TGIFS Thank God its Football Season

Well the chefs are undefeated so far...
Yeah...so far. Eric Berry blowing out his Achilles in the first game of the season isn't going to help.

But hey, they are the only team in the NFL with a perfect W-L record.

Yeah...so far. Eric Berry blowing out his Achilles in the first game of the season isn't going to help.

But hey, they are the only team in the NFL with a perfect W-L record.
It was funny how the cheaters defense fell apart when Hightower went down but the chefs didn't seem to miss Berry that much.

... the chefs didn't seem to miss Berry that much.

"Next man up" mentality.

But it's going to be a long season without him. MRI today, but from the word on the radio this morning, it's probably just a formality to a lost season for him.

Alex Smith seems like a whole new QB since they picked up Mahomes, though.

"Next man up" mentality.

But it's going to be a long season without him. MRI today, but from the word on the radio this morning, it's probably just a formality to a lost season for him.

Alex Smith seems like a whole new QB since they picked up Mahomes, though.
All the teams proclaim the "next man up" crap. To make it work the GM has to get the talent on board early and the coaching staff has to work all the players so the backups know their roles. Big fail for the cheaters bringing in new players a week or two before the start of the season so they didn't have time to learn.

Just curious who is everyone's favorite football team. I am assuming the majority of folks on this site are Cowboy fans since it seems like a very intelligent group of folks frequent this site. But just wanted to do a quick poll to confirm.

Green Bay Packers, the NFL's flagship franchise.

Remembering the World of 1950's Football

Football was a slightly different game in the 1950's. Television exposure was extremely limited, and fans relied on the College Football Scoreboard show or the Sunday newspaper to learn about what happened around the country. The television program had zero film of the day's action. Instead, you could only look at the commentator for thirty minutes, while he read brief game summaries from the wire services.

Back in those days, college football rules were radically different from today, and seem downright bizarre in retrospect. For instance, all players were on both offense and defense line-ups. If he came out of the game, he wasn't allowed to return until there were four minutes or less to go in the half.
This led to some pretty weird strategy at times. If the game was 14-13 with four minutes and ten seconds to go, and the trailing team was in field goal position but their kicker was out of the game, the defense would call time out to keep him on the sidelines. In another scenario, a team down by three points, they would intentionally run a play that would NOT score, in order for the four-minute mark to pass when the kicker could return to the game.
A second rule that seems crazy in today's world of big business, was applied to post-season play. If your team played in a bowl game in 1954, you were banned from any bowl game in 1955. They believed that it was "more fair" for the other teams in the league, giving everyone a chance to play. It effectively prevented anyone from building a dynasty, becoming dominant, and "win" the sport's highest honors consistently. Who'd want that?

Bowl games back then, were supposed to be festive occasions. The actual competition was secondary in importance. Believe it or not, for a time in the 1950's, the national champion was selected Before the bowl games in the spirit of fair play (or something modern football fans can't fathom). Oklahoma won the national championship in 1950, even though they lost their bowl game. Three years later they didn't win the national championship even though they defeated the national champion in a bowl game. It was illogical and nonsensical.

Another rule that changed, concerned the injury time-out. In the 1950's the clock was stopped for any injury, offense or defense, regardless of the situation in the game. In the most famous abuse of this rule, Notre Dame was knocking on the touchdown door against Iowa, while they were out of time-outs and out of time. Knowing that his team couldn't set up for one more play before the half ended. So, a Notre Dame player went sprawling on the ground, writhing in "pain." The clock was stopped, the player was helped off the field, and Notre Dame ran the final play of the half for a touchdown. He then came back and played the entire second half. A remarkable recovery! They also scored on the final play of the game for a memorable 14-14 tie. Why go for a tie? There was no other option in those days, as the two-point conversion didn't come into existence until later.
Pro football was slightly different, too.

You might remember that for years, the goal posts were right on the goal line, and Lou "The Toe" Groza would split them with regularity when he kicked off for the Cleveland Browns. It also was fairly common to see an end running a crossing pattern and...WHAM!...right into the goal posts.

The game clock was the ultimate in inefficiency. Time was kept on the field, and the scoreboard clock was unofficial. More than once, a team would be on the two-yard line, barking out a play with a seemingly safe 30 seconds to go on the scoreboard clock, when the gun would sound, ending the half (or the game). The quarterback would throw the ball on the ground in disgust and the announcers would comment for the millionth time, that something needed to be done about that problem.

A professional exhibition game was played in my hometown of Norman, Oklahoma, in the 1950's between the Detroit Lions and the New York Giants. A group of kids, myself included, hung-out during the practices, bugging the players for autographs. I remember one time, when a player was sitting on a rolled-up tarp underneath the stadium and I asked him for his autograph. The signature looked like Mmmm Tunnnl. It was, of course, the great Hall of Famer, Emlen Tunnell, who played for the Packers and Giants, appeared in nine Pro Bowls and was named NFL's all time leading safety in 1969. I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't even know who he was at the time, because he didn't play in the backfield.

Another event that happened to our little pack of autographs hounds, was written up in the local newspaper. One of us (no, it wasn't me) went up to a strapping young man as he exited the locker rooms. He was asked to sign, and he did so obligingly. He then walked to his laundry truck, got in, and drove off, much to our embarrassment.
Ah yes, times have changed...

Bruce Amspacher has been a professional writer since the 1950s and a professional numismatist since the 1960s. He won the OIPA sportswriting award in 1958 and again in 1959, then spent eight years in college studying American Literature. This background somehow led him to become a professional numismatist in 1968. Since then he has published hundreds of articles on rare coins in dozens of publications as well as publishing his own newsletter, the “Bruce Amspacher Investment Report,” for more than a decade. His areas of expertise include Liberty Seated dollars, Morgan and Peace dollars, United States gold coins, sports trivia, Western history, modern literature and the poetry of Emily Dickinson. In 1986 he was a co-founder of the Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS).

A bit early, there are still 31 undefeated teams.
But the Patriots ain't one.

Funny, a few yrs ago it was the Chiefs that were 9-0 and starting to raise a few eyebrows before they lost 5 of their next 7.

Obviously the Saints, and all their troubles, are closest to my heart, but I don't really root for any particular team. I do however root against certain ones... like the Patriots. Last night was a good night :D
Ain't the Pats yer home team??? You ain't assimilating very well up there

Heh - last night I got together with the guys on the BBQ team to figure out some details for our next contest in a couple weeks. One of the guys (about 30) was wearing his Tom Brady t-shirt. Not a Patriots Brady jersey, a t-shirt with Brady's picture on it. This guy has a real man-crush. He said, "I don't like the Patriots, but I do like Tom Brady." Then one of the other, older guys, said, "Is that why you cut your hair like that?" We laughed.

Heh - last night I got together with the guys on the BBQ team to figure out some details for our next contest in a couple weeks. One of the guys (about 30) was wearing his Tom Brady t-shirt. Not a Patriots Brady jersey, a t-shirt with Brady's picture on it. This guy has a real man-crush. He said, "I don't like the Patriots, but I do like Tom Brady." Then one of the other, older guys, said, "Is that why you cut your hair like that?" We laughed.

BBQ team! I'm a bigger fan of those than football teams. Better use of a pig by far.

As to the guy in the shirt, all I can say is WTF?! Last t-shirt I wore with another person's picture or name on it was Pat Benatar back in the late 1970s. Today I look back and even consider that a little lame.

That Johnny Unitas had a real mans haircut. Not like that Joe Namath and his sideburns and pantyhose....

That Johnny Unitas had a real mans haircut. Not like that Joe Namath and his sideburns and pantyhose....

Hey now! Don't be slamming Joe Willie. Wonder if he evacuated, lives somewhere in South FL. Probably up in AL for the game Saturday.

BBQ team! I'm a bigger fan of those than football teams. Better use of a pig by far.

As to the guy in the shirt, all I can say is WTF?! Last t-shirt I wore with another person's picture or name on it was Pat Benatar back in the late 1970s. Today I look back and even consider that a little lame.

Uh oh. I had one on yesterday with Ronnie Van Zant's pic on it. So I'm lame? Aww man.

Home team is the Saints. The Patriots would be Ok if it wasn't for Bralichick.
FTFY. Either one is bad, the combo is worse. Add in MickyDaniels and they all should be banished to the WNBA or something.

Everyone loves to hate a winner. Thing about Brady is the protection his O-line has always given him all these years.

Eh Packers were more exciting when Favre played there. Go Packers!

Yep. I miss called that one. But it's easy to talk smack after the fact.

Oh I talk smack about NE all the time, they are like Alabama...they win so much people don't care about them. I was truly shocked at the outcome though. My coworker is die hard NE and I was surprised he came in today. But like what has been said they will rebound, its only one game. I can only hope that the Cowboys can finally beat the Giants this week.

Alright, that's it. I'm calling DG and order a hit on your arse! :nono: :raspberry:
Oh man don't do that, he is heartless and wont take mercy on me! hahaha If its any consolation I flew 2 left 360's and 2 right 360's over Byrant-Denny stadium today at 11ft for my ADS-B certification. That has to stand for something, no? I mean I could have circled anywhere but chose there.

Everyone loves to hate a winner. Thing about Brady is the protection his O-line has always given him all these years.

Those guys are big. KC generally rushed 3, then zoned to discourage most short passes.

Comments from the local KC sports radio guys this morning, "After last night, the formula for beating NE is going to be 'Drop 8 guys into zone, and if anybody tries catching those underneath passes they get cut in half.'"

Hahaha i assure you it's today..ive got the fuel bill to prove it. Plan today was KMEI for a waffle run but hey might as well do my ads-b certification flight. I need to get above 10k and I'm surrounded by MOA's so stf to ldk down to mei...and normally 50 mile trip turned into a 158 miles. But hey I got free waffles, pizza, and 500 bucks. Good day if you ask me. Hahaha

Plus the file name has today's date. And no I didn't edit it.

Sure you didn't. Too late anyway, got thru to Dave so enjoy your last weekend bud! You sleep with the fishes.

Here's your why.

E778SAI00aRidgxvO0MysyoD1VKKBaechBWnsD49oQo.jpg
Alabama-Meme-13.jpg

Everyone loves to hate cheaters. Thing about Brady is the protection his Law team failed to give him last year.

Eh Packers were more exciting when Favre played there. Go Packers!

FTFY

Ever since "Debbie does Dallas", I have been a confirmed Cowboy fan!

OK the patriots are in second place,want to give the other teams a chance. The boys need a good deal of work.

Back