Tesla Pickup Unveil

Had dinner with my 20 year old nephew. He thinks it's the coolest thing he's ever seen. It'll probably come available about the time he can actually afford one.

Can you do that?

Check the fine print on the hold you guys have, but my guess is yes. Even if it isn't and someone REALLY had to have the first one in town A, I'm sure there would be offers thrown out there on FB, IG, whatever asking if they can just buy it straight up off of you when it's your turn.

Had dinner with my 20 year old nephew. He thinks it's the coolest thing he's ever seen. It'll probably come available about the time he can actually afford one.

I think it looks worse every time I see it. 1984 Called, Automan wants its vehicle back.

I'm 67 and I think it's the coolest truck I have ever seen.
Mid life crisis? (I thought I was over that two decades ago).
Dementia? (what were we talking about again?)

Whatever, I think its' cool. I want to mount a flame thrower on it somewhere!

Can you do that?

For the Mode X and 3, Tesla was pretty strict in not allowing reservations to be transferred except between direct family members - specifically to discourage speculation.

If you happened to have a ranch with room for a ton of solar panels like out in West Texas, it might actually be pretty cool to have something like this. I’m not financially ready to make that kind of jump from my old ‘91 F-250 diesel, but if I had the money and the desire for a newer vehicle I’d be putting a deposit down. I don’t care how ground vehicles look if they serve the right purpose.

If you happened to have a ranch with room for a ton of solar panels like out in West Texas, it might actually be pretty cool to have something like this. I’m not financially ready to make that kind of jump from my old ‘91 F-250 diesel, but if I had the money and the desire for a newer vehicle I’d be putting a deposit down. I don’t care how ground vehicles look if they serve the right purpose.
What would a new F250 Diesel cost if it were dressed like the high end Tesla truck (~$77k)?

Round it in a few spots, flatten the roof, give it some head / tail lights that have some style (substance), put a Tesla badge on the front and a Tesla decal on the side and it wouldn’t look bad at all. Doesn’t take much to improve on a design.

Personally I don’t think they’ll even come close to meeting their forecasted performance, cost and release date.

Last edited:
Personally I don’t think they’ll even come close to meeting their forecasted performance, cost and release date.

Release date I agree, but Tesla has always met and exceeded forecasted performance, and “technically” met forecasted cost.

OK, I haven't perused all 8 pages of responses, but how do rear seat passengers fit in there? The only way I can see it is if the rear passengers face to the rear. Kind of like a covered Subaru Brat?

1463800252113163586.png

OK, I haven't perused all 8 pages of responses, but how do rear seat passengers fit in there? The only way I can see it is if the rear passengers face to the rear. Kind of like a covered Subaru Brat?

1463800252113163586.png

It has 2 full-size rows of seats? Or do you mean more rear than that?

It has 2 full-size rows of seats? Or do you mean more rear than that?

I'm just looking at the Tesla truck, and it has that big peak in the A-frame just behind the driver's head. By the time you get to where the passenger's head would be, the roof has sloped down significantly. Either the rear passengers have to face rearward, or they ride much lower in the vehicle than the front passengers.

That works fine for the miserable range EV owners have had to live with so far. A dedicated charging circuit that is something more than a 110 v, 15 amp is probably going to be necessary to charge 300 mile, 400 mile, 500 mile range vehicles if EV owners are actually using them as serious transportation substitutes for ICE.

The range of the vehicle is completely irrelevant. It's the amount that you drive it.

This is one of those things that seems to be very difficult for ICE drivers to grasp, since we're so used to going to the gas station when we get close to empty, and filling all the way up. You really never do that with an EV You plug it in when you get home, and the time it takes you to charge depends on how much you drove - NOT the range of the vehicle. If you drove 30 miles today, the charge time on a 120V outlet will be roughly the same whether you drove a Volt, Leaf, Tesla, or whatever.

I only know 4 people with EVs (3 Tesla S, one Leaf). All of them have dedicated charge circuits in their garages for their cars; 220 volt circuits I think for the Teslas. Maybe they just wasted their money on that? Or maybe just a GFI plug run in by their local electrician for convenience.

If you have a long range BEV, or a PHEV, it's nice to have. It's really only a necessity if you have a short-range BEV and you use most or all of your battery multiple times per day. This is a pretty rare use case.

If you have a PHEV, it's nice to have because if you do multiple trips away from home and back during the day, you'll get more EV miles and burn less gas.

If you have a long-range BEV, it's nice to have because you'll be able to do less planning, have less range anxiety, etc. But like I said, unless you drive a LOT of miles, or drive them unevenly, you'll be fine. If you charge 12 hours/day during the week and 16 hours/day on the weekend, that's a little over 19,000 miles of range added per year on a plain old 120V circuit. Even just 8 hours/day while you're sleeping, and never any other time, will give you nearly 12,000 miles per year.

Put into a scenario: I have a 75-mile daily round trip commute. If I start on Monday morning with a fully charged 310-mile long range Model 3, I'll arrive home Monday night with 235 miles. Plug in for 12 hours, and Tuesday morning I'll leave with 283 miles and get home with 208. Repeat for the rest of the work week and I'll arrive home Friday night with 100 miles of range. If I was only away from a charger for 4 hours and drove 15 miles on the weekend, it'd be fully charged again Monday morning. It wouldn't be ideal or allow for much flexibility, but it'd be workable... And my commute is much farther than the average American. 78% of daily commuters in the US drive 40 miles or less per day.

Another high amperage 240 volt plug is more than the current panel can take in many homes, especially older ones.
And running the equivalent of a dryer 10 hours a day is a lot of electricity used.

Again, you're not running it at full tilt all the time. You're only replacing the range you drove that particular day. A Tesla on a 40A 240V circuit can add about 35 miles of range per hour, so most people that have a dedicated circuit for their car will only actually be charging for an hour or less per day.

What’s the real-world at-home utility bill actual dollars cost to daily charge a Tesla right now? I’m guessing it’s a lot more than drying a couple loads of clothes in a dryer. ;) Multiplied daily, what’s an honest annual $$$ bill to keep a Tesla rolling in electrons?

The average driver goes 12,000 miles/year or 1,000 miles/month, and the average residential electricity rate in the US is 12 cents/kWh. With charging efficiency taken into account, you're looking at about $30-$35/month to keep it rolling.

Remember, we’re talking plug-in hybrid, so once the EV range is exceeded, you just continue in hybrid mode.

Uhhh... We are? The Tesla pickup is not a plug-in hybrid, it's a battery electric vehicle.

I believe the highest point in Florida is 300 ft AGL.

Pretty sure the highest point in every state is still 0 AGL. ;)

I wonder if the number of preorders aren't all from people actually wanting to buy, but to then sell their hold to someone else.

Tesla doesn't allow that. They've cancelled reservations of those who tried in the past.

I'm just looking at the Tesla truck, and it has that big peak in the A-frame just behind the driver's head. By the time you get to where the passenger's head would be, the roof has sloped down significantly. Either the rear passengers have to face rearward, or they ride much lower in the vehicle than the front passengers.

What I heard from a podcaster who was at the rollout and rode in the back seat is that there's reasonably good head room in the back, and there's a ton of extra headroom in the front.

What I heard from a podcaster who was at the rollout and rode in the back seat is that there's reasonably good head room in the back, and there's a ton of extra headroom in the front.
The headroom in the Malibu is reasonably good, however, that didn't seem to help you out much with your head cocked 45 degrees sideways the entire flight. Something tells me you'd have a bad time in the back of the Cyber Truck if words like "reasonably good" are being used by Tesla enthusiasts.

The headroom in the Malibu is reasonably good, however, that didn't seem to help you out much with your head cocked 45 degrees sideways the entire flight. Something tells me you'd have a bad time in the back of the Cyber Truck if words like "reasonably good" are being used by Tesla enthusiasts.

Yeah, never good from a comfort standpoint when you look like the RCA Victor dog.
(And if you get that reference, you're REALLY old!!)

Pretty sure the highest point in every state is still 0 AGL. ;)
Yeah, you are the second person that caught that. I provided my "oops" earlier, but I left it to see if anyone else caught it.
The highest part of the state is ~300 MSL. Not AGL.

I don't remember what his actual words were, just that he said there was a ton of extra headroom in the front, and that he was glad he got to ride in the back because he wanted to see what it was like for the same reason.

I don't remember the Malibu being that bad, once I was in it. Kinda like most airplanes. The DA20, however, was not workable.

Yeah, you are the second person that caught that. I provided my "oops" earlier, but I left it to see if anyone else caught it.

Yeah, I saw that too, just wanted to let you know that it did get caught again. ;)

They can use the cash. That $25 million will give Tesla seven days of operating capital based on 2019 losses to date.

Actually 40 x 365 = 14'600 miles. That over the average yearly mileage (13'500). If the battery is big enough to smooth over the spikes it should work out fine for most people. Put another way, the average commute length per day is 32 miles.

So 120V is fine for "most" people. Not like in 99% of people, but 50.1% of people. It was for me anyway.

But installing 240V is so cheap, you might as well. If you happen to already have a 120V dedicated circuit in your garage, you can upgrade it to 240V/20A for under $20 - just swap out the breaker and outlet. That will give you 150 miles in 10 hours.
I think you would be missing a wire. 120v circuit uses 3 wires, hot, neutral, and ground. 230v uses 4 wires, two hot wires, nuetral and ground.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

I think you would be missing a wire. 120v circuit uses 3 wires, hot, neutral, and ground. 230v uses 4 wires, two hot wires, nuetral and ground.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Not necessarily. There are 2 types of standard 240V outlets. NEMA 6- which is commonly used by welders and server racks is a pure 240V L1 and L2 (and ground) with no neutral.

NEMA 14- which is used by ovens, dryers etc. has L1, L2 (and ground) and the neutral.

The main reason for the neutral is if in addition to the main 240V circuit (like a heating element) the appliance also wants 120V. e.g the clock on an oven.

Tesla doesn’t need the neutral and has adapters for both NEMA 6- and NEMA 14- outlets.

Not necessarily. There are 2 types of standard 240V outlets. NEMA 6- which is commonly used by welders and server racks is a pure 240V L1 and L2 (and ground) with no neutral.

NEMA 14- which is used by ovens, dryers etc. has L1, L2 (and ground) and the neutral.

The main reason for the neutral is if in addition to the main 240V circuit (like a heating element) the appliance also wants 120V. e.g the clock on an oven.

Tesla doesn’t need the neutral and has adapters for both NEMA 6- and NEMA 14- outlets.

Dryer 240V outlets were pretty much all NEMA 6 (2 hots, 1 neutral, no ground) until the 90’s when the 4 wire became part of standard code. Most dryers these days can still be wired for either standard. I have a 3-wire dryer outlet in my home, and a 4-wire “welder” outlet in the garage. Both outlets are fed off the same sub panel in the garage. Just a difference in when those outlets were installed.

I knew all along this thing was going to have a low Cd. ;)

They can use the cash. That $25 million will give Tesla seven days of operating capital based on 2019 losses to date.
Yeah, you don't like Tesla, or any other EV. But they are still around.

Who is financing this.??

I need 2.5 million to start up a business I have been working on and would really like to talk to these guys.

Anyone got any spare change laying around.?? :lol::lol:

I was getting buyers remorse for the deposit I put down on the mid range CyberTruck.

So I changed my order from the $50k truck to the $70k truck. I was just not as enthusiastic about that 300 mile range.
Now, I'm happy with my order.

And I'll make you the same bet that people that really want a compact car (think smart car) won't buy this either. Nobody ever said this truck was for everybody. Name one vehicle ever produced in history that could make that claim. This truck would check just about every box on my list of requirements, except that it is about a foot longer than I would prefer.
coming back to this John, Elon mentioned he's looking to take 6-12" off the length without losing bed or cabin space and a few inches off the width!

If Tesla had rolled out a truck that resembled the Colorado ZR2, I doubt too many people would have balked. I still don’t care for the Avalanche/Ridgeline slanted panel behind the cap limiting access to reach into the front corners of the bed, but that’s not going to sway most from considering it. CyberTruck is just too much “edginess” with little substance behind the design. I’m sure the functionality of the truck for pavement pounders will be fine (as that same demographic could probably get by with a Model S/X just the same).

To those who think the onboard air compressor is going to be capable of doing much more than airing up a flat tire, I’ve got some sad news for you. Even the on onboard air compressors on semi trucks doesn’t have the CFM to do much of anything other than air up a tire or very brief spurts with an impact gun. No cut off wheels or grinders, no air hammers, etc. it’s probably good enough to provide 100psi @ 3-4CFM for 10 seconds or so. It’s not like it’s going to have a 20 gallon air tank on it, so reserves are minimal.
I don't think the onboard air was advertised for air tools. more for filling vehicle and wheelbarrow tires. However, the 240V plug ought to run any compressor you want, so it's not limiting. Like this one? https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/Ingersoll-Rand-2475N7.5-FP-Air-Compressor/p769.html Just needs 40A @ 240V i'm guessing that he'll put that size inverter in.

I wasn’t complaining about the engineering of the truck itself, just that it’s doesn’t appear to to do the simple things well because they were so worried about being edgy and offering gimmicks. The slanted roofline and apparent blind spots (cameras notwithstanding) are evidence of that. Is an air ride suspension really needed? I mean, I’m not sure why most need the ride height to be variable or to have heavy 35” tires as stock. That’s sort of Ford Raptor territory, which is great for a niche product, but not practical or even desirable for most daily drivers and those who use a truck for “truck stuff”.

If they are going for a niche market product, great, have at it. If they wanted to beat the Big 3 at their own game, the CyberTruck is probably a missed opportunity.

Again, I don’t understand the mentality that an EV has to be radical in design to win in the marketplace. It just has to be similar to an existing vehicle in appearance/function, but with an EV drivetrain and the benefits that the latest EV-tech provides. If the cost is the same or very close to the ICE version, people will convert.
my ford doesn't fit in my garage and has to sit ouside due to height. I'd love it if they weren't trying to "look tough" by jackign it up. I love that the cybertruck can dump the air and go int he garage. The tires are more aggressive than I like, but that might be due to load. with a 3,400 lb payload, I'd wonder if he's got semisolid rubber tires or something lined up for it that can't be popped and can hold a zillion pounds on them.

coming back to this John, Elon mentioned he's looking to take 6-12" off the length without losing bed or cabin space and a few inches off the width!
That would check off the last box for me.

I'm not real thrilled about the slanted bed limiting physical access from the side. I'm only 5'9" and already have trouble reaching into the bed of a standard pickup truck from the side. But most of my hauling is mulch and landscaping supplies, and that almost always has to come out through the tailgate any way.

And if the bed cover actually keeps the contents of the bed dry, then that will be a big plus. On road trips, I can store stuff in the back and use the front seats for people and stuff that I need immediate access too. Like the beer cooler.

my ford doesn't fit in my garage and has to sit ouside due to height. I'd love it if they weren't trying to "look tough" by jackign it up. I love that the cybertruck can dump the air and go int he garage. The tires are more aggressive than I like, but that might be due to load. with a 3,400 lb payload, I'd wonder if he's got semisolid rubber tires or something lined up for it that can't be popped and can hold a zillion pounds on them.

Sounds like a garage problem. I haven’t had any issues with stock height F-150 4x4s over the past few generations fitting in 3-4 different garages which were roughly standard size. Maybe your garage is just a tad smaller than the current standard.

Agreed on the tires. I can’t imagine the ride would be fun with a dually payload capability using a SRW setup, air ride suspension or not.

Sounds like a garage problem. I haven’t had any issues with stock height F-150 4x4s over the past few generations fitting in 3-4 different garages which were roughly standard size. Maybe your garage is just a tad smaller than the current standard.

Agreed on the tires. I can’t imagine the ride would be fun with a dually payload capability using a SRW setup, air ride suspension or not.

Yes, my garage is lower than standard. My tahoe made it in with 1/2 inch clearance

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But she gave a flat NO on the Cybertruck. Too ugly was her comment. lmao.

I got passed that one by promising to do a purple chrome wrap on my CyberTruck ;)

Back