"...pilot pressed a button 'no qualified pilot would' "

He hit the button labeled "FAA RMP ChK".... Surveillance cameras caught the immediate reaction here:

fbi-swat-aircraft-hr.jpg

I have a very hard time believing the switch that no pilot would push was external power. Makes no sense.

I’ve never done that….
I guess the FlightFactor 767 I play with in Xplane must have some things right. More than once, I've killed the whole damn jet, and its frustrating as hell each time. In the sim, at least, you need to reprogram the FMS and all the perf init crap. Always the same deal - I kill the ground power with the APU running but the APU gen off.

My understanding is that the APU gen on a real 767 is a dusty switch that is always left on. The sim sets it to off on each load of the airplane, so, sometimes I miss turning it back on.

All the FMS boxes and all its route/perf data gets wiped, but all three IRS(s) keep their alignment. Does that reflect what happens in a real 767 in this scenario? (Master DC on, standby set to auto, and ground power switch deactivated with APU gen off).

Speaking of things no qualified pilot would do, I decided to shut the packs off at FL340, and let the cabin get to about 18,000 ft. After turning the packs back on, the cabin repressurized itself to 10,000 FT but refused to return to a lower altitude (in AUTO, I could force it in MAN) until the next flight. Is that a simulator bug, or what a guy would expect to happen?

Last edited:
Ok, I really hate to say this, but if it was a British aircraft, would you kind of expect the electrical power to be a little bit unreliable?

Do British jets have Lucas as their supplier of electric power? If so, remind me to never ride one.

I guess the FlightFactor 767 I play with in Xplane must have some things right. More than once, I've killed the whole damn jet, and its frustrating as hell each time. In the sim, at least, you need to reprogram the FMS and all the perf init crap. Always the same deal - I kill the ground power with the APU running but the APU gen off.

My understanding is that the APU gen on a real 767 is a dusty switch that is always left on. The sim sets it to off on each load of the airplane, so, sometimes I miss turning it back on.

All the FMS boxes and all its route/perf data gets wiped, but all three IRS(s) keep their alignment. Does that reflect what happens in a real 767 in this scenario? (Master DC on, standby set to auto, and ground power switch deactivated with APU gen off).

Speaking of things no qualified pilot would do, I decided to shut the packs off at FL340, and let the cabin get to about 18,000 ft. After turning the packs back on, the cabin repressurized itself to 10,000 FT but refused to return to a lower altitude (in AUTO, I could force it in MAN) until the next flight. Is that a simulator bug, or what a guy would expect to happen?

Hehe. Reminds me of the 737-8 on Xplane. I’ve killed power to the plane exactly this same way.

I knew a CFI that did that once. And the sad thing was after the airplane was on its belly, she insisted she didn’t do anything wrong by pulling the gear switch up in the tie downs
Well, how else was she supposed to test it?

Back