United Airlines FA has a federal air marshal arrested and handcuffed

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
United Airlines just isn't having the best of luck in the media and public relations department....

Flight attendant mistakes air marshal for passenger with gun, cops haul him off plane

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2018/...ssenger-with-gun-cops-haul-him-off-plane.html

A federal air marshal on a United Airlines flight was handcuffed by authorities and removed from the plane after a flight attendant thought he was a civilian who “flashed a gun,” according to reports.

The flight was operated by Indianapolis-based Republic Airline. Republic says the airline is working with investigators.​

My wife is a UA FA and just asked her.....says she knows exactly where Air Marshals are on the plane along with other individuals and guards when transporting prisoners and deportees...Republic may not have a similar system...but that's a new one for sure.

And I’m betting the federal air Marshall didn’t identify himself as such during this process until he was off the airplane because they’re supposed to be incognito...yelling, “I’m a federal air Marshall...I’m SUPPOSED to have a gun!” Probably would defeat the purpose. ;)

And I’m betting the federal air Marshall didn’t identify himself as such during this process until he was off the airplane because they’re supposed to be incognito...yelling, “I’m a federal air Marshall...I’m SUPPOSED to have a gun!” Probably would defeat the purpose. ;)

Plus safest thing to do is let the arresting officers be in control and secure the area until they ask questions as to why you have a gun, then produce the ID.

Sounds like someone needs to work on their concealment rig.

Nope, I don't buy it. I'm pretty sure the marshals are know to the crew by seat assignment if not personal introduction.

From the article:

"FBI officials blamed the incident on a miscommunication . . ."

Ya think?!? :)

Alternate theory . . . maybe it was a "test," of sorts. Kinda like trying to "sneak" stuff past the screeners. Just thinking out loud.

Or maybe it wasn't disclosed because of "Quiet Skies".

More to the story for sure. I’d start with some form of ‘miscommunication’.

Nope, I don't buy it. I'm pretty sure the marshals are know to the crew by seat assignment if not personal introduction.
I'm saying they're not supposed to be known to the other passengers...probably wasn't clear enough.

Am I the ONLY person on this forum who is not spoiled in one way or another?

Yeah I fly for free...

My wife's funniest story from a recent trip includes an Air Marshal in business class who came into the galley reporting that a young women beside him was masturbating under a blanket, asking her what to do...she said she laughed and asked him if it was a security issue he should take care of it...then she let him off the hook and sure enough took care of the situation....My wife fly's these day to get out of the house and benefits...probably would have handle a gun flash/imprint different as well, since she has a CHL

Last edited:
Brilliant LEO tactics, boarding and taking the "suspect" off the plane, if the he was really a "bad guy" he could have started shooting the place up. Smarter would have been to deplane everyone for some plausible bogus reason then nab the guy as he came out of the jetway.

Brilliant LEO tactics, boarding and taking the "suspect" off the plane, if the he was really a "bad guy" he could have started shooting the place up. Smarter would have been to deplane everyone for some plausible bogus reason then nab the guy as he came out of the jetway.

But, but, that wouldn't be good security theater.

Idiot flashed his gun in what appears to be showing off instead of quickly showing her his creds to identify himself. Don't show your gun! I've been flying armed for 15 years and not once had a problem. That's why you follow the rules.

Yeah I fly for free...

My wife's funniest story from a recent trip includes an Air Marshal in business class who came into the galley reporting that a young women beside him was masturbating under a blanket, asking her what to do...she said she laughed and asked him if it was a security issue he should take care of it...then she let him off the hook and sure enough took care of the situation....My wife fly's these day to get out of the house and benefits...probably would have handle a gun flash/imprint different as well, since she has a CHL

Now, that is one marshal who should have flashed his gun.

ok so why would the FAM flash his gun and not the badge to the FA?

United has already proven they can beat people up and kill their dogs and the planes are still full. No need to sweat about this. They need to stop wasting time apologizing.

A FAM flashing a gun in flight?..... C'mon. I'm not buying it. It violates every tenant they have and would be so egregious that even the dumbest FAM wouldn't do it. There is much more to this than is being published.

A FAM flashing a gun in flight?..... C'mon. I'm not buying it. It violates every tenant they have and would be so egregious that even the dumbest FAM wouldn't do it. There is much more to this than is being published.

Maybe they're not as buttoned-up as you think. Look what happened at the same departure airport not even a year ago. http://archive.is/kJalY

NDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — The Transportation Security Administration said it is conducting screening at departure gates at Indianapolis International Airport after a federal air marshal misplaced a weapon.
Mike England, a national spokesperson with TSA, issued this statement Thursday afternoon:
TSA is aware that a Federal Air Marshal misplaced a weapon at the Indianapolis International Airport and is working with local authorities to recover it. While we cannot comment publicly on internal matters currently under investigation, public safety and accountability is an important aspect of our work, and TSA has conducted screening at departure gates in the terminal.”

I’ve learned over the years not to underestimate the level of stupidity that some people aspire to.

Back