Pulled the trigger - I am dumb - Kate 1.5 coming soon

You can't use the Telligence to ident, but the 345 supports a discrete to trigger ident, so you could add another button to your yoke if desired. As far as keeping the fields open, per the IM you can configure a 335 (by changing the RS-232 format) for no remote control and leave the fields open, but not the 345. The same format might work for the 345, but isn't listed as approved for the 345. So "officially" you are stuck losing those fields.
good to know. thanks. not adding any more things on the yoke. cant imagine where they will put another button for the telligence anyway.. i already got way too much buttons to push

Going in:
GTN 750 Xi
GMA 345 -- Removed
GMA 350C audio panel
GFC 500
the old TC thats sitting on my desk since the dual G5 install 2 years back
FlightStream 510

GTX 345 already in.

I guess I'm similarly knocked up side the head. Our 41-year old stack came out and we put put in:

GTN 650Xi
GMA 345
GNC 255A
GTX 345
GI 275 OBS/GPS1/GPS2 +/+/+...
G5 AI
G5 HSI/GPS
ARTEX 345
Already have a JPI 730 that we installed 10 years ago.

Hope you enjoy your new stuff soon, I know I will be.

I guess I'm similarly knocked up side the head. Our 41-year old stack came out and we put put in:

GTN 650Xi
GMA 345
GNC 255A
GTX 345
GI 275 OBS/GPS1/GPS2 +/+/+...
G5 AI
G5 HSI/GPS
ARTEX 345
Already have a JPI 730 that we installed 10 years ago.

Hope you enjoy your new stuff soon, I know I will be.

picture or didnt happen :p

Nice! I have the same. You’re gonna love the 275. It’s better than the G5’s!

ok so i am not doing remote audio and i cant configure it that way on the trainer, but saw a screenshot on some garmin training video that sparked my interest on those data fields. GTX 345 it right next to it and of course i want traffic and WX to come to GTN, but if possible i would like to keep those data fields open. wait... can tell GMA 250C to IDENT ? then i want to keep the transponder data fields. else, its few inches over to push the GTX 345 buttons anyway.

No control of the transponder through Telligence, unfortunately. I really wish they would add "Tune 123.45" (as opposed to "Tune Nearest Approach" commands that do exist) and "Squawk VFR" type stuff for those of us who have the 345 tied in to the GTN.

So yeah, the trainer doesn't give you the option of telling it what else is connected, so you're stuck with the audio panel and transponder controls at the top. Just realize that you'll have 4 more fields available up where the audio panel stuff is in the trainer.

good to know. thanks. not adding any more things on the yoke. cant imagine where they will put another button for the telligence anyway.. i already got way too much buttons to push

Hah! Just on the left horn of my yoke, I have:

* PTT (front)
* CWS (aft)
* PTC (right)
* A/P DISC (top, left)
* Trim (top, right)
* Speed Brake (left)

I'm going flying in a little bit, I'll try to take a pic. I have the Ident button for the transponder on the right horn, but my hand is never on the right horn so it's not particularly convenient.

I'm going flying in a little bit, I'll try to take a pic. I have the Ident button for the transponder on the right horn, but my hand is never on the right horn so it's not particularly convenient.

Ahhh crap. I was having so much fun flying I forgot to take pictures of the yoke horn and the GTN screen. Let me see if I have any others somewhere.

OK... I finally found some. Here's the GTN Map screen, with data fields in all four corners plus the transponder controls but NOT the remote audio panel controls:

IMG_4443.jpg

Also, it's worth noting that those "Extra" four fields are present on any screen, while the four that are in the corners of the map are only on the Map screen. For example, here's the Weather screen:
IMG_3418.JPG

And the traffic screen:
IMG_1882.JPG

Now, here's a couple of fairly similar views of my yoke horn that I pulled from other shots - One shows the whole thing better, one is closer, sorry for the poor quality:
IMG_4778.jpg IMG_4779.jpg

The darker red button on the closer face is the Push To Command (you can see the "PTC" label on the part facing the pilot). Electric trim is easily visible. The CWS (Control Wheel Steering) button for the autopilot is just behind the trim switch, and the big red button above that is autopilot disconnect.

What's more difficult to see is the PTT that's on the front of the horn (though it is just barely there, visible in silhouette if you look at the red master switch) and the Speed Brake switch is not visible at all on the left-hand side of the horn, though you can see the label for it underneath the CWS.

It's a lot of stuff on one horn, and the shop told me that they can't fit anything else in there, but the capability all at your fingertips there is pretty impressive IMO.

OK... I finally found some. Here's the GTN Map screen, with data fields in all four corners plus the transponder controls but NOT the remote audio panel controls:

View attachment 84570

Also, it's worth noting that those "Extra" four fields are present on any screen, while the four that are in the corners of the map are only on the Map screen. For example, here's the Weather screen:
View attachment 84571

And the traffic screen:
View attachment 84572

Now, here's a couple of fairly similar views of my yoke horn that I pulled from other shots - One shows the whole thing better, one is closer, sorry for the poor quality:
View attachment 84573 View attachment 84574

The darker red button on the closer face is the Push To Command (you can see the "PTC" label on the part facing the pilot). Electric trim is easily visible. The CWS (Control Wheel Steering) button for the autopilot is just behind the trim switch, and the big red button above that is autopilot disconnect.

What's more difficult to see is the PTT that's on the front of the horn (though it is just barely there, visible in silhouette if you look at the red master switch) and the Speed Brake switch is not visible at all on the left-hand side of the horn, though you can see the label for it underneath the CWS.

It's a lot of stuff on one horn, and the shop told me that they can't fit anything else in there, but the capability all at your fingertips there is pretty impressive IMO.

Sweet. Thanks for the details and the pics. My horn is similarly crowded apart from the PTC and the speed brake of course, but good to know they can put everything there. The data fields on the 750 looks good too, I have similar data fields always displayed on the GMX200 that I was worried I will miss out on.

Now only if they can finish this yesterday..... am getting impatient

I say we lay odds and take bets...

I wish you luck on the useful load gain...when I had my old HSI, AI, and vacuum system removed when I had my twin G5s installed I had it reweighed in the hopes of gaining UL...and ended up LOSING 40#. Went from 970 to 930 or so...bummer :( I guess that's what happens with 40 years of A&Ps manually updating the W&B.

I wish you luck on the useful load gain...when I had my old HSI, AI, and vacuum system removed when I had my twin G5s installed I had it reweighed in the hopes of gaining UL...and ended up LOSING 40#. Went from 970 to 930 or so...bummer :( I guess that's what happens with 40 years of A&Ps manually updating the W&B.
I am planning to weigh the plane this time around, if i do, i will report back on the weight gain

We planned that too. However, that was before all this virus stuff took place. The person who the avionics shop normally uses isn't quite available yet. Soon, I hope.
Over the years we lightened the plane up as we did STCs for racing, performed by a few A&Ps. Our primary IA went through all the mods a couple years ago and produced a comprehensive, but calculated W&B. I'm interested to see how the A & P calculations compare when it finally does get weighed.

Last edited:
partial Christmas gift came early.. rest on its way

View attachment 84832

View attachment 84833

You will really like it. I just installed one in my Arrow, it is as smooth as butter, and does a great job with turbulence. And I know what some people will say, without pictures it doesn't exist, but I am planning to try to get some pictures of it and the new panel when I can get to the hanger with better lighting. :)

Tip of the iceberg

f543a347e0f918f0fc2fdf0c8cc63b41.jpg

Tip of the iceberg
emoji2955.png
Do you have a "before" picture handy? (don't feel like searching)

I see they haven't gotten to the vacuum AI yet. What's that to the left of it and below the EI Superclock?

Do you have a "before" picture handy? (don't feel like searching)

I see they haven't gotten to the vacuum AI yet. What's that to the left of it and below the EI Superclock?

thats a fuel indicator - Aerospace Logic FL202D

before pic

upload_2020-4-21_19-18-36.png

that pic was before the fuel indicator installation

That audio panel so far to the right must have been inconvenient. Is the AoA-ectomy permanent?

it is inconvenient along with the Century 2000 over there. however, audio panel location isnt changing but i am hoping with 350C, i will not have to touch the panel much. no way .. AOA is staying

the center stack will be 750 and the AP controller. what i am trying to decide is how to stack them, AP on top? 750 on top?

b/w just found the first panel picture when i got her in WA

upload_2020-4-21_20-1-51.png

it is inconvenient along with the Century 2000 over there. however, audio panel location isnt changing but i am hoping with 350C, i will not have to touch the panel much. no way .. AOA is staying

the center stack will be 750 and the AP controller. what i am trying to decide is how to stack them, AP on top? 750 on top?
750 on top: Eyes on the 750 near the windscreen, fingers on the GFC500 near the throttle. Otherwise you'd have to arch your elbow to see the 750 when dialing the AP.

750 on top: Eyes on the 750 near the windscreen, fingers on the GFC500 near the throttle. Otherwise you'd have to arch your elbow to see the 750 when dialing the AP.

Well duh... why didn’t I think of that. Thanks, that makes sense.

Well now on to next decision point, I will have 4 fields to place on the top of 750 since I am not using remote audio, wondering what to choose. Not sure if it can accommodate page functions or not, if it does, thinking of approach page and terrain page for sure. That may have to configured during the main configuration and not changeable like the other data fields, I think.

Well now on to next decision point, I will have 4 fields to place on the top of 750 since I am not using remote audio, wondering what to choose. Not sure if it can accommodate page functions or not, if it does, thinking of approach page and terrain page for sure. That may have to configured during the main configuration and not changeable like the other data fields, I think.

No, you can put buttons there where the fields are, but I wouldn't waste the space that way when you can just key the PTC and say "Show Terrain" instead. That's faster than lifting your arm and using the touchscreen, even with the single button.

I found that eight fields is just about right. I don't feel there's any must-haves that I'm missing, but I wouldn't want any less either.

I have the following up top, where they're always present:

* DTK - I use this to be able to set my HSI at a glance. You may not care since you've got a G5 that'll take care of that for you, but it's still useful to me.
* TRK - Very useful when flying approaches by hand to see what the wind correction should be
* GS - Everyone wants to know groundspeed! Useful for all sorts of things...
* DIS - "Are we there yet?" Another thing that's good to be able to know at a glance all the time.

I have the following in the corners of the map, so they're only available on the map page:

* BRG - Good to know when you're hand-flying. If you're on GPS and autopilot, it should be the same as DTK
* ETE - This kinda does the GS/DIS math for me, but handy to know.
* MSA - Really just there in case I get in a pinch someday. I have this in the lower left, so the Visual approach button obscures it when I get close in to my destination airport.
* The last one is the combo one that shows your distance and relative position to your destination ("104nm W of KUES"). I think if you don't have a flight plan in it shows bearing and destination to the nearest airport.

@flyingcheesehead thank you, very helpful. good call on PTC and makes sense.

since i have dual G5, i will have DTK and GS right there, so that frees up 2 more spaces. Looks like GTN has TKE(like in GNS 480) - i find that very helpful while flying approaches, would love to see it in the G5 PFD itself, but that aint gonna happen. I will probably put the MSA up there.

So TRK, DIS, MSA and TKE goes up top

BRG, ETE to Dest OR ETE, D/B APT (the one you mentioned is probably this one) and something else that i dont need much can go to lower left corner.

@flyingcheesehead thank you, very helpful. good call on PTC and makes sense.

since i have dual G5, i will have DTK and GS right there, so that frees up 2 more spaces. Looks like GTN has TKE(like in GNS 480) - i find that very helpful while flying approaches, would love to see it in the G5 PFD itself, but that aint gonna happen. I will probably put the MSA up there.

So TRK, DIS, MSA and TKE goes up top

BRG, ETE to Dest OR ETE, D/B APT (the one you mentioned is probably this one) and something else that i dont need much can go to lower left corner.

Yup, that's the one. Sounds like a good plan you've got there.

I used to have ETA DEST in there for my wife, but now that ForeFlight has the Passenger app I got her that instead and got a GTN field back for my own use. ;)

ok so i am not doing remote audio and i cant configure it that way on the trainer, but saw a screenshot on some garmin training video that sparked my interest on those data fields. GTX 345 it right next to it and of course i want traffic and WX to come to GTN, but if possible i would like to keep those data fields open. wait... can tell GMA 250C to IDENT ? then i want to keep the transponder data fields. else, its few inches over to push the GTX 345 buttons anyway.

funny, i have configured the lower left corner to show the visual approach ... ha ha ha . it made sense there.
As far as keeping the fields open, per the IM you can configure a 335 (by changing the RS-232 format) for no remote control and leave the fields open, but not the 345. The same format might work for the 345, but isn't listed as approved for the 345. So "officially" you are stuck losing those fields.

Not to quote my own post, but I wanted to correct what is now erroneous info. Was just reading Section 1.4.3.1 in R1 of the GTN Xi install manual (R14 of the regular GTN also now has this info) and it clarifies that the RS232 is only required between a GTX 345 and GTN if remote control is desired, all other functionality happens over HSDB. So if you want to keep the data field, and don't care about the remote control, you can just leave off the RS232.

Not to quote my own post, but I wanted to correct what is now erroneous info. Was just reading Section 1.4.3.1 in R1 of the GTN Xi install manual (R14 of the regular GTN also now has this info) and it clarifies that the RS232 is only required between a GTX 345 and GTN if remote control is desired, all other functionality happens over HSDB. So if you want to keep the data field, and don't care about the remote control, you can just leave off the RS232.

not familiar with all the lingo , does that mean i can have traffic and FIS-B WX and not have the remote control of the transponder via GTN?

not familiar with all the lingo , does that mean i can have traffic and FIS-B WX and not have the remote control of the transponder via GTN?

Yep exactly. You just don't hook up the serial (RS232) connection between the two and you don't get remote control, and get to keep the extra field. All traffic, weather etc from the GTX 345 and all the GPS position info from the GTN will transfer over the ethernet connection (HSDB) between them. You could certainly run the serial connection between the two and just not configure the port, so if you later decide you would really like to have the control on the 750 you don't have to open things up.

Thanks @Ryan Klems much appreciated. i think for now i will keep the remote control, kinda like the big IDENT button up there. from what you have explained, i can always go to config mode and deselect and port and reconfigure the data fields. shouldn't be rocket science...if only Garmin made the configuration manual open to everyone .. but thats a wishful thinking.

Well I could have done that part for you :)

The vent looks like it is directly exposed to outside air...is that right?

Well I could have done that part for you :)

The vent looks like it is directly exposed to outside air...is that right?

lol.. yah i could have done that myself too :p . They are saying she will be ready to fly end of next week.. am skeptical

yah that vent, its for cabin exhaust (learned on POA last night)

lol.. yah i could have done that myself too :p . They are saying she will be ready to fly end of next week.. am skeptical

yah that vent, its for cabin exhaust (learned on POA last night)
You would think some darn cold winter air would get drawn back into the cabin.

You would think some darn cold winter air would get drawn back into the cabin.

Who knows may be it does.... but I am in layers so don’t notice much not care much

So... you ripped out the hobbs meter. How will you track use / time? Just use the tach hours?

So... you ripped out the hobbs meter. How will you track use / time? Just use the tach hours?

Clock or the flight timer function in GTX 345 or the 750, starting at taxi. I am not building hours so a few mins less won’t matter a whole lot.

Clock or the flight timer function in GTX 345 or the 750, starting at taxi. I am not building hours so a few mins less won’t matter a whole lot.

That’s actually a great idea! Wish I had thought to do that when we cut our new panel. Hobbs are for flight schools.

Back