What's your favorite Video game?

The only one I play right now is World of Warships. Lot's of fun and each round lasts a maximum of 20 mins so it's easy to dip in and out of. I've learned a lot more about the actual historical ships the ones in game are modeled on, too.

Rampage on Nintendo 64 and the original Gears of War on Xbox 360. I don't play a lot video games now but occasionally I'll play FIFA or NBA 2K with my brother on his PS4.

but occasionally I'll play FIFA .
PES is vastly superior in game play to FIFA. It does not have all of the actual team names and kits, but the trade off for accurate game play is soooo worth it.

This guy back-ported Portal to the Apple ][. http://www.deater.net/weave/vmwprod/portal/

0318_apple2_portal.jpg

The only one I play right now is World of Warships. Lot's of fun and each round lasts a maximum of 20 mins so it's easy to dip in and out of. I've learned a lot more about the actual historical ships the ones in game are modeled on, too.

Love to hear more about this one. I tried downloading it a while back, but it hung-up.

I remember playing the stand up arcade version. That had to be around 82-83 maybe?

Don't recall the stand up version but yeah, around 82-83. We got ours when we were kids in 83 for $200. I bought this one last year with games for $400. Just a nostalgia piece.

For some strange reason I thought you'd be a "Leasure Suit Larry" guy...

LOL nah, I'm more of a shorts and T shirt person, blue jeans when needed. Had enough uniform wearing after 20 in the military and then 24 at the airlines wearing a friggin tie to fly!

Love to hear more about this one. I tried downloading it a while back, but it hung-up.
Actually we played it at his place in Houston s few days ago when we met and it wasn't bad at all. Wouldn't mind a group of us doing it. There are referral links you can hand out to get goodies that he gave me but I think he would benefit best from doing that.

Here's my walk-uphill-both-ways-in-the-snow post:

I had a Commodore VIC-20, and one way to get games was to type them in line by line. If you flip to page 30 in this magazine (https://archive.org/details/1982-07-compute-magazine), you'll see one I remember doing: Gold Rush. Kind of funny compared to Overdrive's screen shot above!

...and we liked it! :)

Haha my first was a Vic 20, then a Commodore 64. Radio Shack TRS 80s we used in college. Even had a Kaypro "all in one" computer at one time.

Here's my walk-uphill-both-ways-in-the-snow post:

I had a Commodore VIC-20, and one way to get games was to type them in line by line. If you flip to page 30 in this magazine (https://archive.org/details/1982-07-compute-magazine), you'll see one I remember doing: Gold Rush. Kind of funny compared to Overdrive's screen shot above!

...and we liked it! :)

hahaha Oh god! Took me a longgg time to type in all of those lines of code, only to get one wrong and BAM! Ok, lets go back to line-1 and find my error...LOL:confused:. I loved that C-64 and Amiga! I even built a speech synthesizer that I found in one of those magazines. You had to hook it into one of the ports but I forget which one.

Last edited:
I had a Commodore VIC-20, and one way to get games was to type them in line by line.

Hah. I had something similar. I had a home-built Z80 with an EPROM containing Basic that you could boot and type apps in, but no way to save them.

So I created a program that can save out a block of memory to a reel-to-reel tape using the speakers, and reload it with a mic and crude ADC. It worked, but each time after booting up I had to retype in the code for the loader so that it can load the stuff from tape. And then it was a matter of running the app, and timing the 'play' on the reel-to-reel just right.

I always saved everything 5 times in succession since it wasn't very reliable. The tape was just barely faster than typing by hand - something like 30 baud.

Mattel-FootballI.jpg

I spent hours handing this back and forth with my friends in junior high, trying to get my red blip to fake out the other red blips. Wasted youth and all that...

View attachment 50814

I spent hours handing this back and forth with my friends in junior high, trying to get my red blip to fake out the other red blips. Wasted youth and all that...

I was at Toys R Us over the holidays and noticed that they are selling new ones (same look, same LED, same everything except price).

Don't rush up the tiers. Train up your commander first. It takes quite a bit longer when you keep bouncing up tiers.

I've found Tiers 5 through 7 to be something of a sweet spot in terms of actually being fun.

NES - Contra (up up down down left right left right B A B A select start), ExciteBike, and Mario 3
SNES - NBA Jam (didn't play this console much)
3DO - Need for Speed
Playstation - NCAA Football '99 (only because my brother was a player on it)
N64 - Goldeneye, Mario Kart (drunken),
PS2 - Ace Combat

Didn't play much after about 2004 because I had to work for a livin'.

Then, Goldeneye: Reloaded came out on Xbox in 2010. I was waiting in the parking lot for the game store to open the day it was released. Nostalgic much? Yes indeed. I became #88 in the world in recorded kills. Haven't played anything since.

Before any of this, my dad had a Compaq portable PC with an orange screen. I played the heck out of Chopper 2 and Sopwith.

compaqiii.jpg

01+-+Chopper.png

IkeTailZGjpdI1syysI2ehCj19xTdMY0VmgjenAKlVHzqe12q7n6K5NppPipMCC2Pg=h900

Last edited:
Game bug never bit me, prefer to do stuff in real life. *shrug*

Back