Not open for further replies.

FORANE

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
FORANE
Races on hold.
T-6 race accident.
Rumor is one hit other in tail and one went into houses.

Wow. Very, very sorry to hear of this. What an awful ending for Reno.

And I guess we can forget about the races finding a new venue...

it’s been a kick in the balls, for sure.

From the reporting so far: 1 witness: "The T-6s were forming up on their base leg which is right over our head, and I hear a sound unexpected. Race was over-camera stowed, I looked up to see debris from the light colored aircraft fluttering away from the area as the aircraft spiraled nose down approx 500 yards from me. The blue colored T-6, I believe, went nose down just over a hill. So sad." A YouTube live saw the event and reported a tail was severed. Another scanner report: "Debris field by Coyote Run Ct near White Owl. Civilians not injured on scanner report but they’re picking up debris." That is outside the airport boundary fence. This was after the race. The pace plane and the plane with a passenger who won a raffle were not involved and went to an orbit at 7,500 feet. All six planes in the Gold heat finished the race.

Untitlxed-1.jpg

Last edited:
We’re on the field. T-6 gold race was done, everyone had rejoined and landing. Most of the crowd couldn’t see what happened and was waiting for the Unlimiteds silver to taxi out when we heard the emergency vehicles.

No smoke from a fire, but once it got to he a good half hour behind, we all pretty much expected there was a fatality, nobody had any idea how though.

Waiting for NOK before we’ll know which planes were involved. I have an idea, but not saying anything. Racing suspended for now; class pilots will decide whether to continue. Jet gold, sport gold, unlimited gold still left to fly.

I don't follow air racing, but this happened a couple of hours ago and nobody has posted anything yet. Several news stories are out, so far none with more detail than this one, which includes a brief statement from the Reno Air Racing Association. I've never been a fan, but what a sad finale to the Reno races.

HHH

Screen Shot 2022-12-28 at 9.38.21 AM.png

Last edited:
Am I the only one glad to see these races come to an end?

Sad to see this... :(

No, but I don't think it's a net win. I hate the crashes, but I believe that racing is valuable for innovation and I believe that the participants are adults who likely also believe that their sport has value.

Historically two things have really pushed innovation. War and racing. I prefer racing. It's voluntary, mostly peaceful, and the death ratio is lower.

but I believe that racing is valuable for innovation

Maybe true many years ago, but I doubt there’s much useful we’re learning from making old prop planes go faster. The race planes are pretty far removed from, say, an F35.

and I believe that the participants are adults who likely also believe that their sport has value.

This I agree with completely.

Maybe true many years ago, but I doubt there’s much useful we’re learning from making old prop planes go faster. The race planes are pretty far removed from, say, an F35.
The T-6s? Probably not, but the sport classes - there's definitely still stuff being done.

The T-6s? Probably not, but the sport classes - there's definitely still stuff being done.
The bleeding edge of the bleeding edge of technology has always been a dangerous place to be.
How many died to bring us the Jet age? Unfortunately, great rewards often come at great risk to those pioneering it.

The bleeding edge of the bleeding edge of technology has always been a dangerous place to be.
How many died to bring us the Jet age? Unfortunately, great rewards often come at great risk to those pioneering it.

Which, sadly, has nothing to do with landing a T6. This is just sad and tragic. Damn shame.

Which, sadly, has nothing to do with landing a T6. This is just sad and tragic. Damn shame.
Landing a T-6, not so much, but those guys study EVERYTHING to try and make it a tiny bit faster.

Here's an interesting article about Mr. Macy:

Seems like a guy I would've loved to have flown with.

Any practical utility is incidental.
I don't think it's "merely" incidental. The higher the incentive, the more likely people are to invent something, or tweak it. Even those 80 year old T-6s were being cared for and polished, and studied for any way they could improve their aerodynamics, weight and balance, and mechanical advantage. A lot of time and love is put into that. Some of those guys really, really love to tinker and study. The competition just justifies it. I think sometimes the competition justifies the effort.

Maybe not the only one, but I would think in the minority. With no air shows, and no races, if it keeps up the only warbirds you may see are static displays in a museum.

We could all sit on the couch for the rest of our lives too. No more flying our dangerous little airplanes. We make choices and accept risks in life. Sometimes risky activities bring great joy and fulfillment in life.

And car racing? You want to get rid of that too? Motorcycle racing? Bicycle racing?

Where's your line?

And car racing? You want to get rid of that too? Motorcycle racing? Bicycle racing?

Where's your line?
Why can’t we just be honest with ourselves? This “sport” is nothing more than a bunch of rich guys who have just a little too much money, coupled with just a little too much time. It’s entertainment and a competition to see who can be bigger and “badder”.

If you call that innovation, then so be it.

Must there be a practical reason to participate in a dangerous event? To dispute the practical value of a dangerous thing is not to (necessarily) call for its abandonment or destruction.

Sometimes people like to do things because it is fun. There does NOT have to be a greater good behind it. The endorphins pump just fine from racing w/o there being a "This is for innovation sake!" mission behind it.

Innovation in racing is going to come from the high tech races that have current manufacturers behind it. No some race involving 60's era tech.

On another note, someone made the observation that this crash was as bad as every other midair. While that is nice (and to the families, maybe true) this is not the same. This is a crash at a big name race. In the current environment this one could lead to long term effects on the sport and on aviation itself.

Why can’t we just be honest with ourselves? This “sport” is nothing more than a bunch of rich guys who have just a little too much money, coupled with just a little too much time. It’s entertainment and a competition to see who can be bigger and “badder”.

So what? They don’t owe you an explanation of why they do it.

Oh that’s right, “rich man bad”, right?

That’s exactly what a lot of people say about us GA pilots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back