United Airlines FA has a federal air marshal arrested and handcuffed

A FAM flashing a gun in flight?..... C'mon. I'm not buying it. It violates every tenant they have and would be so egregious that even the dumbest FAM wouldn't do it. There is much more to this than is being published.

Yeah, just as unbelieveable as an FBI agent dropping his gun out of his holster in a nightclub in Denver, then discharging it while trying to retrieve it and hitting someone in the leg. Couldn't happen, right?

Yeah, just as unbelieveable as an FBI agent dropping his gun out of his holster in a nightclub in Denver, then discharging it while trying to retrieve it and hitting someone in the leg. Couldn't happen, right?

I hope he got new underwear after that...looks like the elastic in the ones he was wearing didn't do the job.

Reminds me a little of that movie Nonstop with Liam Neeson

That has got to be the most hilarious thing I've ever seen. :rofl: 10 minutes later I'm still in stitches.

Including people on forums who make assumptions about what might've happened before all the facts come out.

Including people on forums who make assumptions about what might've happened before all the facts come out.
That's the purpose of the forum, right?

Nope, I don't buy it. I'm pretty sure the marshals are know to the crew by seat assignment if not personal introduction.

That was my experience when I flew at an airline. FAs know also.

We serviced Brunswick GA where Federal agents from different agencies train at the old Navy base there. They all would stick their head in the cockpit, introduce themselves, and present their seat assignment card. My biggest worry was that they all knew of each other and wouldn't have a Wild West shootout!

Last edited:
Nope, I don't buy it. I'm pretty sure the marshals are know to the crew by seat assignment if not personal introduction.
Well we’re supposed to know. These RJs are usually on very quick turns (25-35 minutes) so I can see how a gate agent could miss this and forget to communicate with the crew when they’re really only thinking about loading everyone up and getting out on time so they don’t get in trouble.

Well we’re supposed to know. These RJs are usually on very quick turns (25-35 minutes) so I can see how a gate agent could miss this and forget to communicate with the crew when they’re really only thinking about loading everyone up and getting out on time so they don’t get in trouble.
But aren’t they supposed to be boarded first? And aren’t they supposed to introduce themselves to the crew?

But aren’t they supposed to be boarded first? And aren’t they supposed to introduce themselves to the crew?
At one point there was a policy to keep his/her identity a secret from the crew. I don't know if that went very far.

That happens to any Major that paints its logo on the tail of a regional.
I hear you, but it all looks "United". I've traveled 4 segments on a single trip without stepping on a "United" plane, but everything says "United".
That happens to any Major that paints its logo on the tail of a regional.
If I were in charge, I would do away with the regional partners thing and go strictly code share. Let them buy their own airplanes and generally survive on their own. No subsidies. Or, conversely, since we are buying the airplanes for them anyway, bring all that flying in house and just do away with them altogether.

But I am not a bean counter. If they can save a few pennies here and there with the partners, they will. As a non bean counter myself, I don’t see how they are saving much if any money with this business model.

Believe me, having to deal with some of these issues myself, I understand the problem. As does any airline employee that works in a different city than where the live. We just don’t have a lot of power to change things.

1. Not necessarily
2. Not necessarily

Like I said in my previous post, in a quick turn, I could see how it could have gotten overlooked.

A FAM flashing a gun in flight?..... C'mon. I'm not buying it. It violates every tenant they have and would be so egregious that even the dumbest FAM wouldn't do it. There is much more to this than is being published.

Oops wrong side. Badge is on my LEFT hip, gun is on my RIGHT. My mistake!

Or maybe it wasn't disclosed because of "Quiet Skies".

I'm thinking maybe something involving Quiet Skies was going on because he demanded to see the passenger manifest. Unless he just made that up as an excuse to talk to her.

When the FAM program first started, they were required to dress in suits and board the flight first....until the FAMS correctly pointed out that kinda removed the “secret” part of the exercise. As a retired FFDO, I can assure you that the program is highly structured and monitored. After attending several training sessions with FAMs and watching some of them shoot, if I am ever a passenger and something happens and I hear someone yell “Federal Agent”, you will find me flossing my teeth with the carpet.

Do we know other side of story? I highly doubt that trained professionals would do something like this without a good reason. Lots of FAs have very bad attitude and because they are unionized etc many of them think that they are above the law when they are in the air.

Do we know other side of story? I highly doubt that trained professionals would do something like this without a good reason. Lots of FAs have very bad attitude and because they are unionized etc many of them think that they are above the law when they are in the air.[/QUOTE
Really Doc...so that Capt also was duped by the FA...Union...? Wow..

Only until we make decisions that affect 200 lives.
I can affect lives too, just not usually death. Which is why we get that stupid nickname. The profession has evolved way beyond what it used to be.

I can affect lives too, just not usually death. Which is why we get that stupid nickname. The profession has evolved way beyond what it used to be.

Bean counter ain’t so bad. At least you aren’t being called a wrench-bending knuckle-dragging grease monkey. I just shrug it off.

. . . or a (soon-to-be) "wire-puller." :)

Do we know other side of story? I highly doubt that trained professionals would do something like this without a good reason. Lots of FAs have very bad attitude and because they are unionized etc many of them think that they are above the law when they are in the air.
They do seem to be far more militant these days and far less service oriented.

Back