PoA Weight loss support.

I worked at a home improvement store. Lifting bags of cement, boxes of tile, lumber all day long plus walking miles while on the job is the best exercise you can get. And you get paid for it! I am not in that kind of shape anymore, but it is tempting to go back sometimes.

With the way my airline is going, I might be working at HD or Lowes soon.

I have lost 33 lbs. since Jan. 2. I use myfitnesspal also, it's a great tool. Perhaps someone could start a POA group there.

I have no idea how to start a group so yeah I will follow your lead.

6 lbs and 6 or 7 to go!

Progress from 12/30/12 - 5/1/13

I've done well breaking out my inner nerd on this project(I like data).

http://www.bodymedia.com/
http://myfitnesspal.com
http://withings.com

Lost total of 30.1 lbs
Lost a total of 47.6 lbs of fat
Gained 17.5 lbs of lean mass
Body fat percentage down by 11%
Blood pressure(again with Withings) down about 10/5 points. This morning was 122/78.

Trying to swim twice a week, lift weights four days a week, and recumbent bike or treadmill twice a week. Longest distances so far are five mile run, 17 miles on the bike, and 1250 yards in the pool.

Best news? I just bought jeans with 8" smaller waist than the last pair I bought.

Eggman

About a month ago the CEO of the small company I work for gave us all Fitbits. I was a little disappointed at first, a couple of years ago she gave us all iPads!

I have to say that the Fitbit has been much more helpful than I first imagined.

For example, because I get get 'points' for going up and down stairs I've just about quit using the elevator to get to my third floor office.

Just last week our company health insurance provider set up a company fitness plan for us. It's voluntary, and is about the only way we can get a discount on our company medical policy under Obamacare rules. That's very important to us, because commerical insurance rates are going to skyrocket under Obamacare.

One way we can get the discount is for individual employees to connect their Fitbit's to the company's fitness monitoring application. Supposedly the company won't know any information about individual employees, but will get more of a discount the more employees document exercise using Fitbit and a number of similar fitness monitoring devices.

As a computer nerd I find all this monitoring to be very helpful in breaking ties when choosing between spending time in my Lazyboy or going out to exercise instead.

Last edited:
About a month ago the CEO of the small company I work for gave us all Fitbits. I was a little disappointed at first, a couple of years ago she gave us all iPads!

I have to say that the Fitbit has been much more helpful than I first imagined.

For example, because I get get 'points' for going up and down stairs I've just about quit using the elevator to get to my third floor office.

Just last week our company health insurance provider set up a company fitness plan for us. It's voluntary, and is about the only way we can get a discount on our company medical policy under Obamacare rules. That's very important to us, because commerical insurance rates are going to skyrocket under Obamacare.

One way we can get the discount is for individual employees to connect their Fitbit's to the company's fitness monitoring application. Supposedly the company won't know any information about individual employees, but will get more of a discount the more employees document exercise using Fitbit and a number of similar fitness monitoring devices.

As a computer nerd I find all this monitoring to be very helpful in breaking ties when choosing between spending time in my Lazyboy or going out to exercise instead.

Wait until you marry the FitBit with the myfitnesspal app! I record all of my exercises in the FitBit app and it will adjust the amount sent over to myfitnesspal to compensate for the exercise when it does the FitBit compensation. As an example, let's say your normal metabolic rate is 2,400 calories. You exercise for one hour on a treadmill and burn 600 calories. When you record the 600 calories, it subtracts out the 100 calories from you metabolic and sends it over to myfitnesspal as 500 calories. Pretty cool.

I am hungry all the time. I could eat 24/7. I try and convince myself that being hungry is normal, and this really does help.

Dieting is changing habits. How do you control your appetite? :dunno:

I am hungry all the time. I could eat 24/7. I try and convince myself that being hungry is normal, and this really does help.

Ice tea. Not the sugary crap either.

Cant be a diet. Those usually don't work, as in, most people gain the weight back as soon as they stop dieting. I am far from an expert, but I have learned quite a bit in the past few months. Your body needs the right amount of nutrition, macro nutrients ie. carbs, fats and protein. Also you need proper calories. Accumulating fat is simply too many calories and your body stores them. For me, the answer to hunger is to watch where my calories come from. For instance, A snicker bar is 250 cals. two 4 oz. chicken breasts are 220 cals. The snicker is almost all carbs, the chicken is almost all protein. The chicken will keep me feeling more full and for a longer time. I do still get hungry sometimes, I just keep telling myself, i control the food, it doesn't control me.

I don't control my appetite. I just control what I satisfy it with.

So I am down four gallons, have held it there for three weeks. My personal success indicator was someone other than family asking if I had lost weight, and that happened yesterday. Yay me.

Would really like to drop another gallon or two so the almost new 'skinny' shorts in my closet would not only fit, but be comfortable. However, the summer fun tour is commencing tonight, and it will be tough enough to maintain, let alone lose weight.

So I am down four gallons, have held it there for three weeks. My personal success indicator was someone other than family asking if I had lost weight, and that happened yesterday. Yay me.

Would really like to drop another gallon or two so the almost new 'skinny' shorts in my closet would not only fit, but be comfortable. However, the summer fun tour is commencing tonight, and it will be tough enough to maintain, let alone lose weight.

Love it! Using a gain in fuel as a motivator! Great going!

Congrats! I'm at just over a gallon right now.

Incredibly, I just found this thread.

I just recently got back to my old exercise routine and am working on revising my diet. I had held 185-190lbs for about 5 years. Last year (June 2012), my mother began living with us for health reasons. She was limited in what she could or wants to do, so I became much more stationary. In one year, I put on about 15 lbs. Last week, I decided enough was enough. I can't continue to risk my health and I want to be a good role model to my young daughter. So, I'm back at it!

My goal is to get back to 185lbs so I need to lose 20...

Incredibly, I just found this thread.

I just recently got back to my old exercise routine and am working on revising my diet. I had held 185-190lbs for about 5 years. Last year (June 2012), my mother began living with us for health reasons. She was limited in what she could or wants to do, so I became much more stationary. In one year, I put on about 15 lbs. Last week, I decided enough was enough. I can't continue to risk my health and I want to be a good role model to my young daughter. So, I'm back at it!

My goal is to get back to 185lbs so I need to lose 20...

Scott -- hope you are talking pounds not gallons ;) I started in January 2012 and lost a total of 12.5 gallons. My wife and friends said I looked too sickly at that weight and I took a couple of gallons back on.

Now down a total of 12 lbs... still have a way to go.

Since my aircraft is weight sensitive I got into the diet and exercise routine.have lost 20 lbs doing the low carb thing and workout 5-6 days a week.Feel great and lows me to carry more fuel.

It appears that much to my own surprise I have met my stated goal, just in time for my GP's poke and prod. I now weigh 5 pounds more than I did in college. A surprise to say the least after that fried mac and cheese. Thought that would set me back at least a month. Would have been worth it, too.

Congratulations, Michael! I'm down 4 gallons of AvGas, and Leslie's got me beat handily! In fact, we did our first 5K last Sunday on the new runway 28C/10C at O'Hare!

Congratulations, Michael! I'm down 4 gallons of AvGas, and Leslie's got me beat handily! In fact, we did our first 5K last Sunday on the new runway 28C/10C at O'Hare!

That is very good to hear Grant. Keep up the good work.

I'm at 161.2 lbs right now which is probably about right. I've stabilized at this for a few weeks now without any weight gain. Eating limited whole grain carbs, practicing portion control, and still eating lots of steak. I avoid sweets.

Update. That was Jan 2013. I ended up getting back up to about 173 lbs. I made some changes about a month ago and am at 166 as of this morning. Looking to get down to that 160.

The mistake I made was eating work provided lunch. Our company pays a portion of lunch for those who want it. Basically, I could eat REALLY good food for $4/day that was brought into our office. The problem was most of the food was carb heavy. Once I started on the carbs it reached into other parts of my life and things started to fall apart.

Dropped the work lunch, switched to minimal carb lunches, and the weight is coming off easily.

27 days in - down 18 lbs so far - another 4 to go.

Jesse
Somethings not working. Your face on your avatar still looks a little puffy,are you sure you're losing weight?:rofl:

You're still young, easier to lose. Wait till you're 62

It took me a year to lose 25lbs and 15 off the B.Pressure.
Plateau'd but want to go down 10 more
I did it by just eating less, but less of the bad stuff .
Zero exercize. Other than normal physical work.

Jesse
Somethings not working. Your face on your avatar still looks a little puffy,are you sure you're losing weight?:rofl:

You're still young, easier to lose. Wait till you're 62

It took me a year to lose 25lbs and 15 off the B.Pressure.
Plateau'd but want to go down 10 more
I did it by just eating less, but less of the bad stuff .
Zero exercize. Other than normal physical work.
Actually, that pic is a bit puffy, and I'm down since then.

When I decide to lose weight I have a lot of self control. I absolutely do not eat anything whatsoever no exceptions that is not part of my plan. I verify the ingredients of whatever I'm eating and make sure it's correct. If I have any doubt I simply don't eat until I can do it.

Actually, that pic is a bit puffy, and I'm down since then.

When I decide to lose weight I have a lot of self control. I absolutely do not eat anything whatsoever no exceptions that is not part of my plan. I verify the ingredients of whatever I'm eating and make sure it's correct. If I have any doubt I simply don't eat until I can do it.

Now that's will power.
You might want to put some rocks in your pockets to keep you from blowing away in those harsh Nebraska winds this winter.:wink2:
I haven't been 161lbs since I was in 4th or 5th grade.
At 210 I'm 5 lbs less than when I got out of high school 44 years ago.
Of course weight distribution is not the same as it was:dunno:

So who is with me on losing weight this winter?!

Since August 2012 I have lost 120 pounds, 18 inches from my waist, went from being a Type II diabetic with an A1C of 8.1 while on 112 units of Lantis insulin daily and 1,000 mg of Metformin, to an A1C of 5.5 with no insulin AND no Metformin. My cholesterol went from over 200 to 121. While I had help, I changed my diet from red meat several times a week to hardly any red meat at all. I have also substantially eliminated chicken from my diet, but will have chicken on occasion.

I am still not happy. Started juicing this week. Want to lose another 70 pounds.

The path I took got me back into flying after a 30 year hiatus. It's all about a good support system - friends, family, and others

Way to go everyone!

I did not get that additional two gallons off this summer, but frankly did not work too hard at it. Traded exercise time for wrench turning and bad lunch decisions during the annual this week, and POW there's a gallon I need to get back off. Walking in the dark in the morning is not nearly as much fun, but I think it's going to be a necessity to keep the rest of life on schedule.

I have the advantage that I can work my exercise regimen into my daily routine. I'm certain I've said I walk to work nearly every day. Don't have a parking pass for my car (big $$$$ for nonexistent spots) but I can bring in a motorcycle. Most days I don't, I just walk. I don't much like walking in the dark of the morning or night, but I have a reflective jacket and I just do it.

I think that's the thing about an exercise program. You've got to "just do it" for it to really work.

Back