The MyFlightBook thread

Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by AggieMike88, Mar 17, 2016.

1. EricBe

EricBe Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Eric Berman
    I'm afraid there isn't at the moment. I'm just following usual "accounting" practices of showing all of the various subtotals, followed by the "bottom line" at the ... bottom.

2. Salty

Salty Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Salty
    I’m confused why I’m seeing no hours for flight training for a multi engine add-on. I’m guessing you are interpreting 61.109b to say that the 20 hours instruction must be in a multi engine aircraft, and I don’t think it means that.

I think the reference to 61.107(b) is only relevant to the 10 hours of solo.

3. EricBe

Display Name:

Display name:
    Eric Berman
    So there are two pieces here. The first is whether the 20 hours of training must be in a multi-engine aircraft. Subject to the disclaimer that follows: I believe the answer to that is "yes, it does", because it must be done in accordance with 61.107(b)(2), which requires multi-engine. The promised disclaimer: I can't offer legal advice, so don't treat my previous statement as such. BUT...here is a legal interpretation from the FAA that is the source of my interpretation and my implementation.

The second piece is you refer to the multi-engine "add-on". I do NOT currently implement ratings progress for add-ons. There are all sorts of substitutions/credits/so-forth involved with add-ons that effectively credit here. My ratings progress pages are "ab initio" - i.e., what it takes to get there from the start. That said, per 61.63, it appears (on my reading - repeat disclaimer above) that there are no specific training minimums required, just appropriate sign-off's for most category/class or type add-ons. So I would generally ignore the Ratings Progress screen for all but your first rating.

denverpilot likes this.
  4. Salty

Salty Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Salty
    Makes sense. Thanks.

5. RussR

RussR Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Russ
    Correct. There are no minimum required training times, or experience times, for someone adding a category/class rating to an existing level of pilot certificate (i.e. an "add-on rating"). There is nothing to track because there is nothing required. Such ratings fall under 61.63, not 61.107/109 or 61.127/129.

6. Zartom

Zartom Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    PIXIP
    Hey! Thank you for all the hard work
    I was wondering - I noticed an airport that isn't really one. On the website, it says "Add\Edit airport" under Airports. But I don't see any editing options, only adding.

7. EricBe

Display Name:

Display name:
    Eric Berman
    Hi, Tom. Note that I’m traveling and will be very slow to respond to anything over the next few weeks (little internet)

you can only edit airports that you’ve added, if it’s “built in” or created by another user, you can’t edit. Note also that I keep old airport codes around as long as possible because you may have logged a flight to it 20 years ago, even though it closed and became a housing development 10 years ago.

feel free to contact me about any actual discrepancies (location, spelling, reassigned code, etc.); I can handle that (but likely not until I’m home again in mid July)

8. Zartom

Zartom Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    PIXIP
    Cool thanks
    Is there any public issue tracker or suggestions mechanism to submit ideas or bugs?

9. EricBe

Display Name:

Display name:
    Eric Berman