PoA Weight loss support.

I hope those of you using packaged soups to loose weight are monitoring your blood pressure. Those things are chock full of sodium, and lots of folks are at risk for sodium dependent hypertension.

Ain't that the truth Michael. I was even in the organic section of the market the other day to see if I could get some healthy soups and even in that section the sodium was uber high the difference was that they used sea salt vs. I suppose Iodized salt. What gives with putting liquid in a can? Why does it automatically call for so much salt?

Good for all of you that have lost weight. Slimming down is better for your heart, joints, and overall self esteem.

My 6 mile/day hike seems to be keeping me in good stead, indeed it is a bit of an ordeal through an Ohio winter. I'm afraid weight loss is going to involve reduced caloric intake, and that is unlikely to happen until I am done with classes. Wish me luck.

Actually a chiropractor friend of my Mom's said it is safer to carry a little extra weight rather than to lose and gain significant amounts over and over such as 20 - 50 pounds.

Who knows?

Kimberly

Ain't that the truth Michael. I was even in the organic section of the market the other day to see if I could get some healthy soups and even in that section the sodium was uber high the difference was that they used sea salt vs. I suppose Iodized salt. What gives with putting liquid in a can? Why does it automatically call for so much salt?

Soup without much salt is unpalatable to us, we just aren't used to it. At the kitchens of Steinholme we make most of our own soups. They are higher in sodium than I like but lower in calories than most anything else we or anyone else eats. They are far lower in sodium than prepackaged soups, putting us in a bit of a winning situation.

Says me make your own and freeze it. I suspect we'll be thawing some minestrone tomorrow. We only rely on prepackaged soups for sickness.

Sodium-dependent hypertension doesn't run at all in my family, but it does strongly in Mrs. Steingar's, so I watch out carefully for these things. Besides soup, I barely cook with any salt at all, except for brining and fermentation.

Actually a chiropractor friend of my Mom's said it is safer to carry a little extra weight rather than to lose and gain significant amounts over and over such as 20 - 50 pounds.

Who knows?

Kimberly

I lost 100 lbs, and started having problems with ITBS. (popping hips)

1) he's young
2) he's active
3) he's young

Your best bet Spike is to try for one of those as the other is unattainable.

Harsh.

True, but harsh.

Soup without much salt is unpalatable to us, we just aren't used to it. At the kitchens of Steinholme we make most of our own soups. They are higher in sodium than I like but lower in calories than most anything else we or anyone else eats. They are far lower in sodium than prepackaged soups, putting us in a bit of a winning situation.

Says me make your own and freeze it. I suspect we'll be thawing some minestrone tomorrow. We only rely on prepackaged soups for sickness.

Sodium-dependent hypertension doesn't run at all in my family, but it does strongly in Mrs. Steingar's, so I watch out carefully for these things. Besides soup, I barely cook with any salt at all, except for brining and fermentation.

Progresso makes some good tasting low calorie soups. Also, there is new medical evidence that is coming forth that salt is not as evil as it has been made out to be. The recommended 3500 mg level for an average adult may be too low for some people. There was also research done that is suggesting that salt may not have a direct link to increased blood pressure.

I think if you wait long enough, there will always be a reversal to what is good or bad for you.

My favorite medical folklore is the one that we need 8 cups of water a day. The researcher who did that research was not looking to see how much water we needed. He was trying to determine how much water a person consumed everyday by eating foods that contained some level of water content. He found that on average, it was 8 cups of water...

Having lost a large amount of weight a couple of times in my lifetime (this time appears to be successful), I have learned that it is all a matter of how much you eat. All of those weight loss programs (NutriSystem, Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig) are all based on caloric intake. Something each and everyone of us can do by determining our BMR and being religious about our tracking of our caloric intake and output (exercise above our BMR).

1) he's young
2) he's active
3) he's young

Your best bet Spike is to try for one of those as the other is unattainable.

That's true to a degree but I don't think the young has as much to do with it as the diet control. Log everything you eat. Don't cheat. Period. Cap yourself at 900 to 1200 calories or so and you'll loose weight too.

Cut the carbs at the same time and you won't be hungry after 3 days or so.

Being active isn't nearly as important as controlling what you put into you. I dropped caffeine of all forms, alcohol, sugars, carbs, etc. No exceptions.

So.... I'm very late to this thread, but I thought i would start participating. Please be gentle....

Start - 10/1/12. I've been traveling hard for the last two years with both years over 160 nights on the road. Lots of windshield and desk time on the home days. Too many nights at restaurants. Business dinners, clients, etc... Steaks and booze. Not good. Gained about 30 lbs in those two years and hit(by far) an all time high of 325 lbs. For the year prior I have managed to do a 20 - 30 minute cardio session 2 - 3 times per week. Turned 36 in September. Have never had high blood pressure and blood work has always been great. Job is high stress and we have five kids. Feel like crap and worried that I'm well on my way to my first heart attack at an age that is way too young.

Decided 11/1/12 to change the course I was on. Did two weeks of hard zero carb. Started the treadmill and eased back into light weight lifting. Full pathetic disclosure - My first treadmill workouts about killed me. I couldn't do a 5k in under 45 minutes. I decided to make a public commitment and agreed to run the 5 mile Boulevard Bolt at Thanksgiving 2013 with my wife's family. They have been doing this for a few years and my oldest kids did it this year. I'm now on the hook with my 10 year old daughter and she is providing motivation.

11/1/12 - 1/14/13 -
Dropped 10 lbs in first two weeks and then dropped another 8 lbs through the holidays. From Christmas through today lost another 8 lbs and now see a 2 on the first scale number again. :)

Diet - Haven't been doing anything too special on the diet other than following a few simple rules - As little white food as possible. Rice, sugar, flour, etc. Protein/fat only for breakfast. Usually two eggs. Limit carbs at lunch, but a few isn't a big deal. Try to eat a normal dinner but as early as possible. Try to consume everything I eat in a 10 hour window with a 14 hour fast. I break this rule as explained below during weight lifting. Cheat every so often. I'm still going to eat a steak that is too big. Will have desert every so often. I'm finding that I now count things in "hours on the treadmill" and makes the will power a bit easier for me.

Cardio - 5 times a week including treadmill, recumbent bike, heavy bag, and occasionally the Wii. I'm someone who needs some variety. Cardio sessions anywhere from 30 - 60 minutes. Max effort mile once per week. Tonight I broke an 11 minute mile for the first time. I KNOW - STILL PATHETIC FOR A 36 YO. Currently dropping about 20 seconds a week. I thought the heavy bag workouts would hurt more, but as long as you wrap your hands and wrists properly I haven't had any soreness. Wife was a collegiate swimmer and coaches our local swim team. Planning on incorporating swimming as available.

Weight Lifting - I trained heavily in high school and off and on(more of the former) since then. I like how I feel when I lift and am certain I won't get to my weight goals without weight training. I like the visual motivation and performance gains. Tonight I did the following

3 x 12 reverse grip front lat pulldowns
3 x 12 wide front grip lat pulldowns
3 x 10 triceps kickbacks
3 x 10 standing curls
3 x 8 deadlifts
3 x 20 standing squat with just body weight. Got some dumbells coming and will incorporate them into this lift.
3 x 30 calf raises
3 x 10 standing rows
3 x 8 military press
3 x crunches to failure
3 x leg lifts to failure
3 x plank to failure
3 x 10 cable incline flyes
3 x 10 shrugs

I am going to incorporate bench press, leg extension and leg curls into this routine. About to break that into two routines that will each be done twice per week. I am doing some pre and post workout protein and energy supplementation. I know some people think this is junk, but I'm experienced enough lifting to know when I feel better and this helps. Might be just mental - but that alone is worth it.

Long term goals -

Goals -
Currently at 295 lbs from a high of 325 in mid October. Want to get to 225 eventually, but realistically I'm going to go for five lbs a month and want to be at 250 by 11/1/13. I think 4-5 lbs a month is reasonable with the workout schedule I'm on.

I committed to running a 5 mile race at Thanksgiving. Want to finish in one hour at worst. Might modify this goal as I incorporate road running cardio this summer.

I want to run a nine minute mile by 6/1/13.

I want to do one chin-up. No idea how long this will take but I want it. Never been able to do one. No idea on timeline.

Be able to Plank for two minutes.

Bench press 315. This is close to my previous max(20 years ago!) No idea timeline or guarantee this semi-old man can get there.

My wife is a triathlete and my goal is to do a sprint distance Tri in 2014. That is 750m swim, 20km bike, and 5k run.

So far I've had motivation I didn't know I had and am feeling GREAT!!!

Eggman

Having lost a large amount of weight a couple of times in my lifetime (this time appears to be successful), I have learned that it is all a matter of how much you eat. All of those weight loss programs (NutriSystem, Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig) are all based on caloric intake. Something each and everyone of us can do by determining our BMR and being religious about our tracking of our caloric intake and output (exercise above our BMR).

It's all math, with a few nuances. Get the MyFitnessPal app (free, all platforms), a great tool for tracking. Intake control has more impact than exercise, but both get fastest results.

Recommended movie: Fat Head (www.fathead-movie.com) available on Netflix. Great insights in how body uses fat. We need fat! Helpful website and Facebook group.

Spent the week at the Barrett Jackson auction. Managed to maintain weight in spite of the food and booze(if you're a bidder they give you 10 free drinks - PER DAY!?!:hairraise:). Even made it on TV a few times bidding on some fun cars!

Came home and hit the weights yesterday in one of the hardest training sessions yet. Today I did a 20 minute hard walk on the treadmill for a warm-up. 3 mph with a 20% incline. Brutal burn towards the end. Did 15 minutes on the heavy bag and then finished with max mile test using HIIT method. Modulating between 9 - 10 mph for as long as you can then back to a medium jog for me of 4.5 - 5 mph. Try to keep 30 seconds at each speed back and forth. Got it down to 10:45 on the mile and had some left in the tank - time to take the resting speed up. :goofy:

Sitting here feeling great and seeing weight loss, aerobic gains, and strength gains! I've got a shirt that I bought two years ago that was too small. I'm almost back into it and it hangs on a hook on my closet door as a daily reminder to keep at it.

Spent the week at the Barrett Jackson auction. Managed to maintain weight in spite of the food and booze(if you're a bidder they give you 10 free drinks - PER DAY!?!:hairraise:). Even made it on TV a few times bidding on some fun cars!

Came home and hit the weights yesterday in one of the hardest training sessions yet. Today I did a 20 minute hard walk on the treadmill for a warm-up. 3 mph with a 20% incline. Brutal burn towards the end. Did 15 minutes on the heavy bag and then finished with max mile test using HIIT method. Modulating between 9 - 10 mph for as long as you can then back to a medium jog for me of 4.5 - 5 mph. Try to keep 30 seconds at each speed back and forth. Got it down to 10:45 on the mile and had some left in the tank - time to take the resting speed up. :goofy:

Sitting here feeling great and seeing weight loss, aerobic gains, and strength gains! I've got a shirt that I bought two years ago that was too small. I'm almost back into it and it hangs on a hook on my closet door as a daily reminder to keep at it.
Way to go! And I think you're inspiring me, too!

Was that you bidding on the same cars I was? ;)

Don't over do it! Push yourself in the gym, but doing too much can plant a seed in your head not to return. This is a life long thing. Easy as she goes, think long term. Just saying.....:D

Good on you Egg.

Was that you bidding on the same cars I was? ;)

Don't over do it! Push yourself in the gym, but doing too much can plant a seed in your head not to return. This is a life long thing. Easy as she goes, think long term. Just saying.....:D

Good on you Egg.

I've built the "gym" in my basement over the last year to remove as much impediment to continuing as I could. Treadmill, recumbent bike, dumbbell set, heavy bag, bench, TV with DVD and Wii, Bowflex. All this about 30 feet from my master entertainment and family area. While it was a long time ago, I was a heavy weight lifter in high school and have that experience to fall back on. My wife had our five kids and decided to get fit after the last and has lost about 65 lbs in the last two years and has attained her weight when she graduated college. This is impressive as she was a swimmer and was in "fighting" shape when she graduated. My other impetus to do this and keep at it are my two oldest kids. My daughter is 10 and I'm starting to dread the thought of walking her down the isle one day. If I'm going to have to do that - I'm damn well going to look good doing it. The other is my 8 year old son who is turning into a champion swimmer himself. I want to be able to work out with him and more importantly delay the date when he can kick my ass.

I did body measurements this morning for the first time in a month and the results were shocking. My arms have lost 1", chest 3", waist 3", thighs 1.5" and this morning my weight was at lowest it's been in three years. I'm clipping along at about 1.5 lbs per week.

The next challenge - in the coming two weeks I will only be home four days. Next week is an industry conference with every night out for dinner.....

Preservative.

...............The next challenge - in the coming two weeks I will only be home four days. Next week is an industry conference with every night out for dinner.....

Not a problem.... It is called self control and salads.. :yes:

Preservative.

Forgive me for being negative, but this just isn't so. Packaged soups will happily grow all sorts of microbiological flora. They are sterilized before being sealed in the can, otherwise they'd spoil quickly.

The level of salt needed for preservation is exceedingly high. Indeed, brining is the oldest method of preservation and was in wide use here up until the invention of refrigeration. The salt becomes so concentrated that insufficient water is available for most microbes. Many deli style meats, like Pastrami and Corned Beef were created this way. I suspect meats were originally packed into smoke houses to preserve them from vermin (the smoke being too hypoxic) and the smokey taste was just a by product.

Pickling was used for a great number of animal and vegetable products. Enough salt is added to inhibit the growth of all but a few commensal bacteria that themselves ferment sugars, lowering the pH (further preventing bacterial growth) and giving the foods a sour taste. These days most folks make pickles with salt and vinegar, again mostly for the taste. You can keep vegetables fresh for some time in the fridge.

And just to keep this post on track and do something other than show off how smart I think I am, I'll give you another winning strategy for weight loss. Get really, really sick so that you can't eat anything for days on end. Works great! I lost five pounds!

Get really, really sick so that you can't eat anything for days on end. Works great! I lost five pounds!

Me too! I think I gained it back when I got my taste back.

I got to a great point (very low) and spent the next several days cheating. Back up almost 5 pounds above that within 1 week. Going back to that low point now.

I know, I know, it is a lifelong thing. But it is hard. Really hard. Slowly but surely however I'm meeting all my goals - simply goals of 1 pound per week or 5 pounds every 5 weeks. I have a checkbox and a journal. The checkbox is every 5 pounds (for example: 110 lbs by 3-1-2013 or whatever). I only check the box after I've been at or under the declared weight in 5lb increments for at least two weeks in a row. This is because sometimes you just drop a bunch but it comes right back.

I think I have something between 2-4 check boxes left and then I'm done. I'm not using the at home elliptical every day / morning as planned but at least it is there and I do think it is helping. I went to the gym the other night around 6pm or 7pm and there were over 10 people WAITING for equipment. Went home without a workout. I either have to go to the gym around 9pm or later, work out at home alone, or wait until Saturday and Sunday to go to the gym. I want to add weight training now.

I'm at 161.2 lbs right now which is probably about right. I've stabilized at this for a few weeks now without any weight gain. Eating limited whole grain carbs, practicing portion control, and still eating lots of steak. I avoid sweets.

I'm at 161.2 lbs right now which is probably about right. I've stabilized at this for a few weeks now without any weight gain. Eating limited whole grain carbs, practicing portion control, and still eating lots of steak. I avoid sweets.

I'm fatter than you now .

Yea me! I've turned the corner!

Portion control, exercise, portion control, and no rum. :mad:

Do the make a low cal rum? :no:

:lol:

Down 3 pounds! 12 more to go!

Yea me! I've turned the corner!

Portion control, exercise, portion control, and no rum. :mad:

Do the make a low cal rum? :no:

:lol:

Down 3 pounds! 12 more to go!

I tried cutting out booze but now I just figure out the calories and eat less.

I just talked (instant message) to an old friend who I only knew during a time I wasn't this size. Apparently I'm different. In thinking about it that is true. I have more energy now. Still a ways to go but at least I've hit the half way point and all the goals so far. And pretty soon I'll hit the "I could be ok with this" point where anything further in terms of loss is just a bonus. I think we all set goals that are high and sometimes unrealistic. I'm still going to try, after all I was that size in my 20s but I will also be real if I can't get there. As much as I swear up and down I'll go to the gym and eat salad I enjoy life too much to be that way all the time.

I just talked (instant message) to an old friend who I only knew during a time I wasn't this size. Apparently I'm different. In thinking about it that is true. I have more energy now. Still a ways to go but at least I've hit the half way point and all the goals so far. And pretty soon I'll hit the "I could be ok with this" point where anything further in terms of loss is just a bonus. I think we all set goals that are high and sometimes unrealistic. I'm still going to try, after all I was that size in my 20s but I will also be real if I can't get there. As much as I swear up and down I'll go to the gym and eat salad I enjoy life too much to be that way all the time.

The real interesting part of weight loss when you over 50 is how people who haven't seen you in a while handle seeing you for the first time after you lost the weight. In my case, I lost a lot in the face so I no longer have that cherub look. Some people would say "how are things?" in anticipation of a negative answer, while others would say "you look good" and then have a panic look on their face thinking "what if he is sick?".

Down 5 and 15 to go!

Portion control and exercise!

Starting to feel better. Hard work, but well worth the effort.

Back