What have you sacrificed for aviation?

Money. And hence potential old age comfort.

He's an ATP with probably at least 10x more hours than you, but that's irrelevant.

Don't care if he owns American Airlines. And I don't see the answer on his aircraft ownership experience or anything else that justifies his personal attacks. My career enabled me to buy whatever I want. Did his?

My career enabled me to buy whatever I want. Did his?

Your career is irrelevant to this thread. But you know that. I have little use for trolls. I know you've been banned once under a similar username, and I suspect you've had others as well. So excuse me if I don't hold you in the same regard as the *actual* members of this community.

846 in 1.5 years is a post count worthy of a DEDICATED troll.

Play on!

I sacrificed my work productivity.
They won't miss it nearly as bad as I would miss this bunch of boneheads arguing about something.

ok... ok....that's wrong of me to say that.

I meant arguing about everything. :incazzato:

I sacrificed my work productivity.
They won't miss it nearly as bad as I would miss this bunch of boneheads arguing about something.

ok... ok....that's wrong of me to say that.

I meant arguing about everything. :incazzato:

I resemble that remark.

Tim

About...40K and no vacations for 3 years. Though this year I am taking one :)

Money. I am one of the fortunate few who have realized the purpose of money is to make me happy, not the other way around.

You didn't tell us you spent all that time away watching Tony Robbins videos. :eek:
It's not too late. You can save yourself. Easy now, just come on back over to the dark side where the rest of us live. All will be forgiven. :yesnod:

doesnt matter whether you rent the plane or borrow the plane or stole it
doesnt matter whether you own a typical spam can or a TBM or a 747

what have you sacrificed in your personal life to feed your addiction? if you havent sacrificed anything (hard to believe, sacrifice can be material or non-material), good for you, but for all us mere mortals i would think the we had to give up something to feed this addiction.

i will go first

-- gave up Hanger at an awesome FBO with lot of red carpet service and moved to a non-towered small airport with nothing apart from fuel and mx. i am thinking this will come back bite me on the arse this winter when its -20

-- ran some numbers and cut out everything i could (that include doing some stuff on my own that i absolutely HATE) so that i can redirect those funds for gas/mx/upgrades

what have you given up?

Thousands and thousands of dollars...worth every dime.

...what have you sacrificed in your personal life to feed your addiction?...

...what have you given up?

Everything.

Of course if I stopped hanging around here it would be slightly less than Everything.

I know many people that have lost a lot more than money or tangible items...

Minutes to shopping and doctors for a remote airpark in the AZ Outback. My airplane is 75 feet away the nearest Lowes is 75 miles away.

Do you have to call the manager on the radio to get clearance to land at Lowes....??? :lol::lol::lol:

I've spent every Christmas and thanksgiving for the last 4 years away from home. I've had amazing women walk out of my life because of the hours/schedule I was working. I've lost close friends in accidents. I've lost countless nights of sleep. Ive got frostbite scars on my face I'll have forever. I've thought I was going to die lots of times. I got so stressed out at one of my jobs hair started falling out of the back of my head. (It's growing back now though!

I've also laughed so hard I've cried telling stories of friends passed. I've made friends that will last a lifetime. Done things in an airplane most (except Zeldman) would not believe. I've found missing hikers, snowmachiners, hunters, and fisherman, and saved lives. I've seen the northern lights to the south. I've watched countless sunrises more beautiful than words can describe in a place where there is not another human for a hundred miles.

Would I trade any of it for anything? Nope.

Last edited:
Your career is irrelevant to this thread. But you know that. I have little use for trolls. I know you've been banned once under a similar username, and I suspect you've had others as well. So excuse me if I don't hold you in the same regard as the *actual* members of this community.

I've been thinking the same. Pot stirer at his best.

I have little use for trolls. So excuse me if I don't hold you in the same regard as the *actual* members of this community.
kayoh190: "Yeah, not much to sacrifice when the entirety of your aviation experience comes from a Cirrus brochure and a subscription to Popular Science."

You may need to look up the definition of trolling. Are you flying a brochure/magazine or a real aircraft? Or are all your hours in other's iron?

Last edited:
Does it matter whose equipment you are operating? Those who don't do it for a living rarely sacrifice much, as you so aptly pointed out.

I've been thinking the same. Pot stirer at his best.

Yeah, and it was my mistake to give him the satisfaction by poking at him. Apologies to @WannFly for messing with his thread! :)

I've postponed rather than given up, upgrades to my house and property. I don't live in a shack but it was built in 95 and the kitchen is a little dated. But I have a great wife who although doesn't like to fly even commercial, supports me entirely.

Net positive for me. Too many funerals, though. Being activated (several times) as a Reservist took a bite out of my career; walked away from that, finally, short of retirement eligibility - but no regrets - got to see my son's ball games, and my wife could start sleeping nights, instead of wondering if. . .

I'd say my wife has done the sacrificing. Actually been thinking about giving up the airplane to get her the house she deserves. Can't do both.
Okie, can't you use the 182 AS a house? That would solve the problem!

Okie, can't you use the 182 AS a house? That would solve the problem!

It only has 4 seats. We are a family of five. If I had extended baggage, I might be able to put a kid in there.

But seriously, we have outgrown our little house. It has been nice to own a small, CHEAP house since we got married. Since we haven't had to sink a bunch of money into a mortgage, it has allowed us to do a lot of things that others with big mortgages might be able to do, such as own an airplane. Alas, since our family has grown, the time has come to get into a house that is a little more comfortable for a family of five with three growing boys. It's also time to get the heck out of town. I'm about to go nuts living in town. I don't know how people do it. Not 100% sure we'll be able to swing it and keep an airplane, but we'll try. Depends on how much we end up spending on the new place, I reckon.

Other than money the main thing I've "given up" is the ability to focus on other things, like work. Got a whole list of surgeries to do and my main thought is can I ge them finished in time to go flying at lunch.

-- gave up Hanger at an awesome FBO with lot of red carpet service and moved to a non-towered small airport with nothing apart from fuel and mx. i am thinking this will come back bite me on the arse this winter when its -20
The first two things I heard when starting my lessons:
1. Whatever you do, DON'T buy a plane.
2. If you do, hangar it with service. You'll hate shoveling snow to get it pulled out.

Like the others, money...and time with the family. Since my family isn't keen to fly with me (my son's interest is growing), I fly solo. So I have to be judicious in how much time I spend in aviation now, and how much of those funds are diverted to aviation instead of the family.

It only has 4 seats. We are a family of five. If I had extended baggage, I might be able to put a kid in there.

But seriously, we have outgrown our little house. It has been nice to own a small, CHEAP house since we got married. Since we haven't had to sink a bunch of money into a mortgage, it has allowed us to do a lot of things that others with big mortgages might be able to do, such as own an airplane. Alas, since our family has grown, the time has come to get into a house that is a little more comfortable for a family of five with three growing boys. It's also time to get the heck out of town. I'm about to go nuts living in town. I don't know how people do it. Not 100% sure we'll be able to swing it and keep an airplane, but we'll try. Depends on how much we end up spending on the new place, I reckon.

I can't live near neighbors myself. I need to be at least out of yelling distance from another house. Out of gun shot range is even better.

I just can't fathom living in a house that is 3 feet away from another house like I see in newer neighborhoods. Might as well have an apartment.

The first two things I heard when starting my lessons:
1. Whatever you do, DON'T buy a plane.
2. If you do, hangar it with service. You'll hate shoveling snow to get it pulled out.
I have gotten the same advice, more than once... but I have been trained not to listen

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Other than time and money, nothing. My wife is the one that made the sacrifice, by agreeing to put off getting our dream house by about five years. (With luck, we start building next year.) In fact, it was her idea for me to learn to fly. I was just going to build a nice desktop sim.

She's a keeper. :blowingkisses:

My hearing....

My first CFI did not allow headsets.

He is still teaching and I shake my head every time I run into one of his students.

Traditional marital cohabitation. We spent more time apart the first seven years than we did together, because of both of our aviation choices. But, it was always nice to 'reunite' and are still together after 28 years, so maybe that was not so bad. Eventually, I sacrificed some aviation for family life. Now, we mostly just sacrifice the time value of money on aircraft equity. But in my mind I say I sacrifice buying new cars to justify the aviation money, but the used cars I buy are still pretty sweet. Terrible first-world issues we have, eh?

Back