Going in:
GTN 750 Xi
GMA 345 -- Removed
GMA 350C audio panel
GFC 500
the old TC thats sitting on my desk since the dual G5 install 2 years back
FlightStream 510

GTX 345 already in.

my first choice for the audio panel was PMA 450B, but my avionics guy gave me a break in total labor and provided dealer pricing for the audio panel if i did the garmin stuff. so there is that.

This is a great time to do the insulation change and stuff like a new panel cut out, i know, but i am way broke already...

Last edited:
Woooo! That’s a big upgrade! You’ll like the 750, it’s so nice!

Curious, how much will all of these new gizmos change your useful load?

Woooo! That’s a big upgrade! You’ll like the 750, it’s so nice!

Curious, how much will all of these new gizmos change your useful load?
Dont know yet, will find out. with 2 vacuum systems out, i am hoping i gain a little more than a couple of steaks i eat.

That's going to be one dolled up Cherokee when you are done with it.:cool:
I think the 750 Xi alone (uninstalled) is worth more than I paid for my entire Cherokee 160 way back in those pre-TSA, pre-virus days of the 1990s. :eek:

What is the plan for the GMX200 and the Garmin 480?

GMX 200 going on POA for sale. It’s with traffic etc and have Jepp unlock. 480 going back to garmin or dealer donno, big G has a offer of taking it back. It’s a part t of their current promo.

My avionics shop has a 480 on his shelf if you are interested, I have no idea how much he wants for it, but I can check if you are interested.

Incredibly dumb move.. i know.

Following are coming out from my panel:

GMX 200
CNX80
Vacuum pump
Century 2000 AP and the vacuum AI

That is my exact panel now. Comanche PA-24-250
Jealous about your upgrade.
I do have an Aspen that I just upgraded to the new Pro Max.
My stuff is all working great and I'm coming to terms with the CNX80. Took me a while to get the feel for it. I have another CNX80 / 480 sitting in a closet that a friend gave me as a back up.
My Centrury 2000 was rock solid until my annual a few months ago. Now the altitude hold starts a porpoise, a bad one, but it is intermittent. I found a kinked static line and am hoping that was the problem.

I'm going to try to tread water for a few more years with what I have and likely will need a new engine in a few years.
But dang the 750's are nice.

I'm going to try to tread water for a few more years with what I have and likely will need a new engine in a few years.

That’s where I’m at too. I have the Aspen and my 480 was updated right before I bought my Commander. Our autopilot is the Stec 60 and it works great. The only thing it lacks is Altitude preselect. The plan was to obtain another 480 to have for a standby, just in case.

That is my exact panel now. Comanche PA-24-250
Jealous about your upgrade.
I do have an Aspen that I just upgraded to the new Pro Max.
My stuff is all working great and I'm coming to terms with the CNX80. Took me a while to get the feel for it. I have another CNX80 / 480 sitting in a closet that a friend gave me as a back up.
My Centrury 2000 was rock solid until my annual a few months ago. Now the altitude hold starts a porpoise, a bad one, but it is intermittent. I found a kinked static line and am hoping that was the problem.

CNX 80 takes some time to get used to but its a damn good one. I am kinda missing it already. downloaded the GTN trainer app and unlike the 80 that has 4 pages and ton of data fields you can customize on every page... 750 has one page with 4 datafields ... WTF. also, 750 doesnt do a 500 feet callout .... that i can find anyway... common'

love the GMX 200 and the way it depicts ILS approaches with the pink line, runway info page adjusts itself with the position of the aircraft, and the data fields that are shown on the map page. dont think 750 shows them the same way... i am going to miss it too.

That’s where I’m at too. I have the Aspen and my 480 was updated right before I bought my Commander. Our autopilot is the Stec 60 and it works great. The only thing it lacks is Altitude preselect. The plan was to obtain another 480 to have for a standby, just in case.

I flew cargo planes around for years and have been a CFII for years. 4,000 hours TT with no autopilot. I think back on the thousands of hours of steam gauges I've starred at. The Aspen / GMX200 / 480 is such an amazing package compared to steam gauges and the steam gauges still work. This new stuff is amazing but it is still amazingly expensive.

CNX 80 takes some time to get used to but its a damn good one. I am kinda missing it already. downloaded the GTN trainer app and unlike the 80 that has 4 pages and ton of data fields you can customize on every page... 750 has one page with 4 datafields ... WTF. also, 750 doesnt do a 500 feet callout .... that i can find anyway... common'

love the GMX 200 and the way it depicts ILS approaches with the pink line, runway info page adjusts itself with the position of the aircraft, and the data fields that are shown on the map page. dont think 750 shows them the same way... i am going to miss it too.

The 750 is super intuitive. I've got a student with an original 750 and it is so easy to make it do what you need. It will be different but you'll be happy.
Don't you find the 750 trainer simpler to operate than the 480?

It's like learning a new language. That's how it was coming from a 530/430 set up with a flight stream 210 to our commander. The thing I miss most is the FS210!

It does. You have to install the separate audio alert from the 750 main connector to an unswitched unmuted input on the audio panel, then turn on terrain alerting in 750 config and you'll get a 500' callout.
sweet. thanks, i will be sure to let my avoinics guy know

Don't you find the 750 trainer simpler to operate than the 480?

once you get used to 480 logic... its hard to break. i am sure its matter of time. it is simple for sure, just different than what i am used to

I’m not entirely sure, but I think STEC designed their autopilots originally to be able to be pieced together with other autopilots as well as themselves. Not sure of the plug-n-play nature of their altitude preselect, but it may be something to look into, especially if you find a cheap unit.

I have the old dial-style in 14v that I’m looking to maybe replace with a known good unit as a test, as I’m not getting any advice here or the local shop on what might be causing an issue with mine. Worth a couple hundred bucks to try it out.

That’ll be very nice!! My new GMA345 is having lightning issues. I don’t like the fact that you can’t adjust the internal lighting like all my other new equipment. My avionics guy is going to have to connect the lighting to a rheostat for a manual override adjustment. Sucks to have only that one piece on a manual control.

I’m interested in how your lighting will be adjusted on this new equipment. Photocell only, rheostat, or both?

BTW: Garmin online compatibility charts show that the GMA345 is not compatible with the new Xi’s. Garmin CS told me this as well. My avionics guy says they are completely wrong and showed me some Mx manual references.
We followed the shop advice and matched up the 345 with a new 650xi. Other than the lighting it seems to be working ok. You might want to check to see if the 350 has internal lighting controls to avoid this situation. If so, it would be worth the extra.

GMA 350c might be nice instead of the 345 (since you are going Garmin), hook up a PTC switch and get the Telligence feature w/your 750. You can then do things like "Tune nearest ground", "Tune destination ATIS", "Show Traffic Page", etc. http://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-01007-50_A.pdf

that was recommended by my installer, but i am not a big fan all remote stuff. the 750 fails and now i will have no audio. same reason i didnt go for remote transponder. heck i might not even have the transponder control on the 750 if i can and use those data fields for something more useful. i do want the traffic and WX on the 750

That’ll be very nice!! My new GMA345 is having lightning issues. I don’t like the fact that you can’t adjust the internal lighting like all my other new equipment. My avionics guy is going to have to connect the lighting to a rheostat for a manual override adjustment. Sucks to have only that one piece on a manual control.

I’m interested in how your lighting will be adjusted on this new equipment. Photocell only, rheostat, or both?

BTW: Garmin online compatibility charts show that the GMA345 is not compatible with the new Xi’s. Garmin CS told me this as well. My avionics guy says they are completely wrong and showed me some Mx manual references.
We followed the shop advice and matched up the 345 with a new 650xi. Other than the lighting it seems to be working ok. You might want to check to see if the 350 has internal lighting controls to avoid this situation. If so, it would be worth the extra.

thats interesting. didnt know that. my panel however is full of stuff that has its own dimming mechanism and it sucks to not have all of them work similarly. this might be a good time to talk to my installer and see if we can connect everything to one rheostat... will have to explore that. re: garmin online compatibility chart. interesting that they didnt put GMA 345 in there, but its compatible with SL15M.. ha funny. they also dont mention GTX 345. thats interesting. in any case, i might not wire the control from GTX 345 from 750 anyway

that was recommended by my installer, but i am not a big fan all remote stuff. the 750 fails and now i will have no audio. same reason i didnt go for remote transponder. heck i might not even have the transponder control on the 750 if i can and use those data fields for something more useful. i do want the traffic and WX on the 750

The 350/350c aren't remote, the 35/35c are remote. Both can do Telligence. So you can have your cake and see it to.

What is the difference in price between the 345 and 350? We have the 350 and love it.

What is the difference in price between the 345 and 350? We have the 350 and love it.
thanks for the pirep, watched some vids on the telligence thing and man thats awesome

not much difference actually, especially in the grand scheme of things , i have a text out to my avionics guy, think he ordered yesterday, so will see if that can be changed, reordered etc.

We have the 350 and love it.

Can you manually adjust the internal lighting on the 350 or is it photocell only? Lighting is my only complaint with the 345

Can you manually adjust the internal lighting on the 350 or is it photocell only? Lighting is my only complaint with the 345

Both the 350 and the 345 can be connected to a lighting bus, or they can not be connected and they willl use the photocell.

Both the 350 and the 345 can be connected to a lighting bus, or they can not be connected and they willl use the photocell.

I understand that, but can the 350 be manually adjusted on the faceplate? The 345 can not.
The 650xi and all my other new equipment can be adjusted via the photocell, a rheostat (if connected), or manually via the faceplate.

I understand that, but can the 350 be manually adjusted on the faceplate? The 345 can not.
The 650xi and all my other new equipment can be adjusted via the photocell, a rheostat (if connected), or manually via the faceplate.

Ah, sorry, didn’t realize that’s what you were asking. No, there is no manual control of the 350 lighting via its face.

That makes it unusable without a manual rheostat connected. At least that’s the case with my new 345. Totally unusable at night with the photocell only.

Going in:
GTN 750 Xi
GMA 345
GFC 500
the old TC thats sitting on my desk since the dual G5 install 2 years back

GTX 345 already in.

my first choice for the audio panel was PMA 450B, but my avionics guy gave me a break in total labor and provided dealer pricing for the audio panel if i did the garmin stuff. so there is that.

If you can, switch from the GMA 345 to the GMA 350c. That will give you voice control of the GTN, which works fabulously and helps you move around the GTN's UI much faster. Plus, it's great to be able to do things like "Tune destination tower" instead of dialing it in yourself. :)

Other than that... You've got a sweet setup going in, and I'm jealous!

If you can, switch from the GMA 345 to the GMA 350c. That will give you voice control of the GTN, which works fabulously and helps you move around the GTN's UI much faster. Plus, it's great to be able to do things like "Tune destination tower" instead of dialing it in yourself. :)

Other than that... You've got a sweet setup going in, and I'm jealous!
lol.. i just posted the update few seconds after you posted and your thread about this very thing helped me decide last night. its on the order along with FlightStream 510
its only money and i can always sell a kidney

CNX 80 takes some time to get used to but its a damn good one. I am kinda missing it already. downloaded the GTN trainer app and unlike the 80 that has 4 pages and ton of data fields you can customize on every page... 750 has one page with 4 datafields ... WTF.

You get an additional four data fields at the top of the screen if you don't have a remote audio panel - And six if you don't have the transponder hooked up. We don't have a remote transponder but the transponder (GTX 345) is hooked up to the 750 anyway, I think that might have been required by the install manual, at least when we got ours put in. Still, 8 fields is plenty. I don't really know what to do with them all!

I would suggest that whatever you put in the lower left corner be something that isn't particularly useful during the approach-landing phase, as that's where the visual approach button will appear.

also, 750 doesnt do a 500 feet callout .... that i can find anyway... common'

Ours does...

It does. You have to install the separate audio alert from the 750 main connector to an unswitched unmuted input on the audio panel, then turn on terrain alerting in 750 config and you'll get a 500' callout.

:thumbsup:

The price difference when we did ours 2.5 years ago was about $400. That's a large part of why we went with it - And I'm really glad we did!

lol.. i just posted the update few seconds after you posted and your thread about this very thing helped me decide last night. its on the order along with FlightStream 510
its only money and i can always sell a kidney

Sweet! :)

You get an additional four data fields at the top of the screen if you don't have a remote audio panel - And six if you don't have the transponder hooked up. We don't have a remote transponder but the transponder (GTX 345) is hooked up to the 750 anyway, I think that might have been required by the install manual, at least when we got ours put in. Still, 8 fields is plenty. I don't really know what to do with them all!

I would suggest that whatever you put in the lower left corner be something that isn't particularly useful during the approach-landing phase, as that's where the visual approach button will appear.

ok so i am not doing remote audio and i cant configure it that way on the trainer, but saw a screenshot on some garmin training video that sparked my interest on those data fields. GTX 345 it right next to it and of course i want traffic and WX to come to GTN, but if possible i would like to keep those data fields open. wait... can tell GMA 250C to IDENT ? then i want to keep the transponder data fields. else, its few inches over to push the GTX 345 buttons anyway.

funny, i have configured the lower left corner to show the visual approach ... ha ha ha . it made sense there.

ok so i am not doing remote audio and i cant configure it that way on the trainer, but saw a screenshot on some garmin training video that sparked my interest on those data fields. GTX 345 it right next to it and of course i want traffic and WX to come to GTN, but if possible i would like to keep those data fields open. wait... can tell GMA 250C to IDENT ? then i want to keep the transponder data fields. else, its few inches over to push the GTX 345 buttons anyway.

funny, i have configured the lower left corner to show the visual approach ... ha ha ha . it made sense there.

You can't use the Telligence to ident, but the 345 supports a discrete to trigger ident, so you could add another button to your yoke if desired. As far as keeping the fields open, per the IM you can configure a 335 (by changing the RS-232 format) for no remote control and leave the fields open, but not the 345. The same format might work for the 345, but isn't listed as approved for the 345. So "officially" you are stuck losing those fields.

Back