We can say Pilot License after all

Damn... sounds like they made the Sport license (okay, certificate) complicated.

Feel free to use them interchangeably. Everyone will know what you mean. A license is the intangible grant of permission. The certificate is the material record that you have been granted the license.
Than why don’t I have a Florida driver’s certificate?

Than why don’t I have a Florida driver’s certificate?
Because someone screwed up, and the screw up has been perpetuated. It's not evident in normal conversation that "license" is the wrong word because the word now has two meanings. The definition has changed over time to incorporate the written certificate of the license as well as the permission itself.

https://thelawdictionary.org/license/

That has not really happened with the word "certificate." That word still really only has one meaning-- the tangible document or instrument granting you license.

Last edited:
Because someone screwed up, and the screw up has been perpetuated. But also, you have a license, as well. So it's not evident in normal conversation that you used the wrong word. And, as I said, everyone knows what you mean. So, the definition has changed over time to incorporate the written certificate of the license.

https://thelawdictionary.org/license/

What is LICENSE?
In the law of contracts. A permission, accorded by a competent authority, conferring the right to do some act which without such authorization would be illegal.

What is CERTIFICATE?
A written assurance, or official representation, that some act has or has not been done, or some event occurred, or some legal formality been complied with.

A license is merely permission, and can be granted without any assurance that the issuing body has verified that the holder is competent to exercise the granted privileges. A certificate, OTOH, is a representation that the issuing body has verified competence.

It would be more proper to issue drivers' certificates, since all states require a test to demonstrate competence. My fishing license, though, is appropriate as no one from the state is assuring that I know how to tie a clinch knot, make a double-haul fly cast, or net a fish.

What is LICENSE?
In the law of contracts. A permission, accorded by a competent authority, conferring the right to do some act which without such authorization would be illegal.

What is CERTIFICATE?
A written assurance, or official representation, that some act has or has not been done, or some event occurred, or some legal formality been complied with.

A license is merely permission, and can be granted without any assurance that the issuing body has verified that the holder is competent to exercise the granted privileges. A certificate, OTOH, is a representation that the issuing body has verified competence.

It would be more proper to issue drivers' certificates, since all states require a test to demonstrate competence. My fishing license, though, is appropriate as no one from the state is assuring that I know how to tie a clinch knot, make a double-haul fly cast, or net a fish.

I'm with you on most of this. But there is nothing about the definition of "certificate" which necessarily requires or implies verification of competence. The official "event" that is being documents is the grant of permission. It is happenstance that with respect to pilot certificates, the approval process requires a demonstration of competence. You can have certificates of title, incorporation, or even birth.

But there is nothing about the definition of "certificate" which necessarily requires or implies verification of competence.

This is true, but certificate does carry an "assurance or official representation" of some action. That's more than a license. In the case of pilots, the action that's being certified is the successful completion of examinations intended to demonstrate competence.

You can have certificates of title, incorporation, or even birth.

Yes, but all of these certify that some action has transpired: transfer of ownership, forming a business, downloading a baby.

Contrast that with a fishing license, which merely gives permission to fish. You can get a fishing license without ever catching a fish, or even wetting a line, for that matter.

tenor.gif

No. I recall the GADO boss having his father's original pilot's license hanging on the wall which was issued by the Aero Club of America. That's what got the conversation going as we were over there to get our A&P test authorization cards. I seem to remember him stating the Aero Club was the only game in town until around '27 or '28 when the CAA was formed. Where true or not it made for an interesting conversation that I still remember to today. But I've also read somewhere a license violation requires a court setting and a certificate violation only requires an administrative setting. So that would be close.
Nah. If the FAA called it a license, the rules would most likely be exactly the same.

But that's not always true, and hence the confusion.

I have a Sport Pilot Certificate. On the back, it does NOT list "ratings." Instead, it very specifically says "SPORT ENDORSEMENT(S) AIRPLANCE SINGLE ENGINE LAND."

If I were to add on, say, ASES, it would be an endorsement, not a rating.

Yeah but I was referring to REAL pilot certificates. Y'all don't have ratings cause you don't rate.

:D;)

But yeah, you are right. I stand corrected in reference to Sport Pilot Certificates.

Using both in conversation: cool vs nerdy.

"I've got my pilot's license." = a rare person might be semi-interested.

"Well, actually, what I've got is my pilot's certificate. You see, the term 'license', does not apply, because " = people are already done listening.

"Well, actually, what I've got is my pilot's certificate. You see, the term 'license', does not apply, because " = people are already done listening.

I was just going to say about the same thing.

If you are at a party And someone says, “so, you have your pilots license?” And you answer “no,but I have a pilot certificate” You have just told them everything they need to know about you, and it has nothing to do with your ability to fly an airplane. :)

I'm going to use that! :D

Well that settles it; I'm both a geek AND a nerd! :eek2:

So, am I understanding correctly?? If you have a certificate you automatically have a license, but not the other way around.

If that’s true, than PPL is 100% correct, as is PPC.

My laptop once ran Linux.
I still have an old laptop that runs Linux. It's hooked up to my stereo system for streaming music. Was also hooked up to my TV pre-FireStick.

Some years back I ran Linux as my main system for a while. Somehow I managed to break it and went back to Windows.

Back