The “what I did during quarantine” thread

I think all men and post-menopausal women should grow COVID beards.

Ironically, I've had a beard for over 3 years that I might have to shave off!

I started "upgrading" from my goatee when my son was born. I've had it ever since... But now with this COVID stuff, pretty soon I'm going to be wearing a mask occasionally, and having the beard will make the mask much less effective, so it's gonna have to go.

Yesterday at Tractor Supply as I was walking in a guy was walking out with a black mask on. I wasn’t sure whether to give him a nod or assume he had robbed the place. This is hard.

I just ordered one of these. Less threatening:

https://www.chartitall.com/product-page/sectional-chart-face-mask

dac049_80fd069b47a942ebb6ff268905cb7695~mv2.jpg

We taught our daughter how to drive a manual. Soloed her at the airport before heading out on the road. We got the motorcycle re-insured and plated and are going to teach her that possibly in the next few days when the weather warms back up. I took her out in a Champ and worked on her tailwheel and getting closer to soloing it. Would like to get that done before she goes back to school. I started learning Spanish just because. Caught up on a bunch of house projects, paperwork. Cleaned out the file folders of old bills and things we don't need any more. I've been working on getting into better shape. Lost several pounds over the last couple months, and feel better already. I figured, normally this time of year we are HOPPING. Stuff gets behind. Now, we are...tight...but there are a lot of things I can do that don't cost money and will still make progress in life. So that's what we're doing. :)

Ironically, I've had a beard for over 3 years that I might have to shave off!

I started "upgrading" from my goatee when my son was born. I've had it ever since... But now with this COVID stuff, pretty soon I'm going to be wearing a mask occasionally, and having the beard will make the mask much less effective, so it's gonna have to go.

Nah. It will still provide the same false sense of security that any other cloth mask does, beard or not. It also prevents dirty looks from mental giants like this guy:

idiot-with-mask.jpg

So I wouldn't worry about it.

Rich

Sheltering in place. My happy place.

wHNZcm4.png

For a plane with a drinking problem, cheap Avgas is the only essential service required.

rXDJMpR.png

Since everything I've seen indicates that a mask doesn't actually do a thing unless it's an N95, I'm opting out of that.

Cuomo said we have to wear them in public places, so I bought a cloth one from some seamstress on Etsy. I know it's completely useless, but it's not the first idiotic thing I've done because the idiots running the government told me I had to. Besides, it gives ignorant people around me warm fuzzies. I'd rather they be ignorant and content than ignorant and angry.

Rich

I found my 2-pack of 3M N95s I had at the airport to use while painting. Retrieved same, so we can wear them in stores as our participation in safety theatre. Mandated use now that the number of cases has leaked. Some real geniuses, hey?

Cuomo said we have to wear them in public places, so I bought a cloth one from some seamstress on Etsy. I know it's completely useless, but it's not the first idiotic thing I've done because the idiots running the government told me I had to. Besides, it gives ignorant people around me warm fuzzies. I'd rather they be ignorant and content than ignorant and angry.

We've not been told that we need to do so here (or if we have I missed it) so I'm not bothering. The engineer says don't bother unless it does something tangible, and I'm not going to waste N95 masks that could go towards hospitals that need them.

Nah. It will still provide the same false sense of security that any other cloth mask does, beard or not. It also prevents dirty looks from mental giants like this guy:

Wow. Face. Palm. So many of those lately...

But the trouble with the beard is that if the mask has any effectivity, it'll be negated by the beard AND all of the nasty droplets and particles will then be in the beard. Gross.

Since everything I've seen indicates that a mask doesn't actually do a thing unless it's an N95, I'm opting out of that.

The masks I'm speaking of are going to be KN-95s, which are Chinese N95s that the health care facilities can't use, I think.

As far as other masks, they do diddly to protect you, but they do at least knock down the droplets coming out of your mouth and reduce the size of your personal "cloud". So, they'll at least help the herd a little, and I'm OK with assisting that effort.

Reactions: Ted
The masks I'm speaking of are going to be KN-95s, which are Chinese N95s that the health care facilities can't use, I think.

As far as other masks, they do diddly to protect you, but they do at least knock down the droplets coming out of your mouth and reduce the size of your personal "cloud". So, they'll at least help the herd a little, and I'm OK with assisting that effort.

If you’ve got real N95s that you can use (and specifically that hospitals can’t) then rock on - that’ll do.

I know it doesn’t do anything either, except make other people feel better.

Honestly, I get this, but I cannot help wondering why now, as the infection vector is on the downslope, the new rules are imposed. It is difficult not to conclude that it's a power-grab by public officials. Most frustrating, the breathless announcements of how many deaths occur (and yes,m they matter...), without also noting that (1) the rate of infections is declining, and (2) the deaths inevitably, with mathematical certainty, follow the infections.

Our County Judge (in Texas, the County Judge is the highest county-wide elected office, presides over the Commissioners' Court, and is not actually a "judge" at all) has managed to create unanimity among the Commissioners' Court (all the other elected members of the court) when they convened in special meeting and voted to prevent him from issuing any more orders without a meeting and the affirmative vote of the Commissioners' Court. It must surely be the first unanimous thing they've ever done.

Judge Jenkins is a pure political animal, a plaintiffs' lawyer who knows less than nothing about how small business operates, has not the faintest clue of the damage his orders is imposing upon the employers the orders affect.

The damage being inflicted by the response to the CV19 will, ultimately, be much worse than the disease itself - in fact, already is.

I hate making other people feel better.

And my people skills are just fine, btw; it's my idiot skills that aren't so hot.
In that case, I’m surrounded by idiots. I’m not speaking about the government. People I know harass others to wear masks. I’ve also been accused of having no empathy for people who decide on their own to stay inside. Just because they decide not to go out doesn’t mean I need to follow their lead.

Last edited:
I've been wearing a mask around the apartments when I do emergency maintenance since schools closed over a month ago. A lot of our residents are vulnerable.

I wore one to the grocery store yesterday, for the first time. I, too, did it to make people less terrified of my unmasked face.

Last time I was in a grocery store without a mask I was looking at cereal or something. A woman was walking behind me. I turned around to go back down the isle because I missed the cereal I meant to buy. This woman acted like I turned around with a machete, bout to hack her to bits. She jumped back, the look uncertainty of what to do was in her eyes. Should she retreat the other way, throw pop tarts at the unmasked man, what?

Honestly, I get this, but I cannot help wondering why now, as the infection vector is on the downslope, the new rules are imposed. It is difficult not to conclude that it's a power-grab by public officials. Most frustrating, the breathless announcements of how many deaths occur (and yes,m they matter...), without also noting that (1) the rate of infections is declining, and (2) the deaths inevitably, with mathematical certainty, follow the infections.

Our County Judge (in Texas, the County Judge is the highest county-wide elected office, presides over the Commissioners' Court, and is not actually a "judge" at all) has managed to create unanimity among the Commissioners' Court (all the other elected members of the court) when they convened in special meeting and voted to prevent him from issuing any more orders without a meeting and the affirmative vote of the Commissioners' Court. It must surely be the first unanimous thing they've ever done.

Judge Jenkins is a pure political animal, a plaintiffs' lawyer who knows less than nothing about how small business operates, has not the faintest clue of the damage his orders is imposing upon the employers the orders affect.

The damage being inflicted by the response to the CV19 will, ultimately, be much worse than the disease itself - in fact, already is.
You quoted my post in order to bring up politics. ;)

I've been wearing a mask around the apartments when I do emergency maintenance since schools closed over a month ago. A lot of our residents are vulnerable.

I wore one to the grocery store yesterday, for the first time. I, too, did it to make people less terrified of my unmasked face.

Last time I was in a grocery store without a mask I was looking at cereal or something. A woman was walking behind me. I turned around to go back down the isle because I missed the cereal I meant to buy. This woman acted like I turned around with a machete, bout to hack her to bits. She jumped back, the look uncertainty of what to do was in her eyes. Should she retreat the other way, throw pop tarts at the unmasked man, what?
I still haven’t worn a mask inside the lobby, stairwell, and elevator of the 9-unit condo where I live, although I’ve seen others wearing them.

I'm still able to rent a plane during this mess, so I wish I could go flying today. But of course, the weather looks like crap and thunderstorms are forecast for the afternoon. After a week of being stuck in the house telecommuting, it looks like I'll be stuck indoors by weather for the weekend.

Still, maybe I'll talk SWMBO into a drive, even if it's in the rain. I'm going stir crazy.

I had conversated this morning with a Sheriff's Deputy. The Sheriff's department has been hanging out at the local Bel Air shopping center shortly after the lockdowns started. It turns out though that coronavirus has absolutely nothing to do with their presence. Apparently Raley's/Bel Air hired the Sheriff's department to do off duty security for theft prevention, as they were losing so much to grab and runs by people that knew the staff couldn't lift a finger to stop them. She told me that just last week they caught a serial thief trying to leave the store with about $2,500 in filet mignons and salmon.

Oh, and #ted_dupuis #igotboredatworkandgrabbedmycalculator

It's a social experiment to find out how much ******** people will tolerate before they rebel.

Rich

Hey, does anyone else's wife talk too much? :D

More worried when she gets really quiet. LOL.

Today so far... fresh made hash browns with eggs and sausage as brunch and... um... nothing yet.

Talking with family and awaiting the Front Range T-Birds fly over. See whether we can see them out here. Not going to bother driving anywhere to see them, since it’s not the Blues. Haha!

I have some more work paperwork to do later. Exciting, I know. I get to copy some stuff from a PDF to a Word form. Pages of that.

Snow melted. That’s probably the last one. Straight from snow to mud to hard in about six hours.

Ran more dishes. The 80s vintage dishwasher we were thinking about replacing right before this but put off for my medical trip, really could use a replacement but it keeps chugging along. Running it mow when home or not asleep really highlights how loud it is.

The clothes dryer has something odd going on with the humidity sensor too. Using timed mode is fine so... something to troubleshoot. I replaced the bearing on it a couple years ago end it has a new noise which is a bit too soon. When I open it up I’ll see if that new bearing had some sort of defect or got contaminated somehow. Odd.

Hey, does anyone else's wife talk too much? :D

LOL - no comment! :)

I've also discovered a reason why I never grew a beard - there's a lot more gray in this stubble than there should be!

The problem is, what needs to be done can't even be discussed in public.

Back