What did you do for aviation today.

I answered the lingering question, "will it fit?"

yes, yes it will fit!

View attachment 61272

View attachment 61273
Nice! I just bought a Ping carry bag that will juuuuust lie flat in my baggage area when I put it in diagonally. Gotta fly to Mesquite, NV and play Wolf Creek...it looks like the clubhouse is only a quarter mile from the airport.

Nice! I just bought a Ping carry bag that will juuuuust lie flat in my baggage area when I put it in diagonally. Gotta fly to Mesquite, NV and play Wolf Creek...it looks like the clubhouse is only a quarter mile from the airport.

I wonder if they'll come pick you up at the airport? I've mentioned to a few pro shops that I was flying into a local field just to play their course and many have said "oh just calls us, we'll come pick you up".

I thought I was going to have to take the clubs out and put them in the baggage area thru the baggage door but I had plenty of room for the full bag with clubs. I do want to put something down on the seat and backrest so the weight of the bags don't leave marks in the super sweet 1970's green cloth interior.

Worked on fabricating a new fuel tank. And, after rolling the beading, bending the ends, measuring twice, when I went to trim it to width, I made both cuts off the same side instead of the opposite sides. Cursed. Cut out another blank, dragged the bead roller back out, and started again. (The sides / top are all formed and trimmed to size, just had to re-do the bottom panel.)

Nothing today, but a couple of days ago, I did an Angel Flight and flew a 9 year old liver transplant patient and her father from Fresno to Palo Alto. In IMC most of the way. And it was their first time ever on a plane of any kind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wonder if they'll come pick you up at the airport? I've mentioned to a few pro shops that I was flying into a local field just to play their course and many have said "oh just calls us, we'll come pick you up".

I thought I was going to have to take the clubs out and put them in the baggage area thru the baggage door but I had plenty of room for the full bag with clubs. I do want to put something down on the seat and backrest so the weight of the bags don't leave marks in the super sweet 1970's green cloth interior.

Replacement cloth in that shaggadellically groovy shade can't be found just anywhere. Careful!

I bet you're right that they'd pick me up at the course, but looking at Google maps, it seems like a really short walk.

Registering my new boat, trying to fit it under "ground support equipment" for the plane, also moving stuff around in the hanger. So that kinda counts lol

Working through a plane purchase. Coordinated with seller who dropped plane off at shop for pre-buy evaluation

I gave unsolicited advice and bragged a lot.

Actually, I am working with my FO getting him ready for his Captain upgrade.

Me? I'm working on a new STC for Super cubs and several other PA-teens

What kind of STC? I’ve got a couple of cubs that might benefit depending on what it is.

nice thread.
I did a bunch of inspect/clean/repair on a 150 I unmothballed and am prepping for later sale.

Details please. I’ve got a former student looking for one.

My companion (also a pilot) told me that I shouldn't have said that it was too windy over the radio. I replied, maybe some student pilot is contemplating going and heard me say that and scrubbed their flight as well. You can't really teach good judgment, just gotta be an example.

I for one am glad to support you on that Tim. If it were one of my students I would hope they'd take a hint after hearing you and taxi back. That's IF I had even let them go in the first place. Well done I say. :thumbsup:

MCO-SFO-PDX,
317 passengers,
2 airplanes,
8.1 block hours,
1 charted FMS visual,
1 RNAV (RNP) 0.30,
Roughly 4,485 gallons of Jet-A,
1 BLT on sourdough from Klein's Deli...

Had a great morning flight with one of my students. He flew everything pretty darn good but unfortunately his medical is undergoing scrutiny and I can't solo him until that's resolved. :(

Had a great morning flight with one of my students. He flew everything pretty darn good but unfortunately his medical is undergoing scrutiny and I can't solo him until that's resolved. :(

Whats the average hours these days for a newbie to solo?

Whats the average hours these days for a newbie to solo?

Hard to say, I don't emphasize solo as much as make them a safe pilot so when they do solo they can handle anything that comes up. I would say anywhere between 10 to 20 hours, some even longer. I inherited one that has quite a few hours and hasn't soloed yet but he's making progress.

I found out that after 4 &1/2 months in the avionics shop that my number one comm is toast (it was fine when I delivered the airplane) and the brand new number two comm isn't working either, and I didn't murder anyone.

Not a darned thing. Did enjoy watching LUC beat K-State.

Bottom of the new fuel tank is tacked to the sides. Billet filler cap and all of the couplings are machined and ready to be welded on. Need to drill the holes in the tank first.
20180326_083845[1].jpg 20180326_104659[1].jpg

I got direct after the first vector. :)
Soaked up some sun above the deck and then got back down below it with a grin on my face that I still have right now.

Rode my Vespa to the airport, checked the windsock, contemplated a lap around the pattern, went in my hangar, looked over the plane, changed the ear buds on my Clarity Aloft, checked the wind sock, googled a visiting plane's N-number (from Tulsa), contemplated a lap around the pattern, went back in the hangar and swept up some bird crap (I gotta figure out how those bastards are getting in!), then opted out of flying and Vespa'd home.
Did not like what the wind sock was telling you?

I flew the Cub, did not bust any "D", "C" or "B" airspaces, and did not violate any noise reduction regs by colliding with a student and his instructor in the pattern while landing.
The hand-held got wonky about 30 minutes into the flight. I could hear everyone talking, but they couldn't hear me.
When I got back, the student made a 45 degree entry in the downwind side while I was also downwind. I saw them, but they had no idea I was ahead of them in the pattern, until they turned final and saw me landing. Turns out there was something wrong with the external antenna on the Cub. From now on, I think I will fly with my short antenna in my pocket, instead of in the baggage box behind me.
Just another day at the office. No heat, no brakes, no radio, and the tailwheel didn't want to turn to the right.

Took off work, so I could work on a house that I'm flipping, that will help me buy a plane, that will make me start a thread about which plane to buy, that will make everyone suggest something other than what I ask about, which will probably start an argument, which I don't care, because I got to be off work, so I could work on a house that I'm flipping, that will help me buy a plane.

Back