The “what I did during quarantine” thread

I tore down one of the old outbuildings to prepare for the new shop:

That is probably what will happen to it. We started selling off some of the pices of old family furniture that didn't go with our decor, we didn't want, mom didn't want, and nobody else wanted in the family. At a certain point, you have to realize that you can't hold on to everything just because it belonged to a family member.

I'm 79 , Parents both passed .
Dad first then Mother 15 years later. They married in 1932 , Dad was a small farmer who's dad went broke in the Homestead era . He inherited a 320 acre farm from a bachelor Uncle that he had worked for for 9 years. We lived in a what had been once a dirt floored one room shack.

When dad married , mother refused to move in with the Uncle and the dirt floor. They tore down other abandoned homestead houses for building material to build a wood floor and add 2 lean twos for 2 bedrooms . And settled in to farm. The war years brought prosperity and more lean twos were were added .
No electricity or running water .
After WWII Dad bought a J-5 Piper from a neighboring farmer who upgraded to a Cessna 140 .

After 2 years mother decided if dad could afford a Airplane , they could afford a house in town . No more driving kids to school , running water with a hot water tank. Natural Gas Heat , A lawn , flush toilets , green grass lawn , 2 story house with white picket fence. Trees , did I mention trees . None out on the prairie homestead that lived love enough to provide shade. That's when the nice furniture , (no more home made stuff) matching bedroom sets , actual coffee tables , silver ware , Place setting for 12 , good china came. Also when the plane left .
New Packard's were the cars , Life hit the Good time . But no plane. Dad stayed current with his license till he was nearly 80. Rented or flew with other "Flying Farmers" .
As kids we loved the J-5 . Dad would fly us off to a different county for dental appointments.

Now at nearly 80 I bought a Cessna 172. I do hope to give some Great Grandkids the love of Flying my Father passed to me.

Anyway that Generation of People had the silver , the fancy china , Nice homes . Different times for sure.

Anyway that Generation of People had the silver , the fancy china , Nice homes . Different times for sure.

100% true. I'm not sure what our kids will keep. We'll have a few possessions we hold on to, but fine china won't be much of it. It'll be big vehicular toys that we enjoy using.

That's right, this was the thread where I asked about the silver items. Coincidentally I put 10 silverplate items and one set of sterling serving spoons on the neighborhood Buy Nothing group. All gone in a day! Mostly taken by younger (30s?) folk. I would have done it sooner except there was the admonishment to only offer 'essential' stuff, and these items were in no way essential! But things have relaxed with that group, and it was time. Still contemplating what to do with the sterling.

Back