Tesla Pickup Unveil

212 Miles while towing a 65oolb (I believe that was the weight) large trailer. You might want to rethink the comment on truck EVs

Tim
Now do that same test in Feb, in Yorkton Canada
Still stand by my comment that they currently can not and are not used in farming.
On my current F150 driving highway speed not towing I can go over 700 miles before refueling, can’t do that in an EV.

My dad farmed over 40 years and counting newest pickup ever owned is a 1989 Cummins powered one. It was already 10 years old when it joined our family.

While those aren't the worst numbers in the world, I would barely be able to tow my boat to the lake and back at that rate. …

Can’t wait for the first boat ramp rail where somebody submerges their cybertruck like what happened here.

Now do that same test in Feb, in Yorkton Canada

My dad farmed over 40 years and counting newest pickup ever owned is a 1989 Cummins powered one. It was already 10 years old when it joined our family.
Exactly. They picked a perfect day for this test. Winter time, they’d be looking at maybe 160-170 miles range. ICE range is twice that. And, just like the driver said, there’s a 30-45 minute wait to charge where as the other guy took 30 secs. Huge difference when taking a trip.

I would barely be able to tow my boat to the lake and back at that rate. Not a ton of places to grab a charge at the boat ramps
Destination chargers are popping up all over as they are inexpensive to install and can generate revenue for the businesses that have them. With more EV trucks coming out, the demand will be there. Check www.plugshare.com to see if there are any near your favorite boat ramps. Plugging the truck into a destination charger while you're out on the lake will fill the gap for the return trip for many boaters.

On that note, why isn't everyone trying to covert recreational boats to EV?

Or RV's for that matter. An RV with 4 tons of batteries would be awesome. You might make it to the closest campground to recharge for a week before the next leg.
The industry's production is currently battery-constrained. It makes more sense for them to use the available supply of batteries to build three cars with 80kWh batters than one RV with 240kWh.

Can’t wait for the first boat ramp rail where somebody submerges their cybertruck like what happened here.

Honest question, which one pollutes the water worse when dumped into the lake? The ICE or the EV?

Destination chargers are popping up all over as they are inexpensive to install and can generate revenue for the businesses that have them. With more EV trucks coming out, the demand will be there. Check www.plugshare.com to see if there are any near your favorite boat ramps. Plugging the truck into a destination charger while you're out on the lake will fill the gap for the return trip for many boaters.

The industry's production is currently battery-constrained. It makes more sense for them to use the available supply of batteries to build three cars with 80kWh batters than one RV with 240kWh.
I'm not saying there aren't chargers somewhere nearby, I'm saying the last thing most boaters want to do is sit and wait on a charge when you've been out in 100-degree heat all day and are sunburned, tired, and probably a bit dehydrated lol. Unless they are going to install chargers in a bunch of the parking spaces at the boat ramp that you can leave plugged in while you're out on the water (not a good solution for utilization), you're forced to make another stop on the way out of town when you least want to stop. This scenario I'm talking about is based around a 180-200 mile round trip while towing. The reason I use this scenario is that its fairly common in the boating world, because people will often tow 90-100 miles to the lake for the day, then tow back home at the end of the day. It's close enough to do the day trip, but not far enough away that you'd stay the night (and thus have ample opportunity to charge the EV). That's why I think that "magical" 300-mile towing range would break a lot of barriers for that particular crowd.

Using your plugshare website, there are a total of 3 EV charging sites on Grand Lake 'O' The Cherokees (one of the largest lakes in OK and VERY popular). One of those chargers is by the hydroelectric power dam which is pretty far out of the way, and the other two are on the opposite side of the lake from the interstate that runs between Tulsa and Missouri/Kansas, so even worse for accessibility. Over time I'm sure more chargers will be added, but it's currently a no-go for what I would estimate is half of the towing traffic on a given weekend.

Still stand by my comment that they currently can not and are not used in farming.
On my current F150 driving highway speed not towing I can go over 700 miles before refueling, can’t do that in an EV.

You mentioned that the EV cannot do the work of a pickup on a farm. I am not aware of any farm that is 700 miles long.
And EV by its very nature, should start with "full tank" every day. So as long as the farmer is pulling less than 200 miles of a heavy trailer around the farm, the Silverado EV has the range. No idea on the reliability, durability or anything else. But it has the range and power to do the job of any farmer I know.

While those aren't the worst numbers in the world, I would barely be able to tow my boat to the lake and back at that rate. Not a ton of places to grab a charge at the boat ramps, so if I needed a boost it's going to cut into my trip time. Last thing I want to do after I've been in the sun all day long is stop for another 30-45 minutes to grab a boost for the ride home. I think once they get the range up to around 300 miles while towing, they could draw a lot of serious truck buyers. I understand that my scenario doesn't discount people who will tow less weight or don't tow as far, but I feel like the 300-mile mark is what would equate an EV truck with my '08 F-150 gasser. That being said, my diesel Excursion won't likely be matched on towing range by an EV in my lifetime so I'm not sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for an EV towing vehicle.

I think Chevy might draw a number of serious truck buyers with the existing range. I will need a pickup truck again in a few years. Towing is a significant factor for me; and while not perfect. The Silverado would be a definite contender for me.

Tim

You mentioned that the EV cannot do the work of a pickup on a farm. I am not aware of any farm that is 700 miles long.
And EV by its very nature, should start with "full tank" every day. So as long as the farmer is pulling less than 200 miles of a heavy trailer around the farm, the Silverado EV has the range. No idea on the reliability, durability or anything else. But it has the range and power to do the job of any farmer I know.

I think Chevy might draw a number of serious truck buyers with the existing range. I will need a pickup truck again in a few years. Towing is a significant factor for me; and while not perfect. The Silverado would be a definite contender for me.

Tim
My main problem with the EV Silverado is that I don't like the way it looks at all. Half Honda Ridgeline/Half Chevy Avalanche. The Ford Lightning looks mostly like a regular F-150 which I think is decent-looking. That's all just personal preference on looks though. I'm also firmly in the camp that the CyberTruck is one of the ugliest things that has ever been produced, so there's that, lol.

My main problem with the EV Silverado is that I don't like the way it looks at all. Half Honda Ridgeline/Half Chevy Avalanche. The Ford Lightning looks mostly like a regular F-150 which I think is decent-looking. That's all just personal preference on looks though. I'm also firmly in the camp that the CyberTruck is one of the ugliest things that has ever been produced, so there's that, lol.
Agree on the looks. But I drove a 2004 Subaru WRX among other ugly cars. So, I am less concerned about the looks, and more does it meet the requirements.

Tim

I'm saying the last thing most boaters want to do is sit and wait on a charge when you've been out in 100-degree heat all day and are sunburned, tired, and probably a bit dehydrated lol. Unless they are going to install chargers in a bunch of the parking spaces at the boat ramp that you can leave plugged in while you're out on the water
That's exactly what I'm saying. Marinas have installed some, and will be installing a lot more, destination chargers that will let you leave your EV plugged in while you're out on the lake. Not only will you not have to stop to charge on the ride home but you won't have to "fill up" prior to leaving home because the truck will charge in your garage or driveway.

EV truck volume has been fairly low so far but is accelerating. As the demand increases, so will the availability of charges in locations where those trucks are likely to need them.

Networks, such as Blink and ChargePoint, already have programs where they install and maintain destination chargers at commercial locations. The owner can have it setup to provide free charging to customer, set a rate to cover his own costs, or charge more to earn revenue from the chargers. Tesla has the same setup for their universal wall connectors with installations of five, or more.

Tesla is addressing the need for more power for towing with their range extender battery pack that can be installed, like a toolbox, in the bed of the Cybertruck. That lets those who need to higher towing range add it while not building that extra cost into the majority of the trucks whose owners won't need it. That's coming out next year and and will bring the truck to an estimated range (EPA testing hasn't been done yet) of 450+ miles which should handle your 200 mile day trip just fine while towing.

You mentioned that the EV cannot do the work of a pickup on a farm.
I'm not very familiar with farm operations but I agree. I would think that most farm equipment would work very well on electric power because they'd be plugged in whenever they aren't being used. Seems like electrifying as much as possible would be a good think for farmers as their margins are slim and the money saved would pay off. They also have the land to use solar for much of their charging.

It's the same thing for long-distance towing. Most truck owners rarely, if every, do it. They don't need to pay for a 500 mile range pickup if they don't use that capability.

Another work around:

Way better off owning a hybrid, and then you don't need an ICE to do the stuff an EV can't.

Most of my hybrid experience is Prius, and the ride across this town in one is getting beat to death over potholes, cracks, and ruts in the streets.

Way better off owning a hybrid, and then you don't need an ICE to do the stuff an EV can't.

Most of my hybrid experience is Prius, and the ride across this town in one is getting beat to death over potholes, cracks, and ruts in the streets.

Ummmm

I actually like the looks of the Silverado over any of the EV trucks. Then again, I’m not a truck guy and never understood why people like a truck’s appearance. I might have a towing need in the future but that’ll have everything to do with performance and nothing to do with looks.

Tim
I take it you are not a famer.... A EV pickup or tractor does not have the battery capacity to last long enough to do the work demanded of it, PERIOD. There is one prototype tractor that I have seen. It will only run for a couple of hours before a recharge which is quite lengthy.
My 700 mile distance was in relation to my driving on the highway not having to wait for a recharge or plan my trip around charging stations. In remote areas is some states there aren't a lot of coinvent charging station.
EV's are not suited for every situation. Some can't understand that but seem to have some sort of an agenda they push.

They also have the land to use solar for much of their charging.
Farmer's aren't going to take their farmland out of production to put in a solar farm, nor can you farm underneath one.

And while it has been a lot of years since I was working on a farm or ranch, I recall there were always a lot of opportunities to get a pickup stuck while working around irrigated land. Not once while trying to work the truck out of the mud did I think: "I sure wish this thing weighed another 1500 lbs".

They also have the land to use solar for much of their charging.
All the farmers should convert to making money producing electricity and then they wouldn't need tractors that use gas. We can make food with replicators with all the cheap electricity we'll have.

I take it you are not a famer.... A EV pickup or tractor does not have the battery capacity to last long enough to do the work demanded of it, PERIOD. There is one prototype tractor that I have seen. It will only run for a couple of hours before a recharge which is quite lengthy.
My 700 mile distance was in relation to my driving on the highway not having to wait for a recharge or plan my trip around charging stations. In remote areas is some states there aren't a lot of coinvent charging station.
EV's are not suited for every situation. Some can't understand that but seem to have some sort of an agenda they push.

Not a farmer. I never mentioned tractors, stop trying to put words in my mouth :D
From the very little I know, electric tractors are way, way in the future from a practical stand point.
I have met a farmer with a Rivian; and he had a Chevy Silverado on order also. He also gave me crap for driving my parents Found On Road Dead Mach-E. (He had a lot of very funny rants about Fords. )
The Rivian met the his need for moving around the farm and using the bed to carry stuff all over the farm. It was just a little shy in terms of range when pulling the horse trailer around the farm.
The biggest reason he had the Siverado on order, the dealer promised that the Chevy EV pickup had twice the range of the Rivian when pulling a trailer.
Based on the video above, and what I recall, the dealer was likely correct.

Tim

On fire, while submerged under water. Plus a live 350V circuit ready to zap any first responders.

That's awesome!

Don't see hanging a snow plow off the front of it.
I wonder how regenerative braking does in deep snow or on ice.

To me the Rivian is pointless. At least Tesla strove to get the aerodynamics right. The Rivian could be a lot more compact and functional if they eliminated the needless faux engine bay.
Aerodynamics aren't necessarily intuitive. What looks slick doesn't always hold up in wind tunnel testing. Looks like Rivian did their homework. Tesla had to stick with the initial concept drawing Elon liked.

Obviously, several factors play into this, and Cybertruck’s initial data could change as time goes on. However, Rivian is a clear leader in pickup efficiency at this current point. A big reason for that is sheer aerodynamics – the Rivian R1T has a Cd of 0.30 compared to 0.335 on the Cybertruck. In this sense, Tesla will never be able to compete with Rivian on aerodynamics, especially since it is simply a larger EV with more frontal surface area. Still, Cybertruck blows away the Lightning and Hummer on Cd (0.44 and 0.50, respectively). The Chevy Silverado EV is closer at a 0.331 Cd.
Pickup Model/Variant50 mph70 mph
Rivian R1T Performance Dual Motor Max Pack (21″)151 Wh/mi233 Wh/mi
Rivian R1T Performance Dual Motor Max Pack (22″)172 Wh/mi258 Wh/mi
Rivian R1T All-Terrain Dual Motor Large Pack (20″)184 Wh/mi273 Wh/mi
Tesla Cybertruck AWD (20″)161 Wh/mi272 Wh/mi
Tesla Cybertruck Beast (20″)168 Wh/mi278 Wh/mi
Chevrolet Silverado EV 4WT (18″)188 Wh/mi300 Wh/mi
Ford F-150 Lightning Platinum (22″)177 Wh/mi303 Wh/mi
GMC Hummer EV Pickup Tri-Motor (22″)218 Wh/mi378 Wh/mi

Don't see hanging a snow plow off the front of it.
I wonder how regenerative braking does in deep snow or on ice.
Not good. Had an interesting experience with regenerative braking on ice a few weeks ago.

Rural country road with blowing snow. Dual motor AWD Genesis. Came up on a long icy patch with regen set to high in one-pedal driving mode.

Intuitively let off the "gas" to coast on the ice. Whoop - big mistake.

Was impressed, however, with the amount of single wheel ABS braking, yaw correcting magic that the car did on its own to keep the headlight end generally pointing in the direction of the asphalt after it completely unsettled itself.

A friend has a Prius and I have to say that I had my doubts about the car but after taking a few road trips in it with him and seeing adequate power and mileage in the low 50's I was a bit impressed to say the least. I'm not against an EV as people should buy what works for them. For me ... my midsize truck that gets near 30 mpg and can tow ~ 6800 lbs. is where I'm at now ...

I always laugh at people who say PERIOD in an argument. Like that proves something.

I always laugh at people who say PERIOD in an argument. Like that proves something.
kinda like saying
"the fact is......"
or
"I've been doing this for x years, and...."
or one of my boss's favorites....
"the reality is...."
I cringe and bite my tongue every time

kinda like saying
"the fact is......"
or
"I've been doing this for x years, and...."
or one of my boss's favorites....
"the reality is...."
I cringe and bite my tongue every time
I'm the boss at my company and I say all those things. Two to add:
"The bottom line is ..."
"At the end of the day ..."

Or those who keep brining up tangents because the fist point is not applicable or valid.

Tim

Farmer's aren't going to take their farmland out of production to put in a solar farm, nor can you farm underneath one.
Not their farmland. The roofs of the farm buildings and/or land that isn't being farmed around them. No trees to block the sun. No HOA to regulate where they can be installed. No need to hide them from the front view.

Not their farmland. The roofs of the farm buildings and/or land that isn't being farmed around them. No trees to block the sun. No HOA to regulate where they can be installed. No need to hide them from the front view.
I wonder how windmills would do in that situation?

I'm the boss at my company and I say all those things. Two to add:
"The bottom line is ..."
"At the end of the day ..."
Those are different. see those actually work. You're the boss....and the decision is made. That's the bottom line. right or wrong, good or bad, doesn't matter....that's it. moving on...

but when someone says "fact is" or "reality is" they are qualifying there statement as being correct, fact, reality... often it's about an opinion and not a fact and they look like an idiot for saying it is fact. it might be their reality but not necessarily THE reality. It might even be one of many realities.... Their decision, ok sure.... the way we are marching, yes sir.... but it might not be fact.

Example of what the cold does to EV range. A 31 mile trip this morning that took 43 miles of range. 29 degrees and averaging 55 mph.

IMG_8676.jpeg
IMG_8677.jpeg

And then there are some people that are just Richard's:)
Name calling, even using an alias. Reminds me of the rather trite phrase from lawyers about debating.
Jacob J. Rosenblum on what every lawyer knows.

“The defense seems to have been prepared according to the old rules. ‘If the facts are against you, hammer the law. If the law is against you, hammer the facts. If the fact and the law are against you, hammer opposing counsel.'”

Some interesting history on the phrase: https://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/07/04/legal-adage/
(I never validated, but seems legit)

Tim

Name calling, even using an alias. Reminds me of the rather trite phrase from lawyers about debating.
Jacob J. Rosenblum on what every lawyer knows.

“The defense seems to have been prepared according to the old rules. ‘If the facts are against you, hammer the law. If the law is against you, hammer the facts. If the fact and the law are against you, hammer opposing counsel.'”

Some interesting history on the phrase: https://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/07/04/legal-adage/
(I never validated, but seems legit)

Tim

You sure like beating that dead horse. There are no facts against me.
EV’s don’t work for me or in every situation.
Why do you have such angst for that statement?

Example of what the cold does to EV range. A 31 mile trip this morning that took 43 miles of range. 29 degrees and averaging 55 mph.
That's in your pre-heat pump Model S. The current cars, with the heat pump, do a lot better.

One study, using real-world driving data, found Tesla's had a 15% to 19% reduction in freezing weather. The Model S was the top end at 19%. I assume that's a heat-pump model but only read the summary, linked below, not the whole study.

I waited to buy my Model 3 until they had been switched over to the heat pump.

Nobody has any problem with that. We have a problem with inaccurate information. I've never tried to convince someone that an EV was right for them. I reply when I see inaccurate information or assumptions. Our point is that EV work in a lot more situations than many people, who have only casual knowledge of EVs, think.

If you don't want an EV then don't buy one. I've said that from the start.

I wasn't referring to you Larry in my last statement. It's funny how some push so hard the virtues for EV's to the exclusion of all else.
My wife should have an EV it would be the better choice, she usually just putts around town, she likes her mustang though.

Last edited:
You sure like beating that dead horse. There are no facts against me.

I you had stated, EVs do not work for me. I would have said nothing.
However, your exact statement was:
It will be quite awhile before you see any of these electric trucks being used by a farmer. They can’t tow for any distance or haul much of a load before needing a charge. Would be good for a city truck though that doesn’t haul anything but groceries

And I counted with a review showing a towing range over 200 miles pulling a large trailer almost matching the range of the gas truck. I also point out I have met farmers with EV trucks.

Will EVs solve every case? Not even close. Even if there was enough capacity or enough charging points, I doubt EVs would work for the super majority of the population. Majority yes. super majority no. There are just too many edge cases, such as your proposed 700 mile trip; or my very occasional 500 mile one.

As for your wife just going around town, I would tell her to keep the Mustang. So far, I have not seen any EV that has the "je ne sais quoi" of a Mustang, Corvette, Challenger.... There is something about those old style muscle cars, I am not sure any EV will be able to match.

Tim

Back