the "not worthy of it's own thread" thread

Nice. Is Peggy a Tiger? What shop did you use / recommend ?

Why bother "playing" the pro-bowl? why didn't the NFL just televise some couch potatoes playing the Madden NFL game?
. I agree! I really wish they would bring back the NFL vs a college all star team! They did that back in the 60s - 70s. I think that would be an interesting game! Back then, it was the NFL champs vs college all stars. Maybe now it could be the NFLs worst team vs college all stars? Would be more interesting than what we have now!

Nice. Is Peggy a Tiger? What shop did you use / recommend ?

She is a Traveler. I purchased the kit through Airtex and installed it with the help of my better half. Actually she did most of it. I, apparently, shake the plane too much when I help.

N5414L Grumman AA5 ASEL-Instrument Airplane
Flying is the second greatest thrill known to man

. I agree! I really wish they would bring back the NFL vs a college all star team! They did that back in the 60s - 70s. I think that would be an interesting game! Back then, it was the NFL champs vs college all stars. Maybe now it could be the NFLs worst team vs college all stars? Would be more interesting than what we have now!

Maybe being labeled the "worst team" would incentivize teams not to deliberately lose games (oh no, of course non of them do that... I believe...)

The problem is the worst team would get wiped out by the college all stars.

She is a Traveler. I purchased the kit through Airtex and installed it with the help of my better half. Actually she did most of it. I, apparently, shake the plane too much when I help.

Learned something new. I didn’t know you could tear out and replace an interior on your own - thought it had to be done by an AP. Did you have to add it to your log book?

Last edited:
Learned something new. I didn’t know you could tear out and replace an interior on your own - thought it had to be done by an AP. Did you have to add it to your log book?

Interior work falls under Appendix A of Part 43 (Preventive Maintenance), section (c)
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/appendix-A_to_part_43

43.3 (g) says a private pilot can perform preventive maintenance:
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/43.3

43.9 describes the logging:
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/43.9

Plane has been down for 5 weeks due to hangar rash because of an accident with a club member putting the plane away. I got a discontinuance from my IR checkride, and now haven't flown at all in almost a month and a half. It's killing me! Please bring my bird back soon!

Plane has been down for 5 weeks due to hangar rash because of an accident with a club member putting the plane away. I got a discontinuance from my IR checkride, and now haven't flown at all in almost a month and a half. It's killing me! Please bring my bird back soon!

hope it resolves quickly for you... well, I guess we are past "quickly"... hope it resolves soon.

hope it resolves quickly for you... well, I guess we are past "quickly"... hope it resolves soon.
So it was damage to the starboard elevator (C172) and the good news is that neither the rib, nor the spar was damaged, just the end cap and skin. The A&P thought he could get it turned around in about 2 weeks when I took it in 9 days ago (boy, those 9 days feel like an eternity!) Even with that "good" news, the repair is still over $2500! Glad I'm in a club and not on the hook for a repair like that myself!

I got to fly today only for about an hour. Got in some landings and just knocked off some dust but this has been bugging me.

It just seems sloppy. The landings were OK. On centerline. On speed etc.

The other flying seemed sloppy. Level off at 2300. Uh. I’m at 2400. Hold 180. Now I’m 170.

Made a mistake coming into 10C today (uncontrolled airport near me). Got down to TPA before I IDd the airport. I almost flew into the upwind-departure leg before I spotted the airport. WTF?!!! There was a student in the pattern. Dumb.

I’m not sure I’m sharp anymore, and not quite sure how to fix it. Solo? With a CFI? Pursue the IR knowing I can’t fly more than 1x a week at best (and that’s probably hopeful with work)? What standards should I have or just take a pause until the kids are grown.

Jim K’s experience with his family on board has me freaked out. He owns his own bird and is way more proficient than me. Not sure I could have handled the stress with oil on the windscreen.

Mechanics of flight in normal conditions in a 180hp 4-seater. I’m good.

What about emergencies, unusual situations and curve balls? When it matters? I don’t know.

Last edited:
I got to fly today only for about an hour. Got in some landings and just knocked off some dust but this has been bugging me.

It just seems sloppy. The landings were OK. On centerline. On speed etc.

The other flying seemed sloppy. Level off at 2300. Uh. I’m at 2400. Hold 180. Now I’m 170.

Made a mistake coming into 10C today (uncontrolled airport near me). Got down to TPA before I IDd the airport. I almost flew into the upwind-departure leg before I spotted the airport. WTF?!!! There was a student in the pattern. Dumb.

I’m not sure I’m sharp anymore, and not quite sure how to fix it. Solo? With a CFI? Pursue the IR knowing I can’t fly more than 1x a week at best (and that’s probably hopeful with work)? What standards should I have or just take a pause until the kids are grown.

Jim K’s experience with his family on board has me freaked out. He owns his own bird and is way more proficient than me. Not sure I could have handled the stress with oil on the windscreen.

Mechanics of flight in normal conditions in a 180hp 4-seater. I’m good.

What about emergencies, unusual situations and curve balls? When it matters? I don’t know.
This is a real question, and probably IS worthy of its own thread.

I don't know what the answer is. I probably fly more than average, but if you asked me if I was ready to handle that situation, I would've said no. Problem is every time you strap in you're accepting that possibility.

Starting your IR would get you flying regularly with a cfi, which might increase your confidence and precision, as well as giving you a reason to fly more. Actually getting it done might be secondary.

…I’m not sure I’m sharp anymore, and not quite sure how to fix it….
Sounds like a proficiency vs currency question. Based on what you wrote, it appears your flying was within ACS standards, and we all have an off day.

Chair fly, simulator, flight plan, all those things can help with muscle memory and procedural proficiency freeing you to focus on flying proficiency.

Do you have a plan for every flight to work on proficiency? What’s the standard you’re trying to maintain and is it realistic?

Have you considered something like a WINGS flying module with a CFI to get his feedback.

What I would not do is start working on IRA.

Agree with everyone… it sounds like you could benefit from more flights in general as well as IR. Time with a CFI has always been valuable to me. When you work with one next, ask them for tips to have you fly at commercial standards - that’ll tighten everything right up!

in other news… I completed my commercial day/night dual XC today. Went to Oshkosh… looked super empty…

I replaced the battery in my laptop this evening. I have to fully charge, discharge and charge the battery to calibrate the power management. This would have taken a lot less time with the old battery.

What model?

I replaced the battery in my laptop this evening. I have to fully charge, discharge and charge the battery to calibrate the power management. This would have taken a lot less time with the old battery.
Which I assume is why you bought a new battery

Bought a new car battery / paid extra for the “platinum” version. A week later car was dead - could jump to start but battery would not take a charge.

Took it back to autozone.
AZ guy 1: That can’t be right / something must be wrong
Me: yes, battery is dead
AZ guy 2: Start your car and let me test
Me: Battery is dead - no power - no starting car
AZ guy 2: You’ve got a push to start / they can be tricky sometimes
Me: Battery is dead - no power - no starting car
AZ guy 2: I’m showing no volts but 5 amps
Me: it’s supposed to have 700 CCA
AZ guy 2: leave your car here overnight and we’ll check the battery
Me: No …./&:&:!:;!……….
AZ guy 1: We will replace it

so, you were trying to say that your car wouldn't start?

Anyone else notice how traffic lights have changed and how quickly drivers adapted?

I'm referring to traffic lights having a significant delay between a light turning to red and the crossing street light turning green. A LOT more drivers are running red lights as if they realize that the other cars won't get the green for a couple of seconds after the red.

Anyone else notice how traffic lights have changed and how quickly drivers adapted?

I'm referring to traffic lights having a significant delay between a light turning to red and the crossing street light turning green. A LOT more drivers are running red lights as if they realize that the other cars won't get the green for a couple of seconds after the red.

I don't know that I could drive when lights turned green immediately after the other lights turned red, but the amount of drivers who will just blow through a red light even when the other light has been green for quite a while is also astonishingly high. I'm pretty sure they either are really stupid or think their cars have some sort of impenetrable shield.

And nobody actually stops to turn right on red. Drives me crazy. Pun intended.

And nobody actually stops to turn right on red. Drives me crazy. Pun intended.
I pretty much don't come to full stops unless I have to because of traffic. If I have an unobstructed view of the intersection, and I don't need to full stop, I do rolling stops. Left, right or across. Takes a lot more power, ergo gas, to start up from a dead stop than accelerate out of crawl. I'll probably get a ticket someday, but I've gone many years so far without getting one.

Restaurants don't do reservations for not-all-that-large parties anymore (15 to 20 people)? or just restaurants in the Boston/Nashua/Manchester area?

I guess some of them aren't hurting because of covid anymore.

I pretty much don't come to full stops unless I have to because of traffic. If I have an unobstructed view of the intersection, and I don't need to full stop, I do rolling stops. Left, right or across. Takes a lot more power, ergo gas, to start up from a dead stop than accelerate out of crawl. I'll probably get a ticket someday, but I've gone many years so far without getting one.
Depending on the intersection and your state's laws regarding right turns on red, you could do a right followed by U-turn followed by another right. That should appease your legal conscience.

10 years ago I did my first trip to Shanghai. As “3rd world “as most of China is, they are way ahead of us in traffic light technology! The traffic lights don’t even have a yellow light. Instead they have a digital timer that counts down. So you can see exactly how much time you have before the lights change. I was completely impressed!

10 years ago I did my first trip to Shanghai. As “3rd world “as most of China is, they are way ahead of us in traffic light technology! The traffic lights don’t even have a yellow light. Instead they have a digital timer that counts down. So you can see exactly how much time you have before the lights change. I was completely impressed!

This is how it would be implemented in Atlanta..

tree-ligh-racing.gif

Depending on the intersection and your state's laws regarding right turns on red, you could do a right followed by U-turn followed by another right. That should appease your legal conscience.
Lol. That would be a fun explanation to give a cop who pulled you over to give you a ticket. After getting out of the 72 hour no cause lockup they can do just because you seem crazy, you could beat it in court.

I miss the traffic rules in Germany… no signs - means people to your right have the right of way… no stopping! No stop signs all over the place! You could call it free from bureaucracy!

Another fun fact about running lights… In some major Brazilian cities (like São Paulo), the authorities allow drivers to run through lights at night. This is an attempt to curb car jacking o_O

I miss the traffic rules in Germany… no signs - means people to your right have the right of way… no stopping! No stop signs all over the place! You could call it free from bureaucracy!

Another fun fact about running lights… In some major Brazilian cities (like São Paulo), the authorities allow drivers to run through lights at night. This is an attempt to curb car jacking o_O

:) That was a suggestion from a city cop in Troy NY to a friend of mine years ago. No joke at all, his words to her were "What? You don't stop all the way at red light lights in Troy at 2am!"

Why not just rig the lights to flash yellow at night?

This is called the Motherclucker chicken sandwich, a big thick tender juicy fried chicken breast with bacon and cheese. It was mothercluckin good!

Capture.JPG
HKWW1917.JPG
LGZY6673.JPG

Trying to stay out of the clouds?

Didja have a reason to need it? Or was it just for fun?

Was trying to stay out of the ice. Filed for 6k and the clouds were varying throughout southern IL between 7k and 4k. I got a block altitude of 4 to 6 so I could keep out of the ice.

Back