What's your favorite Video game?

Also, for PC games, this used to be fun late at night as a teen:

kdqpw1m65gjb9emtx1he.jpg
Doooooooom! The new doom games just aren't the same.

Right now... I've not been gaming a lot but Command and Conquer: Generals and Team Fortress 2 have been favorites. I'm also supporting the Star Citizen project ... although I don't currently have a machine going that can handle it reasonably.

TF2? Have like 1100 hours over the span of the game logged. How are the populations nowadays? It got stale for me and then Overwatch came out and now I'm hooked on that. Mercy = Medic which works for me!

I miss cheat codes, since when did we need to accomplish somthing when we played video games? I remember spamming rockets, crashing my PC

TF2? Have like 1100 hours over the span of the game logged. How are the populations nowadays? It got stale for me and then Overwatch came out and now I'm hooked on that. Mercy = Medic which works for me!
Loved TF2. Overwatch is pretty decent. But it doesn't hold a candle to the sense of humor that TF2 has.

Loved TF2. Overwatch is pretty decent. But it doesn't hold a candle to the sense of humor that TF2 has.

TF and TF2 were big time sinks for me back in the day also. Always liked the various "capture the flag" type FPS stuff.

Someone else reminded me of Earthworm Jim today. LOL.

After the usual Space Invaders, Asteroids, Galaga, etc arcade games, this is what made me addicted for life-

WOLF-T.png

After this the entire Marathon series, Doom and on to my first console- Nintendo 64 with Golden Eye and more.

Then on to the world of Xbox. All of the Halos, Return to Caste Wolfenstein, most of the Gears of War, many more Bond titles, Ghost Recon, All the Rainbow Six and on to Call of Duty. All of them except this year's release. I'm OK here with BO3 for awhile. Lots of other games as a side distraction along the way like Banjo Kazooie and Super Mario Cart.

Xbox Live changed everything again. I went from a single player campaign guy to nothing but online multiplayer. I tried once again the other night to go through a COD campaign and once again I was bored. I now need live players I guess.

Wait... why am I going on about my video game geekiness on an airplane forum again?? o_O:oops:

Xbox Live changed everything again. I went from a single player campaign guy to nothing but online multiplayer. I tried once again the other night to go through a COD campaign and once again I was bored. I now need live players I guess.

Wait... why am I going on about my video game geekiness on an airplane forum again?? o_O:oops:
Same once I discovered XBL playing halo 2 back in the day I was hooked. Not sure what it is but the only single player i've ever been able to go back to is Mass effect 1-3. Theres just nothing like playing against other humans. I've alternated my COD releases. Loved MW1-2 and all the black ops games, Ghost FW and IW are meh. Maybe its the level design in BO1-3 it just flows better to me .

I guess I do play minecraft single player but thats more like a sandbox lego/what can I engineer game.

Anyone still play TF2? Medic/25/M looking for Heavy Weapons Guy. Press E, Call for Medic.

"Remember my name, you'll be screaming it later. Medic!"

Simcopter anyone?

Also any pireps on BF1? Been thinking about getting it for the PC.

In the early 80s I would go to the local convenience store to play Asteroids. I could play for hours on that one quarter.

A few days ago my wife showed me a mail flyer from a game room over in Richardson (we live in Plano). For $10 admission you can play around 80 classic games as long as you wish.

They have all of the 70s and 80s games. I'm gonna go there tomorrow with my grandson and show him his old grandpa still has lightning reflexes (I hope).

:D :D

I'm old enough to remember Pong lol. My favorites were probably Frogger and River Raid. Old school baby. No play no more though.

In the early 80s I would go to the local convenience store to play Asteroids. I could play for hours on that one quarter.

A few days ago my wife showed me a mail flyer from a game room over in Richardson (we live in Plano). For $10 admission you can play around 80 classic games as long as you wish.

They have all of the 70s and 80s games. I'm gonna go there tomorrow with my grandson and show him his old grandpa still has lightning reflexes (I hope).

:D :D

That's sounds fun. I've always wanted to go to the pinball place in Vegas.

If you get really interested, and motivated, you can build cabinets and get the old style controllers and buttons and then via a touch of copyright violation behavior, you can have a bar top or stand up gaming machine for the man cave with thousands of old titles on it.

That's sounds fun. I've always wanted to go to the pinball place in Vegas.

If you get really interested, and motivated, you can build cabinets and get the old style controllers and buttons and then via a touch of copyright violation behavior, you can have a bar top or stand up gaming machine for the man cave with thousands of old titles on it.

Sourcing (and fixing) the original boards is half the fun :)

Having a blast flying the Mustang and A-10C around in DCS World NTTR (Nevada Test and Training Range)! Haven't engaged in much combat with the mustang yet (fired the guns at a few ground targets), but just flying around Vegas and the different air force bases, Hover dam, etc is so much fun! Building a few basic missions in the mission editor and learning how to setup triggered events with tanks and other ground units, is nice.

I built the PC exclusively for flight sims and I play ARMA 3 occasionally, which is a lot of fun as well, especially flying the helos. It's a triple screen setup with TrackIR 5, Saitek Pro combat rudder pedals and yoke. Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog-stick and throttle. The immersion is incredible. This is the level of detail that I wished for when I got into flightsims back in the mid 80's as a teenager (I had a Commodore-64/Amiga and PC "compatible"). My next addition to the cockpit will by an Oculus Rift CV1. I was going to treat myself to it as a birthday present back in October, but I figured I'd wait until after the holidays for a price drop ($600). No such thing...YET lol:confused:. Oh, and the X-plane 11 beta is really impressive! I'm looking forward to using this one a lot (for more serious practice) when it's finally released.

DCS World 2.0 NTTR
qA3ZJ67.jpg

Last edited:
Sid Meier's Civilization for me. I don't know if that's a game so much as a lifestyle choice...

I discovered the first Civilization a couple of months before my high school finals. it probably cost me a grade letter or two.

The first thing I do when installing a new PC is install Civilization. Visual Studio and Civilization - if the PC has a problem with either of those, it's going back.

Flew a quick sortie (sorta) after I got home from work this morning (my CFI used to scold me for showing up for lessons after working all night, lol). So bear with me here, I was a little tired :D.

As a result, I got a bit carried away by the awesome visuals and damn near stalled this pony! However, the spin was intentional. Man I can only imagine how awesomely incredible this is going to be in VR! I'm getting the itch to go on a bite that $600 bullet:eek:

Right now - Battlefield1 on PS4
Destiny every once in a while until I get burnt out

Sid Meier's Civilization for me. I don't know if that's a game so much as a lifestyle choice...

I discovered the first Civilization a couple of months before my high school finals. it probably cost me a grade letter or two.

The first thing I do when installing a new PC is install Civilization. Visual Studio and Civilization - if the PC has a problem with either of those, it's going back.

How is Civ VI? I have read some user reviews highly critical of the AI.

How is Civ VI? I have read some user reviews highly critical of the AI.

I'm critical of the AI as well, but it's not worse than CIV V. Though the first time I played was after the AI update - I know it used to be worse. But alas, it's still a cheating AI. I wish they would write a CUDA based AI and have difficulty just be based on computation time rather than AI advantages.

Doooooooom! The new doom games just aren't the same.

You got that right. The Bobby Prince sound track made the very first Doom perfection. Nothing subsequent was ever quite the same.

You got that right. The Bobby Prince sound track made the very first Doom perfection. Nothing subsequent was ever quite the same.
The first thing I always did was turn off the music track!

My favorite arcade game was Missile Command. When those were being phased out at the local arcade, I bought a fully functioning stand up game for $110. Not a good thing to have in your dorm room at college, so I sold it to our hall council which made a fortune with it. I'd love to still have it.

Beyond that, I ran F-15 Strike eagle and (later) F-119 Stealth Fighter on my Commodore 64. Some of the quirks of that game engine were if you flew inverted, the airplane "fell" upwards, so you could glide home if you ran the thing out of gas. There was also a submarine simulation game (Silent Service) I really enjoyed on the C-64. More recently, any of the first person shooters - Wolfenstein, Doom, Halo on the PC...

Whatever my son is playing at the time on either X-box 360 or Nintendo 3DS. It is fun how he tries to help me to understand the gameplay and not to get completely anihilated. Right now he is in the 'Sonic the Hedgehog' phase.

Heck yeah! I played doom for hours with my friend. In fact, he amazed me with his computer skills. He was the first person I knew who setup a LAN. If I recall correctly, this was the first game I played over a network. Learned a heck of a lot from that guy!

Last edited:

In the early nineties, I may or may not have been party to a scheme to misappropriate the PCs and network of the university psychology department to set up a multi-room Doom network in the basement of the psychiatric hospital. Someone had found a newfangled device called a '8 port switch' which would allow you to tie computers together in a star topology rather than daisy-chained along a long loop of coax cable. That way everyone actually had the full 10Mbit available rather than sharing it with multiple computers and networked peripherals. Came 8pm, we started to string TP cables across the hallways and would get lost in time and space yelling across the hallway until early in the morning. No computers were harmed in the process and last I know none of us turned into mass murderers. I want to say 'Quake' was another similar FPS game.

In the early nineties, I may or may not have been party to a scheme to misappropriate the PCs and network of the university psychology department to set up a multi-room Doom network in the basement of the psychiatric hospital.

OMG!! You are way cooler than I ever suspected! :yes:

Someone had found a newfangled device called a '8 port switch' which would allow you to tie computers together in a star topology rather than daisy-chained along a long loop of coax cable.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I want to say 'Quake' was another similar FPS game.

Yes I played Quake and Quake II also. Loved them. My other big game is World of Warcraft but it's not FPS, it's another whole post.

I guess I'm not the only one who has spent way too much time on video games. :redface:

On the other hand, I've had some idea of the importance of cover and concealment ever since Doom. :D

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

In the early nineties, I may or may not have been party to a scheme to misappropriate the PCs and network of the university psychology department to set up a multi-room Doom network in the basement of the psychiatric hospital. Someone had found a newfangled device called a '8 port switch' which would allow you to tie computers together in a star topology rather than daisy-chained along a long loop of coax cable. That way everyone actually had the full 10Mbit available rather than sharing it with multiple computers and networked peripherals. Came 8pm, we started to string TP cables across the hallways and would get lost in time and space yelling across the hallway until early in the morning. No computers were harmed in the process and last I know none of us turned into mass murderers. I want to say 'Quake' was another similar FPS game.

Yup. Our LAN parties were in the closed callcenters on the weekends. (Remember when callcenters closed on weekends? Pepperidge Farm remembers...)

A little hidden batch file on each operator station pulled down the obfuscated directory full of FPS gaming goodness from the Novell server, unzipped it, and launched the games.

Later another batch file cleaned up all of the evidence other than Taco Bell crumbs on the carpet.

Doom, Quake, Hexen (it's always nice to turn your enemies into a defenseless chicken and chase them with the magical equivalent of high explosives - chicken feathers and guts everywhere if they weren't fast enough... screaming "ba-gawwwwwk!" as you blew them
up was mandatory...) ...

Good times.

Where is this place?!? That's worth the drive from Fort Worth for me. Could be the ideal place for DFW meet-up!

Is it BYOB or is that reserved to the parking lot like the arcades I went to in high school?

FS-X of course! That, and Chess.com tactics trainer (although, that can't really be called a "video" game).

Yup. Our LAN parties were in the closed callcenters on the weekends. (Remember when callcenters closed on weekends? Pepperidge Farm remembers...)

A little hidden batch file on each operator station pulled down the obfuscated directory full of FPS gaming goodness from the Novell server, unzipped it, and launched the games.

Ever played Snipes?

Back