PoA Weight loss support.

This is one of my most successful threads.

So proud of my fellow pilot peeps! I'm finally under 200# I have 15 to go for my goal. My trainer at the gym says 30 to go. We'll see. In 2 months I'm out of a job so I'll either go to the gym alot (while on severance) or eat my way through boredom.

This is one of my most successful threads.

So proud of my fellow pilot peeps! I'm finally under 200# I have 15 to go for my goal. My trainer at the gym says 30 to go. We'll see. In 2 months I'm out of a job so I'll either go to the gym alot (while on severance) or eat my way through boredom.

Wow. That is really good news. I mean that. :yes:

It's a life style change that is hard to do because it is between your ears. Good on you!

I know my 20 pounds might not sounds like a lot to people, but it just makes me mad at myself for getting to that point.

Fellow POA weight loss friends......

I have a question........

What do you do to reduce hunger? I find myself kinda not really hungry just wanting something to eat.

Any ideas?

Do something with your hands other then eat. That's why smokers take up a hobby (usually knitting) you're eating because your "bored". So get up take a walk outside and get some fresh air, call a friend. There is a woman at work that eats probably 10-15 of chocolate a day and she says "I like to do something with my hands" I personally turn to PoA when I get *antsy* and don't feel like doing my job. It's a good way to give my brain a break. You could eat something with protein (those protein shakes are surprisingly filling for me...and protein is good for you - I like the Special K Double Chocolate ones, they're in the breakfast cereal aisle) or Fiber One bar :) I like the Oats & Chocolate.

The real interesting part of weight loss when you over 50 is how people who haven't seen you in a while handle seeing you for the first time after you lost the weight. In my case, I lost a lot in the face so I no longer have that cherub look. Some people would say "how are things?" in anticipation of a negative answer, while others would say "you look good" and then have a panic look on their face thinking "what if he is sick?".

I didn't think about the sick angle. Good point, it could be something like illness.

What do you do to reduce hunger? I find myself kinda not really hungry just wanting something to eat.

Any ideas?

I drink water....:yes:;)

Wow. That is really good news. I mean that. :yes:

It's a life style change that is hard to do because it is between your ears. Good on you!

I know my 20 pounds might not sounds like a lot to people, but it just makes me mad at myself for getting to that point.

20 pounds is a huge deal. I've been many different sizes but I would say that at one point I lost 30 pounds. Towards the end even 3 - 5 pounds is noticeable. I mean to the person who has the weight on them. You notice it in your clothes and especially on the treadmill (feeling solid vs. not solid)

Any ideas?

Spinach (with low calorie dressing) - crunchy, good for you

Carrots - crunchy, bulk, good for you

Fat Free Popcorn - same

Water - fills you up

I eat every hour or two at work about 50 - 200 calories. Then the end of the day comes and I never even noticed that I only took in 800 calories which gives me lots of options for dinner.

Do something with your hands other then eat. That's why smokers take up a hobby (usually knitting) you're eating because your "bored". So get up take a walk outside and get some fresh air, call a friend. There is a woman at work that eats probably 10-15 of chocolate a day and she says "I like to do something with my hands" I personally turn to PoA when I get *antsy* and don't feel like doing my job. It's a good way to give my brain a break. You could eat something with protein (those protein shakes are surprisingly filling for me...and protein is good for you - I like the Special K Double Chocolate ones, they're in the breakfast cereal aisle) or Fiber One bar :) I like the Oats & Chocolate.

I got a stand up desk after hurting myself at the gym (lower back). I can fidget a lot more now (shift weight) and I think it burns more calories. Even in heels I'm never tired or sore. Been standing for 1 month now.

I got a stand up desk after hurting myself at the gym (lower back). I can fidget a lot more now (shift weight) and I think it burns more calories. Even in heels I'm never tired or sore. Been standing for 1 month now.

Stand up desk ???..:dunno:

Any ideas?

What has worked for me:

1) grit my teeth and just get used to it. I know that stinks, but eventually I got used to not eating as much

2) change habits - of particular use for me is to not plop down in front of the TV and grab the snacks for the evening. I need to get up and do other tasks (do you have a list of things that need doing around the house?)

Eating in moderation and exercise is key to success!

Last edited:
Ok....enough already. Time to make a change, a big change.

Actually I started getting serious on Jan 16th. Our daughter said she needed help staying motivated, so she bought Fitbit Zips for her sister and both the wife and I. We've been trying to keep everyone moving and breathing.

In 5 weeks I'm down almost 2gals of Avgas. So averaging 2#/week should be maintainable for a while. 4 more gals to go.

Ok....enough already. Time to make a change, a big change.

Actually I started getting serious on Jan 16th. Our daughter said she needed help staying motivated, so she bought Fitbit Zips for her sister and both the wife and I. We've been trying to keep everyone moving and breathing.

In 5 weeks I'm down almost 2gals of Avgas. So averaging 2#/week should be maintainable for a while. 4 more gals to go.

That is one great way to state your position in a aviation:yes: way..

Hang in there weight loss brothers and sisters! :cheers: ( diet beer)

I have lost 11 pounds! :happydance:

Portion control, exercise, portion control.

Pretzels instead of chips, yogurt with fruit, grab an apple or banana if you get hungry. A piece of bread & peanut butter if you have to have something. No drive thoughs.

Will power! :wonderwoman:

I have 9 to go to 200 pounds.

Last edited:
I've plateaued at 8lbs down. Still aways to go. The good news is that I haven't put it back on.

Anyway, applause to all your progress....

Long term goals -

Goals -
Currently at 295 lbs from a high of 325 in mid October. Want to get to 225 eventually, but realistically I'm going to go for five lbs a month and want to be at 250 by 11/1/13. I think 4-5 lbs a month is reasonable with the workout schedule I'm on.

I committed to running a 5 mile race at Thanksgiving. Want to finish in one hour at worst. Might modify this goal as I incorporate road running cardio this summer.

I want to run a nine minute mile by 6/1/13.

I want to do one chin-up. No idea how long this will take but I want it. Never been able to do one. No idea on timeline.

Be able to Plank for two minutes.

Bench press 315. This is close to my previous max(20 years ago!) No idea timeline or guarantee this semi-old man can get there.

My wife is a triathlete and my goal is to do a sprint distance Tri in 2014. That is 750m swim, 20km bike, and 5k run.

So far I've had motivation I didn't know I had and am feeling GREAT!!!

Eggman

Wife started doing Advocare about a month ago and I decided to try it with her. Also using myfitnesspal to track exercise and calories. Was 283 lbs this morning making that a 13 lb loss in 8 weeks.

Cardiovascular improvement has been amazing - I'm accomplishing things that have never been possible for me before. Saturday I did 60 minutes on a recumbent bike in a hill program. Had to chug through the tough hills, but the recovery was so quick in the off peak. Broke a 10 minute mile on the treadmill for the first time last week. Continuing with interval training. Was able to run 9.5mph for 60 seconds during this last mile attempt.

Weight training has continued when I'm home and the changes in body shape are awesome. I've lost many inches where it matters(waist, hips, thighs) and just a few in the "muscle" areas(chest, arms, calves). Had to buy new belts this week(that felt really good). Made one big mistake - when I went from body weight squats into barbell I went too heavy. Got the sets done that I wanted. Thought the muscles were ready and instead was treated to four days of "second day pain". Ouch.

When away from home I'm trying to work through this progression. http://i.imgur.com/zw13Y.jpg

Up to 75 seconds of a good plank.

Motivation is still great and very happy with progress!

Wife started doing Advocare about a month ago and I decided to try it with her. Also using myfitnesspal to track exercise and calories. Was 283 lbs this morning making that a 13 lb loss in 8 weeks.

Cardiovascular improvement has been amazing - I'm accomplishing things that have never been possible for me before. Saturday I did 60 minutes on a recumbent bike in a hill program. Had to chug through the tough hills, but the recovery was so quick in the off peak. Broke a 10 minute mile on the treadmill for the first time last week. Continuing with interval training. Was able to run 9.5mph for 60 seconds during this last mile attempt.

Weight training has continued when I'm home and the changes in body shape are awesome. I've lost many inches where it matters(waist, hips, thighs) and just a few in the "muscle" areas(chest, arms, calves). Had to buy new belts this week(that felt really good). Made one big mistake - when I went from body weight squats into barbell I went too heavy. Got the sets done that I wanted. Thought the muscles were ready and instead was treated to four days of "second day pain". Ouch.

When away from home I'm trying to work through this progression. http://i.imgur.com/zw13Y.jpg

Wow! Congrats! Keep up the good work, but be careful!

Keep it going! I am a firm believer in the tools needed to be successful. Mishandling the caloric intake can make you fat in a heartbeat. I started on 1/1/2012 with my last (and hopefully forever) weight loss attempt. By August I was down 75 pounds and I have been able to maintain it by watching what I eat through myfitnesspal, watching calories through a FitBit and tracking of exercises. It is all math and although I find that to maintain weight requires me to be disciplined in watching everything, I haven't looked or felt this good in years.

You and I were about the same weight when we started. I called it my "cement cracking days". When you get down in the 230 range, things will be great.

I can even use my talking scale again! When I was fat I would get on it in the morning and it would say "One at a time please!". Not anymore! (That was a joke)

Keep going!

I started feeling better about my weight so I slacked off and haven't been to the gym as much. Gained back about 5 pounds. Newest goal is a wedding I'm going to attend at the end of the month. If I can get back on track that would be ideal.

I've been lurking here a while now, I might as well come out of the closet.

In May 2011 I took my class III physical and weighed 270, way, way too high for 5' 8".

It didn't help that I have the world's most sedentary job (software developer). At place that has a large well stocked free kitchen full of every kind of junk food.

In the summer of 2012 I swore off the free junk food and got a CPAP machine. That's when I started making slow but steady real progress.

By Christmas 2012 I was down to about 254, which was still ridiculous, but at least I lost a pound or two over the holidays.

On 1/17/2013 I went on the Medifast plan and the results have been astonishing. According my knee doctor, between Dec 2011 and early March 2013 I lost exactly 50 pounds. About 35 of that was since January.

Medifast is a great plan, especially for people like me who have a fairly predictable schedule.

It boils down to eating six or seven times a day, drinking lots of water, and consuming a diet of about 1000 calories and 100 grams of carbs daily. Five of the meals are purchased from Medifast, two ('lean' and 'green') you make yourself.

I can tell you more if you're interested, but this plan absolutely works, and after the first week to ten days you don't feel like you are on a diet anymore. I least I don't. After that fairly tough first week I find I'm never truly hungry, and in fact often have a hard time eating all the food they want you to eat. Very occasionally I have cravings, but so far I haven't fallen off the wagon.

After three months I'd lost ~37 pounds, +/- 1 pound.

I have way more energy now that I'm not carrying a fifty pound bag of crap with me every day. I know that as long as I stay on the Medifast plan I'll average losing 3 or 4 pounds a week.

I am concerning about transitioning off the plan. Once I get to my as-yet-to-be-determined final goal weight I'm worried that the real hard work will begin.

I'm doing fine now, it's when I hit 'goal' that I'm sure I'll need all the support I can get.

Last edited:
Good for you, Jim.

My weight has bounced around but been on the heavy side most of my life. I am 5' 10". The most I ever weighed was about 252 when I married in 1996. My then-wife and I went on the Adkins diet and regular walks and I got it down to 190. I carry a fair bit of muscle and that is not far from my ideal. But it did not last and for years, I hovered around 225. In Nov. 2011, I wanted to try my hand at skydiving but I was too heavy for the AFF program chutes. I needed to loose 10 lbs and I did that in about 10 days just by cutting down the calories. I ate a breakfast, no lunch or a snack, and a light dinner. I would eat nothing after 6 PM and drink an extra bottle of water at bedtime. After the skydive, my weight crept back up, hitting maybe 232. I did my thing again and got it down to 208 but let it go up again. I am divorced, live alone, and have a taste for pizza and Haagen-Daz :yes:

Fat guy falling (yes, I know my technique is terrible). I had my heart set on putting it in the sand target my first time but this guy was in the way and did not move so I had to make a hard turn at the last instant. He was an instructor concentrating on his student (not my instructor).

attachment.php

Anyway, I am at it again. On the way down again. Unlike the Adkins, which I find hard to maintain, I have no problem with my diet if I stay away from the pizza and ice cream. Obviously one problem is exercise. I joined a running program in Jan and worked up to running 5k but it just reminded me how much I dislike exercise for its own sake. I love skiing and like to be active but things like running or going to the gym leave me cold. I think I will start taking karate again next month. I really need structure when it comes to exercise, any sort of program or group activity.

attachment.php

Attachments

• S1052513.jpg
    S1052513.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_7462.jpg
    IMG_7462.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
Jim - congratulations on the weight loss! When you begin transitioning from your Medfast plan you may want to consider a calorie tracker to help keep tabs on things. Most of these plans are designed to limit caloric intake and make it easier for you to eat the right amount per meal.

Once you go back to the real world, you will need a way to keep tabs on where you are for the day. I started with the LoseIt! app on my iPad and then migrated to myfitnesspal since it had a better bar code database of foods. I also carry a FitBit pedometer to help measure my activity.

It all comes down to math and make sure it works out. I've been down 75 lbs since August and have been able to maintain it -- but it has been a challenge not to fall into bad habits!

Jim - congratulations on the weight loss! When you begin transitioning from your Medfast plan you may want to consider a calorie tracker to help keep tabs on things. Most of these plans are designed to limit caloric intake and make it easier for you to eat the right amount per meal.

I agree 100% on tracking what you eat. Right now I'm using the Medifast we page and iOS app, which works for MF but is too lame to continue with once I transition off this plan.

I appreciate suggestions for apps and monitoring devices.

Most of all I appreciate all the encouraging words!

OK so I gained back about 5-10 lbs and decided to do something. I have a 287 square foot studio apartment and bought a TREADMILL. Yes, I do pay a gym for a monthly membership (they have 500 gyms in the USA). The only one near my apartment doesn't have treadmills free until after 10pm so I had to do something. The elliptical in my apartment didn't even make me break a sweat.

So last night, for the very first time, I ran / walked in my living room. It was just like I do at the gym, except I had my TV and Netflix, and had the hour to start cooking dinner in the oven which was ready when I got off the treadmill.

It was fabulous! Now if only I can keep this up.

EDIT: yes, the treadmill takes up the entire apartment. No, I don't care. If that is what it takes then that is what it takes. I always feel great after a run and it does sort of "fold up".

I've never been into, nor had I ever used any weight loss supplements until I tried Advocare. My wife and I were very successful using their products. I lost 30 lbs, and my wife lost about 20 in about 3 months. As a person who refused to use any of the bullcrap we normally see on TV, I really did some research on the Advocare products, and can report that everything in it is good for you. It's good stuff. Nothing is better than good old fashioned excercise and proper diet, but Advocare can be a great help. Often times, when people try to diet, we end up depriving ourselves of some of the things we need. Advocare gives you what you need, so you don't need to eat as much to get it. It you are being nourished properly, you lose weight easier. Give it a try if you need a hand.

P.S. I'm not an Advocare marketer or anything like that, but because my wife and I use so much of it, we are distributers. We've never actually sold any to anyone else, but the distributership allows use to get it cheaper. If you want some, we can get it for you at a discount, or you can just buy straight from them.

If you live on the top floor you could just run the stairs for 30 minutes...

Thanks but no thanks. It rains and I don't really like my neighbors. Also on my treadmill I can use my laptop, read POA, watch movies, and drink water.

Do keep in mind that once you reach your goal you will still need the tools you used to get there. If you revert to the dietary/exercise habits you engaged before the weight loss, you will gain it back. Maintenance is as if not more important than weight loss.

I drop ten when I get done teaching (need the energy while I'm instructing). I need to do something to reduce my blood pressure. Fortunately my weight has been stable for some time.

Swimming is an activity that burns lots of calories, is easy on the joints, supports your weight, builds muscular strength and endurance, improves cardiovascular fitness, cools you off and refreshes you in summer. I have been a swimmer my whole life and definitely recommend it to anyone looking to shape up.
No doubt a relaxing form of exercise means weight lost by swimming is fun too!

Our Quality Products | Above Ground Pools

Last edited:
I'm 29, physically disabled and winter was hard this year with a surgery recovery on top of that. I live in Lincoln Nebraska and use a wheelchair around 90% of the time and my feet skin grafts break down from overuse so I need to be careful how much I abuse them on a stationary bicycle. I'm starting April around 205 pounds with a height near 6 feet. I was down to 180 last year and I sure miss it.

I don't drink much beer, alchohol or soda. Usually the first 15 come off easy. I'll post back weekly.

Being a triple amputee I can't use all the machines available so I pretty much stick to the following

#1 Sit-ups - on an inclined bench doodad (did 275 this weekend over 4 sessions.)

#2 Bicep Curls (arms)

#3 Tricep Extensions (arms)

#4 Quadricep Extensions (leg extension)

#5 Hamstrings (leg curls)

#6 Stationary bicycle - careful not to over use my feet due to skin grafts being easily damaged.

Week 0 - 207
Week 1 - 211
Week 2 - 207

I drink plenty of water and/or unsweet ice tea. I eat too much drive through stuff since I don't cook a lot since my kitchen is small and its a PITA for me to use it.

I'm sure the Runza salads aren't even that healthy. Subway is a favorite of mine.

I'm fortunate to have a gym at my employer so I go there on 15 minute breaks and try to go regularly after work.

PJ is leading/coaching a 60 day challenge of Les Mills' Combat starting in May. I've signed up to participate in that. Just got back from walking the track 50 minutes at lunchtime.

I worked at a home improvement store. Lifting bags of cement, boxes of tile, lumber all day long plus walking miles while on the job is the best exercise you can get. And you get paid for it! I am not in that kind of shape anymore, but it is tempting to go back sometimes.

Back