Post Office slow down is real

flhrci

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
David
Tomorrow I am going on 5 business days since I mailed my ballot in. I have been having mail issues at my new address so I also sent myself an empty envelope. 4 days for it to go 10 miles.

The ballot just may not have been registered as received by the board of elections yet but I used to get mail much quicker than this.

The slow down is real. I know the Post Office has financial issues but their service seems to be not as good as it was a few years ago.

On the other hand, I just bought something off of eBay and the seller shipped it Priority. The delivery estimate was for 3 days but the post office delivered it in 2.

The slow down is real. I know the Post Office has financial issues but their service seems to be not as good as it was a few years ago.
Granted, it's amazing what you can do for a few pennies.. I can put a piece of paper in a box for less than $0.50 and within a couple days it will make it completely across the country, all with a messy handwritten address

However.. for any real package UPS and FedEx are the only way to go. Their tracking, and delivery performance, are so much better.. the whole soup to nuts experience is better, even from a customer service standpoint

Amazon Prime is hit or miss, they are effectively using Uber drivers to deliver packages.. sometimes my stuff delivers a day early in front of my door, other times is a week late and in someone else's mailbox

just a few weeks ago they put my entire floor's mail in front of my door.. none if it was mine so I walked up and down the hall placing it out. I felt like Jerry Seinfeld when he fills in for Newman

I did nothing wrong! Non-political posting. The Post Office is a non-political branch of the government and operates as a business. UPS and Fedex have their own levels of suckiness.

Last edited:
Tomorrow I am going on 5 business days since I mailed my ballot in. I have been having mail issues at my new address so I also sent myself an empty envelope. 4 days for it to go 10 miles.

The ballot just may not have been registered as received by the board of elections yet but I used to get mail much quicker than this.

I've been seeing the same thing. Mailed checks that used to clear by the end of the week now clear after 7 to 9 days.

I watched a USPS package go from NJ (source) to Nashua to Middlesex back to Nashua out to Wisconsin (huh?) back to Nashua to Wilmington... it might get delivered Saturday.

We'll see...

I have found that the biggest problem with US mail is the last 10 feet. The mail carrier puts mail in the wrong box. This happened in the country, where we had a big mailbox structure (maybe 130 boxes), and in the city where we have only 10 boxes.

One change in 'recent' years(from when my mom was a carrier) is that basically no sorting happens at the local office. So a letter from yourself to yourself goes all the way to the sorting hub, gets sorted(by machine) and returned to the local office in delivery order. This should reduce problems but if the carrier isn't paying attention they can deliver numerous boxes wrong in order.

Amazon Prime is hit or miss, they are effectively using Uber drivers to deliver packages.. sometimes my stuff delivers a day early in front of my door, other times is a week late and in someone else's mailbox

Amazon here opened a massive new distribution center and we went from having everything delivered by UPS mostly with the occasional USPS from Prime, to a Prime labeled van owned by some sub-contractor delivering the majority.

Also went from two days to one day. Apparently over in cow-town they have same day now in most of the metro. We are too far out here.

The weirdest thing is Amazon making these poor schmucks take a photo when they deliver now and getting a “survey” question every delivery now of whether or not they did a good job. It would take a lot for me to click anything other than great, since Amazon is truly awful to sub-contractors and fires people for tiny infractions.

Honestly at this point I’d rather pay more for an Amazon competitor that behaves better to people for this same service, but they don’t exist. Also interestingly though, I’ve found direct sales from a number of tech companies to be better deals than they offer on Amazon if you buy direct and can live with waiting a few more days for the item. So Amazon is losing clout with them.

Prime Day by all accounts was a complete bust this year. Almost no manufacturer played the game this time other than ones in second place or further back with Amazon warehouse stock to clear out.

As far as USPS goes, the little rural PO and their private rural delivery sub-contractors seem as normal as ever. Not great, not bad. The sheer volume of packages has forced them to say if you don’t grab one in a day or two they’ll clear the Mail house package box for someone else who can be bothered to come get it.

Their (USPS) “Informed Delivery” service also working great here. Photo of everything first class in e-mail on wifey’s phone every day.

The little rural PO never had the tracking code scanners though, so the other package and letter tracking style never worked here. If it came from out of State you’d see it hit cow-town and that was always the end of tracking. No PO code scanners and the rural delivery contractors never had them either.

Pretty much business as usual out here. But your Amazon using Uber thing there is wild. Definitely went 180 degrees the other direction here. Very strange to order late at night and still have an Amazon van show up mid-day the next day.

Haven’t been to the office or needed anything same-day there yet, but will be fun to try that sooner or later. We buy piddly IT stuff like cables from Amazon sometimes. Will be interesting to see if it’s in the local warehouse stock.

Office does truckloads of USPS in and out, literally, since we have a print shop, so any USPS stories from there aren’t representative of much. They often use forklifts to load or unload so we’re being handled at the bulk level and no complaints from us or customers with any of that. Our first class stuff just rides along with the massive flats and boxes of other junk.

My post office has been slow for the last 3-4 years. Badly slow, and they even can lose a package in the building for literally months.

I feel sympathy for anyone whose mail goes through Atlanta or Birmingham.

They lost more than half my mail and most of my VA medicine was stolen. I even had a check delivered six months late, because it was found buried in a mail carrier's back yard...

Amazon here opened a massive new distribution center and we went from having everything delivered by UPS mostly with the occasional USPS from Prime, to a Prime labeled van owned by some sub-contractor delivering the majority.
You only have one Amazon location? Geesh! We have at least 5 here. 2 Prime and 3 normal. You sure do live out in the sticks. lol

Our PO publishes a phone number. I don't know why, nobody ever answers it. And I'm not the only one who has that problem with them.

You only have one Amazon location? Geesh! We have at least 5 here. 2 Prime and 3 normal. You sure do live out in the sticks. lol

It is a cow-town in a flyover State that’s mostly rural, after all.

Think they have two warehouses in the metro. We just weren’t close enough to the original to get the direct delivery stuff. New place also has room for all those vans I suppose.

But anyway... we’’re not nearly far enough from the rat colony, IMHO, but we are about twenty miles from where the street lights end.

I've been seeing the same thing. Mailed checks that used to clear by the end of the week now clear after 7 to 9 days.
And one check finally cleared after 15 days...I think the pony express was faster.

However.. for any real package UPS and FedEx are the only way to go. Their tracking, and delivery performance, are so much better.. the whole soup to nuts experience is better, even from a customer service standpoint
Not to my house. Both UPS and FedEx routinely deliver my packages to my neighbors barn. I once received an area rug that was supposed to be delivered across the street. If the shipper decides to make me sign for a package, that's when the real fun starts. I am out of state frequently so there have been occasions they leave a note saying I have to come to their distribution center to collect my package; that results in an 1.5 hour round trip drive for me to collect what they refuse to deliver.

You guys are lucky. The USPS does not deliver out of the city limits. My mom lives 85 feet outside the city limits and no mail delivery.

I have some checks in the mail that were mailed on 21 August that have not made the destination yet. With 2 resends, about to be 3.

I have never been in a hurry to get my mail. We moved into a neighborhood that has central mailboxes. I go about every third day to pick up.

I haven't seen anyone else put forth this idea, but I am of the opinion that the time has come to abolish the USPS. Physical delivery of papers is by now an obsolete concept. The need can be filled by telecommunications.
This, of course, makes the Postal Service an expensive, troublesome, Anachronism. I pay all my bills online - and receive incoming funds by direct deposit. So 99 percent of the stuff that shows up in my mailbox is unwanted
trash. I hardly ever mail a letter anymore. Package delivery is another matter - but that part could be sold off to become a profit-making enterprise (assuming that it could compete with the likes of UPS and FedEX).

Dave

I'd hope the PO stops all delivery of all but first class mail
no more third class, election ads, etc

I haven't seen anyone else put forth this idea, but I am of the opinion that the time has come to abolish the USPS. Physical delivery of papers is by now an obsolete concept. The need can be filled by telecommunications.
This, of course, makes the Postal Service an expensive, troublesome, Anachronism. I pay all my bills online - and receive incoming funds by direct deposit. So 99 percent of the stuff that shows up in my mailbox is unwanted
trash. I hardly ever mail a letter anymore. Package delivery is another matter - but that part could be sold off to become a profit-making enterprise (assuming that it could compete with the likes of UPS and FedEX).

Dave
I'm pretty sure you haven't read this thread. I still send checks by mail, and the occasional package that doesn't need the services of FedEx, UPS, and so forth. My single experience with automatic bill pay was with a company that was churning accounts and the only way I could stop the BS was to close open an entirely new checking account and close the old one. There no f***ing way a payment happens unless I initiate it anymore. That means I write a check and send it by the USPS.

My tracked, um, mail, made it to the destination within the city in two days.

We hand delivered ours to the township office. It shows on the the County board of Elections website as recieved.....

My ballot finally shows as received yesterday. Took a week to go a few miles=, small town to small town.

Voting in person myself, finally in a state where my vote will have an impact.

If I wasn't able to vote in person on election day, then I would vote in person early.

Last resort would be absentee ballot, but only if absolutely needed, haven't needed it yet, but I do understand people who do need it due to circumstances.

Then there are those of us who live in states with 100% vote at home. I couldn't be happier not having to ask for an absentee ballot or show up among the masses(even pre-Covid)

I just go drop mine in one of the county drop boxes when I get groceries.

Did early voting and so far I have received 2 mail in ballots.

You know what they say, vote early, vote often....:lol::lol:

Amazon activated their van tracking thing out here this weekend. App popped an alert that the delivery was “10 stops away” and then gave live tracking on a map.

UPS has something similar out here but only the tracking part. No alert to tell you when to start watching. Their truck also seems to lose cell coverage out here in the boonies. Still usually works if you’re watching.

FedEx has nothing apparently. If so it doesn’t work out here.

USPS, they’ll never catch up.

Did early voting and so far I have received 2 mail in ballots.

You know what they say, vote early, vote often....:lol::lol:

If I received more than one ballot, I wouldn't take a chance on voting more than once. I don't know how they do it where you live, but in California, they keep track of who has already voted.

Ordered a part from skygeek, left NY enroute to MS. Supposed to be delivered tomorrow and its currently in San Juan, PR!!

If I received more than one ballot, I wouldn't take a chance on voting more than once. I don't know how they do it where you live, but in California, they keep track of who has already voted.
HOW?

Back