PoA Weight loss support.

I am trying my best. That said, my family life is in crisis and has gone to ****, and I am feeling very, very indulgent.

Hope you're OK Michael. Doesn't sound good. :(

I'm in, went to the doctor today, I weighed in at 155lbs. I'm only 5'5" tall, so according to the BMI chart in my doctor's office, I am overweight. I already eat & drink healthy, I just need to get myself on the bicycle again. I hope to get my weight down to 140 or 135.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

As I've said to a number of folks recently, I need to drop 4 or 5.

Gallons, that is.

Baby steps started, but got a torrent of the Insanity workout going as I type, just, you know, because.

I also need to buy a bathroom scale so that I can keep track of my weight lost.

If you haven't tried it already, I recommend the app, My Fitness Pal. MFP makes it very easy to look up foods, ready made and home made, and log exercise, so you can make sure you burn more than you take in. That, to me, is the only weight loss equation that makes sense. I worked down to my ideal weight, quickly celebrated right back up to my starting weight, and am chipping away at it again. I prefer eating regular meals and getting some exercise in vastly more than not exercising and eating little snacks. So, SA exercises ~2 hours a day and slams down double quarter pounders (I think I just threw up a little in my mouth) to balance his burn equation. Cooking and preparing at home makes it very easy to make a filling, tasty, and satisfying meal with reasonable calories. Preparing big meals that make lunch and then extra leftovers that can be swapped or combined, means you only have to cook a few times per week.

I have been on a diet for a week now. I have already lost a few pounds. Now, I just need to add back in some more exercise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

So who is with me on losing weight this winter?!

What a great thread to introduce myself! I have been a pilot for 23 years and been in various stages of being "over my certified maximum" for all of those years. On January 1st, I loaded an app called LoseIt! and decided it was time to fix this problem once and for all. (I subsequently moved over to myfitnesspal because it has a better bar code reader).

Since then I am down 76 pounds and have been maintaining a healthy BMI. I have heard all the excuses (heck I used most of them!). It is all simple math - I'm here for the support (both to give and receive). I'm in!

What a great thread to introduce myself! I have been a pilot for 23 years and been in various stages of being "over my certified maximum" for all of those years. On January 1st, I loaded an app called LoseIt! and decided it was time to fix this problem once and for all. (I subsequently moved over to myfitnesspal because it has a better bar code reader).

Since then I am down 76 pounds and have been maintaining a healthy BMI. I have heard all the excuses (heck I used most of them!). It is all simple math - I'm here for the support (both to give and receive). I'm in!
Welcome to PoA. -76# is a great number. Congratulations on getting and maintaining that healthy BMI.

OK, Sara, I'm back in. I just ordered a replacement FitBit for the one I lost. It really helps keep me exercising. No Halloween candy for me.

Welcome to PoA. -76# is a great number. Congratulations on getting and maintaining that healthy BMI.

Thank you! I've entered the challenging phase of weight loss - maintaining it. I hate to say this, but I have repeated this cycle a couple of other times in the past 10 years.

What I think is different this time is the rigor I have watching the calories with the app (btw - I use a FitBit as well, and I've lost one of those critters as well). Having immediate access to the calories and knowing where i stand for the day has made all the difference.

Thanks for the welcome!

Last edited:
I AM!
Winter is the best time. It's cool enough to workout to your hearts content and you have more days off to do so. I actually stall in the summer cause it's too hot to move.

I'm aiming to lose 65 lbs at 1.5 lbs / week so it's a year long effort. The weird part is that even when I hit my goal the chart says I'll still be overweight.

I AM!
Winter is the best time. It's cool enough to workout to your hearts content and you have more days off to do so. I actually stall in the summer cause it's too hot to move.

I'm aiming to lose 65 lbs at 1.5 lbs / week so it's a year long effort. The weird part is that even when I hit my goal the chart says I'll still be overweight.

I'm the opposite - I really, really hate the cold. Doesn't really affect my gym workouts (indoors) but it puts a cramp on my outdoor activities. I have no issues riding my bike in 100+ degree weather other than I need to make a lot of water stops, but when the temperature starts dropping below 50, BRRRRRRRRR no thank you. I put on the long spandex and thermal undershirt when temps drop below 70.

Yeah we have support. So this thread should NOT drop off the first page. Keep up the momentum everyone. After I go for my physical at the doctors today (Where she'll sigh and say well I guess you lost 5 lbs from last year...and I'll say "This year is different!" I'm not that overweight but she doesn't like the extra 30# either) I'm hitting the gym and probably try running the steps to impress my trainer.

still struggling to get the first 5 pounds to stay off...

I AM!

Find a different scale for your proper weight. The diet I started has 3 different weight ranges for different types of bone structures.. The weights vary a bit. I do not have the book in front of me, but for my height, the weight ranged from 150 lbs down to 115 lbs. I can give a more accurate statement later of that.

Technically I don't need to lose anymore weight; my BMI (24) is in the "normal" range as well as by my own subjective criteria.

But according to some of the material I've found, greater health benefits are more probable about 8 lbs less than my current weight (BMI 18.5 to 22.9).

If I may suggest one possible motivational action to others: post once a week one's lowest weight or average weight for the past week, minus one's starting weight.

So I start at 0 lbs (actually 158 lbs, but no one needs to know my absolute weight.) A week from now I'm down to 157, so I'd post -1. Next week if I'm down to 156 I'd post -2. If I gain back a couple to 158 because of holiday feasting, I'd post 0. No one needs to know anyone's absolute weight, just the amount lost or gained.

Because I seem to have plateaued, and because I know from past efforts that I can't seem to lose more than 1 lb every 1.5 weeks over the long term, my own goal is to lose 2 lbs a month for the next 4 months.

Yeah pilots getting healthy. Anyone can join in on the fun! Went to the doctor she was proud of me for losing 10 lbs since last year..."Scale is going the right direction" She didn't like the blood pressure though (Don't eat Taco Bell before going to the doctor) So I gotta go back in a month for them to recheck it. I think it was white coat syndrome I was annoyed at the nurse for asking dumb questions beforehand.

In 2002 I lost 82 pounds by working out 3 hours a night! Of course that was not sustainable and over time the 3 hours became 2 and then 1 and the weight went up 5, then 10, then 20 -- all the while convincing myself that I could "get it back".

Bottom line, weight lost is just like flying, you need to live within the numbers. All of those companies that sell packaged solutions are basically offering different ways to count the numbers. In the end, it is nothing more than calories in and calories out.

After losing 76 pounds this time, I have conditioned my thinking to "check the numbers" before I load up the mouth cockpit. And for the last several months I have been able to maintain it.

I bought two scales from Amazon, one for liquids and one for solids. I weigh everything so I know the calories. When I eat out (I travel a lot), I ask for the dietary table for their restaurant. If they can't produce it, I search CalorieKing to get an idea of how much I am potentially going to take on. If I can't find it, I look or ask for the low calorie selections.

When it comes to weight loss, I had gotten pretty good at making excuses. One day I just realized that to realistically be able to keep my medical and fly long into my senior years, I needed to own the weight and balance! We spent a lot of time & money on flying. Whether its training, renting/owning a plane or just poking holes in the sky, we should consider this just a way of protecting our investments. The former fat man stepping off of the pulpit. Sorry! :nono:

Bought the app "Zombies, Run!" for half price today. Maybe it will do better than NPR to get me going. :)

According to the gizmo thing at the gym I lost 2.0% of body fat in a month. Go ahead ask if I go flying anymore. (From one addiction to another) Okay yeah I did put 0.4 on the hobbs last night for night currency but that has been the extent of it. Starting to fall in love with the gym again and heck it's winter, preflighting in the winter sucks.

You can do both sara, I do. For me, the gym isn't an addiction, it's a daily requirement. Kind of like eating and breathing. If I don't do it, even one day, I just don't feel right.

Anyway, keep it up. But don't treat it as an addiction, treat it as a new way of life.

Still making the shift to higher fiber, lower calories diet. I don't seek out food that say "high fiber" but instead some replace foods with oats & whole wheat. The great irony is that the caloric dense foods leads me to eat less food.
Also cut out soda except for 2 cheat days a week. Except for coffee, milk, & tea I've eliminated sugary drinks to save 150-300 calories a meal. I just hope I can weather the side effects without going crazy.

Still making the shift to higher fiber, lower calories diet. I don't seek out food that say "high fiber" but instead some replace foods with oats & whole wheat. The great irony is that the caloric dense foods leads me to eat less food.
Also cut out soda except for 2 cheat days a week. Except for coffee, milk, & tea I've eliminated sugary drinks to save 150-300 calories a meal. I just hope I can weather the side effects without going crazy.

You get used to it. I have a big bag of candy at my desk at work. I can honestly say the only time I touch it is to hand it out to other people at work. You just need to get the sugar out of your system, and eventually your body stops craving it.

You get used to it. I have a big bag of candy at my desk at work. I can honestly say the only time I touch it is to hand it out to other people at work. You just need to get the sugar out of your system, and eventually your body stops craving it.

I second this comment. I was in love with food, especially CHOCOLATE! At some point your body figures out that you mean business and the uncontrolled appetite gets checked.

According to the gizmo thing at the gym I lost 2.0% of body fat in a month. Go ahead ask if I go flying anymore. (From one addiction to another) Okay yeah I did put 0.4 on the hobbs last night for night currency but that has been the extent of it. Starting to fall in love with the gym again and heck it's winter, preflighting in the winter sucks.

Congrats! Keep losing the same number of pounds each month and you'll vanish in 4 years and 2 months. :wink2:

I haven't lost (or gained) anything in the last week. But we're in the middle of a master bathroom remodel and I had to move and cover the elliptical machine because it was set up near the bathroom, so haven't been exercising.

I second this comment. I was in love with food, especially CHOCOLATE! At some point your body figures out that you mean business and the uncontrolled appetite gets checked.
I hope so. About 3 years ago when I over did it (1500 kCal limit + exercise) and was really shedding the lbs I found that constantly telling myself "no" over several months made me a sad angry man. Not sure if that was from arguing with myself or the 24/7 hunger and soreness but something I desperately want to avoid this time.

I hope so. About 3 years ago when I over did it (1500 kCal limit + exercise) and was really shedding the lbs I found that constantly telling myself "no" over several months made me a sad angry man. Not sure if that was from arguing with myself or the 24/7 hunger and soreness but something I desperately want to avoid this time.

I went through two different approaches to lose a combined 150+ pounds in two attempts. The first time I lost weight was through heavy exercising, eating what I wanted and not counting anything. Because I was not watching the caloric part, when I dropped the exercise intensity and not the food intake, I began gaining weight. Of course, I initially cut back on the food -- until the hunger pangs started hitting me. Then ate enough to stop them, but not the weight increase. I too was an angry man through this...

This time around I am paying close attention to the caloric piece. There is a lot of good stuff on the web to help you determine how many calories are burned by your BMR and what exercise you do. My food intake process is more lengthy (I measure everything). The difference between the two measures is whether you win or lose the battle. I had similar concerns over the hunger piece, but after a couple of months, they disminished and I find myself eating in moderation without all of the "I'm hungry" stuff.

One thing I still do that is considered controversial by some is that I weigh myself every day. I do this to set the mental tone for the day for me. If I gained weight, I try to stay a bit lighter on the calorie intake for the day. This is where I lost it in the past. I would accept 3 or 4 pounds gained in a week, figuring I would "work it off" over the next week. It never happened and I gained it all back.

One thing I still do that is considered controversial by some is that I weigh myself every day.

I didn't know that was controversial - I've been weighing myself every day before going into the shower in the morning.

I didn't know that was controversial - I've been weighing myself every day before going into the shower in the morning.

In the "weight loss community" there is a school of thought that weighing yourself everyday is demoralizing. Because of hydration and bodily functions (more "too much information" stuff for Geico) your weight will vary day to day. I am consistently between 202 and 207. That said, if I see the trend stay high for a couple of days or a I see a big weight increase from the previous day, I lighten my calorie intake for that day.

Down one gallon over two weeks.

Yes, I know the next gallon will be harder.

I am down from 179 to 174. Not a big loss for one month of dieting. Last week I started out a little work out regimen. On my lunch break I hit the fitness center at work and burn about 100 calories on the treadmill, then I use some weights for 10 minutes. In the evening at home(currently about every other) I try to do more situps, and pushups then previous sessions. Plus some stretching. I hope I can get the rate of weight loss up. I would like to lose a total of 34 pounds in 6 months, but at this rate my be longer.

still fighting to keep that first 5 pounds off. arggggh

Back