The “what I did during quarantine” thread

Mostly work. Biggest changes are I don't commute daily and I don't see others when they are in the office (they are 100% remote now too).

We have had work done on our home, most of it at the beginning of this mess before the "shelter at home" policies came out.

Had some crown molding removed to give more space above the bed's headboard for a painting we bought. Then I put in a switch (dimmer) and track lights for the painting, had the drywall patched up and painted the wall

Painters came to do some rework; under builder warranty. The biggest part was the front door and the Julienne doors off the dining area. They were not primed properly and the paint was bubbling. We had them redo it before we moved in, but the second job wasn't any better than the first. This crew did a great job. Stripped it down, applied primer and then repainted. So far it's looking great. We stayed up on the fourth floor while they did that work, largely due to the smell of the chemical stripper as well as the primer and paint. They wore masks, largely for the chemicals; these were big painter masks.

Some remodeling work on the master bath. It had a garden tub in it. My wife and I don't use that, so we had it removed for more space. Added an outlet for the small TV; my wife likes to watch the news in the morning as we get ready. Drywall and flooring-tile work where the tub was removed. Cabinets are being built and will be installed sometime soon. We already bought a new bench, assembled it and put it in there.

We had a underdeck ceiling put in. It's under the deck off the master bedroom, creating a ceiling on the deck off the main floor. They also installed a ceiling fan with a light. They never entered the house. They entered the deck from the outside. Just put up ladders and climbed up.

Completely changed the shelving in both master bedroom closets. My wife's closet was long and narrow and had shelves for hanging clothes on both sides, which only left 5" between the clothes. o_O Plus a couple of shelves in a nook at the end. I stacked the shelves, one above the other. Replaced the upper shelf with a 16" instead of 12" for more storage on top. The lower shelf was shorter which gave her space to hang dresses from the top shelf. Then put in adjustable shelves in the nook for her shoes. There are now 7 shelves in the nook instead of 2, plus they are flat boards instead of the wire shelves, making in easier to put shoes with small heels on them; not that she has many of those.

I did a similar thing with my closet, but two 16" shelves as they are shorter, so I got two sections from the 144" shelf. I currently have 4 shelves in the nook, but will get a 5th board; I thought we had one remaining from the work on my wife's closet, but we had used all of them. I'm using the adjustable shelves for running/triathlon gear, other t-shirts and hats. I still need to figure out what to do with my shoes, but I have a much smaller collection.​

We recently did several other projects, but I think those were done just before this mess all started.

Working from home. And setting up so my daughter could work from home (she teaches dance so our living room has become a dance studio for virtual classes 4 days a week).

And we had the kitchen completely torn out, a wall removed to open it up and they are working to put it back together. Also, because that's not enough, we're having the master bath done starting next week. All this seemed like a better idea back in November when we contracted it...

So far, I haven't gotten to any of the honey-do list, nor any of my projects that I was going to do during the down time.

John

Well, my wife finally had to go back to work. She got the all clear from the doc. Her company is fortunate enough to still be flying a good bit, so it's good that she has the opportunity to remain employed and bring in revenue for the company as essential infrastructure.

But this leaves me as solo with the kids... and the day job. So productivity will go down, but the weather is supposed to be mostly nice.

Seems like I'm dong right now with my free time this week is paying shipping and receiving...it sucks

Working From Home. Walking the dog. Long walks for me. Cleaning and reorganizing the garage. Spending AMUs on my 81 SE Trans Am: had a shop finish installing the Vintage AC, new plugs, spark plug wires, and distributor cap, too. Finished moving from Win 7 to Win 10. Installed FSX:SE on Win 10, found an easy fix to keep FSX:SE rewards visible when Downloadable Content is installed, replaced SPAD/FSUIPC (32 bit) with SPAD.Next (64 bit) as I also installed Prepar3d V4 which is their first 64 bit simulator. Did a lot of mostly unproductive foraging runs to the local Safeway. Continuing my quest to simulate flying to and landing at every airport and field in the world. Currently enroute to French Polynesia and talking with Tahiti Center.

My wife is in outside sales so she always WFH and the time together is helping our marriage.

Silver has antimicrobial characteristics. People used to put a silver dollar in a pitcher of milk to keep it useable longer. The old phrase born with a silver spoon in her mouth had a meaning of a better chance at life. Christening cups given as gifts to newborns for their use were also silver. They may not have known why but empirically could tell the advantage. Hold on to the sterling, it will become more valuable soon.

I just pulled a 50+ hour week in a 4 day week. Life really sucks right now. Eat, sleep, bow to corporate.

Remote is harder. Everything is a phone call, teleconference or meeting now. I took for granted how much I got done in "management by walking around" it seems 50+ hours is the normal work week anymore.

Remote is harder. Everything is a phone call, teleconference or meeting now. I took for granted how much I got done in "management by walking around" it seems 50+ hours is the normal work week anymore.

There’s a lot to that. I feel that management is having a harder time of this than the workers. My job mostly involves talking to customers who aren’t local so it was largely phone/email anyway. But the managers who used to be able to walk a couple offices down to talk to any of the people they needed to I think are having a harder time of it.

There’s a lot to that. I feel that management is having a harder time of this than the workers. My job mostly involves talking to customers who aren’t local so it was largely phone/email anyway. But the managers who used to be able to walk a couple offices down to talk to any of the people they needed to I think are having a harder time of it.

I agree 100%. I manage a team of Software Engineers and we're all remote (even before this 'event' forced everyone else to WFH). I have really struggled with the lack of water cooler talk and the simple interactions you have with folks just walking down the hall or impromptu "Hey.. I've got a quick question" stuff that isn't quite as fluid on any type of e-communication. We have Slack, Teams, Ringcentral, etc. but nothing beats face-to-face "Hey man.. Just wanted to check in after that call we had with the customer. Does that make sense to you?" kind of stuff. Not to mention the team effect of "hey.. saw you got a new car.." or "whoa.. you're fried - spend all weekend on the lake!?"

We had an online town hall the other day. Our CEO stated he never liked remote work but had to admit he had been wrong about it. Our company is doing it well.

On the other hand, I wish all our newbie remote workers would figure it out or get them all back to the office. My workload has blown up helping the new remote workers.

An example - yesterday on a client ticket resolution of "New client install cannot connect to the database", I hosted a zoom session where the client had to hop from his home machine to an office machine and then to one of their new home worker's machine, where they had installed our software and database tools and connectors. Straightened out their connection identification mess, and then ran a connection test. ... > 250000 msec latency and a 24 hop trace route...

"uh, yeah ... that's not going to work for you."

Their "working example client" in another worker's home came back with ~325 msec latency and 9 hop trace route. Turns out their working example is in metro Denver and their new, non-working client is in rural South Dakota.

Sorry, not much I can help you with there.

Last edited:

+100

And when we're all in plant if somebody isn't in their office I can usually track them down if necessary. Now people are away because they're having to take care of a kid who can't go to school or daycare and I can't reach them.

Not to mention that communication just isn't as good when you take away body language and facial expressions. We're doing everything by skype right now and I spent 7 hours in a skype meeting yesterday. Inevitable drop-outs and lockups didn't help.

We're making it work, but I'll be glad when we're back in our facility.

WORK is a four letter word. Like you, we are retired, too. My mom is 93 and her retirement place now says "No Visitors", so we won't drive across the state to see her. Missed her birthday last week because of that.

Keeping an eye on UA and Mexico. We have a reservation the first week of May in Puerto Vallarta. Sure hope that doesn't get scratched.

Well, an update to this post from last month. UA kept messing around with the routing and schedule, my brother was worried about how long this stuff was going to last and our governor extended his "shelter in place" or whatever you want to call it order through the end of May, so we cancelled the trip to Mexico. Rats, I was looking forward to it.

My wife just finished a batch of masks for our son and his family. We'll drive them down later today and leave them on the front porch. She already made a batch for our daughter and her family and those were mailed down to Vancouver last Friday. We've been working in the yard, trimming tree branches and other things. I'm glad the yard waste bin got picked up this morning. It will be full again the next time it gets emptied in a couple weeks.

Oh, and I went flying yesterday. That was a Charlie Foxtrot. I had one of the club's 172s reserved, but got a call from another member saying that he couldn't get it to start. So, I cancelled it and reserved the 182. Got to the airport and someone was working on the 172 to figure out what the problem was, we've only replaced a number of items on that engine recently. I pre-flighted the 182, hopped in and taxied out to the run-up area at the end of the runway (properly making all contact with the tower, of course). During run-up the vacuum gauge (labeled "suction" on a 182) only showed about 3 psi, significantly below the green arc on the gauge. Called the tower and told them I needed to go back to the hangar. The member working on the 172 said that he had flown the 182 the day before and that in spite of the gauge (misadjusted according to him) the vacuum instruments worked fine. OK, maybe for you, it's grounding for me. In the meantime, he showed that the engine on the 172 would start just fine, so I called the reservation number, cancelled the 182 and re-reserved the 172. I finally got some T&Gs and air work done. 0.2 hours on the 182 and 1.3 hours on the 172. Now to figure out why FlightAware thinks all those trips around the pattern didn't include the runway at KOLM, but were offset to the east. Or I can ignore their error (which I most likely will do). In any case, it was nice to practice social distancing by keeping well above the rest of the people on the ground. :p

I just pulled a 50+ hour week in a 4 day week. Life really sucks right now. Eat, sleep, bow to corporate.

Yesterday (Good Friday) was my first day off in 2 weeks, mostly working 11-12hr days. I’ve been putting in more hours during quarantine than I did before, even counting commute time. Corporate overlords indeed (and spineless upper management who won’t push back against absurd deadlines).

Yesterday (Good Friday) was my first day off in 2 weeks, mostly working 11-12hr days. I’ve been putting in more hours during quarantine than I did before, even counting commute time. Corporate overlords indeed (and spineless upper management who won’t push back against absurd deadlines).

Why should they push back if you’re willing to work 12 hour days?

You young'ns. Fast cars and fast planes! LOL
Hey now! I know the GTI looks fast, but I promise you, it’s just a turbo’d four-banger under the hood. :)

Hey now! I know the GTI looks fast, but I promise you, it’s just a turbo’d four-banger under the hood. :)

Don’t worry, Ryan, I don’t think you’re in danger of anyone confusing the GTI for a fast car. ;)

It was nice to fly this morning, it was good to golf this afternoon. If I have sex tonight it is going to be a great day.

I got “buzzed” by my own airplane today.

Well 1000 AGL and 120 knots.

Was fun to watch it go over. Sound of the ol’ O-470 wide open with no other sounds was nice, too.

Also drove into the rat colony and picked up a prescription at the drive thru. Most excitement in a month.

Technically an unnecessary risk since the nurse of the house would have done it, but I’ll take my chances...

Might patch the NAS tonight for work. There’s a minor security patch out that nobody is reporting any detrimental effects from.

Depends. I mange teams that before this worked from home three days a week. Some work 100% remote. Some work at offices in other states or countries.

I was in the office 100%, just as it worked well. I have a short commute and being there everyday makes it easier for people to stop by and talk to me in person. Some conversations are just better in-person than on the phone. Human nature.

I’m used to working with people on conf calls and by email. It just seems really weird to be at home all day, every day.

We drove from Atlanta to Columbia, SC and back yesterday. We helped our daughter move out of her apartment. She is a senior at the University of South Carolina. She was living off campus, so not kicked out by the university. One roommate was partially out, staying at a family member’s lake home. Her other roommate left for her parents home yesterday morning, which meant she’d then be by herself, so she decided to move here.

It was easy as she was packed up quite well. She took some boxes with her when she left here weeks ago after their Spring Break. The traffic was light making the drive easy. Still surprising how much traffic with “shelter at home” policies in place.

She has a job lined up that starts in mid June.

I agree 100%. I manage a team of Software Engineers and we're all remote (even before this 'event' forced everyone else to WFH). I have really struggled with the lack of water cooler talk and the simple interactions you have with folks just walking down the hall or impromptu "Hey.. I've got a quick question" stuff that isn't quite as fluid on any type of e-communication. We have Slack, Teams, Ringcentral, etc. but nothing beats face-to-face "Hey man.. Just wanted to check in after that call we had with the customer. Does that make sense to you?" kind of stuff. Not to mention the team effect of "hey.. saw you got a new car.." or "whoa.. you're fried - spend all weekend on the lake!?"
I’ve asked a couple people to call me, rather than email/slack. There are topics and issues that really need more depth and details.

I’ve asked a couple people to call me, rather than email/slack. There are topics and issues that really need more depth and details.

I’ve noticed our youngsters who would never call even if the server room was on fire, they’d text, suddenly have learned how to dial and speak. LOL.

Might patch the NAS tonight for work. There’s a minor security patch out that nobody is reporting any detrimental effects from.
What NAS are you running? I’m living on borrowed time with my time capsule and external drive(s) as home backups, and couple that with my son loosing all of his church presentation from a failed external on Friday (he was able to reshoot all the footage and re-edit in time for this morning’s service) makes implementing a true NAS and better backups here.
I don’t see many of the “best of” reviews for home advocating hot swappable drives for failure recovery. Is that still a thing? RAID 5 for hot swappable?
Bring me into the current hardware age?

Last edited:
I’ve noticed our youngsters who would never call even if the server room was on fire, they’d text, suddenly have learned how to dial and speak. LOL.
Fortunately, most of the folks I work with are "of an age" that we're comfortable and fluent with current technology, but are very happy with phone calls.

What NAS are you running?

You may not believe it but we are running over 100 people on Synology. The silly thing is one of the most rock solid devices and software we’ve ever had and it’s essentially supposed to be “prosumer” grade.

We did outfit it with proper NAS drives and the dual power supply setup and SSD cache and all that, but I would have never guessed it wouldn’t be a minor PITA just because of price point... and I’ve used “proper” commercial NAS and SAN stuff for decades at other companies clear back into the Sun Storage days.

The other thing is, management wise, the goofy thing really has been point and click. Getting it integrated with AD and stuff like that was a total no brainer other than determining group security rules and such.

I really want one for home but I’m just too cheap to do it with weak sauce Internet. But it could have replaced much more manual stuff in my home server running in VMs. Backup software for desktops, etc... just click to install from their free “store”. Stuff like that.

Anyway really solid for the price.

Anybody else catching up on Better Call Saul? Heh. Kinda fascinated how they’ll work their way back to the Breaking Bad era.

Back