What's it called (The winged screw lock for securing things)

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
I have 4 fuel tanks. 3 have the wing nut looking fasteners to lock the lid down.
One has the same type of fastener but the top is a flathead screw.

I am not enjoying having to use a screw driver top open my gas tank cover.

I'd like to replace it with one of those wing'd looking fastiner dealies that you twist 90 degrees and it is held in place.

I don't know what those are called. I would like to buy one though.

I have 4 fuel tanks. 3 have the wing nut looking fasteners to lock the lid down.
One has the same type of fastener but the top is a flathead screw.

I am not enjoying having to use a screw driver top open my gas tank cover.

I'd like to replace it with one of those wing'd looking fastiner dealies that you twist 90 degrees and it is held in place.

I don't know what those are called. I would like to buy one though.

Apparently, the previous owner didn’t know what it was called either. :)

I don't know what those are called.
Depending on the lock side its either a wing-type dzus or a camloc. And with some brands if the wing part breaks off it leave a slot. Aircraft Spruce has both.

On the Comanche, I believe some people have door clearance issues with the wingnut-style ones, just on that tank of course. So check that out first.

On the Comanche, I believe some people have door clearance issues with the wingnut-style ones, just on that tank of course. So check that out first.

The issue I have seen is those wing nuts inadvertently get bent over by an errant foot or bag. That cap is just a little too close to the door.

The issue I have seen is those wing nuts inadvertently get bent over by an errant foot or bag. That cap is just a little too close to the door.

That may have been what I was thinking. One of my clients has a larger, thumb-screw-like head on his. Kind of like this, though of course with the 1/4 turn fastener instead of a screw.

41tT6cOf+qL._AC_UY218_.jpg

Winged dzuz …. Probably like this cause it’s Piper
upload_2022-3-4_15-59-7.jpeg

That may have been what I was thinking. One of my clients has a larger, thumb-screw-like head on his. Kind of like this, though of course with the 1/4 turn fastener instead of a screw.

41tT6cOf+qL._AC_UY218_.jpg

That would be nicer than the flush screwdriver only kind. I consider myself lucky if I can turn it with the pad of my finger. Usually can get it open, struggle to close it and end up with a sore finger, because there is never a screwdriver handy when you need one!

FYI: they make dzus and camloc with fold-over "handles" that are low profile.
Dzus-Pro%20-%20Bolt%20Body.jpg
Sure would be nice if the bail/handle could fold down into the same grommet/well as the Philips head version. That one looks like it's sitting out in the airstream no matter what.

Sure would be nice if the bail/handle could fold down into the same grommet/well as the Philips head version. That one looks like it's sitting out in the airstream no matter what.
That pic is just an example. There are other versions that will fold flatter than that one but you'll need to look for a specialty/commercial vendor to find them.

Dzus was always a generic to me was all cam lock type fasteners…at least it was in the Army maintenance I was around, learned something today…I posted a southco 180 winged fastener…but is all dzus to me…

You are looking for P/N 26246-00. Mcfarlane or others have them. It is used for the right main tank closest to the door.

Some people used screwdriver slot Dzus fasteners with one wing type with the retainer left out... open the winged one, pull it out, and use the wings to remove the other slotted ones. No screwdriver required. :)

Can you really afford to fill up all four tanks??

No. Last time I filled them all up it was about $400 so what I do is fill up the main tanks and just throw a gallon into the auxiliary tanks I've done that enough times that the auxiliary tanks are full and I don't use them.

Next time I go on a long cross country I will of course use them but for just my daily putting around I live life like I only have 60 gallons

Back