What kind of wife should I get?

Have you thought about the cost/benefit ratio?

Have you thought about the cost/benefit ratio?

You could get yourself in a lot of trouble with that type of analysis in either scenario.

What I can say is true in both scenarios is that it's generally cheaper to keep both than to try and "upgrade" once you've made your selection.

They're rarely in the airbrushed photos in the magazines and on the internet, but the stable ones from Kansas often make for the best long-term relationships.

Just do a proper investigation; you don't want to later find out about ongoing entanglements from prior relationships.

Be sure to check the compression of the jugs, and check the gear box for evidence of hard landings.

Also, check with the manufacturer to see if there are any incentives available for purchase (dowry).

They're rarely in the airbrushed photos in the magazines and on the internet, but the stable ones from Kansas often make for the best long-term relationships.

Just do a proper investigation; you don't want to later find out about ongoing entanglements from prior relationships.

I got mine from a local manufacturer in Oklahoma. Great product!

Weight and balance is also a major consideration.

Oh so true. Never operate anywhere at or near GROSS weight. Also...no extra passengers please.

All things considered, Ed should find a shop that offers a long term support and maintenance contract. Anything he operates for very long is going to need it.

If you are looking for the perfect wife, you are doomed to be disappointed when you find her. She will be looking for the perfect husband!

Sometimes you have to choose between getting a more expensive one that has all the features you require, versus getting a fixer-upper. It can be quite expensive funding all the future extensive modifications if you go the second route. And you never quite know how those will turn out. You don't want to end up with something that is grotesque and you have to offload somewhere. That can get really expensive.

The general rule of thumb is that if it flies, floats or fornicates, it is cheaper to rent.

That and there is something weird about doing your own wife. It's too close to home. It's like doing your own mother or sister. Ewe.

Yeah, we all know it is cheaper to rent but don't we all also know that having it readily available is why we end up owning?

Another concern though is that some models demand a larger and fancier hangar.

Don't get me started... "loose" or "lose".

I just might "lose" it...

I should have said grammatically and spelling correct examples of double T compound words.

lose/loose annoys me as well.

I got mine from a local manufacturer in Oklahoma. Great product!

I read about someone who married a belly dancer. The author thought that the groom probably could have gotten more of what he wanted by marrying an Iowa farm girl.

Rent wet vs dry?

I read about someone who married a belly dancer. The author thought that the groom probably could have gotten more of what he wanted by marrying an Iowa farm girl.

Shade in the summer, warmth in the winter...

I'm in the market for a wife, but looking for input on what's the best fit for me.

I'm looking to get my last wife first, but wouldn't be opposed to moving up if something better came along that fit me better in a few years.

Certifiable or experimental?

Never owned or used?

If used, factory original and pay for upgrades after acquisition, or find one that's already had upgrades done by a previous owner?

Thoughts on ones with runouts?

What are the issues on bringing one in from out of country and getting the paperwork done correctly?

One that likes going into grass strips, or is that going to cause maintenance issues?

Are there any models that come with an isolate switch?

Best places to look?

I will have more questions I'm sure, but looking for answers from those that have been through this before.

Indonesia, Thailand, or Malaysia, paperwork is straight forward, 2 year temp "green card", after 2 years goes permanent.

Russians are slightly higher performance, but extremely high maintenance.

Last edited:
Moldova has a very interesting candidate pool, and I have a buddy who can pimp for you there.

You're going to want a taildragger, obviously. One that you don't mind getting a little crap on if things get rough.

Oh, and also you are better off getting one with leather. Go for the durable gear, you never know when things get out of control.

And don't worry about cleaning the gunk off the belly too often. I have found that you are better off just letting "nature" wash it off over time.

One that goes inverted and keeps all the fluids inside is a necessity, even if you never plan on doing it - just having the option is worth it.

Utility category is a good way to go. That way you're not overloading her, and she can take on you and a couple of friends without blowing your useful load.

Back