Pilots Needed For Survey!!!

Sonali Bhat

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Summer
Hello everyone! I am conducting a quick aviation survey for my AP Research class. To qualify, you must be a pilot (student pilots included!!) in the United States who is 18 or older. You will be asked questions about your attitudes towards aviation and how the economic impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic have changed it. This survey is 100% confidential and is strictly for research purposes. Taking this survey will be a big help to me and my research! Thank you in advance! The link will be below :)

https://qfreeaccountssjc1.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_8qRtMzSEzX3Qd4q

Couldn't finish. Became too furious reliving the last 3 years of government mandated stupidity.

The pandemic did not effect me in any way other than being so busy at work I couldn't fly as much as I wanted. Luckily my plane never had an oil filter.

Done. As usual, one can quibble with whether a few questions could have been worded better, but overall a decent collection of data about people's attitudes. You might have included a "prefer not to answer" option on the income question. I typically select that choice or lie,

Construction wise, it's a biased survey. From the questions, you obviously already have an opinion and are looking to confirm it.
Agreed, but it was still fun answering a few of those questions.

Had to bail on the second set of questions asking me to choose among two statements. Several of them required I be engaged in aviation professionally or rely on it for income when picking an answer.

Since that was not the case and I couldn’t skip/“N/A” the answers, I did not feel comfortable skewing the results.

Had to bail on the second set of questions asking me to choose among two statements. Several of them required I be engaged in aviation professionally or rely on it for income when picking an answer.

Since that was not the case and I couldn’t skip/“N/A” the answers, I did not feel comfortable skewing the results.

well, I think one way people think about that type of question is which is the best match, kind of like which would you prefer (1) die in a car accident or (2) die in a plane crash?

but, oy, that survey would be a good example of a push poll (as far as I understand the term)

COVID-19 did not change my attitude toward aviation.
COVID-19 did change my attitude and perception of government. Before, I didn't believe government could get any worse. Afterward, I think we have only just scratched the bottom of the barrel.

Never quarantined, never took the shot, despite the governments best efforts I actually made more

My solution, government should have far less power and people should watch far less “news”

My biggest issues during “covid” wasn’t the bug as much as it was the government overstepping rights and overprinting money

I also fly for money, and agree it appeared you made your mind up about “covid” making people not want to fly when reading those questions

Done. When do we get to see the results, or at least a synopsis

And I agree with those that said the survey had a very specific implied bias.

There should have been a distinction between "Aviation (for hire)" and "General Aviation".
And the section with several questions with a sliding scale of 0 to 10 would not take "0" for an answer. I had to bump some answers up to 1, even though the description gave the meaning of a zero vote.

There should have been a distinction between "Aviation (for hire)" and "General Aviation".
And the section with several questions with a sliding scale of 0 to 10 would not take "0" for an answer. I had to bump some answers up to 1, even though the description gave the meaning of a zero vote.

Yeahhhhhhhh that's not how this works. My understanding of this scourge is:

1. Person takes some sort of low-level college course.

2. Lazy teacher assigns a "go forth into the internet and annoy its denizens with a quiz" assignment.

3. Lazy student picks a topic of interest, whips up a survey, reports the results as "research"

4. Once the stone cold C- grade is given (or worse in this case), the student ghosts the community that they joined to steal time from, never to return, never to give back or participate.

which is why I gave it the same rigor I give those ad surveys that pop up on a YT video in lieu of waiting the 6-9 seconds for skip ad button to pop up :D I call it my own personal research on the infinite monkey theorem.

P.S. Joking aside, academic rigor in US collegiate education is a joke these days. Embarrassingly low bar.

I took it. Not sure why, as that’s the first one ever.
That said, the central theme of COVID is more directed at the guys who do this for a living. It may have severely affected guys who were offered early outs, and also those who are now filling the void.

Can’t see how it affected GA all that much, but maybe I’m missing something.
(I do not consider pt 135 or 91k general aviation)

…P.S. Joking aside, academic rigor in US collegiate education is a joke these days. Embarrassingly low bar.

OP said it was for an AP class. When did college start teaching AP classes? Though that was a high school thing.

OP said it was for an AP class. When did college start teaching AP classes? Though that was a high school thing.

did I miss where the OP said it was a college class?

Is AP Advanced Placement, Aircraft & Powerplant, Associated Press, or what?

P.S. Joking aside, academic rigor in US collegiate education is a joke these days. Embarrassingly low bar.
Try high school. "Here's your 5 points for doing your work...now let's spend the rest of class seeing if it's right"

And that's when I took a nap.

Is AP Advanced Placement, Aircraft & Powerplant, Associated Press, or what?

Ask the OP, he described it as AP Research class.

Doesn’t sound like an airplane mechanic course to me though.

Hello everyone! I am conducting a quick aviation survey for my AP Research class. To qualify, you must be a pilot (student pilots included!!) in the United States who is 18 or older. You will be asked questions about your attitudes towards aviation and how the economic impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic have changed it. This survey is 100% confidential and is strictly for research purposes. Taking this survey will be a big help to me and my research! Thank you in advance! The link will be below :)

https://qfreeaccountssjc1.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_8qRtMzSEzX3Qd4q

If you would prefer not to answer this question, please type in "0000"
I typed in 0000 and it keeps saying "The value must be greater than or equal to 100"

Today flight training is busier than the last 25 years. Not sure what negative pandemic effects there are today.

Joking aside, academic rigor in US collegiate education is a joke these days. Embarrassingly low bar.

That is the truth. Getting into a good school is considerably harder than staying or getting reasonably good grades there.

For my economics program there was a funny trend where too many students failed the weed-out course for econometrics. Their solution wasn't to beef up the curriculum so students would be more prepared for the class, the solution was obviously to just drop econometrics as a requirement (they did this the yr I graduated). Incidentally, anyone notice how stupid economists have become these days? I wish I could say there was a correlation there, but jeez, since I didn't have to take econometrics I don't know how to measure correlation!

For the slider questions, clicking on the slider (set at default) should’ve set you at 0. No idea why it didn’t. And in terms of results, I’m not sure if anyone would want to see them, but if yes, I can share them when the entirety of the project is completed around May.

If you would prefer not to answer this question, please type in "0000"
I typed in 0000 and it keeps saying "The value must be greater than or equal to 100"
The “0000” value will only work for the questions pertaining to loans and debt.

Construction wise, it's a biased survey. From the questions, you obviously already have an opinion and are looking to confirm it.
Okay, well this is my first time conducting research like this. What are some questions that you think I constructed badly and what can I do to improve this for next time? Also, regardless of the question wording I believe that the data is still useful and can guide my research in a different way than I originally expected. I heard a lot from other people that in this class, things don’t go always go in your favor and you’ll have to look at things from another perspective and let that guide your research. Genuinely, I just want honest responses so I can base my research off of these results.

Okay, well this is my first time conducting research like this..
Don’t sweat it, we see this stuff several time/yr. In more advanced studies, you’ll learn significantly more about survey design. Here’s a wave-top level starting point.
https://www.pewresearch.org/our-methods/u-s-surveys/writing-survey-questions/

If you’re really doing research, you’ll need to hit a p value of .05 or less in a randomized study of the relevant population which in your case appears to be those pilots who are employed as pilots, pilots in general, and those people wanting to be pilots in general and employed as pilots. That’s 4 different populations, so ideally you’d design a survey for each of those populations and only ask the relevant questions to the specific audiences. For each of the audiences you’d determine that population size and number of responses necessary to generate a statistically significant finding in each audience.

Then there’s testing your null hypothesis. But you’re just starting out in life and in truth there’s so very little original research today (and your survey isn’t original research), I’d just recommend you keep having a desire to learn and not get hung up on the naysayers. Learn from the experience, not the data.

We're a surly bunch and hard to please in general. Add in a topic that most here feel pretty negative about how our government handled things.

This topic is quite complex and hard to capture in a survey without really understanding some of the nuances in the industry. I speak of GA as I'm just a lowly private pilot. A few of the things that effect us today are sort of caused by the pandemic, but not from an economic standpoint. Flight schools are booked 3 months out. Maintenance shops are slammed busy. Avionics upgrades have a 8-10 month wait list. A bigger problem for GA is supply chain and labor dearth. Flight schools can't keep cfi's because airlines snatch them up and now you have a reason for the wait-list. Some of us had to wait 6 months for an oil filter. It's not about not having the money to buy the filter. They're just not available. But they're not available because there was a paper shortage. There's a paper shortage because some factory somewhere was forced by their government to shutdown.

Do you have any examples/advice on how I can word these questions without making it seem like a push poll?
When you ask a question that makes no sense unless the premise you are trying to prove is true, there’s something wrong.

An example poll question…

On a scale from 1 to 20, how much guilt do you feel about the children you killed while driving drunk through a school yard?

It presumes that you have killed children while driving drunk. While perhaps not as offensive, many of your questions presumed the exact opposite of my actual experience, and indicate an unwillingness to accept any other answer, since no answer other than one you want was an option.

When you ask a question that makes no sense unless the premise you are trying to prove is true, there’s something wrong.

An example poll question…

On a scale from 1 to 20, how much guilt do you feel about the children you killed while driving drunk through a school yard?

It presumes that you have killed children while driving drunk. While perhaps not as offensive, many of your questions presumed the exact opposite of my actual experience, and indicate an unwillingness to accept any other answer, since no answer other than one you want was an option.
Okay, I understand the general concept of what you’re trying to say. However in my survey, I did include the option to disagree, agree, or stand as neutral for the questions. In your example question, it is 100% implying that your drunk driving caused deaths. I believe that my questions are only making statements, but of course you can still say that you do not agree with these statements (or N/A, that they don’t apply to you, in certain cases). On the other hand, I do see how the last set of “Agree, Neutral, Disagree” questions come off as one sided, as well as the open ended questions. After I get to analyze my data, I’ll possibly exclude certain questions (such as the free response question that was indicating that there was a crisis) in my research. And in terms of analysis of data I’m still not fully sure how to do it the correct way since I’ve never done something like this before, so I’m hoping to learn from ideas and mistakes along the way. Thanks for the suggestions.

Don’t sweat it, we see this stuff several time/yr. In more advanced studies, you’ll learn significantly more about survey design. Here’s a wave-top level starting point.
https://www.pewresearch.org/our-methods/u-s-surveys/writing-survey-questions/

If you’re really doing research, you’ll need to hit a p value of .05 or less in a randomized study of the relevant population which in your case appears to be those pilots who are employed as pilots, pilots in general, and those people wanting to be pilots in general and employed as pilots. That’s 4 different populations, so ideally you’d design a survey for each of those populations and only ask the relevant questions to the specific audiences. For each of the audiences you’d determine that population size and number of responses necessary to generate a statistically significant finding in each audience.

Then there’s testing your null hypothesis. But you’re just starting out in life and in truth there’s so very little original research today (and your survey isn’t original research), I’d just recommend you keep having a desire to learn and not get hung up on the naysayers. Learn from the experience, not the data.
Yeah you’ve got a point there. I feel like I’m going to see what I can do with this survey and use the results for my research. In the paper, I can always write about the experience including changes that had to be made, problems and limitations, and why I used the amount of data from the survey that I did. Thanks for all your help, it means a lot.

Back