[Rant] Grumpy Old People

I was in Flagstaff for my niece's college graduation yesterday. Afterwards we went to Coco's for dinner. On the menu they had a "55" page which was the menu for the 55 and over crowd. (yes, I qualify but just barely) For the fish and chips the price was $3 less than the normal fish and chips meal on the previous page. I asked what the difference was and the server said "one less piece of fish."

Are 55 and older people expected to eat less?

You went to Flagstaff and ate a Cocos chain restaurant? That was your first mistake. Should have gone to Martanne's for breakfast. If you like Mexican food - which your from Tuscon so that is a given, then you would have loved Martanne's. Best breakfast ever. Mix is another good breakfast place although it is not a sit down style restaurant.

If you like Italian food, go to Fat Olives for dinner. Incredible. Get the warm olives for appetizer and the Rigatoni for dinner. Ask for a side of chile oil. Even if you get a stomach ache is is well worth it :p

Get out of the condo as soon as possible C. Living that close to other humans is a lesson in patience and humility. We had this older couple who lived above us in an apartment who complained about me and my wife/then girlfriend all the time. The walls and floor were so thin we could hear them get out of bed, walk to the bathroom and actually hear the urine hit the water in the bowl. We didn't complain, we understood apartment living. They didn't.

I always thought big speakers and hip-hop were invented just to deal with situations like this.

Maybe not for you, but for others...

BTW, I fit squarely in the category of people that might be considered "old" in this thread.

Don't worry if your under the age of 25 your not old...just kidding :p

You’re first mistake was attempting to be reasonable.

When dealing with crazy, you have to act more crazy.

Standing up, hands on hips, and a thousand yard stare like you are sizing her up, and could either come up there and kill her, or just as easily throw a chicken bone at her, would have been more fun and more effective.

And yes, actually the harpie was that miserable. By arguing with her, you made her day. Nothing else to do but be in your business.

Showed my wife this and she got a kick out of it and laughed out loud.

Listen you young punk. I didn't make the reservation at Coco's, I was just the uncle stupid enough to drive 9 hours yesterday just to fight crowds on graduation day. ;)

Listen you young punk. I didn't make the reservation at Coco's, I was just the uncle stupid enough to drive 9 hours yesterday just to fight crowds on graduation day. ;)

Coco’s? They’re still around? ;)

Well at least you know where to go next time your in town! Those are my recommendations coming from a true Flagstaff country boy!

Yeah, I’ve always found it interesting when ‘old’ pilots say the pilot population is declining and they want to see younger ages get involved and earn their certificates, but then after, they’ll play the other side of the card and act like a prick toward the younger generation. I’ve seen it several times.

Yeah, I’ve always found it interesting when ‘old’ pilots say the pilot population is declining and they want to see younger ages get involved and earn their certificates, but then after they’ll play the other side of the card and act like a prick toward the younger generation. I’ve seen it several times.

Get off my lawn, punk!

Yeah, I’ve always found it interesting when ‘old’ pilots say the pilot population is declining and they want to see younger ages get involved and earn their certificates, but then after, they’ll play the other side of the card and act like a prick toward the younger generation. I’ve seen it several times.

The two things aren’t mutually exclusive. But it does keep the wimps away. :)

The two things aren’t mutually exclusive. But it does keep the wimps away. :)
True and it does, but I will say it was somewhat discouraging when I was 15 or 16 and I’d walk into the FBO and see a group of matured pilots sitting around the table drinking coffee and act extremely condescending when I’d walk in. There was more than one reason why I chose to earn my certificate elsewhere.

Granted, there were a few individuals that hung out there that were friendly, but the majority of them were the opposite. I’m sure it would be different now, since I am a few years older.

True and it does, but I will say it was somewhat discouraging when I was 15 or 16 and I’d walk into the FBO and see a group of matured pilots sitting around the table drinking coffee and act extremely condescending when I’d walk in. There was more than one reason why I chose to earn my certificate elsewhere.

Granted, there were a few individuals that hung out there that were friendly, but the majority of them were the opposite. I’m sure it would be different now, since I am a few years older.

Did you ever think that maybe it was you that was the problem...

being a young punk and all.

Signed,
A matured pilot. :D

This is so true. That said, I’ve found peoples’ online presence tends to be VERY different than how they act in person. Everyone in my hangar row at KDVT is all older guys and they are all super cool and friendly. I think they all like to see a young guy out there and do take an interest in you. My buddy Rod is building an RV14 and I will go over there and hang out, talk crap about the Well (we both work for the same company), etc. My buddy Bob flew F16s for 20 years and is a Captain at Southwest now. Has two kids that are flying. Such a cool dude. A real legend. Total squirrel but awesome guy. I’m not sure why but it seems like a lot of pilots have a short attention span. Lol. Other buddy Barry has a beautiful 182 turbo RG and has flown all over the place in that thing. He even had a dead stick in Colorado and landed in a dirt field next to a marijuana growing facility hahaha that was quite the story. He took off again. Anyways...the list goes on. I haven’t met anyone in person that wasn’t very friendly and inviting towards me.

I’m sure I’ll meet some grumpy fella at some point though. It’s bound to happen.

I haven’t seen anyone sitting around an FBO in twenty years, so it’s not really a problem anymore. LOL.

Have you ever found food leftovers in there? I’m going to guess that you haven’t.

Tom is the best pool guy I ever met. No one cleans a pool like Tom

Come here and I’ll be your tour guide.

???? Do you actually have FBOs where pilots actually still hang out? Kinda impressive if you do, but not surprised it’s not the younger crowd if you do.

Most of them want to spend as little time near the airport as they can, after scheduling flights down to the minute on their mobile devices.

I have never understood why someone would complain about something that's none of their business and not harming anyone.

???? Do you actually have FBOs where pilots actually still hang out? Kinda impressive if you do, but not surprised it’s not the younger crowd if you do.

Most of them want to spend as little time near the airport as they can, after scheduling flights down to the minute on their mobile devices.
Yep, one of the FBO’s here still has a gaggle of older pilots who sit around and drink coffee. It’s their version of ‘Hangar Talk’ if you know what I mean.

Have you ever found food leftovers in there? I’m going to guess that you haven’t.
I'll take that as you've never seen a public pool filter or what gets caught in them.
Because if you had you wouldn't be ridiculing me.

BTW, I fit squarely in the category of people that might be considered "old" in this thread.

BS.

Ladies don’t grow old, they mature. Conversely, we men don’t mature, we just grow old.

Unfortunately the OP seems to have encountered a femme that had matured all the way to senility.

I'll take that as you've never seen a public pool filter or what gets caught in them.
Because if you had you wouldn't be ridiculing me.
Not intending to ridicule, I just wouldn’t imagine that leftover food would be nestled in there, as it wouldn’t mix well being submerged in water. Hair and such, I could see as being common things to find.

Last edited:
I have never understood why someone would complain about something that's none of their business and not harming anyone.

Amen brother. I guess because they can.

Yep, one of the FBO’s here still has a gaggle of older pilots who sit around and drink coffee. It’s their version of ‘Hangar Talk’ if you know what I mean.
Our morning coffee meeting was held at the airport, until we got bitched at. now the kids that were chatting learning with us, can't.

BS.

Ladies don’t grow old, they mature. Conversely, we men don’t mature, we just grow old.

Unfortunately the OP seems to have encountered a femme that had matured all the way to senility.

Never thought I’d meet a Lockheed guy that agreed with me. LOL! Just kidding!

Not intending to ridicule, I just wouldn’t imagine that leftover food would be nestled in there, as it wouldn’t congeal well being submerged in water. Hair and such, I could see as common things to find.

Tom goes against the grain because he can and gets a kick out of it. :p

Our morning coffee meeting was held at the airport, until we got bitched at. now the kids that were chatting learning with us, can't.
What happened?

At my advanced age, seems almost everybody else who hangs out around my airport is a young punk by definition. ;)
Mostly they hang out at the flying club cafe or the upstairs lounge.

This is supposed to be how it works. A highly refined graph I’ve been working on my whole life.

2f344a8600318341578a8aa1cdd627f3.jpeg

Geez, first with eating kale shet, now this. Yeah git outa here with that shet too.

I haven’t seen anyone sitting around an FBO in twenty years, so it’s not really a problem anymore. LOL.

Busy airport but no one hangs out at the FBO except one old fella who lost his wife and he's harmless, except for repeating shet he just said a minute or two ago.

Think theyre all down drinking beer at their hangars.

Last edited:
I am at the transitional age where I can see both sides and unfortunately I am becoming a pessimist so you're both wrong.

Now at 41 with a house in peaceful suburbia and a family, my blood boils when the jackass kids go driving their big diesel trucks up and down the street and do whatever it is they do that makes the engine sound like its about to come apart and spew the black smoke. They really **** me off.

Life is funny how you look back and realize you used to be a dumbass too and nobody was impressed with your ability to insert yourself into their bubble of awareness.
OP wasn't doing that but Murphy's comment reminds me of my perception of myself in my 20s and my perception of people in their 20s now. (not all of them. Just the ones on my street)

You have two airplanes at age 41, man, I did something wrong!

Back