Tesla Pickup Unveil

I bought her the mustang right before covid hit. It was for her she liked the color "but" also for me,LOL. It is a pp2 that has the track package not very practical to putt around town with 11" michellin cup2's all around. My plan was to get back to the track after many many years of absence.

I know stainless can be rounded. Is it simply because of the type of stainless here that it can’t be rounded? I wonder about skin temp with it as well. I’ve heard people claim the skin is actually cooler than painted cars but my DeLorean gets extremely hot to the touch in the summer.

I will say, the more I see it and learn its capabilities, the more appealing it becomes. Still won’t buy one though because they’re way too expensive and I have no need for a truck.

Last edited:
I know stainless can be rounded. Is it simply because of the type of stainless here that it can’t be rounded?
Elon claims his thick SpaceX alloy can’t be rounded because it is so strong it will break the stamping press.

Reason Cybertruck is so planar is that you can’t stamp ultra-hard 30X steel, because it breaks the stamping press.” Elon Musk​

Stamping engineers disagree.

Thus the real question is, will cold-rolled stainless steel with YS = TS = 611 MPa break the stamping press?
Answer: No, assuming the press is correctly sized for the part. The part will fail (split or crack), not the press.
The part cracks or split during the attempted forming operation, because the material that is cold worked to the point of its Tensile Strength, has no ability to stretch or form. If the material is cold rolled or worked to its maximum, any additional cold work (ie: forming in a press) pushes the material past its Tensile limit and it fails (cracks).
Having come from this world years ago, I would guess that it broke the crappy prototype die they built on a tight timeline, and/or the part because he insisted on part geometry that stretched the material too much (think of stamping a three sided box corner from flat sheet).

Elon liked the crayon on paper sketch he made, anyway, and he would never admit his chosen material was failing, so here we are.

In the auto and truck manufacturing world there are some pretty dang hefty pieces and complex geometries stamped.

We had one press nicknamed “The Bump”, that you could feel shake the ground in the parking lot outside the fence on each stroke.

Last edited:
I know stainless can be rounded. Is it simply because of the type of stainless here that it can’t be rounded? I wonder about skin temp with it as well. I’ve heard people claim the skin is actually cooler than painted cars but my DeLorean gets extremely hot to the touch in the summer.

I will say, the more I see it and learn its capabilities, the more appealing it becomes. Still won’t buy one though because they’re way too expensive and I have no need for a truck.

Do not consider it a tuck. Consider it an SUV. That is much more in line with its capabilities.

Tim

It's as much of a truck as the Hyundai Santa Cruz. Pretty useless for anything truck related.

I didn't hardly hear a thing in that video that added much capability over the same trucks that have been made for decades. Sure, not having a differential hanging down is a benefit, but it's not really a problem for 90% of truck owners. I don't hear too many Jeep or 4WD truck owners complaining about the 10" ground clearance they already have. Flip up rear bench? Yeah, been standard in all trucks since the 90s. 6-lug wheels? Also pretty standard since at least '04 on F-150s. I think there are benefits to the Teslatruck just due to being EV (driveline simplicity), but nothing about it screamed "more capable" than anything else. Camper/tent additions are pretty common for just about every truck/SUV, so the bed design isn't more condusive to that. Retractable tonneau cover? Again, nothing that hasn't been available as a dealer option for decades. I just really wonder how much Tesla engineers actually went out and rode around with REAL truck owners to see what needed to be improved upon. Having high-beltline and bed sides wasn't a step in the right direction.

Elon claims his thick SpaceX alloy can’t be rounded because it is so strong it will break the stamping press.

Reason Cybertruck is so planar is that you can’t stamp ultra-hard 30X steel, because it breaks the stamping press.” Elon Musk​

Stamping engineers disagree.

Thus the real question is, will cold-rolled stainless steel with YS = TS = 611 MPa break the stamping press?
Answer: No, assuming the press is correctly sized for the part. The part will fail (split or crack), not the press.
The part cracks or split during the attempted forming operation, because the material that is cold worked to the point of its Tensile Strength, has no ability to stretch or form. If the material is cold rolled or worked to its maximum, any additional cold work (ie: forming in a press) pushes the material past its Tensile limit and it fails (cracks).
Having come from this world years ago, I would guess that it broke the crappy prototype die they built on a tight timeline, and/or the part because he insisted on part geometry that stretched the material too much (think of stamping a three sided box corner from flat sheet).

Elon liked the crayon on paper sketch he made, anyway, and he would never admit his chosen material was failing, so here we are.

In the auto and truck manufacturing world there are some pretty dang hefty pieces and complex geometries stamped.

We had one press nicknamed “The Bump”, that you could feel shake the ground in the parking lot outside the fence on each stroke.
SpaceX started using 301, then went to 304L. Most stuff I deal with is 308 and on occasion 316 for a higher corrosion resistance. Everything I've read about the Space x alloy is it's probably a very minor alteration of 304L if there's any alteration at all. Elon just has a weird infatuation with "x" and adding a little mystery has some marketing value. 308 is a little more difficult to work with, but we form it all the time. It doesn't break tooling, but it might not form like steel, and that's probably where the problem arises.

I just really wonder how much Tesla engineers actually went out and rode around with REAL truck owners to see what needed to be improved upon. Having high-beltline and bed sides wasn't a step in the right direction.
The tesla truck isn't for "real truck owners". Its target market is the mom and pop segment who want a truck because their neighbors or friends have one and they like the idea of commuting in a large vehicle. They want something new and different and occasionally go to the hardware store to buy a two by four or something that wouldn't fit in a standard car. Its the same people drive trucks back and forth to work every day even though a commuter car would be more practical. They aren't using it to go off roading, as a work truck on the job site, or to tow regularly. It isn't about capability. Its about the "look at me" factor. If Tesla was truly targeting the market that utilizes trucks as a truck they would have made much different design decisions.

The tesla truck isn't for "real truck owners". Its target market is the mom and pop segment who want a truck because their neighbors or friends have one and they like the idea of commuting in a large vehicle. They want something new and different and occasionally go to the hardware store to buy a two by four or something that wouldn't fit in a standard car. Its the same people drive trucks back and forth to work every day even though a commuter car would be more practical. They aren't using it to go off roading, as a work truck on the job site, or to tow regularly. It isn't about capability. Its about the "look at me" factor. If Tesla was truly targeting the market that utilizes trucks as a truck they would have made much different design decisions.
I'd agree with you but then I look at their semi and I just smh and wonder what the hell drugs people are taking.

*edit* I re-read this and it sounds like I disagree with you. I don't, I just think people have lost their frikken minds.

Last edited:
If it doesn't have an 8' bed, it's absolutely useless.
Lol, well I won't go THAT far, but I get the sentiment. I rarely need more than the 6.5 bed with the tailgate down. 8' bed on a SuperCrew starts getting pretty lengthy.

I'm not even talking about the guys using trucks like "trucks" every day. I mean guys just like me who daily drive an F-150/Silverado/etc. that use them for weekend projects or towing the boat a dozen times a year. Having more ground clearance has never really been much of a desire for me, as I'm not rock crawling or doing heavy off-road. As long as I can get through a ditch/over minor obstacles or through a low-water crossing, I'm good to go. I don't need it to crab-walk, I don't need it to power my house. I want to be able to reach into the front corner of the bed to grab a cooler I have bungee-corded in there. I don't need armor or shatter-resistant glass, the glass on any vehicle I've ever owned has been fine as-is. Even the spare tire is an extra add-on for the Cybertruck, which I'd definitely want if I were doing all of this overlanding/off-roading they are crowing about. I dunno, it just seems like a big case of form over function, and even worse that it's form designed by people who never set foot out of the urban environment.

I didn't hardly hear a thing in that video that added much capability over the same trucks that have been made for decades. Sure, not having a differential hanging down is a benefit, but it's not really a problem for 90% of truck owners. I don't hear too many Jeep or 4WD truck owners complaining about the 10" ground clearance they already have. Flip up rear bench? Yeah, been standard in all trucks since the 90s. 6-lug wheels? Also pretty standard since at least '04 on F-150s. I think there are benefits to the Teslatruck just due to being EV (driveline simplicity), but nothing about it screamed "more capable" than anything else. Camper/tent additions are pretty common for just about every truck/SUV, so the bed design isn't more condusive to that. Retractable tonneau cover? Again, nothing that hasn't been available as a dealer option for decades. I just really wonder how much Tesla engineers actually went out and rode around with REAL truck owners to see what needed to be improved upon. Having high-beltline and bed sides wasn't a step in the right direction.

It does have some actual real features that are different.
1. Much tighter turning radius. For many people living in/near largo/old metro areas with narrow streets this is really a "killer" feature. But GM lead the way on it, and is brining it back with the Hummer and the Silverado EV.
2. Some cool "factory" options which since completed by the factory are potentially better integrated. Such things like the tail ramp and the bed cover.

Note: I said potentially!

Tim

That front windshield is $2,200 to replace as well. :confused:

It does have some actual real features that are different.
1. Much tighter turning radius. For many people living in/near largo/old metro areas with narrow streets this is really a "killer" feature. But GM lead the way on it, and is brining it back with the Hummer and the Silverado EV.
2. Some cool "factory" options which since completed by the factory are potentially better integrated. Such things like the tail ramp and the bed cover.

Note: I said potentially!

Tim
They got rid of the tailgate ramp last I heard. Lots of additional weight with little benefit. Prototype looked like it wasn't really up to the task of a 4wheeler more than a few times before bending and then being impossible to collapse back into the tailgate again.

GM had the QuadraSteer for a few years before they got rid of it. Not enough demand for the benefit it provided. Even my '95 300ZX had 4-wheel steering, but it's debatable how much functionality it really added.

I don't need it to power my house.
That is one of the best features I didn’t know I needed from an electric car.

Hodged an inverter into the 12v DC-DC converter 5 years ago, and haven’t pulled out the big, noisy generator since.

Live in a rural area with iffy power reliability, and powering the house with the car is awesome.

No more cold house, cold showers, and warm freezers when the power goes out for up to a couple days.

Would do again.

Hodged an inverter into the 12v DC-DC converter 5 years ago, and haven’t pulled out the big, noisy generator since.

Live in a rural area with iffy power reliability, and powering the house with the car is awesome.

No more cold house, cold showers, and warm freezers when the power goes out for up to a couple days.

Would do again.
I'm not arguing that it isn't a nice feature, but it's not what I would call "innovative" as far as the Cybertruck is concerned. The Hybrid and EV F-150 have already been doing it for a while, as do the other Tesla cars. My power is generally pretty stable, so I'm not worried about being able to power the house for a bit. I have a portable generator if I need to run things for a day or two.

I just really wonder how much Tesla engineers actually went out and rode around with REAL truck owners to see what needed to be improved upon.

People who *need* a truck can't be more than a few percent of the truck market.

"But I do projects around the house"

So do I, the few times a year it's necessary I can rent the Home Depot truck for about $25.

"Oh, I tow the boat to the lake"

Pretty much any large SUV can do that unless it's a supertanker of a thing.

The vast majority of the truck market is people who think they look cool because they're cruising around in a boring generic truck.

Edit for clarity: the point I'm making is that to appeal to the majority of the "truck" market, you don't actually need a vehicle that can do proper "truck" tasks. The tiny minority who truly need that capability will buy something else, but the vast majority won't care if you don't offer an 8ft bed etc.

Last edited:

Would do again.

How long would it power your house for? If you drain the battery in the car then you better have another vehicle or you are stuck.

So do I, the few times a year it's necessary I can rent the Home Depot truck for about $25.

The vast majority of the truck market is people who think they look cool because they're cruising around in a boring generic truck.
So why own a big SUV, but not a truck? I don't understand how that solves a problem of towing a boat. My 26' Cobalt runabout weighs close to 7K with trailer, so you're needing a full-size SUV to tow that (Yukon/Expedition) which is no better off to daily drive than a crew cab truck is.

I would be renting a truck from Enterprise/UHaul 30 times a year, assuming that I knew I was going to be needing one far enough in advance to have one available to rent. It's a fun thought-exercise, but I'd rather just know that if I need some plywood/lumber I can hop in the truck and go get it rather than hoping a rental vehicle is there. I don't think the "majority of the truck market" is anything like you say it is, at least here in middle America. Sure, there are plenty of people driving around in full-size trucks that could make do with a smaller truck or SUV. However, let's not pretend that all of the full-size SUVs are a better option, with V8 engines and 3rd rows that never have any occupants in it.

I own a Tesla and a power wall and I’m not familiar with a way to use the car to power the house.

So why own a big SUV, but not a truck? I don't understand how that solves a problem of towing a boat. My 26' Cobalt runabout weighs close to 7K with trailer, so you're needing a full-size SUV to tow that (Yukon/Expedition) which is no better off to daily drive than a crew cab truck is.

I would be renting a truck from Enterprise/UHaul 30 times a year, assuming that I knew I was going to be needing one far enough in advance to have one available to rent. It's a fun thought-exercise, but I'd rather just know that if I need some plywood/lumber I can hop in the truck and go get it rather than hoping a rental vehicle is there. I don't think the "majority of the truck market" is anything like you say it is, at least here in middle America. Sure, there are plenty of people driving around in full-size trucks that could make do with a smaller truck or SUV. However, let's not pretend that all of the full-size SUVs are a better option, with V8 engines and 3rd rows that never have any occupants in it.

I never said that I don't think these people should have trucks (although when they ***** about gas prices it's kind of pathetic).

My point is that to appeal to by far the largest section of the "truck" market, you really don't need a product that has any significant "truck" functionality.

For every truck driving around in middle America doing even mild truck stuff, there's 10 sitting in suburban driveways or city parking garages.

I own a Tesla and a power wall and I’m not familiar with a way to use the car to power the house.
The Cybertruck is the first Tesla which will support this feature. I'm not if it has been activated yet.

---

As far as trucks go, I've never owned one. I've never been interested in owning a truck. Many Americans are quite enthusiastic about then, though.

You can see this in sales stats in the US vs. worldwide. The Tesla Model Y was the best selling vehicle worldwide in 2023. In the US, the Model Y was #2 as the Ford F150 took the top spot.

In the near term, the Cybertruck will only be available in the US.

People that tell me that I don't "need" a truck can go **** in their oatmeal.

My neighbor asked me why I need a truck. I asked them why they need a 35 ft sailboat that stays tied up to the dock 360 days a year.

I haul mulch and landscaping supplies at least once a month. I often load up cans of gas that I would rather not put in a car. Propane tanks and pool chemicals are better off in bins secured with bungee cords in my truck than in a car. Even sacks of charcoal for the BGE are better in the truck than in the car.

And I LIKE having a truck. Maybe not as much as I like having a Bonanza, but still, I'm not giving either of them up because someone tells me I don't NEED one.

Once again, you completely miss my point.
Once again? When was the last time? Normally, I love your posts.

That said, what was your point if it wasn't to disparage those of us that like having trucks without a real, bonafide need?

Once again? When was the last time? Normally, I love your posts.

That said, what was your point if it wasn't to disparage those of us that like having trucks without a real, bonafide need?

As in, you're the second person who did. You may have missed my second post a couple of posts on from the first.

Hopefully my point is clear from that one, but if not then do let me know and I'll try to improve on it. Seems I didn't do a great job in my initial post!

As in, you're the second person who did. You may have missed my second post a couple of posts on from the first.

Hopefully my point is clear from that one, but if not then do let me know and I'll try to improve on it. Seems I didn't do a great job in my initial post!
Ok. After reading your second post I do understand better where you are coming from. I just get a little peeved when people talk about other people's "needs".
When I NEED to cross the pacific, I buy a ticket on an airline. Does that make me a pathetic airplane owner?

When I NEED to cross the pacific, I buy a ticket on an airline. Does that make me a pathetic airplane owner?
Nope! But if you flew yourself and then moaned about the cost, and the lack of toilet facilities, it might ;):D

How long would it power your house for? If you drain the battery in the car then you better have another vehicle or you are stuck.
Yea, it would make sense to not kill the battery if that was the only car I had. Fortunately I have others to choose from and actually thought that through first.

Chevy Volt. 14KWH battery / hybrid.

Primary goal was hot water for a morning shower before work, heat, and not losing food in 2 fridges, without having to run the noisy engine-from-hell generator 24 hours a day while annoying every neighbor.

Roughly copied what these guys are selling.

House seems to idle between 500-800 watts with LED lighting and 2 fridges running. A bit lower during the day when it’s just the fridges.

Stove, furnace, and water are propane, so just need a bit of electricity to run those.

Have both a 1500w and 3000w inverter I can use. Wired to the 12V trunk battery - DC-DC converter connection. Volt converter seems to be good for 1000 watts or so, so sustained higher draws will run down the car 12V battery to keep up. But we won’t operate the toaster oven and hairdryer for an hour when on Volt power.

We’ve repeatedly run it for a day and a half without fully running the main battery down, but even if that does happen, it will merely cycle the hybrid engine on and off to recharge the main battery. I figure that’s good for a week or more.

Also very useful for a day at the hangar on 110V, where I have no other power and really don’t feel like running the big generator.

The Cybertruck is the first Tesla which will support this feature. I'm not if it has been activated yet.

---

As far as trucks go, I've never owned one. I've never been interested in owning a truck. Many Americans are quite enthusiastic about then, though.

You can see this in sales stats in the US vs. worldwide. The Tesla Model Y was the best selling vehicle worldwide in 2023. In the US, the Model Y was #2 as the Ford F150 took the top spot.

In the near term, the Cybertruck will only be available in the US.
Ford F150 EV will also power a heck of a lot more than my little setup will, as mentioned above.

With the F-150 Lightning EV, Ford's gone a step further. Not only does the Lightning include the 2.4-kW system and eight outlets, but an optional 9.6-kW system ups the count to 11 120-volt outlets and a 240-volt outlet. With between 98 kWh and 131 kWh of power stored in a fully charged battery pack, it's like having seven to nine Tesla Powerwall home batteries sitting in your garage. In a second stroke of genius, Ford came up with a way to turn that massive truck battery into a home battery.

Last edited:

Edit for clarity: the point I'm making is that to appeal to the majority of the "truck" market, you don't actually need a vehicle that can do proper "truck" tasks. The tiny minority who truly need that capability will buy something else, but the vast majority won't care if you don't offer an 8ft bed etc.
We have had that debate a few times before I believe on this forum.
Around me, in the Boston area, premium/luxury trucks appear to be in the super minority compared to basic and work trucks. What we need is some actual data. and not anecdotes.

With that said, anecdotally, based on the replies on this thread; most pickup truck owners on here, seem to have an actual use for one. Me, I want one, but have only a limited use for one. Why do I want one is easy. My first "personal" vehicle was a one ton Chevy long bed pickup with a big block engine and a 6 pack racing carburetor on it. Ah, that was a fun truck.

Tim

Depends on how much you want to run. If it's just lights, fridge and Internet (i.e. power outage scenario), you're looking at about 1-1.5kWh per day. Cybertruck ought to be able to do that for 100 days. Add on a chest freezer and a gas furnace and it's maybe double the load (half the endurance).

However, cars/trucks that have the ability to power your house also have the ability to set a minimum level to which it will discharge. So if you discharge from 75% down to 25%, then you'll get half the endurance. But then when it gets down to 25%, you just drive to a DC fast charger and hang out for 20-40 minutes while it recharges back up to 80%.

For what it’s worth, I agree it’s a bad idea in general. But I can see the advantage of being able to do it under specific circumstances.
California, predictably, wants to make it mandatory that the citizen's EVs can be plugged into the grid to power the state when the utilities can't. There is a LOT wrong with this article, not the least of which is the author's belief that EVs can provide the state with an almost unlimited supply of clean energy. https://www.sfchronicle.com/opinion...fornia-electric-vehicle-blackout-18331565.php

There is a LOT wrong with this article, not the least of which is the author's belief that EVs can provide the state with an almost unlimited supply of clean energy.
I read the article and saw absolutely no suggestion by the author that EVs are an primary energy supply, rather than a means of energy storage. Can you point out what you're referring to?

They're not saying the batteries are the primary power source, rather that they can eliminate primary power sources other than wind and solar, while solving problems with California's fragile electrical grid. Overlooking that wind and solar only meet 1/3 of California's electrical needs, and that same fragile grid would still be needed to move power to and from the EVs.

Some quotes from the link are below:

Nancy Skinner’s bill, SB233. This legislation will require most new electric vehicles sold in California to be bidirectional by 2035, laying the foundation for EVs to power homes and businesses, lower our energy bills, clean the air and make the electricity grid more reliable.

With millions of EV batteries storing abundant clean energy during the day and sending that power back to the grid during peak hours, we can finally say goodbye to gas plants and the thousands of noisy, dirty diesel generators that have been purchased in recent years. (Uh...peak hours are during the day)

Even better, EVs are “batteries on wheels” that can be moved where they’re needed most during heat waves, fires and associated power shutoffs, like backing up hospitals, schools, fire stations and community cooling centers.

What’s more, making EVs bidirectional typically costs only a few hundred dollars per vehicle and gives owners a chance to save on their electricity bills, so it won’t put electric cars out of reach for middle-income and low-income families. (the economic logic of that was well-captured by the graphic @Bob Noel posted above)

Back