Tesla Model 3 - Finally.

I'm not pining for an all electric car.. at least not yet.

We'll get there, but as of today I'd have some anxiety if a Tesla were my only car

EV cars are the future, so I am paying attention. Some day they will meet my needs. Right now I don't have a need for a expensive car to run errands in town. I put 5000 miles on my truck last year, and it has been paid for since 2010.

There is a EV charging station at the BW hotel at the intersection of the road I live on and old Rt 66. Seems like everytime I pass it there is 2-4 cars hooked up. The drivers/passengers are outside, smoking, looking at their cell phone, or just laying in the grass, waiting. Hoping the cookie cutter cars soon go to something that looks more stylish...

I don't get why people feel the need to declare "x is the future". Electric cars are kinda cool, but I sure as hell hope they are not the pinnacle of transportation in our life times. Would be pretty pathetic, frankly.

EVs shouldn’t replace ICE completely. The future should be a variety of power options with EVs just being one of them.

I always thought (incorrectly it seems, Toyota too) that hydrogen or some other fuel cell would be the future. The mining costs and effort for lithium, their heavy weight, tiny energy density - always made them seem like they'd be dead on arrival. But here we are!

My only hope is we don't degrade

I always thought (incorrectly it seems, Toyota too) that hydrogen or some other fuel cell would be the future. The mining costs and effort for lithium, their heavy weight, tiny energy density - always made them seem like they'd be dead on arrival. But here we are!

Hydrogen isn't terribly energy dense, either, even if you could store it as a liquid (you can, but it's very cold). The current crop of EVs have better range than you can get from hydrogen. The advantage hydrogen has is that the tank can be filled quickly. The infrastructure for EVs mostly exists because there are electric wires everywhere. Hydrogen- never really got a chance to get any infrastructure built. Henning had similar thoughts but the math didn't work out.

Just as an update on the lithium front, there has been quite a bit of progress made on getting it from the ocean floor by essentially vacuuming it up using surface ships and equipment commonly used with offshore drilling ops. Might be a cheaper/more environmentally friendly way to get some of those minerals that are tougher to extract on land.

That leaves out many people who have cars in the city.
To that point, our building has EV charge bays - but it was built in 2017/2018, and, they're full and I'm not sure everyone in the building with an EV has access to it. Many of the 'older' (but still lux multimillion dollar condos) do not have any EV charging infrastructure

The Volt paradigm seems a good gap. Unlike planes hybrids do make actual sense in vehicles. Charge when you can, use electricity when you can, regenerate when you can - and have the gas when you either can't charge or don't have the freedom to spend 45 minutes (for a partial charge, if you find a high speed charger) at an EV charge bay on your road trip.

I'm also surprised (though not really) that battery packs weren't standardized and can't be swapped out at fill stations. Imagine you pull into a bay, stop atop the designated area, and out pods the old battery and in the new. Imagine if everyone dyno-fuel car had it's own slightly special gas and way to fill it and special stations to go to. That's part of the reason gas stations so ubiquitously took off as every car has the same receptacle and drinks virtually the same stuff

Hydrogen isn't terribly energy dense, either, even if you could store it as a liquid (you can, but it's very cold). The current crop of EVs have better range than you can get from hydrogen. The advantage hydrogen has is that the tank can be filled quickly. The infrastructure for EVs mostly exists because there are electric wires everywhere. Hydrogen- never really got a chance to get any infrastructure built. Henning had similar thoughts but the math didn't work out.
True.. and separating hydrogen from water ain't exactly the easiest thing to do.

maybe Ford will relaunch the nucleon?
upload_2022-9-29_20-39-0.png

Just as an update on the lithium front, there has been quite a bit of progress made on getting it from the ocean floor by essentially vacuuming it up using surface ships and equipment commonly used with offshore drilling ops. Might be a cheaper/more environmentally friendly way to get some of those minerals that are tougher to extract on land.
presumably we'll continue to improve the ability to recycle these things too..

…I'm also surprised (though not really) that battery packs weren't standardized and can't be swapped out at fill stations.…

Have you looked at the number/sizes of 12V automotive batteries? Sure, the ICE equivalent may he the gas tank, but that equivalency stops at being fuel storage. I reckon some these packs in not already structural, will be.

Add to it high voltage (400+ V) and it starts to make sense why the average owner shouldn’t be jacking around with the battery packs. Granted, it’s DC, but that’s still high voltage.

Then there’s the liability of a station handing out a bad pack that goes thermal and burns down a house or parking garage. Unintended consequences.

Speaking of, time for a cigar.

friend of mine spent $14 for 75 miles of range at a supercharger the other day
Hmmm... when I last used the Grapevine Texas, I paid less than $12.00 for nearly 270 miles. Which was 13% to 100% SoC for my Model 3. Copy of invoice attached

96F50750-0AEC-4545-9E28-450881A16733.jpeg

Why? Every Tesla comes with a J1772 adapter. A replacement costs $50 if you lose it. Every pin on that map was either a J1772 or Tesla plug.

Tesla has just started selling the CCS1 adapter in the US which allows newer Teslas to DC fast charge on non-Tesla DC fast chargers (there are 19 such networks in the US). Here's the map of just the CCS1 DC fast charging stations in that same area. One is currently under construction in Covington, just 9.5 miles from Sidnaw.

View attachment 111074

Not enough information to answer. The "real range" varies, most significantly, with speed. Are you driving 45, 55, 70, 85? Is the elevation mostly level? If you need to stretch your range, slow down 5 or 10mph.

The battery charges fastest when its state-of-charge (SoC) is low. As the SoC increases, the rate-of-charge decreases. When making a road trip which requires DC fast charging along the way, the fastest way to get where you're going is to keep the battery in the 5% to 70% SoC range. You might end up making an extra stop, or two, but the total time spent charging will be less. Using this approach, most charging stops will be between 10 minutes and 30 minutes. If you're SoC is relatively low, you can add up to 200 miles in about 15 minutes.

To get a feel for how different EVs would handle a road trip that you're likely to make, run some examples on www.aBetterRoutePlanner.com. You can pick your car and set all of the parameters to see how it would perform. Start at 100% from your home then each stop along the way you'll charge enough to make it to your next stop with a comfortable reserve. If you're eating, etc., let the car continue charging. If you're waiting for the car, leave when it says you'll have your desired reserve at your next planned stop.

Talk to Kent. He's the one that said the Tesla couldn't make it back to the charging station from Sidnaw.

That leaves out many people who have cars in the city.
It does today, but there are long lines of people waiting months to get a new EV as the manufacturer's can't keep up with demand. We can't make enough for everyone yet.

There are a number of good charging solutions for apartments, condos, and parking garages. If I were looking to live in such a building, accessible EV charging would be one of my must have criteria. Those properties exist and the number of them is rapidly growing.

There are relatively few EV batteries in need of recycling at this point. EVs haven't been around long enough for many of them to reach their end-of-life. There are a number of companies preparing to recycle the battery when that day arrives. One was started by a former Tesla exec who left to do this.

https://www.canarymedia.com/article...-costly-these-five-startups-could-change-that

Yes, and maybe move to other battery chemistries that are less harmful than lithium. Sodium based batteries are being tested, as well as some elements, that can have give up more than one electron easily. may improve energy density. Some of those elements are fairly abundant.

@Larry in TN

That does not seem correct.
Yes, and maybe move to other battery chemistries that are less harmful than lithium. Sodium based batteries are being tested, as well as some elements, that can have give up more than one electron easily. may improve energy density. Some of those elements are fairly abundant.

Actually in the auto industry they are starting to move to LFP (Lithium Iron Phosphate). The weight and density penalty has come down significantly compared to just a few years ago. Tesla, GM and I think VW have all had PR about it. The switch is driven by cost more than anything. It also is now the most common chemistry in EVs in China according to a BYD PR.

Tim

@Larry in TN

Actually in the auto industry they are starting to move to LFP (Lithium Iron Phosphate). The weight and density penalty has come down significantly compared to just a few years ago. Tesla, GM and I think VW have all had PR about it. The switch is driven by cost more than anything. It also is now the most common chemistry in EVs in China according to a BYD PR.

Tim
You are correct, but I'm talking several years from now. Some of these new-fangled batteries may well fail on the way to market.

Actually in the auto industry they are starting to move to LFP (Lithium Iron Phosphate)./QUOTE]
Not sure what doesn't seem correct. Nothing was quoted.

The Tesla Model 3 RWD has an LFP battery.

@Larry in TN

Lol, I missed removing that statement. That was a from a previous post I started; where you showed green points on a map from plugshare stating level 2. But I was feeling lazy and did not want to verify the information enough to actually ask an intelligent question.

Tim

Lol, I missed removing that statement. That was a from a previous post I started; where you showed green points on a map from plugshare stating level 2. But I was feeling lazy and did not want to verify the information enough to actually ask an intelligent question.
Well, if you feel more energetic later, go to www.PlugShare.com and you can pull up the same data and get details about each station.

Well, if you feel more energetic later, go to www.PlugShare.com and you can pull up the same data and get details about each station.

I could not tell from the image you posted. But there are public DC charges also available, not just level 2. But that is a minor nit pick.

Tim

There are a number of good charging solutions for apartments, condos, and parking garages. If I were looking to live in such a building, accessible EV charging would be one of my must have criteria. Those properties exist and the number of them is rapidly growing.
Not likely to happen in my building, which is a 9-unit condo, built in about 1980, and filled with older folk, except for one young couple. The problem would not only be to run lines to everyone's space, but to run lines from everyone's individual meter. Otherwise people would be charging off the common HOA paid electric circuit, which would cause conflict between those that do and those that don't.

I could not tell from the image you posted. But there are public DC charges also available, not just level 2. But that is a minor nit pick.
The orange pins are DC fast chargers. The green pins are Level 2 destination chargers.

Not likely to happen in my building, which is a 9-unit condo, built in about 1980, and filled with older folk, except for one young couple. The problem would not only be to run lines to everyone's space, but to run lines from everyone's individual meter.
It doesn't have to be done that way and you don't need one at every parking spot as, for the next decade or two, not everyone will have an EV. You can put in Chargepoint, Blink, EVGo, etc., chargers, with circuit sharing. Each owner activates the charger with an app and is billed directly for the power provided. The property can set the fees. You can start out with some pad in the fees to pay for the installation then, once it's paid, lower the fees to break even or even allow free charging. The free option would more likely be used at a business that is using the charger(s) to attract customers. It's also used by governments, at government buildings, to provide free charging paid by the taxpayers (can't say I like that idea), or a business that provides free, or discounted charging, as an employee benefit. It's very flexible.

I suspect there will be installation of charging locations in fits and starts (no pun). As charging spots get heavily used, eventually more will be created.

I'm way too lazy, but it would be interesting to chart number of EVs vs number of charging locations over time and also geographic areas.

It doesn't have to be done that way and you don't need one at every parking spot as, for the next decade or two, not everyone will have an EV. You can put in Chargepoint, Blink, EVGo, etc., chargers, with circuit sharing. Each owner activates the charger with an app and is billed directly for the power provided. The property can set the fees. You can start out with some pad in the fees to pay for the installation then, once it's paid, lower the fees to break even or even allow free charging. The free option would more likely be used at a business that is using the charger(s) to attract customers. It's also used by governments, at government buildings, to provide free charging paid by the taxpayers (can't say I like that idea), or a business that provides free, or discounted charging, as an employee benefit. It's very flexible.
Can't see any of that happening in this particular building, or in similar ones. When you say "the property" can do this and that, "the property" is the nine owners in a self managed building, none or whom want to put much effort into anything. I'm including myself with attitude too. I would feel differently if it was my own single family house. This is in a city where I see a lot of electric cars. Don't know where they are charging, though.

I don’t think they’ll ever get widely adopted until the charging infrastructure gets updated and charging times to 5 minutes, not 30 minutes. My car works for me because 1) I charge at home and 2) I don’t do road trips. It’s obvious that there are a lot of apartment / condo situations that’ll never work for a lot of people. And while the current charger network works (barely) for 1 % of EVs on the road, no way it’s capable of supporting a majority of EVs vs ICE.

Last edited:
Can't see any of that happening in this particular building, or in similar ones. When you say "the property" can do this and that, "the property" is the nine owners in a self managed building, none or whom want to put much effort into anything. I'm including myself with attitude too. I would feel differently if it was my own single family house.
If the owners don't want it then why would they add it?

If a person with an EV is looking for a condo, they'll skip yours and look for one with charging.

This is in a city where I see a lot of electric cars. Don't know where they are charging, though.
Mostly, at home.

If the owners don't want it then why would they add it?
Just pointing out the problems if a smaller fraction than the majority wants charging but the others don't. Then there are the many people who have no garage space and use street parking.

Then there are the many people who have no garage space and use street parking.
It's not a problem. There are solutions to that, too. It will be a couple of decades before the majority of cars are EVs. For now, there will be plenty of properties that have, or will add, EV charging for those who own them. People who want an EV will find apartments and condos that have charging. Condos and apartments will install charging to meet the demand.

How did that Tesla trip work out for going to 6Y9 this year?

Since my work schedule dictated that it would be a day trip, no car was going to make the trip. If I could have stayed overnight Fri-Sun then we'd have done it.

There wasn't 220 available. Turns out the time to charge the car to get back to a supercharger was going to take longer than the time he would have been there.

Talk to Kent. He's the one that said the Tesla couldn't make it back to the charging station from Sidnaw.

That is not true at all. I'll post the entire (relevant part of the) conversation below. EVs are most convenient when they're charged at your origin/destination, so that was the thing I was planning on first. I also thought that the camper spots over by the lodge had both the TT30 (30A 120VAC) and NEMA 14-50 (50A 240VAC) plugs; both are commonly used by RVs. That would be ideal as the 14-50 plug is exactly what I have in my garage for the cars and I already own multiple adapters to charge cars from them.

Alas, my memory was incorrect, as verified by Brad, and I commented that a full charge from 0-100% in my car on a 15A 120V plug would take 4 days. In reality, it's about 2.5 days. That's when I *started* looking for a Supercharger up there. There's one in Marquette. Easy peasy. If I used that, I'd have had plenty of charge to make it to Sidnaw, drive people around while there, and make it back. Twice.

The conversation:

K: ...I'm going to tentatively plan on it being a road trip for the moment... we'd need to plug in the car at one of the campsites
D: Can you use 110 for your car?
K: I can theoretically use 110 for my car, but it'd take 4 days to charge. :rofl: With the 240V camper plug, maybe 8 hours.
D: There is nothing available in 220, so I'm not sure what the answer is. The camper hookups near the station were 110.
K: Interesting. I could have sworn they had both. I'll see if there's anywhere else I could charge along the way.
K: It looks like there are Tesla Superchargers in Escanaba and Marquette, so I should be fine.

Uncheck everything except the Tesla plug and report back.

Yeah, changes things doesn't it.

No. Tesla includes the J1772 adapter with all their cars. I am still using my non-Tesla charger at home - I'm on my fifth electrified vehicle now (Ford Fusion Energi PHEV, BMW i3 BEV, Chevy Volt PHEV, Chevy Bolt BEV, Tesla). I bought a second J1772 adapter to carry with me so I can just leave the original one on the charger at home. I still haven't used the second one. I also haven't used the Tesla mobile connector that, along with the standard NEMA 5-15 plug, came with the car, nor have I used the NEMA 14-50 adapter I bought for it. But I have a lot of options! I don't even bother carrying three other adapters I built along the way.

Basically, I can plug into numerous types of 120VAC and 240VAC plugs, or I can plug into the standard J1772 EV plug at a public charger, or I can plug into a Tesla charger. I'm not going to buy adapters for the CHAdeMO or SAE-CCS plugs as they're more expensive and I haven't used most of the stuff I have! But the bottom line is, the Tesla can plug into any EV charger except CHAdeMO and CCS with the one adapter that they include from the factory, and the Supercharger network is far more built out (and more reliable) than any of the CHAdeMO and CCS stuff anyway, so it's no problem at all to plug it in.

I thought that once upon a time as well. It turns out that by the time you take energy, use it to make hydrogen, transport/store the hydrogen, put it in a car, and make it back into electricity, it's about 3x more efficient to just use a battery to store the electricity.

The Volt paradigm seems a good gap. Unlike planes hybrids do make actual sense in vehicles. Charge when you can, use electricity when you can, regenerate when you can - and have the gas when you either can't charge or don't have the freedom to spend 45 minutes (for a partial charge, if you find a high speed charger) at an EV charge bay on your road trip.

In the case of the apartment with no charging infrastructure scenario, a plain hybrid is better than a plug-in hybrid, since carting around the much larger battery of the plug-in tends to make them somewhat less efficient and have gas mileage that isn't as good.

Really, it would make a lot of sense for workplaces to offer charging as well, and many do.

I'm also surprised (though not really) that battery packs weren't standardized and can't be swapped out at fill stations. Imagine you pull into a bay, stop atop the designated area, and out pods the old battery and in the new.

Tesla actually did offer that in the early days. The Model S is capable of having its battery swapped for another one in about 90 seconds!!! And they opened up a Tesla battery-swap station at Harris Ranch (about halfway between LA and SF).

Turns out, almost nobody did it. They'd plug in at the Supercharger and grab a steak... So Tesla shut down the battery-swap station several years ago.

I don’t think they’ll ever get widely adopted until the charging infrastructure gets updated and charging times to 5 minutes, not 30 minutes. My car works for me because 1) I charge at home and 2) I don’t do road trips. It’s obvious that there are a lot of apartment / condo situations that’ll never work for a lot of people. And while the current charger network works (barely) for 1 % of EVs on the road, no way it’s capable of supporting a majority of EVs vs ICE.

For the same reason that most airports don't have mogas. Or charging stations. It doesn't make sense to put in more infrastructure than the market needs. Charging stations are being built out at least reasonably in line with demand.

Just pointing out the problems if a smaller fraction than the majority wants charging but the others don't. Then there are the many people who have no garage space and use street parking.

In Oslo, they put chargers on the street light poles. That seems like a great solution, and solutions will be needed for those who are in multi-unit dwellings and/or have to park on the street. It won't remain an obstacle forever, though.

Harris Ranch
Incidentally, this is a really cool little airport as well.. we stopped there a few years ago on our way back from Mammoth. It did require a small detour but was well worth it

That's pretty interesting on the battery pack swap out..!

I thought I had better pictures from that trip but I guess this is all I have

Screenshot_20221017-170843~2.png
Screenshot_20221017-170845~2.png
Screenshot_20221017-171006~2.png

New feature in the new iPhone app: a button to open the driver’s door.

Not needed in warmer climes. But with winter approaching, apparently the flush door handles can freeze from snow and/or ice. This allows the driver’s door to be popped from the app, bypassing the door handle completely.

Also points out that between OTA system updates and new app features, a Tesla’s usability gets better over time. Nice.

As an aside, our Model 3 is ready for pickup from the body shop after repair from our hit & Run accident. I think we’ve spent in excess of $300 feeding our ICE vehicles in the month or so without the Tesla. Painful reminder of how the other half lives!

Not needed in warmer climes. But with winter approaching, apparently the flush door handles can freeze from snow and/or ice. This allows the driver’s door to be popped from the app, bypassing the door handle completely.

Wait, what?!? Cool! Does it let me set it to pop automatically when I approach a la Model X? :D

Also points out that between OTA system updates and new app features, a Tesla’s usability gets better over time. Nice.

As an aside, our Model 3 is ready for pickup from the body shop after repair from our hit & Run accident. I think we’ve spent in excess of $300 feeding our ICE vehicles in the month or so without the Tesla. Painful reminder of how the other half lives!

All fun and games until the door itself is frozen shut and you have nothing to pull on to open it.

..wonder how much current draw it would require to keep the door handle area at just above freezing when conditions dictate, IE, if ambient < 0*C then heat door handles to 1*C..

Back