What have you sacrificed for aviation?

WannFly

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Priyo
doesnt matter whether you rent the plane or borrow the plane or stole it
doesnt matter whether you own a typical spam can or a TBM or a 747

what have you sacrificed in your personal life to feed your addiction? if you havent sacrificed anything (hard to believe, sacrifice can be material or non-material), good for you, but for all us mere mortals i would think the we had to give up something to feed this addiction.

i will go first

-- gave up Hanger at an awesome FBO with lot of red carpet service and moved to a non-towered small airport with nothing apart from fuel and mx. i am thinking this will come back bite me on the arse this winter when its -20

-- ran some numbers and cut out everything i could (that include doing some stuff on my own that i absolutely HATE) so that i can redirect those funds for gas/mx/upgrades

what have you given up?

$6K and 41hours of my personal time over about 3 months back in '08. Maybe another $1K since then. That about covers it. :)

Just money for me. It's one of those things that keeps me sane, so I'm glad to have it.

I do things I detest, but I am capable of doing to save a few bucks here and there.
e.g. painting the house, mowing the lawn, reseeding the lawn, driving a basic model car, hand washing the car, rarely eat out...

Tim

Sacrifice is an aggressive word, but I would agree with Ryan that it's mainly just money.. but like @citizen5000 said is that even really a sacrifice? It brings me more happiness using it to fly than if it were sitting in an account, or getting spent on something else

It's one of those things for me that keeps me sane
100%
It's the ultimate freedom
And there's no uber-sensitive-pc-aviation gods that you can go complain to if you screw up.. ultimately that's on you. I like that about it. When I fly my destiny is, at that point, most entirely and most immediately in my own hands, almost entirely free from the world

Yeah, not much to sacrifice when the entirety of your aviation experience comes from a Cirrus brochure and a subscription to Popular Science.

I have 1200 hrs plus and have owned three aircraft. All new. You?

Money but I would have spent it on something so I don't consider it giving up. Time but same thing.

I also gave up long drives to the beach, staying at home instead of making short trips to interesting places.

This reminds me of the court room speech Steve Martin gave in "My Blue Heaven." A great movie and well cast.

I'd say my wife has done the sacrificing. Actually been thinking about giving up the airplane to get her the house she deserves. Can't do both.

Pretty much all free time and expendable money go to aviation.

Actually, in the air ambulance field, I get paid to wait. Wait for the phone to ring, wait for the ambulance,.......
so in other words.. you get paid for doing nothing :happydance:

Oh, I'd say around 200K in just the last 10 years.

1100+ days away from my family in various deployments and TDYs.

I'd probably have a few more sports cars if I didn't have an airplane but I'm very happy with what I have (at least in terms of cars - I do dream of airplane upgrades all the time).

Nothing, what ever I sacrificed I have been paid back in full and then some. But training was dirt cheap back when I did it.

Moved all over the US when I started out in aviation, also probably could have made more money in a diffrent industry, but I would have had to actually go to "work".

For my personal plane, maybe a little money, little time here and there for owner assist stuff, but the memories and fun times I've made having the abilities and freedoms it gives me, I'd say I'm faaar from being in the red on that deal :)

TWO goats and a fatted calf.

Other than that, I spend my money on the things like flying and building airplanes I want more than other things I really don't want much at all, like a ginormous TV or a McMansion. Girlfriends fit somewhere in between along with staying at a Ritz Carlton once in a while instead of a Hampton Inn.

Cheers

Back