the "not worthy of it's own thread" thread

I got two crowns at once last Monday. I figured it had to be a lot easier to do all at one time.

I was mistaken

IMG_20220806_125213098.jpg

GKT is a hopping little airport. 15 planes on the ramp, plus a Waco giving rides and another coming in behind me. 3 planes and 2 helicopters in the pattern. Found myself on opposing bases with a Robinson, but he gave way.

Took off into a 200' ceiling this morning. Wasn't real excited about it, but wanted to beat the afternoon storms in TN, which we mostly did. We did wait to depart until the fog lifted enough I was confident we could fly the ils to get back in. Would've been a bad time for an engine failure though.

I am going to have some ice cream.
And I did. Last night. And, in spite of being a bowl of I scream heavier, I managed to do three stop and goes on less than 1000 feet of runway (only one of those was actually embarrassing - someone must have been watching that one).

A Diamond DA40 was tied down at my local airfield, and walked around it to take a look. Never seen one up close, they're great looking aircraft.

I'm waiting on the email from Powerflow to let me know when to expect my new exhaust system. I was number 1 on the Osh sale list which puts me at the head of the line behind all the previous orders before the sale. They initially said the end of November at the latest but mine should be shipped before that.

If the forecast holds, only a few more hours until I get to climb into a Cessna 170 for the first time. I love flying new-different planes.

My servos for the GFC500 should arrive in two weeks. I hope the plane is airworthy to move it to Wisconsin by then. Although arrival of servos does not mean immediate install. The shop has been turned upside down by delivery date changes.

This thing called a Blackshape showed up on facebook planes for sale.

upload_2022-8-8_11-1-50.png

Because I'm a useless white guy with nothing better to do, I've been spending a nontrivial amount of time trying to suss out whether the name of the plane is just stupid, or stupid and also racist somehow. Lucky for them, I haven't found a way to make it racist.

However, if we have this conversation, I will not be able to prevent this:

Me: "What do you fly?"

You: "A blackshape"

Me: "..." <imagines a large marital aid>

Looks like a sorta cool plane otherwise :) Like some sort of discount jet fantasy.

If the forecast holds, only a few more hours until I get to climb into a Cessna 170 for the first time. I love flying new-different planes.
Wx went to OVC005.. soo trying for Wednesday

I shot a 61 on a par 60 course. Doesn’t mean much though.

I did something very close to that once. My secret was to only play the front nine.

the only way I would be able to avoid shooting more than 63 on the front nine would be if we had a 7 shot max on each hole...

Yesterday it took me nearly 40 minutes of holding short of the runway before I was cleared for takeoff, as there were several students in the pattern and a decent number of departures teed up.
Anyways, watching an endless stream of 152s/172s on final take 14 years to reach the approach end of the runway made me think of this clip from Monty Python:
Every time I looked back over I expected them to be closer, but at one point I was pretty convinced they might actually be traveling in f reverse.

Yesterday it took me nearly 40 minutes of holding short of the runway before I was cleared for takeoff, as there were several students in the pattern and a decent number of departures teed up.
Anyways, watching an endless stream of 152s/172s on final take 14 years to reach the approach end of the runway made me think of this clip from Monty Python:
Every time I looked back over I expected them to be closer, but at one point I was pretty convinced they might actually be traveling in f reverse.
At Dupage? I’ve never waited that long ever.

At Dupage? I’ve never waited that long ever.

It was a very, very bad time at DPA. Ground put EVERYONE on 2L (maybe 10 people wanted to leave at once), and they staggered them with intersection departures that didn't make any sense. It resulted in blockages where people couldn't get down to their intersection, and the sequencing got all messed up.

I got called to take off when I was #2 in line at my intersection W3, and a dude at W2 I think was #3 in line when they cleared him for take off lol (meaning he would have had to plow through the grass around the planes in front of him to get to the runway). Plus the big boys, like a King Air and a Lear who were doing a full length on 2L from Z couldn't get down to their spot. It didn't help that tower was mixing up call signs "skylane" and "seminole" and tail numbers "538" for "398". It was the biggest cluster I've seen at DPA yet!

Actually really ticked me off because they kept letting students do touch-and-goes on 2L even with all the congestion and disorderliness. 2R was fully functional but they only had like 2 planes on there. And when the student traffic was departing on 2L, they were keeping it on 2L, only exacerbating the misery by adding to the traffic.

Meanwhile, I flew out of Wichita (KICT) this morning. A class C which was substantially busier and they had no issue at all. Got everyone queued up and ready to rock. Worked like a well oiled machine

the only way I would be able to avoid shooting more than 63 on the front nine would be if we had a 7 shot max on each hole...
Nah, I was on a par 72 course.

I don't golf, by the way. I got dragged along by in-laws.

So word on the street is that my little 120k ops/yr Class D Airport is out of 100LL. Seems wild. Has something like this happened before?

So word on the street is that my little 120k ops/yr Class D Airport is out of 100LL. Seems wild. Has something like this happened before?

Happens to self-serve all the time @ KGAI. They do have full-serve available and give it to us at the self-serve price when it happens.

Maybe wanted to wait as long as possible to refill the storage tanks hoping for costs to drop more from their supplier.

I needed 1.6hr to hit 250hr p32r time, which I wanted to do before I start my insurance renewal process. Decided to hit up ENL, one of 4 remaining paved IL airports I haven't been to. While I was looking for the bathrooms, a bright color caught my eye through the window and I looked out to see several hot air balloons occupying the airspace I had just used...
IMG_20220817_185855682.jpg IMG_20220817_185901608.jpg

So that was cool. Through the magic of Carson's Speed, I stretched it out to 2.1 hours, and found out that I can fly 130 knots on 10.5gph.

Last edited:
That's nearly 182 speed on 172 fuel burn. Me like!
Yeah-I read about it in one of Mike Busch's articles on flying efficiently-32% above Vy. Turns out it occurs right around 55% power in my plane. I usually run 65% ~150k @ 15gph, so it's definitely more efficient if you're not in a hurry. She'll happily fly slower, but the fuel burn doesn't drop that much

My father in law found a 1970 Cherokee 140 for sale for $75k. It is 6 tail numbers and 6 serial numbers off from mine which means they were on the line at the same time. I looked at the pics and it isn't even close to the quality of mine. Makes me wonder how much mine would sell for in today's market.

My father in law found a 1970 Cherokee 140 for sale for $75k. It is 6 tail numbers and 6 serial numbers off from mine which means they were on the line at the same time. I looked at the pics and it isn't even close to the quality of mine. Makes me wonder how much mine would sell for in today's market.
I think it's cool when planes that were in the factory together 40 years ago get reunited. The OSH N40 chairman flies a Lance that's 3 serial numbers newer than mine. When I went to register last year, the guy taking my info turned around and shouted "hey, Joe, this guy has your tail number". He has something like 8737F and I'm 8735E.

I've been eating a lot of Smart Food lately but I don't think it's working. but it sure is tasty!

Back