[Rant] Grumpy Old People

CC268

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
CC268
My wife and I had a few friends over for a BBQ (four friends to be exact) at our condo. We go down to one of the community pools to grill some burgers and BBQ drumsticks.

So after grilling everything up, we hang out near the pool (it was a beautiful day) and my wife has her feet on the pool steps while eating. My friends and I were eating at a table near the pool. So while sitting outside eating, these two ladies (one was probably 60s-70s, the other was probably in her 50s) come out onto their balcony which directly overlooks the community pool. The older lady immediately says to the other lady, "Wow she is eating in the pool! She should NOT be eating in the pool. She should be eating at the table." She said it in the most condescending voice and she clearly said it loud enough so that we could all hear her. I almost couldn't believe what I was hearing. So...they continue to talk about my wife sitting at the pool. We were doing NOTHING wrong. We were quiet, we weren't being obnoxious, we weren't playing music, we were minding our own business, eating food with some friends and enjoying the weather.

I let it go for a while, but it started to really **** me off that these idiots had nothing better to do than to sit there and antagonize my wife in the most passive aggressive manner. I finally had enough...I got out of my chair, walked towards the balcony and said, "Are you really so miserable that you feel the need to sit there and antagonize my wife about eating at the side of the pool?" We proceeded to have probably a solid 5 minute argument about this. I said a few things such as, "If you really had an issue with her eating at the pool, could you not have politely said it to her face?" This lady was a nut job. The funniest part was this ladies husband came out on the patio and didn't say a word while we had this argument. Poor soul. At one point she said, "you guys probably don't even live here". Which is funny because you need a key to get IN AND OUT of the fricken pool area. I told her I lived there and she could gladly come see me in #2171. She says, "why would I do that? I don't want to see you". I said, "good cause I don't want to see you either." LMAO. Damn this was like an episode of Jerry Springer.

I tried to keep the argument intellectual and logical, but this nut job of a lady didn't have any logic. I mean are you kidding me? My wife wasn't even in the pool! She had her feet in the pool and had her plate over the pool deck. Why the heck were we even having an argument about this? Don't you have like a puzzle or Scrabble or bingo or something to be playing? Maybe she forgot to take her meds? Damn..wish I would have remembered that one...she would have got a real kick out of that line.

At one point she made some comment about my generation or young kids or some BS like that. I literally asked her, "so what are you gonna do? call the cops on us?" She said she might. I said, "good cause they won't do a damn thing." I'd had enough of this ladies BS and told her to go back into her house. I admit I shouldn't have said that, but I was in the heat of battle.

Oh and to add to the story. So the second lady that was up there on the balcony. I am not sure if this lady was the older ladies daughter, friend, etc. About half way through the argument this lady actually started to agree with what I said and was trying to get the older lady to sort of back off. It was a beautiful moment...almost as if...I was a reasonable human being!

So the whole reason I decided to post this here, is that the whole time I was arguing with this lady I kept thinking about PoA. I was like WOW, this is just like some of those folks on PoA who love to argue over nothing! LMAO.

I just wish older folks would stop stereotyping anyone under the age of 30. Were not all horrible people.

I wanted to leave this song here to remind you older folks that us younger folks aren't all that different from you.

Here's to grumpy old people and miserable human beings. Cheers.

Last edited:
Ummm, you were the one arguing. As a rant this rates a -10. This was more of a diatribe about entitlement, privilege and the loss of freedom from alternative points of view in an apartment complex environment. In the end the ranter can’t disassociate real life from a social media website. Drug treatment probably won’t help. The ranter might need to go cold turkey from all social media.

My wife and I had a few friends over for a BBQ (four friends to be exact) at our condo. We go down to one of the community pools to grill some burgers and BBQ drumsticks.

So after grilling everything up, we hang out near the pool (it was a beautiful day) and my wife has her feet on the pool steps while eating. My friends and I were eating at a table near the pool. So while sitting outside eating, these two ladies (one was probably 60s-70s, the other was probably in her 50s) come out onto their balcony which directly overlooks the community pool. The older lady immediately says to the other lady, "Wow she is eating in the pool! She should NOT be eating in the pool. She should be eating at the table." She said it in the most condescending voice and she clearly said it loud enough so that we could all hear her. I almost couldn't believe what I was hearing. So...they continue to talk about my wife sitting at the pool. We were doing NOTHING wrong. We were quiet, we weren't being obnoxious, we weren't playing music, we were minding our own business, eating food with some friends and enjoying the weather.

I let it go for a while, but it started to really **** me off that these idiots had nothing better to do than to sit there and antagonize my wife in the most passive aggressive manner. I finally had enough...I got out of my chair, walked towards the balcony and said, "Are you really so miserable that you feel the need to sit there and antagonize my wife about eating at the side of the pool?" We proceeded to have probably a solid 5 minute argument about this. I said a few things such as, "If you really had an issue with her eating at the pool, could you not have politely said it to her face?" This lady was a nut job. The funniest part was this ladies husband came out on the patio and didn't say a word while we had this argument. Poor soul. At one point she said, "you guys probably don't even live here". Which is funny because you need a key to get IN AND OUT of the fricken pool area. I told her I lived there and she could gladly come see me in #2171. She says, "why would I do that? I don't want to see you". I said, "good cause I don't want to see you either." LMAO. Damn this was like an episode of Jerry Springer.

I tried to keep the argument intellectual and logical, but this nut job of a lady didn't have any logic. I mean are you kidding me? My wife wasn't even in the pool! She had her feet in the pool and had her plate over the pool deck. Why the heck were we even having an argument about this? Don't you have like a puzzle or Scrabble or bingo or something to be playing? Maybe she forgot to take her meds? Damn..wish I would have remembered that one...she would have got a real kick out of that line.

At one point she made some comment about my generation or young kids or some BS like that. I literally asked her, "so you gonna call the cops on us?" She said she might. I said, "good cause they won't do a damn thing." I'd had enough of this ladies BS and told her to go back into her house. I admit I shouldn't have said that, but I was in the heat of battle.

Seriously, if this lady politely asked that my wife eat at the table it would have been a different story. I mean, lets be real here...that lady has probably never even been in that pool and all of a sudden she is concerned that some burger grease contaminates the water?

So the whole reason I decided to post this here, is that the whole time I was arguing with this lady I kept thinking about PoA. I was like WOW, this is just like some of those folks on PoA who love to argue over nothing! LMAO.

I just wish older folks would stop stereotyping anyone under the age of 30. Were not all horrible people.

Here's to grumpy old people and miserable human beings. Cheers.

I wanted to leave this song here to remind you older folks that us younger folks aren't all that different from you. Too bad this song isn't titled, "Old Woman"

Some times we have learned things that we hope you can learn from us with doing it the hard way.

And I've never been to a pool that didn't have rules about not having food near the pool.
she might have been correct?

Some times we have learned things that we hope you can learn from us with doing it the hard way.

And I've never been to a pool that didn't have rules about not having food near the pool.
she might have been correct?

YES! Like eating near a pool. Horrible idea. You could die.

So she couldn't have politely said it to her face? The whole point of the rant is the way she passively aggressively antagonized. It would have been an entire different story if she would have politely asked, "could you please not eat near the pool?"

Oh..quite interesting that the condo provides grills near the pool. No need for her to act in that manner. Sounds like you and her would get along well :)

Last edited:
Ummm, you were the one arguing. As a rant this rates a -10. This was more of a diatribe about entitlement, privilege and the loss of freedom from alternative points of view in an apartment complex environment. In the end the ranter can’t disassociate real life from a social media website. Drug treatment probably won’t help. The ranter might need to go cold turkey from all social media.

Oh absolutely I started the argument. I wasn't going to let that miserable human continue to antagonize for no good reason :)

I won't disappoint again Clark.

Oh absolutely I started the argument. I wasn't going to let that miserable human continue to antagonize for no good reason :)

Today was a disappointing day for several operations. Not as bad as yesterday but that’s ancient history now. Today it was just classic unaware people and social or civil conventions. Like the driver who couldn’t figure out which lane they wanted so they just drove in two. Or the grocery shoppers who couldn’t decide on which frozen prepared delicacy they wanted so they stood blocking traffic while polling the entire extended family. The only redeeming quality to the grocery store visit was the fact that nobody wanted the checker with the shaved head/pony tail. Hey, I took the short line. I don’t care about a checkers choice in hair style. Yes, I use the cheap grocery store in the somewhat dodgy neighborhood. It’s only dodgy for the alternative lifestyles and not for crime. Hey the prices are good and I only get food there although there have also been pickup offers...

You’re first mistake was attempting to be reasonable.

When dealing with crazy, you have to act more crazy.

Standing up, hands on hips, and a thousand yard stare like you are sizing her up, and could either come up there and kill her, or just as easily throw a chicken bone at her, would have been more fun and more effective.

And yes, actually the harpie was that miserable. By arguing with her, you made her day. Nothing else to do but be in your business.

Call us back in 30"yrs or so and let us know how annoyed you are with those asinine 20-somethings that live near you.

Two alternatives:

“When I moved in, everyone I ran into said there was some woman who goes off her meds and starts antagonizing pool patrons...it’s so nice to finally meet you!”

Or, on the caddy shack vibe from above post:

“I bet you were really something before electricity.”

I am at the transitional age where I can see both sides and unfortunately I am becoming a pessimist so you're both wrong.

Don't eat at a public pool. You know how much funk is in those things?
I wouldn't touch the water and then put anything in my mouth.
Also don't eat in my pool. Inevitably a kid or intoxicated person drops food or glass, throws up, or a dog decides to grab a bite.
I don't even like food around the pool. If a plate blows in or some plastic wrapper, etc, I'm going to be digging it out of a tube at some point.

Now with regard to the nosey ***** on the balcony. She will be telling this story for the rest of the summer at her hair dresser.
She should have kept her thoughts to herself unless you were really doing something stupid / dangerous / illegal.
This is just a minor annoyance to her and I wonder if she uses the pool anyway. Really old people do seem to turn a level 3 annoyance into a 10 sometimes (not all of them, just the ones that do)

With regard to @murphey commet.
Damn man you are right. I used to own a beautifully loud 65 Mustang and made a point of making it known when I was driving it.
It was so loud when I wanted it to be.

Now at 41 with a house in peaceful suburbia and a family, my blood boils when the jackass kids go driving their big diesel trucks up and down the street and do whatever it is they do that makes the engine sound like its about to come apart and spew the black smoke. They really **** me off.

Life is funny how you look back and realize you used to be a dumbass too and nobody was impressed with your ability to insert yourself into their bubble of awareness.
OP wasn't doing that but Murphy's comment reminds me of my perception of myself in my 20s and my perception of people in their 20s now. (not all of them. Just the ones on my street)

In seriousness, your wife should not have been anywhere near the pool with food.

I think our society has become adverse to confronting others. Obviously she wanted to say that directly, but you just don’t confront people anymore because so many people loose their minds when they are corrected. Like you have.

Damn man you are right. I used to own a beautifully loud 65 Mustang and made a point of making it known when I was driving it.
It was so loud when I wanted it to be.

Now at 41 with a house in peaceful suburbia and a family, my blood boils when the jackass kids go driving their big diesel trucks up and down the street and do whatever it is they do that makes the engine sound like its about to come apart and spew the black smoke. They really **** me off.
There's a big difference between a car with a tasteful that sounds good and a douchey brodozer with a screwed up tune. Luckily it's only muscle cars and Porsches in my neighborhood with loud exhausts and not clapped out pickups. I try to roll through the neighborhood a gear or 2 high if it's late...nobody has complained yet.

Maybe if you throw a flowmaster on the grumman you'll get some street cred

Lol, go git 'em Clark!!

You weren't going to win that argument, when you get a little older you will realize futility sooner, lol. A more effective ploy if you wanted to bust her would have been to grab a plate, sit next to your wife, and eat. Or better yet, stand in the pool, with the plate, look directly at the lady, smile and eat. Then invite her down for a bite, or at least the husband for a drink, he probably could have used it.

"Never argue with an idiot, they'll suck you down to their level, and beat you with experience."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many old people don't remember when they were young and the same was done to them. Or maybe they do, and it's revenge, paying things backwards, as it were.

Never, ever, eat in the pool. Never. It's just wrong. Don't.

f310dccc8eabd94280acad05081554de.jpg

Thanks for reinforcing what a complete waste of time this website can be. WTF does this have to do with being a pilot?

[/QUOTE]

Reminds me of my honeymoon. We were at a bar similar to that.

Guy next to us asks his lady "What's the combo to the room safe?" She says it's their wedding date.

I said "Oh, so it's 1120"

She's says, "OMG, how did you know that"?

I told her 90% of the couples here are on honeymoons and we all get married last Saturday or the Saturday before.

The guy says... "I'll be right back"

Anyone ever clean public pool filters?

There is a reason for rules, even when you don't know why.

[/QUOTE]

I'm trying to figure out the story on that chick. Gym shorts and sports bra? A little plump in the midsection? And is that an Instamatic camera she is holding?

And just look at the way dude #2 is checking out dude #1's abs... just sayin'.

Thanks for reinforcing what a complete waste of time this website can be. WTF does this have to do with being a pilot?

Then you should make a proper rant about it.

That said, I count sixteen main forums, eleven of which are purely dedicated to aviation.

I'm trying to figure out the story on that chick. Gym shorts and sports bra? A little plump in the midsection? And is that an Instamatic camera she is holding?

And just look at the way dude #2 is checking out dude #1's abs... just sayin'.[/QUOTE]

Nah, look at the angle, he's checking out the chick's rear because she's shaking it.

There's a big difference between a car with a tasteful that sounds good and a douchey brodozer with a screwed up tune. Luckily it's only muscle cars and Porsches in my neighborhood with loud exhausts and not clapped out pickups. I try to roll through the neighborhood a gear or 2 high if it's late...nobody has complained yet.

Maybe if you throw a flowmaster on the grumman you'll get some street cred

No, the difference is in the listener. That nice, loud "potato potato" sound that so many Harley riders are so proud of, the louder the better it seems, is extremely annoying to me because it often drowns out my radio and conversation. If I have the top down, it is much, much worse.

Yeah, I've heard that "loud pipes save lives," except they don't project much sound forward to alert box drivers of your approach, and how many motorcyclists are run over from behind? Get a real muffler and use it. Same goes for dweebs with bored out Honda Civics with 12" exhaust pipes out the back. YGBSM . . . . Buy a real car, not a jacked up toy; for what thise things cost, you can buy a real sports car.

FYI: I've felt this way most of my life, even in my 20s and 30s. It ain't an age thing, it's a noise thing. People seem to enjoy wasting their money for the single benefit of disturbing other people.

No, the difference is in the listener. That nice, loud "potato potato" sound that so many Harley riders are so proud of, the louder the better it seems, is extremely annoying to me because it often drowns out my radio and conversation. If I have the top down, it is much, much worse.

Yeah, I've heard that "loud pipes save lives," except they don't project much sound forward to alert box drivers of your approach, and how many motorcyclists are run over from behind? Get a real muffler and use it. Same goes for dweebs with bored out Honda Civics with 12" exhaust pipes out the back. YGBSM . . . . Buy a real car, not a jacked up toy; for what thise things cost, you can buy a real sports car.

FYI: I've felt this way most of my life, even in my 20s and 30s. It ain't an age thing, it's a noise thing. People seem to enjoy wasting their money for the single benefit of disturbing other people.
Sounds good=/=straight piped. My car has one of the quietest aftermarket mufflers you can get, but it still screams when I get on it. It’s not easy to tame long tube headers and no cats

Back