Run-up on taxi?

ATC_av8er

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
ATC_av8er
Just wondering, after I get my PPL of course, if it was possible to do my run-up on the taxi out to save a little time (and $$$ of course).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Just wondering, after I get my PPL of course, if it was possible to do my run-up on the taxi out to save a little time (and $$$ of course).

Yes, way after you get your license.

dtuuri

Touche. Just wondering if this is standard practice for those experienced pilots.

I think the savings will be negligible. You've probably already spent a good amount on the license. I don't think .1 or .2 extra on hobbs for a run up is going to kill you.

Yes Sir,.. I know my instructor told me to keep my head outside the cockpit during taxi ops but I figured what could it hurt to just do the before takeoff check on the roll......saved me .1 on the Hobbs you know,...that's 15.50. Now how much do I owe you for the taxi edge light and the prop strike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes Sir,.. I know my instructor told me to keep my head outside the cockpit during taxi ops but I figured what could it hurt to just do the before takeoff check on the roll......saved me .1 on the Hobbs you know,...that's 15.50. Now how much do I owe you for the taxi edge light and the prop strike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And that's the key.

When you are moving, eyes go OUTSIDE. No testing, no writing, no programming the GPS, nothing but taxiing.

There is also little point in performing a run up you aren't paying attention to,

I've tried, but it's a no-go for me. Way too fast! Too much going on, adjusting throttle, cycling prop, switching mags and watching the tach, trying to steer, riding the brakes . . . I can do the control checks, that's about it. Trying to set the GPS is a hassle. My normal runup at the hold short takes 2-3 minutes; including taxi, I'm generally in the air in less than 10, and it only takes that long if I have to taxi to the far end for departure.

What does 2 minutes save you on the Hobbs? What would running into something cost? Another plane? a light? just a ditch?

Be smart, spend the extra 2 minutes at the Hold Short.

Of course it's possible. Is it careless or reckless? That's for you to decide, and I presume you think it might be since you asked the question.

Have other aviators done so safely? Yes, but they have enough experience and good enough judgement to determine under what conditions doing so is safe.

FWIW, with the exception of using an anchor or strong dock line, that's the only way a seaplane pilot can do a run up.

Be careful cutting corners simply to save money. It's killed many an pilot with more experience than you.

Trying to do a run-up while taxiing my taildragger RV would be exciting, to say the least.

If you're flying in a crew environment, sure. Solo? Not worth it

It was interesting departing OSH - there was never an opportunity to do a run-up unless you wanted to block the entire line.

Not that it was a good idea, but I will say I didn't see anyone stopping to run up...

Of course, I also saw all types of aircraft departing while a thunderstorm was over the field in 2014...

I do it frequently.

1,700-2,000. Mags. Prop. Vacuum gauge. Electrical output. Scan all engine gauges. Look, feel, and listen. Back to idle.

Everything else is already done while letting the oil temp warm up before taxi.

I do it frequently.

1,700-2,000. Mags. Prop. Vacuum gauge. Electrical output. Scan all engine gauges. Look, feel, and listen. Back to idle.

So when you are running 2000 RPM what do you do to control your taxi speed? Drag the brakes?

I do it frequently.

I don't need to warm up my oil. The Owners Manual says if the engine will run smoothly at full power, it's warm enough to take off. So far, my coldest departure was 8°F, and I was second in line. Taxi length from engine start in front if hangar was less than 1/2 mile.

No, I do not runup while taxiing.

15 years and I still do my run-ups while stationary. I really don't like to have the plane moving while I'm not looking to see where it is going. It doesn't take that long to do the run-up and the extra time on the Hobbs is cheap compared with running into something.

Once you have your ticket, it's up to you, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Cutting corners on safety is a bad way to save money.

I'll do it on occasion if the situation dictates but in general there is no point. My plane is turbocharged and needs 150 degree oil temp before going full throttle so there is no time savings to doing a rolling run up.

I wouldn't do it.
I understand this is a skill seaplane pilots must master.

Do instructors still teach this crap? What's wrong with the run-up pad or ramp? Don't block and delay those who don't need to do one.
Really?? High power on the ramp??

The two minutes you can wait. Most larger airports have either a spot for the runup, or a secondary access to the runway.

Now what if you had a current and appropriately rated pilot in the right seat and allowed him/her to taxi while you did the run-up? For the sake of this discussion, let's also say the right seat toe brakes are present and operational.

Now what if you had a current and appropriately rated pilot in the right seat and allowed him/her to taxi while you did the run-up? For the sake of this discussion, let's also say the right seat toe brakes are present and operational.

I'm trying to wrap my arms around just how that would happen. All I can come up with is its a train wreck.

I do my run-up just before rotation.
You are already full throttle and you have all that room to yourself.

If the right seat pilot has control they should be operating the controls...all the controls including those for the engine. Certainly I wouldn't accept anything less if I was put in that position. And that would seem to make it a tad difficult for the left seat occupant to do a proper run-up.

All in all seems a really poor risk/reward ratio choice to me.

Stationary, and I don't plan on changing that. It's not even a tenth to do the runup, not even half of a tenth(3 minutes)... Not worth the risk of splitting your attention between taxiing and something else, not to mention dragging the brakes.

The ramp I'm hangared at is enormous, I don't do my runup at the hold short line, ever, unless the airport has nowhere else to do it. As long as you're not blasting other aircraft or people, there's no reason to do it anywhere else.

All you guys must have learned to fly in the sunbelt. :)

For those of us who learned to fly in snow country, doing a rolling run up was often the only option, since the brakes won't hold on ice covered taxiways.

I haven't done one since moving to Texas. There's just no real reason, and the time savings is negligible.

All you guys must have learned to fly in the sunbelt. :)

For those of us who learned to fly in snow country, doing a rolling run up was often the only option, since the brakes won't hold on ice covered taxiways.

I haven't done one since moving to Texas. There's just no real reason, and the time savings is negligible.

Or ice, as many flying in and out of Alton Bay (B18) on a cold but sunny winter day discover.

As a mechanic I get to see what happens to brake pads and discs that get dragged like that. It's not pretty and it's not cheap. And I get to see propellers that have been vacuuming the taxiway clean as they're moving along with the nose down (because the brakes are dragging), and then those prop blades aren't pretty nor cheap either.

You might save a few bucks rental, and cost the FBO a whole bunch more. Then the rates go up for everybody.

Another thought, do the run up before the passengers arrive at the airport. That way you can take your time and go through everything, especially if its a rental that you don't fly often, and you don't scare/annoy the passengers if they are not used to flying.

When the passengers arrive, load the plane and go.

Asking the passengers if they remembered to put fuel in the tanks is optional....

I personally would not do a run-up, shut down, restart, and take off without doing another run-up.

My instructor had me do it once or twice during training, and I've done it maybe twice since.

Then, you can use an extra pair of eyes outside.

I routinely fly with three pilots in a light aircraft. If they aren't all engaged in the taxi operation, they get woken up. I only had one problem, once, with a guy who couldn't keep the GPS manual closed.

Taxiing is when you are most likely to bend something. It's not time to relax or be sloppy.

I personally would not do a run-up, shut down, restart, and take off without doing another run-up.

Why?

The restart doesn't affect fuel, mags, controls, or anything else.

You don't even have to do it every flight, though most people will at least check mags. Once per day or per fill-up, whichever is shorter.

I don't do it unless:

1. I have someone qualified in the right seat.
2. I'm on some place with inordinately long and wide taxiways (like IAD).

Otherwise, it's not particularly safe or even advantageous.

Back