found out I was a lawyer some interesting conversation evolved! The crew was great and very welcoming. They're working their tails off so are anxious to get more pilots online. This is an amazing time for anyone with airline aspirations.

I'm really happy for you, Lauren. Many of us are living vicariously through you. Make us proud!

Are you still going to be there on Sat, May 2nd? You need to come to Tim's party if you are!

Back