What have you sacrificed for aviation?

My hearing....

My first CFI did not allow headsets.

He is still teaching and I shake my head every time I run into one of his students.
What did u learn in and how loud do u speak to overcome the noise of a typical single engine ?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Your question caught me by surprise, I have never thought that I sacrifice anything to fly. Sure time and money, but I enjoy the time and don't miss the money. All hobbies cost money, some more than others. But I don't fly for a living unlike some of you.

What did u learn in and how loud do u speak to overcome the noise of a typical single engine ?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I have bad tinnitus. The ignorant fool still refuses to wear a headset. We insisted on leaning in to talk. He had bad breath too. I love flying so much, I put up with it until life got in the way.

I talked to one of his current students the other day. The guy has 160 hours with the CFI and no rating. The CFI has him sold on getting his commercial and PPL at the same time. At 160 hours, he should have his PPL, Instrument, and Commercial.

I have bad tinnitus. The ignorant fool still refuses to wear a headset. We insisted on leaning in to talk. He had bad breath too. I love flying so much, I put up with it until life got in the way.

I talked to one of his current students the other day. The guy has 160 hours with the CFI and no rating. The CFI has him sold on getting his commercial and PPL at the same time. At 160 hours, he should have his PPL, Instrument, and Commercial.

I get PPL, maybe IR. But commercial? Want to explain that one?

Tim

I get PPL, maybe IR. But commercial? Want to explain that one?

Tim

I left the CFI 6 years ago. The current student is being sold on getting his PPL and Commercial. I shake my head on the Commercial+PPL. I shake my head a the 160 hours. I do not get it either.

I love to fly. He was renting me his 140 for $60 an hour wet. The CFI was charging me $20 an hour for instruction. When I flew without the CFI, I only paid the $60.

I was just doing what my 'trusted' CFI was telling me to do, until I went to the local pilot shop and talked to the owner. The owner shook her head and said I was one of a long list of students who had been strung along by that CFI. I have to add that this was during the financial meltdown and I know I was his only student at that time.

I was not a great student. I just loved (and now love to fly with my license) to go out and fly.

The current student bought his airplane and now only pays for the CFI to instruct. I did not ask what the student is paying the CFI, but at 160 hours... $1 an hour is too much.

what have you sacrificed in your personal life to feed your addiction?

Money and the things it can buy, mainly. If I didn't have an airplane, I'd be driving that Tesla I really want. (I'll either get a new Model 3 or a used Model S within the next year, though.)

Looking around at my neighbors, I'd probably have a pool in the backyard and a motor home... But I have a nice house on 2 acres. I suppose maybe I'd be paying someone else to mow/shovel/prune/weed/clean.

I'm lucky to have an amazing wife who loves to fly with me, and who is willing to be with me in the sacrifices we make for aviation.

I'd be able to retire someday...

I'd say my wife has done the sacrificing. Actually been thinking about giving up the airplane to get her the house she deserves. Can't do both.

Repeat after me: "I can live in an airplane, but I can't fly a house."

Money and the things it can buy, mainly. If I didn't have an airplane, I'd be driving that Tesla I really want. (I'll either get a new Model 3 or a used Model S within the next year, though.)

Looking around at my neighbors, I'd probably have a pool in the backyard and a motor home... But I have a nice house on 2 acres. I suppose maybe I'd be paying someone else to mow/shovel/prune/weed/clean.

I'm lucky to have an amazing wife who loves to fly with me, and who is willing to be with me in the sacrifices we make for aviation.

I'd be able to retire someday...

Repeat after me: "I can live in an airplane, but I can't fly a house."

This is how I used to "do the math" on this question too. I changed my mind, and you saw my answer above.

If I really wanted to do something else or own something else, I would.

Like you, also pretty lucky to have a spouse who would rather we both do stuff we want to rather than accumulate stuff. Or debt. I've watched couples with a person in them who needs to be perceived as having a particular lifestyle, really screw their SO.

Family time, Christmases, family functions, birthdays, anniversaries, reunions, free time, safety... so all told not too much. :p

Family time, Christmases, family functions, birthdays, anniversaries, reunions, free time, safety... so all told not too much. :p

All of those except for the last two, the controlling factor is whether or not you like your family. Hahahaha. :)

I don't sacrifice anything.. I just work extra hard and lots of overtime to do the things I love.

All of those except for the last two, the controlling factor is whether or not you like your family. Hahahaha. :)

I'd say the controlling factor is the military. The subjective factor (whether it matters to you or not) is whether you like your family. :)

Then you are sacrificing your time!

And if you spend too much time working, then you don't have the time to fly enough! :goofy:

Other option is to be lazy and not afford to fly, or ride bikes, or go boating. I can just sit home like the rest of America and complain I don't have anything and ask for life to be handed to me :)

Back