Reno midair

Status
Not open for further replies.
... My experience in advanced fighter aircraft is what allows me to comment on this crash. ...
Until you've got 9x championships and a couple decades in the NCAR T-6 Class, no, it doesn't. Several of us in this thread were there when the mishap occurred. Juan Browne's place would more appropriate for your commentary.

As for the rest, you're not the only .mil or even fighter guy on this forum. Might as well seal the deal and open up about being a two patcher with the 422, exactly none of which has anything to do with the mishap at hand.

I've noticed that newcomers to this board are not always welcomed with open arms. This is exacerbated in this case because appeals to authority tend to be viewed as poor form. While there are people here at all levels of experience, those long-timers on this board who happen to be on the high end of that spectrum tend to avoid lording it over the rest of us.

That having been said, could we perhaps dial down the level of personal attacks a bit?

I've noticed that newcomers to this board are not always welcomed with open arms. This is exacerbated in this case because appeals to authority tend to be viewed as poor form. While there are people here at all levels of experience, those long-timers on this board who happen to be on the high end of that spectrum tend to avoid lording it over the rest of us.

That having been said, could we perhaps dial down the level of personal attacks a bit?
I felt welcomed when I joined, and have made many great friends on here. I think the difference is I didn't come in claiming to be God's gift to aviation and demanding that everyone not only hang on my every word, but also thank me lol. Of course, I'm not a pointy-nose jet driver, either :biggrin:

When you say something like, "I’d prefer you call me Viper", no, the personal attacks won't be dialed down. Wiper dug his own grave.

I felt welcomed when I joined, and have made many great friends on here. I think the difference is I didn't come in claiming to be God's gift to aviation and demanding that everyone not only hang on my every word, but also thank me lol. Of course, I'm not a pointy-nose jet driver, either :biggrin:
Not to mention demonstrating superior airmanship with photos. By that I mean, not flying chase on a Mooney, but 0/0 IFR due to oil slick landings.

Last edited:
No kidding, we had a dude named drateR in one of my squadrons.

This may not make sense to you, but for the .mil guys, he got that at his first CAF assignment which was to Korea. He was running up on the cutoff for him to take his mid-tour and had yet to complete MQT. Dude spent less than 3 months CMR there.

I believe it.

But in this case the call sign probably had nothing to do with a venomous snake….

Very Important Person Ego Rising

All caps on the aircrew style name tag, normal case on the forums. Perfect.

No kidding, we had a dude named drateR in one of my squadrons.

This may not make sense to you, but for the .mil guys, he got that at his first CAF assignment which was to Korea. He was running up on the cutoff for him to take his mid-tour and had yet to complete MQT. Dude spent less than 3 months CMR there.
Would it be possible for someone to translate this to english?

It would appear that the people who are investigating the Reno mid-air need to talk to Wiper.

RENO, Nev. (AP) — The mid-air collision that killed two racing pilots in Reno last weekend is confounding aviation experts.

Until you've got 9x championships and a couple decades in the NCAR T-6 Class, no, it doesn't. Several of us in this thread were there when the mishap occurred. Juan Browne's place would more appropriate for your commentary.

As for the rest, you're not the only .mil or even fighter guy on this forum. Might as well seal the deal and open up about being a two patcher with the 422, exactly none of which has anything to do with the mishap at hand.
I am more disappointed than angry when I see all the personal attacks on me and my character. Like I told one of the other bozo's who called me a name, I told him to grow up and act like a man. As far as my callsign and AF service, just back off. I have served and there is a lot of honor running through my veins. This whole discussion turned to my background after I made the comment that Reno races are a sport for the rich. That's my opinion, nothing more.

And VIPER came about during 1991 over Kuwait and Iraq. I flew the F-16. For those of you who know, you know what I am talking about. For guys in my social circle and squadron, VIPER is just what they know. Same thing at the Academy.

Now if you need some education on aerodynamics and what I think of this crash (and how to prevent it happening in the future), I will be glad to give you all a lesson. I have flown thousands of hours in attack aircraft. Went through test pilot school and was an IP for the next gen of our nation's fighter pilots. I am proud of what I have done. Even got my PhD along the way.

I don't expect many of you to have the same level of experience and knowledge that I have. This isn't something you learn overnight. Takes a long time to get to what many would call the apex, and then you just have to keep climbing anyway.

-Viper out...

Last edited:
Now if you need some education on aerodynamics and what I think of this crash (and how to prevent it happening in the future), I will be glad to give you all a lesson. I have flown thousands of hours in attack aircraft. Went through test pilot school and was an IP for the next gen of our nation's fighter pilots. I am proud of what I have done. Even got my PhD along the way.

I don't expect many of you to have the same level of experience and knowledge that I have. This isn't something you learn overnight. Takes a long time to get to what many would call the apex, and then you just have to keep climbing anyway.
Sounds good, how much GA, tailwheel, and round motor time have you accumulated?

…Now if you need some education on aerodynamics and what I think of this crash….
We don’t generally do speculation here, hence the suggestion to share your knowledge at Blancolirio’s space since that’s his focus area. Gryder doesn’t seem to have put anything out at all yet, so he might be willing to hear your speculation and give it an audience.

As for the rest, like I said you’re experience and background ain’t that unique here, despite what you may believe.

I am more disappointed than angry when I see all the personal attacks on me and my character. Like I told one of the other bozo's who called me a name, I told him to grow up and act like a man. As far as my callsign and AF service, just back off. I have served and there is a lot of honor running through my veins. This whole discussion turned to my background after I made the comment that Reno races are a sport for the rich. That's my opinion, nothing more.

And VIPER came about during 1991 over Kuwait and Iraq. I flew the F-16. For those of you who know, you know what I am talking about. For guys in my social circle and squadron, VIPER is just what they know. Same thing at the Academy.

-Viper out...

Whatever you say, Corn Snake.

Don’t be disappointed at anonymous internet communication behavior. I am younger than you but have much much more human-nature experience than you (obviously). This ain’t the place to look for feel-good.

Now if you need some education on aerodynamics and what I think of this crash....

You’re free to share an opinion. Other members may or may not agree with it. Don’t expect to be shown any deference.

As has been pointed out, your (claimed) background isn’t particularly unique around here, though I will admit that bragging about it is somewhat unique.

-Viper out...
What you fail to recognize is that many of us here on POA are current or former military and both your attitude and story come across as complete BS.

You sound more like a stolen valor type than an actual mil aviator.

No quarter will be given to you here.

And BTW, even if you had lots of pointy nose jet fighter time, it has no relevance to this particular accident.

The Reno midair was a traffic pattern conflict between two airplanes with traffic pattern speeds comparable to a Beech Bonanza. Had zero to do with high performance operations.

As has been pointed out, your (claimed) background isn’t particularly unique around here, though I will admit that bragging about it is somewhat unique.
Yup.

"On the Internet, no one knows if you're a dog."

Ahm jist a poor coun'try aviator, but I suspect aerodynamics, jet experience, and the patches on one's flight suit had little to do with this tragedy. Injecting them into the discussion seems a bit bizzare.

Ron "I reckon" Wanttaja
Call sign: Wojo

I need to get my aviator’s match-making business up and running. Viper and Whitney would be perfect for each other.
Whitney. I couldn't remember "her" "name". "She" was a bit more believable and had us going for a while, although there was a little white knighting going on there too.

Whitney. I couldn't remember "her" "name". "She" was a bit more believable and had us going for a while, although there was a little white knighting going on there too.

anyone else get a PM from whitney saying "call me some time" ? but my troll meter was high long before I got that PM. now if she had asked for dikpics, that's another story.

anyone else get a PM from whitney saying "call me some time" ? but my troll meter was high long before I got that PM. now if she had asked for dikpics, that's another story.
Dayumm. All I ever got from her was about 200 likes.

Actually, with apologies to the other present and former military aviators here, I question whether how useful it is, in this case.

Consider: The accident didn't occur while they were racing. It didn't occur during formation flying. It was a midair in the pattern of an uncontrolled airport.

Now, I wonder: If a guy flies F-16s for a living for twenty years, how often does he land the jet at uncontrolled airports? How often does he self-announce his position in the pattern at a non-towered airport, and adjust his flight accordingly?

Not often, I bet. The Navy takes its control towers everywhere, and I believe the Air Force has portable towers.

So, how pertinent is that 20 years of jet fighter flying to this accident?

I do agree that many of my friends here have continued flying the civilian world, and have gained insight. Still, *just* the fact that they flew F-18s or whatever ain't much help in this case.

Ron Wanttaja

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back