Question about flying a different airplane

SPAJC

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jeff
Greetings All!

I searched and didn't find any previous threads about this. So, here's my question:

I sold my Cessna almost a month ago and am just about ready to go and pick up my Piper. I'm switching from a Cessna 150 to a Piper Cherokee 140. Other than good judgement and common sense, is there any legal requirement to be checked out in the Cherokee before flying it solo?

I intend to get checked out either way, just wanted to ask the question. The way I understand is that since its still ASEL and not a tailwheel, HP or complex, then there is no requirement.

As always, all info appreciated!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your insurance may have their own requirements for time in type. I would just check with them prior to taking delivery.

Your insurance may have their own requirements for time in type. I would just check with them prior to taking delivery.

+1 the insurance companies,make the rules. Ground effect will be a little different in the 140.

Greetings All!

I searched and didn't find any previous threads about this. So, here's my question:

I sold my Cessna almost a month ago and am just about ready to go and pick up my Piper. I'm switching from a Cessna 150 to a Piper Cherokee 140. Other than good judgement and common sense, is there any legal requirement to be checked out in the Cherokee before flying it solo?

I intend to get checked out either way, just wanted to ask the question. The way I understand is that since its still ASEL and not a tailwheel, HP or complex, then there is no requirement.

Nope, thankfully we aren't euro land where you need to pay $$ to get "typed" in every aircraft.

You'll probably be solo ready after 1hr, heck you probably would be fine to fly it solo right off the bat after reading the POH.

No biggie.

Congrats, and have fun

My first cessna 152 flight was solo. Insurance and flight school revenue are the main reasons for a checkout.

If you read up on the POH beforehand the checkout is probably an hour or so.

Nope, thankfully we aren't euro land where you need to pay $$ to get "typed" in every aircraft.

You'll probably be solo ready after 1hr, heck you probably would be fine to fly it solo right off the bat after reading the POH.

No biggie.

Congrats, and have fun

No such requirement in "euro land" either. SEP class rating is all you need. Rating requirements in EASA are easier than FAA. (And insurance is way easier).

Yeah SEP, because the van should have a type rating :lol:

I sometimes confuse all the GA backwards places, maybe it was Australia that has the even dumber, type in anything rules, I know a few African countries have it.

Ether way, OPs question was answered, and luckily we live in a country where the GA system works the way it should and isn't too over regulated (knocks on wood)

In the Cessna, extend flaps for landing and the nose pitches up, requiring a trim change. The Cherokee, the nose will pitch down with flap extension, very little trim changes needed.

At least that's the way I remember it.

The Cessna, electric flaps, the Piper, manual flap bar.

In the Cessna, extend flaps for landing and the nose pitches up, requiring a trim change. The Cherokee, the nose will pitch down with flap extension, very little trim changes needed.

At least that's the way I remember it.

The Cessna, electric flaps, the Piper, manual flap bar.
I just flew a Cherokee today and the nose pitches up.

Initially you may think you are upside down. The wing is in a different place.

The correct place actually.:popcorn:

The Johnson bar flaps are the best thing since sliced bread. That's my favorite thing about transitioning from a electric-flap Cessna to a Cherokee.

Every plane flies a little different in the details. But they are all airplanes, and obey the same Laws of physics and aerodynamics.

Spend a little time at a safe altitude, doing slow flight in the landing configuration so that you are not especially surprised on your first landing.

My low wing plane pitches down with flap extension, requiring significant Up trim. Find out what that particular Piper will do.

Remember to have fun!

Have fun.....and don't forget to switch tanks....before you run one dry. :D

It's been years since I flew a 140 Piper but it seems to me it had four seats but was really a two place aircraft and short on power. Reluctant to become airborne.

Mine definitely pitches down with flap extension. Appreciate all the input! She flys, looks, and runs great!!! Handles turbulence nicely as well. Had my first good experience with windshear on the flight back from PA. Landed at Bluefield, WV for fuel with a straight down the runway headwind until I was over the numbers. Then I had a nice tailwind to push me down the runway and leech my lift....puckering experience....but all was good and other than some pretty fun turbulence over the mountains, the rest of the flight was uneventful. I'm now the very proud owner of a Cherokee 140!

Mine definitely pitches down with flap extension. Appreciate all the input! She flys, looks, and runs great!!! Handles turbulence nicely as well. Had my first good experience with windshear on the flight back from PA. Landed at Bluefield, WV for fuel with a straight down the runway headwind until I was over the numbers. Then I had a nice tailwind to push me down the runway and leech my lift....puckering experience....but all was good and other than some pretty fun turbulence over the mountains, the rest of the flight was uneventful. I'm now the very proud owner of a Cherokee 140!

Congrats... Now fly it like you stole it, but most of all have fun!!!:yes:

Get used to NOT using the carb heat on decent.

Yep that, along with switching tanks, and turning on the electric fuel pump, have already become the normal ops. Thanks!

Just so you know, decent is how you treat a lady. Descend is what you do in an airplane.

Greetings All!

Nope, legally, good for one, good for the other. The insurance is what typically determines transition requirements at this level.

Initially you may think you are upside down. The wing is in a different place.

The correct place actually.:popcorn:

Thank you for making me spew my drink out, at least I turned my head so it missed the keyboard.

Agree with the second sentence BTW

I've got a couple of hundred hours in 150s and Cherokee 140s (each). I definitely recommend getting an hour in the pattern with an instructor to transition to the Cherokee.

After learning in the 150/152, my first few landings in the Cherokee were just a tad firm. Not scary. But, not pretty either.

I Always thought of the 150 as like a VW beetle and the Cherokee as a Dodge Dart.

Last edited:
The Johnson bar flaps are the best thing since sliced bread. That's my favorite thing about transitioning from a electric-flap Cessna to a Cherokee.

Aha! Another student of the short-radius turn.:yes:

Back