Retirement: inside or outside the USA?

Discussion in 'Hangar Talk' started by G-Man, Feb 10, 2020.

1. IK04

IK04 Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    LNXGUY
    Hundreds of years ago, when I was young, my first thought of a place to retire was in a log cabin somewhere Northwest of Helena, MT.

A few years ago, I was weathered in in Helena and had a chance to rent a jeep and drive to the exact area I had dreamed of last Century. I was shocked that it was not covered with tacky "retirement" homes and gift shops. It must be impossible to buy land up there because there were very few houses or structures of any kind, for that matter.
    I think most of the area is a national park or some kind of protected land and there are plenty of cool historic site to visit.

Although I'll never go there to retire, I'm glad to know it is still mostly primitive and has not been ruined by those foreigners from California (yet).

Southpaw likes this.
  2. jordane93

jordane93 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jordan
    They just change their minds every 10 minutes on where to retire. A few years ago it was Scottsdale, then Italy, then Roatan, then going halves in on a home in Costa Rica with my uncle, Panama City Beach, and the latest is Naples. I think they are leaning more towards staying stateside now because they want to be somewhat close to me and my siblings.

denverpilot likes this.
  3. FormerHangie

FormerHangie En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    FormerHangie
    I've never been in a restaurant in the South that didn't have unsweet tea, but I've been in lots of restaurants up north that don't have sweet tea, although it's getting easier to find at least in the mid Atlantic. I think Chick Fil A has something to do with that.

denverpilot likes this.
  4. JOhnH

JOhnH Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Spun Out
    I have had similar experiences. In the South for over 40 years. Almost everywhere, if I ask for iced tea and don't specify they ask me "sweet or unsweet". If I want hot tea, I have to specify Hot.
    Universally in the North if I ask for tea, I get hot with no questions. If I ask for Iced tea, I get a quizzical look and then get a glass of hot tea with an ice cube or two.

It is a myth that in the south people only know sweet tea. Maybe it had some truth a hundred years ago (I don't know that), but no longer.

FormerHangie likes this.
  5. FormerHangie

FormerHangie En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    FormerHangie
  6. IK04

IK04 Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    LNXGUY
    FormerHangie and Morgan3820 like this.
  7. wsuffa

wsuffa Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bill S.
    There is a lot of difference. As chincy as the Medicare reimbursements are, Medicaid is worse.

8. wsuffa

wsuffa Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bill S.
    Lots of Brits retire there. It's a nice country.

Not so easy. As Sluggo mentions, some countries - like Portugal - have inherited citizenship. I think Poland is that way, too, as a friend has dual citizenship that way.

Many countries offer the chance for citizenship after a certain number of years of residency. Portugal is one of the more liberal ones - with a Golden Visa, one can get a resident visa fairly quickly, permanent residency after 5 years, and citizenship after 6 years. Search on Golden Visa for Portugal for more info.

Japan and Switzerland are some of the harder ones. I think Monaco is hard, too. With Switzerland, there was a recents court case about someone who was denied citizenship by the Canton because he didn't know that bears and wolves shared the same enclosure at the zoo.

Yep, getting citizenship in any EU country gives you EU citizenship and eases the process of residency in other countries. Not sure whether it's just EU countries or any Schengen country.

Sluggo63 and weilke like this.
  9. weilke

weilke Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    weilke
    It doesn't give you citizenship of the other EU countries. 'EU citizenship's is a bit of an artificial construct as it doesn't exist without you being a citizen of any of the underlying treaty countries. You are still a citizen of your country, but you have 'EU rights'. That means the 'right of abode', the right to accept employment and you are eligible for government services like a citizen after you reside x years. Your passport still says 'portugal' but you can live in France or Italy if you wish to do so. During the Accession of new countries, EU rights for those residents are somewhat restricted. E.g. during the eastern expansion, the citizens of Bulgaria/Romania still had to seek work permits to accept jobs in germany. There were quotas etc. and it eventually was subject to a sunset provision so now the citizens of the Accession countries have full EU rights.

Practically speaking, if you are a US citizen and your dad was Irish from Ireland and you are able to get an Irish passport, you can move to France or Italy without either country being able to restrict your residency based on a language test etc.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020 at 5:55 PM
  10. Southpaw

Southpaw Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ernest Taft
    Well Bozeman , Missoula, Kalispell, Whitefish, Helena have pretty much been over run . But there are a few areas left with small holding in the near wilderness areas of NW Montana . The Yack is one .

11. IK04

IK04 Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    LNXGUY
    We went to Missoula and immediately noticed the weirdo vibe... Sad to see that happen to a cool town.

12. Southpaw

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ernest Taft
    I
    It was a great place back in the timbering Just a "College town" days.
    My Uncle moved to Alberton After WWII . Ran a Texaco station and was the Hudson Dealer .
    Long time passing .......

13. Southpaw

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ernest Taft
    Another Place over run and sub divided is the Hamilton area south of Missoula .
    Was down there ten years ago . Only one full time farmer left in valley. The rest are growing houses.