Pulled the trigger - I am dumb - Kate 1.5 coming soon

is there a easy way to determine those? i am yet to fly and the WX is not looking great today, so will see. i did a ground check yesterday and the only thing i couldnt get to work was GTX 345 audio and added it to the squack list. not sure if thats a cabling issue or just a config issue. couldnt verify terrain callouts on the ground

If you can hear key clicks from the GTN as you are touching it, the audio is connected (if you don't you might need to go in to the audio settings to make sure they key clicks volume is turned up ... personally I turn that off, but it's an easy way to hear if the audio is connected or not). As for the terrain alerting, you need to boot the GTN in to config mode. Hold down Home while powering on the unit. Then tap GTN Options, then Terrain and see if Terrain Alerting is on. You can also check the audio through this, and go in to the audio clips in the terrain menu and press play on one of them and see if you can hear it.

Do you have a remote or a regular GTX345? If you have a regular one, you can access the config menu through the front panel and go in to the audio settings and have it play some test audio to verify that you can hear it. If you don't it's a wiring issue. It's supposed to be connected to an unswitched, unmuted input on the audio panel. To get to config hold down ENT while powering on the unit. Then press Func to cycle through the pages until you get to audio settings, then press CRSR to access the items on that page. Get to the test audio and select one of the messages and see if you can hear it.

Last edited:
If you can hear key clicks from the GTN as you are touching it, the audio is connected (if you don't you might need to go in to the audio settings to make sure they key clicks volume is turned up ... personally I turn that off, but it's an easy way to hear if the audio is connected or not). As for the terrain alerting, you need to boot the GTN in to config mode. Hold down Home while powering on the unit. Then tap GTN Options, then Terrain and see if Terrain Alerting is on. You can also check the audio through this, and go in to the audio clips in the terrain menu and press play on one of them and see if you can hear it.

Do you have a remote or a regular GTX345? If you have a regular one, you can access the config menu through the front panel and go in to the audio settings and have it play some test audio to verify that you can hear it. If you don't it's a wiring issue. It's supposed to be connected to an unswitched, unmuted input on the audio panel. To get to config hold down ENT while powering on the unit. Then press Func to cycle through the pages until you get to audio settings, then press CRSR to access the items on that page. Get to the test audio and select one of the messages and see if you can hear it.

i hear the key clicks. will check out the config for terrain alerting on GTN.
I have the panel mounted GTX and already checked the setting you mentioned. the test tone doesnt play. so wiring issue it is.
Thanks.

i hear the key clicks. will check out the config for terrain alerting on GTN.
I have the panel mounted GTX and already checked the setting you mentioned. the test tone doesnt play. so wiring issue it is.
Thanks.

If your not seeing a white "TER TEST" CAS-like message during boot its not turned on. At the end of the test an audio message plays "Terrain system test ok"

Last edited:
If your not seeing a white "TER TEST" CAS-like message during boot its not turned on. At the end of the test an audio message plays "Terrain system test ok"

It was set to terrain proximity, I switched it to terrain alerting, not sure what the diff is. But got that terrain test message, so guessing that was it.

They wired the 345, so that audio is working now.

Big shout out thank you to Ryan Klems.. thanks for the help!

As for CWS.. while I typically will also use the HDG and twist a knob...there are times where cws is key..

such as climbing out on takeoff to 1500agl @100knots... to get to a safe return with engine out altitude, with a flight director.. select TOGO and you will get a pitch up of 8 deg attitude, but as speed increases , cws allows you to maintain Vy with fast trigger adjustments .. descents the same..emergency procedures circling on Vg or fast incoming traffic in tight spaces.. it’s a great tool.. every AP should have one... perhaps when Garmin adds one, you will see the benefits

Update:

Its finally done, well apart from a couple of things ...

PTC - his specialized cable thats needed to configure the PTC broke, so a new one has been ordered. waiting on Garmin
AOA Audio input - not yet done.

Apart from that everything is ready. Went to the airport and the cross winds were either exactly at my limit or above my limits, so after a long pause, I called it. did ground run, high speed taxi to ensure there are no surprises, didnt find one. couldnt check the AP servos, well i did, but they dont mean a whole lot on the ground other than its turning the yoke in the right direction on heading mode. Will see if there are any surprises there tomorrow.

Weight:
I was hoping to gain some useful load... BUT years of calculated W&B proved to be wrong. I lost about 34 lbs of useful weight :(. but hey, at least the W&B is correct now :p
without wheel pants, unusable fuel + 8 Qts of oil - 909.5 lbs .. sigh

Hoping to fly tomorrow and will update this thread with pics

B/w i thought i read somewhere that when you have FLightStream, the BT from GTX 345 needs to be disabled? is that true? mine is on, so my iPad is now connected to both GTN and 345. wondering if i disable the BT on 345, would the iPad get AHARS via GTN? can anyone point me to the config ?

What flightstream do you have? 210 has AHRS, 110 and 510 do not, nor does the GTN.

What flightstream do you have? 210 has AHRS, 110 and 510 do not, nor does the GTN.

510. i was reading another post by Nate and as per that post, the FS 510 has to be disabled. The backup AHRS should come from GTX 345

Garmin does have it GFC 700 and now in GFC 600, not sure why they eliminated in GFC 500

cheaper, less expensive Model.. have to pay for sophisticated features...that is my guess...

and finally she is done.

I will provide a separate pirep on the auto pilot and the entire set up. Test flew it yesterday and on AP the plane is like on rails. it was fairly bumpy but it held the Alt at +-20 feet!! unlike my previous Century 2000. went up again in the evening and out of 2.3 hrs i flew, i am not even ashamed to admin that i hand flew probably .1 :p

see the track for the first test flight. i engaged the AP at 3000 AGL (first flight, didnt wanted to take any chance) and disconnected at 500 AGL. I think from the track you can pretty much tell which part was hand flown.

upload_2020-5-31_20-25-26.png

Panel pic as promised

20200530_234536861_iOS-1.jpg

Last edited:
B/w i thought i read somewhere that when you have FLightStream, the BT from GTX 345 needs to be disabled? is that true? mine is on, so my iPad is now connected to both GTN and 345. wondering if i disable the BT on 345, would the iPad get AHARS via GTN? can anyone point me to the config ?

Yes, this is true. The AHRS will be passed through the FS510 to your iPad, you don't lose any functionality by having the GTX 345 BT turned off.

GTX 345 transponder has AHRS that can be sent to an iPad. If you don't have any FlightStream, you connect to the GTX directly. If you do have a FlightStream 510, the AHRS is passed through the FlightStream and the GTX's own bluetooth is disabled.

510. i was reading another post by Nate and as per that post, the FS 510 has to be disabled. The backup AHRS should come from GTX 345

Other way around. GTX should be disabled and you should get everything the GTX sends via the 510.

cheaper, less expensive Model.. have to pay for sophisticated features...that is my guess...

You would think they'd give that option, then. $200 extra for CWS or whatever. Otherwise, it's rarely an option. The only airplane that is even certified for both the GFC500 and GFC600 is the A36 Bonanza. All other planes are certified for either one or the other (or neither).

and finally she is done.

Sweet!

Test flew it yesterday and on AP the plane is like on rails. it was fairly bumpy but it held the Alt at +-20 feet!! unlike my previous Century 2000. went up again in the evening and out of 2.3 hrs i flew, i am not even ashamed to admin that i hand flew probably .1 :p

see the track for the first test flight. i engaged the AP at 3000 AGL (first flight, didnt wanted to take any chance) and disconnected at 500 AGL. I think from the track you can pretty much tell which part was hand flown.

The GFC 500 is quite the impressive piece of equipment IMO. After a friend of mine installed one in his 172, we went up and I even tried to confuse it. The only thing it didn't fly absolutely perfectly was a 70-degree intercept to a random OBS course, none of which was programmed into a flight plan, but even then it did successfully intercept the course. And everything else it does is absolutely spot on. Can't wait to get one in the Mooney.

Wow, she's a beaut! Congrats!

Back