The reason eludes me...

DaleB

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
DaleB
The reason, that is, that so few people seem to know the difference between “elude” and “allude”. It seems like a couple of times a week or more I see someone post something like this (seen tonight): “As you have eluded to”...

Sigh. Just because spell Czech doesn’t squawk doesn’t mean it’s write. Yew no what I mean?

Well, when you have university professors that don't know the difference between lose and loose, it doesn't surprise me with these two words.

A recent and popular misnomer in the press and elsewhere is to use the word "squash" when the proper word is "quash".

A subpoena is not "squashed". One does not "squash" debate.

I find this irritating catachresis in print everywhere. It drives me nuts.

Captain to to always use "then" instead of "than" (or vice versa). Never understood that one.

I also see a lot of "defiantly" instead of "definitely" here.

With that said, some of the most brilliant people I've ever known suck at English. It's not a measure of intelligence by any means. If it were, then we'd all be stupid by British standards. Now that's a body of people who have a command of a language (as a whole). Compare parliamentary debates to congressional debates...we're laughable by comparison.

When you change course, you are taking a different tack, not tact.

And a box kept in a safe is a safe deposit box, not a safety deposit box.

Now, back to working on my hanger.

I suspect what you're seeing is the unintended consequence of automatic spell check. Certainly nails me with frequency.

Affect & effect, peek & peak, the list goes on.

And neither peak nor peek are used correctly when the word they really wanted is pique.

I don't buy the automatic spell check excuse when it is a recurring theme.

I suspect what you're seeing is the unintended consequence of automatic spell check. Certainly nails me with frequency.
And people posting from their phones. I know I have a far more relaxed attitude about what is acceptable when posting from my phone or iPad than I do when at a compute keyboard because it's such a PITA to correct things. Especially on the iPad. Siri is a dumb boned for sure (and she just turned blonde to boned...maybe she wants to be...)

By the way. Have you heard the latest?

Ask Siri to define Mother, she'll give you a definition and then ask if you want the second definition. Tell her yes and she'll use a word that's not allowed here. (I just checked and I guess since it made a splash on the internet last week they've changed it...no more "it's short for mother f***er").

I am by no means perfect when it comes to using proper spelling and grammar, especially via phone. However, I've been asked to proofread emails written by my boss on more occasions than I can count when he's sending something important or needs the written word to sound more elegant than "fix this ****", lol.

My latest peeve is that a lot of people seem to misspell Ceasar salad.

I find the misuse of "to" and "too" to be one of the worst in making the message difficult to read. Such a simple thing, but I have to slow down to read the sentence every time.

Not really the same but "could care less" is the mistake that I find most annoying.

That said, I don't put a lot of effort into proofreading forum posts and am not surprised that others don't, either.

I'm an English major and can ignore almost all misuses except those inflicted upon sheer and shear. For some reason, seeing them used incorrectly makes my teeth hurt.

I'm an English major and can ignore almost all misuses except those inflicted upon sheer and shear. For some reason, seeing them used incorrectly makes my teeth hurt.
This is shear nonsense. :D

Punctuating an speling the English, language can. Be a vary diffacult task four some folks

A recent and popular misnomer in the press and elsewhere is to use the word "squash" when the proper word is "quash".

A subpoena is not "squashed". One does not "squash" debate.

I find this irritating catachresis in print everywhere. It drives me nuts.

Maxine Waters.

I also chuckle a bit when someone refers to their improper word usage or misspellings as typos.

Ask Siri to define Mother, she'll give you a definition and then ask if you want the second definition. Tell her yes and she'll use a word that's not allowed here. (I just checked and I guess since it made a splash on the internet last week they've changed it...no more "it's short for mother f***er").

Has Samuel L. Jackson been programming Siri?

My latest peeve is that a lot of people seem to misspell Ceasar salad.

Years ago, we used to work for a woman who would always ask for a "Seizure salad" at lunch. None of us dared correct her since she was the boss, and it was always a contest to see who could avoid smirking when she did that.

Ketchup..??? Catsup..???

mr_burns_ketchup.jpg

My pet peeves are

"please advice" instead of "please advise"

and

"we are loosing the battle" instead of "we are losing the battle"

As I was pouring over these posts, I could help but think these mistakes are completely reeking havoc with the English language; I am so deeply effected!!! What a bunch of loosers.

Oh well, off to do the conditional inspection on my airplane. :)

Back