steveo1kinevo goes into more detail about the FAA coming down on him...

Not surprising ? ... how about accusing him of not following checklists because these were not included in his videos ... stupid , bored bureaucrats - that’s all.

That’s crazy. When they want to come at ya. They are coming at ya.

Hopefully he won't be bothered by the FAA in this way again.
And his flying career has many upsides, too - like the big distraction he talks about at 15:18 into the video. I wonder if his GoPros were running on that flight. ;)

Hopefully he won't be bothered by the FAA in this way again.
And his flying career has many upsides, too - like the big distraction he talks about at 15:18 into the video. I wonder if his GoPros were running on that flight. ;)

If they were we'll never see it. :D

Sounds like Miami put him through the ringer. I don't see how there's much value in plastering these things on YT. I think for this steveo cat the difference was he was actually monetizing his content to the degree it did make a dent on his finances, especially considering he's not getting paid all that much operating TBM single pilot out of S Florida. The second a 709 ride gets brought up, that's when I would have been like eff it, not worth the hassle. But again, most people aren't making the coin this dude is making in putting all those editing hours to his social media channel, so perhaps it was worth the hassle for him.

Oh dear lord... a 709 ride. What exactly did his 709 ride require a demonstration of? Proper use of check lists? YAWN!

I was invited to do a 709 ride after I blew the landing, ripped off my nose wheel, prop strike, etc. My 709 was to demonstrate crosswind landings. We did 4 laps in the pattern and it was over.
Aftermath.jpg

For the record, I was freaked out about needing to do the 709. Some of the best advice I got about it came from a surprising source. Henning.

Oh dear lord... a 709 ride. What exactly did his 709 ride require a demonstration of? Proper use of check lists?
Exactly the reason I think there is more to the story, but won't speculate on whether "more" is about something Steveo did or FAA overreach. Maybe there will someday be a detailed article on it.

Exactly the reason I think there is more to the story, but won't speculate on whether "more" is about something Steveo did or FAA overreach. Maybe there will someday be a detailed article on it.
It could easily be either one. I make to many mistakes to post videos of my exploits on the web. That guy has a brass set to do what he does on social media. At least it seems that way to me because of my personal opinion about engaging is said activities.

I have no idea who this guy is, but I do know that if I have to watch at least 15:18 of his video to get a nugget of info, it's probably not worth my time. Sounds like another FNG getting started in the business and having an ego trip. Of course, since watching the videos aren't worth my time, I might be wrong.

A super pilot like Steveo would never admit why he really got investigated and was required a 709 ride.

I have no idea who this guy is, but I do know that if I have to watch at least 15:18 of his video to get a nugget of info, it's probably not worth my time. Sounds like another FNG getting started in the business and having an ego trip. Of course, since watching the videos aren't worth my time, I might be wrong.
I'm not saying you're wrong, but the clip in question was an aviation podcast where SteveO was a guest. You wouldn't have to listen to 15:18 to get any info. 15:18 was where he told a anecdote of flying some models down in the Caribbean who decided the flight was going to be "clothing optional."

I've only watched a few snippets of a few of his videos, but they're not instructional, just entertainment. Showing people what life is like as a Part 135 operator down in the islands. Did not take it as a FNG having an ego trip.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but the clip in question was an aviation podcast where SteveO was a guest. You wouldn't have to listen to 15:18 to get any info. 15:18 was where he told a anecdote of flying some models down in the Caribbean who decided the flight was going to be "clothing optional."

I've only watched a few snippets of a few of his videos, but they're not instructional, just entertainment. Showing people what life is like as a Part 135 operator down in the islands. Did not take it as a FNG having an ego trip.

Just because he flys 135 does not mean he is not an FNG.

He should get a 709 ride for crossing the gulf and going up the AR's in a TBM full of pax.

Yeah, that was interesting to hear.

I believe that he's been on YT for more than a decade.

He says he has flown “professionally” for 11 years. I guess flying and making videos makes you professional, but a 709 ride tells me he is an FNG who the FAA didn’t suspend because he would be without a paycheck for 1-3 months.

Last edited:
not really sure how this makes him or the flying public any safer. Too bad the FAA didn't spend that same energy going after that fake Marine with a bunch of fake names who killed four people in his twin Cessna.. or the unlicensed guy flying his Mooney in the clouds..

The FAA is, in my opinion, the most pragmatic and well run of the government organizations, but when they go after people like this and our own 6PC I really scratch my head.. ?

I've only watched a few snippets of a few of his videos, but they're not instructional, just entertainment.

I have to disagree with you. His videos aren’t specifically aimed at instruction like Gary Wing or Jason Schappert but they are instructional. I’ve watched most of them and I learn something new on just about every one.

He has explained how the pressurization system works, how he uses the onboard radar, anticipating which approach you will get and how to brief it, how the autopilot works, crosswind landing, and more.

The only thing I can see that the FAA might get upset about is that he doesn’t follow the spirit of 'sterile cockpit' below 10,000'. The only time I saw him use a written checklist was when something went wrong, I think with pressurization, and he referred to the manual to diagnose it. So I can see how the FAA might get upset about that in his Part 135 operation flights but not with the TBM (Part 91).

The irony of course is that it is rumored he makes more money monetizing videos (YT + sponsorship + patreon) than what his part 91/135 gigs net him! LOL. FNG or not, that's not a compliment to that side of the industry in my book but I digress.

The irony of course is that it is rumored he makes more money monetizing videos (YT + sponsorship + patreon) than what his part 91/135 gigs net him! LOL. FNG or not, that's not a compliment to that side of the industry in my book but I digress.

He mention he only flies 5-6 hours per month in the TBM, the Caravan is part time and 1 other plane I cannot remember.
Personally I think it’s great he has 250,000 subscribers, promotes aviation.
Don’t know why some of you are so negative, even after admitting you don’t watch them, I guess that makes you the FOG.
Tom

FNG is a pretty relative term I suppose. After flying for over a decade I would think he wouldn't be considered as such. He seems to be a very knowledgeable, methodical and safe pilot to me.

Considering I have only 10% of the following he does, I'm certain he has motivated many to get their pilot's license. That is a good thing. I've had several people tell me they never considered aviation until watching my videos (which aren't special) and becoming inspired to do so. They've then updated me about their progress and several have solo'ed and several more have gone on to get their PPL. I've also helped several existing pilots (viewers) buy their first airplanes. In my opinion, general aviation can use the promoting regardless if we individually watch others on YouTube or enjoy their channels.

FNG is a pretty relative term I suppose. After flying for over a decade I would think he wouldn't be considered as such. He seems to be a very knowledgeable, methodical and safe pilot to me....
I heard him say a couple of months ago that he has 6,000 hours. That sounds like a respectable amount to me.

I enjoy your videos, also.

There is a lot of good stuff on Utube, ‘how to do’ just about anything is one area I peek at once in a while.

I didn’t watch his videos, but I would run everything through a filter of sorts before it’s posted. That goes for most everything.

The irony of course is that it is rumored he makes more money monetizing videos (YT + sponsorship + patreon) than what his part 91/135 gigs net him!
I wouldn't be surprised. He might actually be making more from his videos, and related activities, than he'd make as an F/O at a Major. He puts up some pretty big numbers on his videos.

Of course, he has costs, too. His video equipment, drone, etc. isn't cheap and a lot of his videos seem like he's "renting" the TBM, Caravan, Cirius, C182, etc., for the video. Interesting topic. YouTube producer is a career that didn't exist that long ago.

I like Steve-o
So do I. He's one of the better ones out there. Pretty solid on procedures and pretty conservative on the safety front. Others of course, will have something negative to say about him, even (especially?) if they are clueless, because that's who they are.

My comment about the 709 ride is because I know they are sometimes merited but other times it is the officially "not enforcement, not punishment" the FAA will use for enforcement and punishment. His comment in the podcast that (paraphrasing) if the FAA wants you to take a 709 ride, you have to, is pretty much spot on.

Last edited:
There is a lot of good stuff on Utube, ‘how to do’ just about anything is one area I peek at once in a while.

I didn’t watch his videos, but I would run everything through a filter of sorts before it’s posted. That goes for most everything.

His videos are more professional than most:
Music tracks
Multiple cameras
Good editing

For someone who got his license in 2012 partly because I watched a few videos, I think it’s good thing.

My plane has been down for 3+ months because my engine is being overhauled, I use videos to fill the void.

Certain POA members seem to be getting more and more negative, especially about anything developed in the last 30 years. Whether it’s bashing SK, or referring apple products as iJunk, and newer avionics in general (maybe anything electronic?).
If you’re flying it means you’re both reasonably healthy and have some disposable income to have an expensive hobby, but yet you still are doing the equivalent of telling us to get of your lawn?

Tom

Back