Turn on course / turn out - what exactly does that mean?

Yes, the meaning of "is" is transient. When granted the clearance, the tower did not care. After I am a few hundred feet in the air, the tower may care. In the case of the intersecting runway, that other plane will be waiting if tower could not plan that far ahead and provide turn out or vector directions.
Such a level of distinction is like counting angels on the head of a pin. It is meaningless to us mere mortals.

Tim
Well Tim, et al, flying safety is enhanced by standard procedures. Under Airport Operations in the AIM in the first paragraph is this:

"This section defines some rules, practices, and procedures that pilots should be familiar with and adhere to for safe airport operations."
Where does it say in the ensuing description of procedures that the "tower really does not care"?

Well Tim, et al, flying safety is enhanced by standard procedures. Under Airport Operations in the AIM in the first paragraph is this:

"This section defines some rules, practices, and procedures that pilots should be familiar with and adhere to for safe airport operations."
Where does it say in the ensuing description of procedures that the "tower really does not care"?

Where does it say I'm allowed to fly wearing orange shorts?

dQMZ7Dw.jpg

Depends on what the meaning of "is" is. From the next moment on there could be traffic reporting to the tower for the first time and the controller would need to consider the expected flight path of the departed traffic. Another aircraft ready for departure from an intersecting runway comes immediately to mind as the most likely potential conflict.
This is true regardless of what you do though. And remember that no separation services are provided in Class D airspace (the majority of towered airports) and Class C separation for VFRs can be visual. Where the controller is concerned about separation, he's going to give you an instruction, not guess or assume what you're going to do.

My point is that "left turn out approved," is not an instruction.

It is because it implies that any other type of departure that's not a left turn is not approved.

I have taught many students to operate at several different towered airports. I follow the "don't buzz any buildings" which falls under common sense and 91.13. I have never had a controller get upset or question me for turning on course too early. There is no reason to wait until DER when you're taking off a Cessna on an 11,000 foot runway, they would rather you get out of the way so they can clear more departures behind you. I have had a few get impatient if we waited until TPA minus 300, even when staying in the pattern.

There’s no 300 ft requirement for departing traffic and no requirement to issue departure instructions. I’ve cleared plenty of VFR aircraft for takeoff with no departure instructions. You’ve got their direction of flight, there’s no conflicts, “Cobra 11, runway eight, wind calm (USN / USMC), cleared for takeoff.” Done.

Any good Local Controller will throw out any expectations when there isn’t a reg to cover it. If a controller has a departing aircraft and they’re worried about an early crosswind turn that may conflict with the AIM, they’d better issue an instructions early. If they don’t have traffic, then they don’t care, or shouldn’t care. A lot of controllers are too wordy or over controlling when it’s not necessary. No point in having an air craft report base every time in closed traffic if that’s the only traffic you’re working. Just like there’s no point in saying “left turn out approved” with no traffic.

Last edited:
It is because it implies that any other type of departure that's not a left turn is not approved.
And yet, I don't need approval to turn any direction I choose is Class C or D airspace unless I've received a contrary instruction, so the fact that other types of departures are "not approved" doesn't mean they are prohibited. So for all intents and purposes, "Left turn out approved," means, "You've said, or I think, you want to turn left, and I have no problem with that." Sure, if you plan to do something else, it'd be nice to let tower know that: "Actually, I'd like to turn right."

There’s no 300 ft requirement for departing traffic and no requirement to issue departure instructions. I’ve cleared plenty of VFR aircraft for takeoff with no departure instructions. You’ve got their direction of flight, there’s no conflicts, “Cobra 11, runway eight, wind calm (USN / USMC), cleared for takeoff.” Done.

Any good Local Controller will throw out any expectations when there isn’t a reg to cover it. If a controller has a departing aircraft and they’re worried about an early crosswind turn that may conflict with the AIM, they’d better issue an instructions early. If they don’t have traffic, then they don’t care, or shouldn’t care. A lot of controllers are too wordy or over controlling when it’s not necessary. No point in having an air craft report base every time in closed traffic if that’s the only traffic you’re working. Just like there’s no point in saying “left turn out approved” with no traffic.

The delta I fly out of has a 7k runway that is used most of the time, and a 5 k runway. It's a relatively busy airport. I'm off the ground usually within about 1,200 feet, and probably high enough to turn by the middle of the runway ( a few hundred at least). But I wouldn't dream of turning then. If they want an early turn they will ask you to do it. It' also a noise sensitive area, as are most airports, so it's better to climb as high is you can over the remaining runway rather than blasting over people's houses at 500 feet.

I guess it's what I'm used to, it would be nice to fly in a place you don't have to worry about it.

The delta I fly out of has a 7k runway that is used most of the time, and a 5 k runway. It's a relatively busy airport. I'm off the ground usually within about 1,200 feet, and probably high enough to turn by the middle of the runway ( a few hundred at least). But I wouldn't dream of turning then. If they want an early turn they will ask you to do it. It' also a noise sensitive area, as are most airports, so it's better to climb as high is you can over the remaining runway rather than blasting over people's houses at 500 feet.

I guess it's what I'm used to, it would be nice to fly in a place you don't have to worry about it.

I wouldn’t turn early in that case either. Really, I always adhere to the AIM depicted pattern if I’m flying fixed wing.

But, “should” and “shall” are two different things and I wouldn’t hold any pilot to AIM recommendations when departing a pattern.

I wouldn’t turn early in that case either. Really, I always adhere to the AIM depicted pattern if I’m flying fixed wing.

But, “should” and “shall” are two different things and I wouldn’t hold any pilot to AIM recommendations when departing a pattern.

Yup, those infernal machines with wings that spin but still can fly? Those things do what they want, but I haven't run into a bad pilot in one yet, always really good at telling you where they are and causing minimal to no disruption.

My point is that "left turn out approved," is not an instruction.
I don't care what you call it. My point is the same.

Make a right turnout after requesting a departure direction that is a shorter turn if you turn left and the controller saying "left turn/turnout approved" and you'll have a surprised controller. Surprised controllers are not ideal. There may be conflicting traffic that was never mentioned because everything you'd said indicated a left turnout.

What is it, then, that they DO expect when simply cleared for takeoff? Left turn? Right turn? Straight out? At what altitude are they expected to make any turn? They must have SOME expectation in order to control other traffic.
What did you tell them when you called for taxi? What did you tell them when you called ready for takeoff?

If you gave an indication of your direction of flight then they'd expect you to turn and proceed in that direction. If you didn't tell them anything, and they never asked, then they don't care what you do.

The standard traffic pattern, and the phraseology from the P/CG describing the parts of a traffic pattern, are all tools that a towered-airports controller can use, when needed, to aid in sequencing traffic. If the controller doesn't give any such instructions then you are only limited by the requirements of 14 CFR 91.126 - 91.131.

If the controller doesn't give any such instructions then you are only limited by the requirements of 14 CFR 91.126 - 91.131.
Then you can disregard this?

Under Airport Operations in the AIM in the first paragraph is this:

"This section defines some rules, practices, and procedures that pilots should be familiar with and adhere to for safe airport operations."​

Sounds like his instructor did talk about it, but I wouldn't follow some of his advice. For instance, his turn as soon as you want, just don't fly over airport buildings, I don't think is good advice as you'd be turning into the pattern, better to fly to the end of the runway IMO, better to be over the runway if your engine goes too. Pretty sure at my home base they wouldn't be happy about it, unless they ask you to do it.
At a towered airport, traffic isn't necessarily following a standard pattern, so it's fine to turn as soon as you're at a safe altitude unless the controller says otherwise.

Then you can disregard this?

Under Airport Operations in the AIM in the first paragraph is this:

"This section defines some rules, practices, and procedures that pilots should be familiar with and adhere to for safe airport operations."​

Yes, because it says "should" and not "shall."

Next question.

Yes, because it says "should" and not "shall."

Next question.
It says "should be familiar with", so I guess you can close your eyes and not read it then. But now that you've read it, it also says, "adhere to for safe airport operations", so now you're stuck.

How do you get around that?

Based on previous discussions, @dtuuri never follows such nuances of the English language.

Tim (I could not resist)
How was that for nuanced?

(I couldn't either. :))

Should is still the operative word for the entire statement. Were it not, the second part would have a different qualifier. It doesn't, so the "adhere to" is also a should, not a shall.

Should is still the operative word for the entire statement. Were it not, the second part would have a different qualifier. It doesn't, so the "adhere to" is also a should, not a shall.
Ok, I'll give ya an "A" for arguing, but I know if I were the one who clipped someone's tail feathers, after I chandelled through their departure leg instead of remaining on my own, I wouldn't have to worry about counting my future aviation carbon credits—there wouldn't be any. YMMV.

Ok, I'll give ya an "A" for arguing, but I know if I were the one who clipped someone's tail feathers, after I chandelled through their departure leg instead of remaining on my own, I wouldn't have to worry about counting my future aviation carbon credits—there wouldn't be any. YMMV.

Why are you not doing what you said you would do when you contacted clearance/ground/tower and then got their approval to do what you requested?

At a towered airport, traffic isn't necessarily following a standard pattern, so it's fine to turn as soon as you're at a safe altitude unless the controller says otherwise.

The problem is you have no way of knowing whether the tower is following a standard pattern or not. Traffic arrives from every direction and the clearance given is almost always some type of entry into some portion of a standard traffic pattern.

It takes almost zero effort to tell the controller " nxxxx, my plan is to turn on course at 300 feet, 1,000 feet down the runway." We are taught to communicate intentions at an airport, when taking off or landing. Why would not tell a controller at a controlled airfield our intentions?

The problem is you have no way of knowing whether the tower is following a standard pattern or not. Traffic arrives from every direction and the clearance given is almost always some type of entry into some portion of a standard traffic pattern.

It takes almost zero effort to tell the controller " nxxxx, my plan is to turn on course at 300 feet, 1,000 feet down the runway." We are taught to communicate intentions at an airport, when taking off or landing. Why would not tell a controller at a controlled airfield our intentions?

Because we don't want the government to know everything we do! :D

The vast majority of towers in the US are not responsible for separation in the traffic pattern. So you're creating an artificial distinction between untowered and most towered fields. See and avoid.

The problem is you have no way of knowing whether the tower is following a standard pattern or not.
Exactly — you don't know, so don't make assumptions either way. When I was based at the big international airport (CYOW), there would be up to 3 runways in use, and traffic flying every which way. You have the personal responsibility of see-and-avoid when you're in VMC, of course, but the controllers are the ones who do know where the traffic is, and they'll tell you if there's a possible conflict.

There's no need to be overly clever and try to second-guess tower; while they didn't instruct you to turn immediately as soon as you're at a safe altitude, they're probably assuming you will, and if you delay it might mess up their flows.

Thinking about the whole tower instruction of “left turn out approved” reminds me of this vid. If tower says approved but with a specific direction or position in which to do that maneuver, then it’s an instruction. In this case (start at 13 mins), BA7 was given departure end numbers, carried break approved. Doesn’t matter that ole Kojak (RIP) had his interval (C-2), he was given a specific spot to do the carrier break. He overflew that spot, hence the tower bugging him to “start your break.” He was wrong to jump on the tower for telling him to break. It’s their job.

There's no need to be overly clever and try to second-guess tower; while they didn't instruct you to turn immediately as soon as you're at a safe altitude, they're probably assuming you will, and if you delay it might mess up their flows.

Not my experience, but different areas do things differently I suppose.

Not my experience, but different areas do things differently I suppose.
It may depend on the size of the airport. I'm talking about what would be a class B airport in the U.S., with lots of airline traffic mixing with light pistons. ATC is running an intricate dance, and in my experience there, a suggestion will quickly be repeated as a firm instruction if you take too long over it, e.g. "Bravo juliet oscar - turn left NOW!"

Why are you not doing what you said you would do when you contacted clearance/ground/tower and then got their approval to do what you requested?
It's hard to imagine myself doing something that would catch a controller off-guard, that's why I said, "If I were the one who..."

But it's a fair question for someone else. Suppose a student calls for taxi instructions in accordance with Figure 14-54 of the PHAK (bottom of pg. 14-33) and subsequently is simply cleared for takeoff by the tower. If he immediately turns on course it may surprise ATC (if they even notice) and cause an incident. IMO, the default procedure is to follow the AIM guidance for traffic patterns even at a towered field unless you ask for or are given something else. Saying your direction of flight prior to taxi, to me, isn't enough confirmation of and by itself. Asking for and receiving an on-course departure would be, imo. So we agree about asking.

It's hard to imagine myself doing something that would catch a controller off-guard, that's why I said, "If I were the one who..."

But it's a fair question for someone else. Suppose a student calls for taxi instructions in accordance with Figure 14-54 of the PHAK (bottom of pg. 14-33) and subsequently is simply cleared for takeoff by the tower. If he immediately turns on course it may surprise ATC (if they even notice) and cause an incident. IMO, the default procedure is to follow the AIM guidance for traffic patterns even at a towered field unless you ask for or are given something else. Saying your direction of flight prior to taxi, to me, isn't enough confirmation of and by itself. Asking for and receiving an on-course departure would be, imo. So we agree about asking.

Then you should fly at more towered fields. Very few pilots fly the pattern to leave.

Tim

Then you should fly at more towered fields. Very few pilots fly the pattern to leave.

Tim
Exactly. And it's also true that tower will usually include the turn on course in your takeoff clearance, similar to what the OP posted at the start of this thread. If they care about where/when I turn, they'll tell me; otherwise, if they've just said "turn on course approved" or something like that, I usually turn at 400 ft AGL.

Back