What kind of wife should I get?

I'm in the market for a wife, but looking for input on what's the best fit for me.

I'm looking to get my last wife first, but wouldn't be opposed to moving up if something better came along that fit me better in a few years.

Certifiable or experimental?

Never owned or used?

If used, factory original and pay for upgrades after acquisition, or find one that's already had upgrades done by a previous owner?

Thoughts on ones with runouts?

What are the issues on bringing one in from out of country and getting the paperwork done correctly?

One that likes going into grass strips, or is that going to cause maintenance issues?

Are there any models that come with an isolate switch?

Best places to look?

I will have more questions I'm sure, but looking for answers from those that have been through this before.

Certified...no experimentals
Low to mid-time - The new ones are much less affordable
Never used as a trainer
Low operating expenses
Good interior and exterior
No major squawks
As usual, find one equipped as you like...because it takes a lot more to try and upgrade something to what you want
Flown regularly, treated well and properly maintained, should last you a long time

I would go with a foreign model. They are more expensive at first but it will be worth it because it will give you less trouble in the long run.

The domestic models usually are high maintenance and come with a lot of squawks...

I have a friend that got a Ukrainian model. Trust me...once they're in the states they have the same problems as domestic models. Sometimes worse.
All fun aside, I am personally very happy with mine and love all the time we spend in the hangar.

Last edited:
The question wasn't certified or experimental.

You should consider searching in Utah. There are plenty of low-time options to choose from, and you can take home more than one. Just make sure you have multiple guest houses to keep them.

You should consider searching in Utah. There are plenty of low-time options to choose from, and you can take home more than one. Just make sure you have multiple guest houses to keep them.
I was just about to bring up this point. With the recent Supreme Court decision overturning the traditional definition of marriage, it may be possible to pick up a couple of models to fit various aspects of your mission. One could be a showpiece, one could be a hamburger run, one could be a workhorse and a spare just to punch holes in (the sky).

Careful of the ones with fresh paint and bodywork, could be long-term maintenance issues...

OK, you're looking into another category (Light as Air).

If you're exploring these other directions, then you may also wish to consider Weight-Shift-Control.

Just get one of these:

blow%20up%20women.jpg

Not exactly the deluxe model but,if replacement becomes desirable or necessary, the savings will be significant.

Mark

Like airplanes, it's cheaper to rent unless you find. Real good bargain. That takes time, patience, and a whole lot of disappointment until you find the real deal. Pre buys and test flights are essential. :D

I got a model that was a few years older but never purchased. Sure it had a few test drives while being on the lot but was never abused.

Best thing about one like I got was that while she was waiting for her new home she got many upgrades such as:

Med School V1.0
Emergency Medicine V1.2
House V1.0 and V2.0 (Together we installed house V3.0)

I'm extremely happy with my model and plan on keeping her for a while.

Best of luck with your search.

Certifiable or experimental? Believe me, they're all certifiable after enough time. Some sooner than later.

Have you considered just buying a share in one?

I think he should go for twins. Redundancy is good.

Just remember that if you're buying used, you're always getting something that someone else doesn't want anymore. Make sure you understand the real reasons.

Ummm...this is a euphemism for airplanes, right?

Just remember that if you're buying used, you're always getting something that someone else doesn't want anymore. Make sure you understand the real reasons.

Ummm...this is a euphemism for airplanes, right?

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

The noise can be deafening. But when they suddenly go quiet, then it's a time to worry.

The really maneuverable ones can be a lot of fun, but some can get into an unrecoverable tailspin. Bailing out is the only option.

The two most important days in a husband's life are the day you marry her and the day you realize you can't do any better.

I think if you rent you can get a "faster, more acrobatic" model. Bigger flaps, tighter cockpit you get the idea....

Do you have a high performance endorsement?

I do, and a complex endorsement. Though I think the second is honorary, because ain't no one able to figure out what goes on in a woman's head.

If you go for something from China, remember that old Chinese proverb:

Fu King and Cle Ning are not city names.

Stay away from the ones that need a type certificate. They cost way more to fuel.

If you need to ferry a foreign model to the US, I can probably help you.

I've also been advised to stay away from any Hangar Queens.

Don't forget to pay some attention to the interior. Always go for a tight fit inside. It may seem too tight at first but believe me over time it seems to open up. And the less baggage the better.

Weight and balance is also a major consideration.

Check previous ownership history, avoid ones that have been owned by NBA players and rap stars, could have damage history and problems with fit. Definitely get a P****Fox report, look for frame damage as well as salvage history.
Try to avoid the really late model ones, they won't last as long as one built within a few years of your manufacture date. ;)

Back